ADVERTISEMENT

GOP's anti-abortion crisis

Who are you to tell me what is right? A book written by man 2000 years ago? How are we not past this yet?
It's not right but it's okay, I'm gonna make it anyway. Pack your bags up and leave, don't you dare come running back to me. It's not right, but it's okay, I'm gonna make it anyway. Close the door behind you, leave your key. I'd rather be alone than unhappy.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
And republican nutjobs are embarking on Phase II of this process.

Republican spending bill implodes over 'embarrassing' birth control spat​

Another government funding bill from Republicans was pulled on Thursday morning after many leaders refused to back several pieces of the bill, including one aimed at overturning a law that barred companies from discriminating against employees who use birth control.
The birth control plank was just one of dozens of amendments that were added to the bill from Republican lawmakers, as House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) pledged to pass the budget by the Nov. 17 shutdown deadline.

According to Politico, there were more than 100 amendments proposed in all, including some that drew rebukes from swing-district Republicans.

The law being targeted by the House GOP is a local Washington, D.C. ordinance that prevents any employer from discriminating against a worker who seeks contraception or family planning services. The GOP bill would block that from taking effect.

In an interview Sunday, Johnson was asked by Fox's Shannon Bream about some of his extreme opinions and bills regarding birth control.

"I really don't remember any of those measures," he told her.

Link
I agree it’s dumb to oppose that but is that actually happening anywhere, or is that a solution in search of a problem?

The Dobbs decision has been a disaster politically for R's....be careful of what you wish for.

The anti-abortion movement's greatest achievement — the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade — has morphed into one of the biggest election liabilities Republicans have encountered in decades.

Why it matters: President Biden's polling weakness ultimately may not matter if Republicans can't find a way to effectively message or — at the very least — sideline abortion as a national issue and driver of turnout.

• Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin's (R) bet that a "reasonable" ban on abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy — a strategy backed by major anti-abortion rights groups — was soundly rejected, as Democrats flipped the state House and kept control of the state Senate.
  • In solid-red Ohio, 56.6% of voters supported enshrining abortion rights in the state constitution — meaning abortion access has gone a stunning 7 for 7 in state ballot initiatives since the end of Roe.
What they're saying: Sen. J.D. Vance (R-Ohio) called the results a "gut punch," outlining five reasons — ranging from campaign finance failures to voter mistrust — that the anti-abortion side was defeated.

• "[W]e've spent so much time winning a legal argument on abortion that we've fallen behind on the moral argument," Vance said.
  • SBA Pro-Life America, one of the nation's top anti-abortion rights groups, warned in a memo today that Democrats are massively outspending Republicans and that abortion "will be an issue in every race in 2024."
That position is being universally echoed by Democrats too:

• "Abortion is the No. 1 issue in the 2024 campaign," Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, a top Biden surrogate, told the New York Times. "If you're not talking about protecting women's reproductive rights as a Democrat, you're not doing it right."
  • House Democrats' primary super PAC declared that abortion is "still top of mind for Americans EVERYWHERE," and predicted that their messaging contrast with Republicans will allow them to take back the House next year.
Between the lines: Anti-abortion politics are deeply ingrained in the Republican Party's power centers, making it exceedingly difficult to change voters' perceptions in time for the 2024 election.

What to watch: Ohio's abortion-rights victory has incentivized advocates to ramp up efforts to get abortion on the ballot in key 2024 states such as Arizona, Nevada and Florida.

The other side: "Advocates of same-sex marriage suffered a string of 32 losses at the ballot box before succeeding for the first time, in the bluest of states, in 2012," the editors of the National Review wrote today in defense of the anti-abortion losing streak.

• "We disagreed with their objective, and both sides are more entrenched on the abortion issue, but their success serves as a reminder that a string of defeats at the ballot box is no reason to believe a cause is lost."
The thing is, too, the pro lifers will NEVER EVER STOP on this issue. Most Republican politicians I would guess really don't care that much - just following a strategy to cater to these people. This is always going to be a thing, because again, the people who believe it's murdering babies to the core, will never let this issue go.

Sometimes morality trumps pure politics. I don't care if the right loses every election going forward if it means saving thousands of lives.
Why do you want millions more added to the populace? Do you want to pay for them? Because that's what we'll be doing.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
The real damage hasn't even come from it yet. And this is where they all now have to backtrack and admit to lying about it ever being about state's rights. It's already begun.
So what are the claiming it’s about? Out of the info loop.

So what are the claiming it’s about? Out of the info loop.
Well…after getting defeated Tuesday night in 7 elections, in the abortion arena, we are now seeing calls for standards and requirements limiting abortion at the federal level. Tim Scott called for it in the debate.

Reactions: tumorboy
Well…after getting defeated Tuesday night in 7 elections, in the abortion arena, we are now seeing calls for standards and requirements limiting abortion at the federal level. Tim Scott called for it in the debate.
Funny don’t see how that takes the issue off the table. Can see Dems/Pro Choice hang the 6 week ban on the GOP. As their standard.

As I predicted shortly after Roe was overturned, Dems will be employing the Karl Rove playbook against Republicans for decades

Rove successfully organized numerous state and local ballot initiatives around certain “hot button” issues guaranteed to drive conservative voters to the polls. Prohibition against same sex marriage, gun rights, criminal sentencing reform, school vouchers etc. He would then coordinate the rollout campaign to form PACs and ad campaigns around the issue.

It worked remarkably well as a GOTV strategy. The ads went out, Fox shows would promote and inform, Limbaugh and other RW hosts demagogued the outrage and turnout soared. Of course, the whole purpose was for these voters to check the box of the R candidates on the same ballot.

That same dynamic will work in Dems favor for the foreseeable future. Abortion access/rights is driving new voter registration. Those voters are motivated. They will vote D candidates.

Well, that's dumb. You are confusing coddling and caring.
Not at all. Many, if not most, of the children will be forced into the already overworked foster system. Others will be born to mothers of minimal means. Yet your party actively works to gut the programs these children will need.

Your ilk talks a big game of moral superiority, but you don't actually care about these children.

Not at all. Many, if not most, of the children will be forced into the already overworked foster system. Others will be born to mothers of minimal means. Yet your party actively works to gut the programs these children will need.

Your ilk talks a big game of moral superiority, but you don't actually care about these children.
It was actually encouraging that there was talk and general agreement last night that one, mental health support in this country must be expanded and two, mothers who bring a fetus to term need more support.

Reactions: srams21 and JWolf74

If you asked foster children if they'd rather have been aborted, I bet they would say "No."

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
So, do all of you believe there is such thing as right and wrong?
Virtually everyone has their own definition of right and wrong. I have mine and you have yours. On this topic we differ, on others we probably agree. Society is a collection of all of these opinions, some of which we codify into law, a few of which we hold so dear we codify them in the constitution.

I respect your right to believe what you believe, where you lose me is when a minority attempts to dictate their own religious views (through any means necessary) to the majority. Especially when you speak with such conviction that your belief is the only right belief. Society is speaking on this topic and it is quite clear the majority want something different from your view. If you don’t like it vote for people who think like you, or move someplace where they share your views. But don’t demean the voice of the majority by implying they don’t know right from wrong simply because they disagree with you.

It was actually encouraging that there was talk and general agreement last night that one, mental health support in this country must be expanded and two, mothers who bring a fetus to term need more support.
Increased mental health support must be accompanied by increased social support services (private or public funded), or it won't make much difference. If a patient can't afford the medication because of cost, because they lost insurance after losing their job, etc they won't fill it. If they can't get affordable day care, or have to work 2-3 jobs, they won't be able to go into the appointment with their psychiatrist.

Additionally we have to start paying for the things we all seemingly want. Want more psychiatrists, counselors, social workers for this expanded mental health services? You have to start paying them more to attract people to the field. Insurance needs to better cover medications, counseling better (they have made improvements in the last few years, but there's room for improvement).

If you asked foster children if they'd rather have been aborted, I bet they would say "No."
And if you ask their dead mother who was forced to carry them to term and died as a result of a medical complication that didn't meet the specific criteria that would make termination legal, I bet they wished the government kept that decision to the patient and her doctor.

And if you ask their dead mother who was forced to carry them to term and died as a result of a medical complication that didn't meet the specific criteria that would make termination legal, I bet they wished the government kept that decision to the patient and her doctor.

Probably.

That's less than 5% of abortions, though.

Good. Than you believe that an abortion should be available to a woman and the decision about whether to abort or carry to term is between a woman and her doctor.

And nobody else.

I love consensus.

I'm against killing people unless it's in self-defense or to protect innocents.

Abortion doesn't qualify.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I'm against killing people unless it's in self-defense or to protect innocents.

Abortion doesn't qualify.

The problem with your stance is the absolute nature of it, Brian. And your stance - unfortunately - is being legislated where there is no gray area for exceptions.

That’s why your stance is unworkable. You are taking the medical necessity - yes, the REPRODUCTIVE HEALTHCARE - out of the equation.

Abortion is healthcare. I know you don’t like that term, but that’s the reality.

You theocracy blinds you from the nuance and complexity of the issue.

The problem with your stance is the absolute nature of it, Brian. And your stance - unfortunately - is being legislated where there is no gray area for exceptions.

That’s why your stance is unworkable. You are taking the medical necessity - yes, the REPRODUCTIVE HEALTHCARE - out of the equation.

Abortion is healthcare. I know you don’t like that term, but that’s the reality.

You theocracy blinds you from the nuance and complexity of the issue.

Abortion is killing. That's just a fact.

I can see nuance, though.

Abortion at 5 weeks is less bad than abortion at 20 weeks, for example.

Nope. Allowing someone to die isn't the same as killing.

You're not educated on this subject, Hawk..

Yikes.

Well. As I’ve expressed to you previously, my “education” is enough to know that I don’t have a uterus and can’t get pregnant.

Therefore, I can’t make the choice.

Neither should you. Or your theocratic leaders.

Well. As I’ve expressed to you previously, my “education” is enough to know that I don’t have a uterus and can’t get pregnant.

Therefore, I can’t make the choice.

Neither should you. Or your theocratic leaders.

You are simply deflecting and changing the subject.

Everyone has an opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT