ADVERTISEMENT

GOP's anti-abortion crisis

It’s been interesting watching the far-right evangelicals working overtime to try to prevent the more mainstream GOP from recognizing that the religious right is costing them elections.

The alliance made between the GOP and the religious right decades ago made sense during the Roe era, but now it’s an albatross. The mainstream GOP needs to cut the religious right loose and back candidates that can win outside Bible thumper districts.

It’s been interesting watching the far-right evangelicals working overtime to try to prevent the more mainstream GOP from recognizing that the religious right is costing them elections.

The alliance made between the GOP and the religious right decades ago made sense during the Roe era, but now it’s an albatross. The mainstream GOP needs to cut the religious right loose and back candidates that can win outside Bible thumper districts.

Trump is leading in polls now over Biden so it may work.

This x1000. Even Republican women aren’t supporting these men who hold these positions.

The fact that Trump, a man who has lived a life as far from so-called Christian values as humanly possible, is now the standard-bearer for the religious right underscores how effed-up the religious right has become.

It's more about GOP policies than Trump's lifestyle.

The Democrat Party is the party of abortion and LGBTQ. They also seem to be much more atheistic overall.

So, I understand why some Christians are wary of that.

(For the record, I never voted for Trump and never will.)

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael

The Democrat Party is the party of abortion and LGBTQ. They also seem to be much more atheistic overall.

Trump is as pro-choice as any Democrat. He didn’t become “pro-life” until 2015, and only because he realized that winning as a Republican meant winning the religious right.

Now that Roe has been overturned, he is back to being de facto pro-choice.

Trump has no ideology or moral underpinnings. He just tilts to whatever direction political expediency demands. One would think Trump’s moral relativism would be off-putting to the religious right, but they love him.

Trump is as pro-choice as any Democrat. He didn’t become “pro-life” until 2015, and only because he realized that winning as a Republican meant winning the religious right.

Now that Roe has been overturned, he is back to being de facto pro-choice.

Trump has no ideology or moral underpinnings. He just tilts to whatever direction political expediency demands. One would think Trump’s moral relativism would be off-putting to the religious right, but they love him.

I agree Trump doesn't have any ideology. He's probably paid for abortions himself.

That being said, he did nominate 3 Supreme Court justices that overturned Roe V. Wade. And he nominated dozens of pro-life judges.

The Democrats are 100% all-in on abortion. It's like a sacrament to their party.

They also sued Churches that didn't want to pay for birth control for their employees.

Reagan sold the ethical/ moral soul of the GOP when he made his “deal” with Falwell and the “pro-life” crowd. Honestly, Republicans have never been the same since the Gipper’s election in 1980. The GOP has veered to the right ever since and now it is damn near off the tracks with this MAGA bullshit. These guys are nuts!

Yes but the GOP also essentially took the policy position of "screw the poor" and I'm pretty sure that wasn't exactly Jesus's attitude towards the poor.

Religious groups essentially have often focused on one over the other. So you right wing religious groups won't even express any discomfort much less an attempt to change the GOP's policy of "screw the poor" and your left wing religious groups won't even express any discomfort much less attempt to change the Dem's policy of at will abortions no matter when up til birth.

Reactions: goldmom
Yes but the GOP also essentially took the policy position of "screw the poor" and I'm pretty sure that wasn't exactly Jesus's attitude towards the poor.

Religious groups essentially have often focused on one over the other. So you right wing religious groups won't even express any discomfort much less an attempt to change the GOP's policy of "screw the poor" and your left wing religious groups won't even express any discomfort much less attempt to change the Dem's policy of at will abortions no matter when up til birth.

Yep.

I don't believe either parry has a Christian platform but the Democrat Party is definitely the party of secularism, at the moment.

Yep.

I don't believe either parry has a Christian platform but the Democrat Party is definitely the party of secularism, at the moment.

It's a more secular party but that's only a bad thing part of the time.

GOP can't understand we live in a multi-denominational, multi-religious society. So if we go allowing school led prayer in public schools than there is going to be fights over who says those prayers and what they contain.

There are far right denominations of Lutherans who consider it against their religious faith to pray with Christians who don't hold the same doctrines as they do. School sanctioned prayer in schools violates their religious liberty too, not to mention anyone who doesn't consider themselves Christian.

On the other hand it becomes a bad thing when a pharmacist doesn't want to sell birth control or abortion causing drugs in his pharmacy and the left wing goes to war to try to force him to sell those.

I was raised Baptist and was taught that life on earth is minuscule compared to eternity in heaven. I was taught that children that die before they can understand the meaning of being “Saved” go to heaven.

If life begins at conception (like most religious groups believe) than having an abortion would send that child to heaven. Compared to if they were born and lived until 100 and never accepted Christ they would go to hell.

By their beliefs isn’t having an abortion and millions of children entering the gates of heaven better than living on earth to an old age and going to Hell when they die?

Guys: it’s not a crisis for Republicans if you just ignore the will of the people and the results of a free and fair election (again).

• Wow
Reactions: artradley
I was raised Baptist and was taught that life on earth is minuscule compared to eternity in heaven. I was taught that children that die before they can understand the meaning of being “Saved” go to heaven.

If life begins at conception (like most religious groups believe) than having an abortion would send that child to heaven. Compared to if they were born and lived until 100 and never accepted Christ they would go to hell.

By their beliefs isn’t having an abortion and millions of children entering the gates of heaven better than living on earth to an old age and going to Hell when they die?

Only if you believe murder is acceptable as long as the person you murdered is Christian.

Reactions: BrianNole777
The Bible teaches that if a person murders another person and then becomes “Saved” that person is not denied heaven.

That doesn't make the murder ok in the first place. And murdering with the intent of repenting later seems to not be taking the whole faith seriously at all.

That doesn't make the murder ok in the first place. And murdering with the intent of repenting later seems to not be taking the whole faith seriously at all.
Thou shalt not kill is no more a sin then committing any of the other Ten Commandments. In Gods eyes sin is sin. We’re all sinners and the wages of sin is death. People would like to think just because you kill somebody you’re going to hell. It’s actually no more a sin in Gods eyes than taking his name in vain or cheating on your wife.

None of us deserve heaven but if you ask God for forgiveness and ask him into your heart that by by the Bibles definition “Saves” you. Being a great person and always trying to do the right things doesn’t get you into heaven.

A “Saved” person still commits sin but that doesn’t keep that person from going to heaven is the teaching's of the Bible. Didn’t mean for this to get this deep but I do believe in “Pro Choice”.

Dude, there absolutely no evidence for that

The soul?

We should plan on it. We're all waiting to die, my friend.

Yep.

As politics should be. There is very little, if any room in politics for any religion. Religion and politics leads to a form of authoritarianis and a limit of freedom.
Because Republicans know what is best! I. Know because Terry Branstad told me so!

As politics should be. There is very little, if any room in politics for any religion. Religion and politics leads to a form of authoritarianis and a limit of freedom.

Because Republicans know what is best! I. Know because Terry Branstad told me so!
What happened to separation of church and state? I remember when Chuck Grassley came to our church and spoke way back when he first ran for the senate. The next Sunday a half dozen families didn’t come back.

Reactions: Urohawk
Here's the argument to pose to the brians and other simple-minded pro-lifers:

A room is on fire. A baby crying in a corner. A tray of 30 fertilized eggs in the opposite corner.

You have time to rescue one corner.

Pro-lifer, which corner do you save? one life or 30?

Ronna is RNC Chair? I guess when the RNC Chair says her job is not to voice her opinion on Republican candidate's positions on matters, she should look for another job.

Oh, and BTW, the American public does not agree with the Republican position on abortion. Stupid is as stupid does. Where does the Republican party come up with these clowns?

Reactions: franklinman
Ronna is RNC Chair? I guess when the RNC Chair says her job is not to voice her opinion on Republican candidate's positions on matters, she should look for another job.

Oh, and BTW, the American public does not agree with the Republican position on abortion. Stupid is as stupid does. Where does the Republican party come up with these clowns?
The get them from.....Republicans!

Reactions: ft254
If you think your position is right then it must be reassuring to know that if you don’t want an abortion then no one is forcing you to have one.

THIS is the issue. It's a rights issue. The Republicans are balls out (sorry Mom) for personal rights, state's rights, rights this, rights that, don't infringe on me. But have sold themselves out on the abortion issue, which is a loser, and have banked on the phony moral life question, which they apply to nothing else, having no empathy or consideration for human suffering or even concern for existence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT