ADVERTISEMENT

GRADES IOWA vs Iowa st.

Now we're giving kudos for not getting majored by a kid ranked 19, interesting take.
Uh come again? Who are you referring to? Task I guess? Please re-read and look at grade! The only things I gave him credit for was a tuff ride, and not getting decked!
25-Ayala over Terukina 3-0
33-Frost over Schriever 3-3
41-Echemendia over Block 3-6
49-Johnson over VV 3-9
57-Chittum over Ferrari 3-12
65-Caliendo TF over ? 8-12
74-Arnold MD Gaitan 12-12
84-Brands over Naaktgeboren 15-12
97-Glaizer over Bartlett 18-12
285-Bastia MD Hill 18-15 IOWA

Will still be very close. Injuries and transfers can obviously change the dual. I think it’s 5-5 again in matches like two years ago but Iowa wins with bonus.
This will not be close to our line-up and we still win LOL.

49-Johnson over VV 3-9
285-Bastia MD Hill 18-15 IOWA

Will still be very close. Injuries and transfers can obviously change the dual.
I have no inside info but I think we get 2ish AA transfers to go along with the elder Ferrari based on precedent. I also have my doubts that Hill will be the guy next year.

49-Johnson over VV 3-9
285-Bastia TF Hill 18-17 IOWA

Will still be very close. Injuries and transfers can obviously change the dual. I think it’s 5-5 again in matches like two years ago but Iowa wins with bonus.
I doubt thats the lineup next year but if thats it than yes thats a good break down. Hill wont be heavy next year. THey will have to bring someone else in and I am guessing we will hear some news on 197 this week..

Uh come again? Who are you referring to? Task I guess? Please re-read and look at grade! The only things I gave him credit for was a tuff ride, and not getting decked!

I have no inside info but I think we get 2ish AA transfers to go along with the elder Ferrari based on precedent. I also have my doubts that Hill will be the guy next year.
Both of you could be right. I’m just saying based on what both teams have NOW it will still be a winnable dual for ISU next year if it’s 1st semester again.

going to be hard to recruit another 285 knowing they only have a spot until football season is over
BIG Ben has not put in any significant time according to reports? It remains to be seen what happens 2nd semester but unless some miracles happen!?!?!? We just will not be getting much out of this kid. If his plan is to stay with 2 sports? It is highly unlikely with the current protocol, that he will have the training needed to be a heavy weight good enough for what we need.

It seems more likely that he just plays Football? If he does, hoping it works out for him.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Yeah, more went wrong than right, even with the win (even MORE went wrong for Iowa St, though...). The three best wrestlers coming into the match all severely underachieved. Woods and Franek probably rightfully both should have lost except for questionable refereeing, and Caliendo was clearly not in the same universe as Carr (few are, but he looked like a fringe AA at best, not a dark horse contender...). In addition, Teske and VV3 did not have even the appearance of AA contenders, and PK gassed badly and was lucky to survive.

On the plus side were Ayala, who was in control against a good opponent the whole match, and obviously Gabe, who was the star of the whole dual (along with Carr, I guess). I'll also give PK a pass considering he's not in match condition yet and wrestling up a weight (and was able to hang on for the W), but he does need to improve that as he gets back in the swing. Glazier was the final bright spot in the clincher, and Hill is overmatched and shouldn't be out there, but that's not his fault.

It's great to win a rivalry match, but this should be setting off alarm bells for the long term outlook this year.
Not going to judge PK yet, coming off a knee scope 1-2 was ago, moving up a weight and not being in wrestling shape. If he was in shape and not injured, he would have teched him.

BIG Ben has not put in any significant time according to reports? It remains to be seen what happens 2nd semester but unless some miracles happen!?!?!? We just will not be getting much out of this kid. If his plan is to stay with 2 sports? It is highly unlikely with the current protocol, that he will have the training needed to be a heavy weight good enough for what we need.

It seems more likely that he just plays Football? If he does, hoping it works out for him.
Any kid doing football and wrestling also runs a huge risk of starting the wrestling season dinged up at the very least from football or missing significant time from a football injury. This year, he should be OK since he didn't really play much for the football team, but as he gains playing time, this becomes a significant risk when projecting future years for wrestling.

Not going to judge PK yet, coming off a knee scope 1-2 was ago, moving up a weight and not being in wrestling shape. If he was in shape and not injured, he would have teched him.
I did basically say the exact same thing (except the part about projecting a TF).

Any kid doing football and wrestling also runs a huge risk of starting the wrestling season dinged up at the very least from football or missing significant time from a football injury. This year, he should be OK since he didn't really play much for the football team, but as he gains playing time, this becomes a significant risk when projecting future years for wrestling.
Practice can even take you out, look at our star corner back out for the year from practice injury.

They have a very good chance of beating Iowa next year also.
When Iowa doesn't have BK until January, that certainly is huge.
And Iowa isn't getting a highly ranked Hwt until Keuter gives up wrestling.
Based on the last off season, pretty easy to expect TnT will use the portal for 125 or 133, 141 and/or whatever weight the smallest Ferrari isn't manning.

Based on the last off season, pretty easy to expect TnT will use the portal for 125 or 133, 141 and/or whatever weight the smallest Ferrari isn't manning.
Linebacker room clears out after this year. If Kueter doesn’t at least get spot duty next year, then we may get a decision.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Are Blaze and Deluca only juniors? If so, would be nice to get one of them, and a Franek type 125 coming in as a senior so Drake can eat and lift more at 133. Remember how much better Morningstar and max murin were after going up weight.
Would be nice to get Deluca or Blaze for 125, but I think they are juniors? Use portal to get Franek type senior at 125, so Drake can eat and lift at 133. Agree 141 will be big issue because Block has grown more and not sure how effective he can be with big cut? The kid from California coming in is short, but thick, so I don’t think he plan going any smaller than 149.

Last edited:

He was a U20 world champion as an 18 year old, all the while being a 3 or 4 sport athlete at City. That puts him in elite wrestling company coming out of high school and he’s going to be better than most on wrestling talent alone.

Is he ever going to be finalist material, that’s TBD? But to say he won’t be good enough is just baloney. His pedigree says he already is.

Based on the last off season, pretty easy to expect TnT will use the portal for 125 or 133, 141 and/or whatever weight the smallest Ferrari isn't

Read it again and yup, credit to not getting stuck by the 19 guy.

The backend of the lineup saved us from defeat! Remind who works with those guys the most Star and Telford! But let’s get rid of them! They are terrible, right?
Yep, M* has worked magic with Gabe. He was a hammer before he stepped in our room. What a fool you are. lol
Kennedy was better in high school than anything he has shown at Iowa.
Glazier is a top 25 guy, maybe.

Reactions: el dub
Is Schreiver suspended for year? Id really like to get another look at him. I dont know if injury is affecting Teske but for now he just doesnt look the part but maybe I was spoiled with ADS.
I’m with you. Teske just does not look good. Hope he can find another gear and make something happen because this version might have a tough time going 1-2 let alone 2-2 at NCAAs.

He was a U20 world champion as an 18 year old, all the while being a 3 or 4 sport athlete at City. That puts him in elite wrestling company coming out of high school and he’s going to be better than most on wrestling talent alone.

Is he ever going to be finalist material, that’s TBD? But to say he won’t be good enough is just baloney. His pedigree says he already is.
I did not say the talent is not there. What I said is it does not appear that we will get much if anything out of him due to football. I do not care how much talent he brings to the table! If he does get in the room to train and improve his wrestling? I stand by what I said, he will not be good enough for what IOWA needs to knock off F*** st!!!

We need a hammer at every weight from the way I see it. I will say this, if the kid is good enough to step off the gridiron and onto the mats and become a high AA? I will eat Crow!!!

I did not say the talent is not there. What I said is it does not appear that we will get much if anything out of him due to football. I do not care how much talent he brings to the table! If he does get in the room to train and improve his wrestling? I stand by what I said, he will not be good enough for what IOWA needs to knock off F*** st!!!

We need a hammer at every weight from the way I see it. I will say this, if the kid is good enough to step off the gridiron and onto the mats and become a high AA? I will eat Crow!!!
A part time wrestler, who doesn’t get in the room until January, I don’t see how that’s ideal for team or wrestler. The better he gets at fball the less I see the desire to risk it wrestling.

Overall both teams wrestled very well. I was dissapointed at a few weights for Hawks but hopefully we see improvement soon. Outstanding Hawk Wrestler goes to PK from my viewpoint. I remember Stoll and Lee stepping up historically and now PK. These guys gave it all for the team and left it all out on the mat.

Last edited:
Kueter being an AA this year would be amazing. IF he goes this year R16 would be really good
I think you guys are underestimating Kueters talent a little bit. I can agree it’s hard on the team and Ben to be doing both. I guess I look at it similar to Gabe they are both extremely gifted and will only get better in that room. I am not expecting Ben to be a finalist but I would not be surprised at all if he was an AA if he does wrestle this year.

I think you guys are underestimating Kueters talent a little bit. I can agree it’s hard on the team and Ben to be doing both. I guess I look at it similar to Gabe they are both extremely gifted and will only get better in that room. I am not expecting Ben to be a finalist but I would not be surprised at all if he was an AA if he does wrestle this year.
And 1 guy wrestles people his weight . While Ben will be 230 lbs against bigger HWTs. Also when you're the dominant HS kid you're NEVER on bottom ever. I know this sport fairly well and I stick by my analysis. Also I have seen Ben train for many hours while at Sebolt. Fans will put expectations on him that aren't realistic

Last edited:

Remember he is a true freshman. Mason Parris lost to an injured Sam Stoll as a true freshman at NCAAs and did not make the podium. There is no doubt in my mind that Ben Kueter would be a AA in his 2nd year. I think he is a 4X AA and title contender his last 2 years with a red shirt. I do think he will struggle some if he goes this year. I project him as a NQ 1-2/7th

IMO the best roster for the next 2 seasons would be this
2023/24 2024/25
125 Ayala Ayala
133 Teske/Schriever Schriever/Petersen
141 Woods Block/Petersen
149 Ferrari/VV VV/Rathjen
157 Franek Ferrari
165 Cailendo Cailendo
174 Kennedy Kennedy
184 Gabe Brands(Red Shirt both Gabe and Angelo)
197 Glazier AJ Ferrari
285 AJ Ferrari Ben Kueter
RS Kueter
Let Gabe and Angelo train together in red shirt season and they can figure out who is 174/184 for the 2025 season. I think BK needs a RS season more than Gabe. If AJ is bulked up let him wrestle HWT this year and move down the following year. You can call me crazy but I think Gabe Arnold can win 184 this year.

He's beat Iowa every time he has wrestled them. He went to Iowa State because they gave his dad a cushy job. I'm sure he's a great young man and I'm sure I would love him if he was a Hawk and if I interviewed him for job tomorrow I would probably hire him but for right now I root against him.
lame...

IMO the best roster for the next 2 seasons would be this
2023/24 2024/25
125 Ayala Ayala
133 Teske/Schriever Schriever/Petersen
141 Woods Block/Petersen
149 Ferrari/VV VV/Rathjen
157 Franek Ferrari
165 Cailendo Cailendo
174 Kennedy Kennedy
184 Gabe Brands(Red Shirt both Gabe and Angelo)
197 Glazier AJ Ferrari
285 AJ Ferrari Ben Kueter
RS Kueter
Let Gabe and Angelo train together in red shirt season and they can figure out who is 174/184 for the 2025 season. I think BK needs a RS season more than Gabe. If AJ is bulked up let him wrestle HWT this year and move down the following year. You can call me crazy but I think Gabe Arnold can win 184 this year.
Gabe is THE MAN!! And 84 is not one of the most stacked weights. However, that's a tall tree to climb. I love what I see and I hope you're right, but I will be monumentally impressed if he can take out Foca, Truax, Munoz and Keckeisen. Hopefully I can see Gabe beat Truax when PSU comes to Iowa City this year...and I'm also hoping we Ben will come out to play as well. Would love to see how he looks against Kerk! :)

Gabe is THE MAN!! And 84 is not one of the most stacked weights. However, that's a tall tree to climb. I love what I see and I hope you're right, but I will be monumentally impressed if he can take out Foca, Truax, Munoz and Keckeisen. Hopefully I can see Gabe beat Truax when PSU comes to Iowa City this year...and I'm also hoping we Ben will come out to play as well. Would love to see how he looks against Kerk! :)
Kerk would likely destroy him. Kueter has yet to even wrestle 285 besides bumping up vs highschool chumps. Unless he was able to gain a good bit of weight since school started he will be on the small side. His height will help with being undersized but he will be disadvantaged vs a number of full blown college heavies. He was a man amongst boys in highschool strength wise but that won't be the case now.

Kerk would likely destroy him. Kueter has yet to even wrestle 285 besides bumping up vs highschool chumps. Unless he was able to gain a good bit of weight since school started he will be on the small side. His height will help with being undersized but he will be disadvantaged vs a number of full blown college heavies. He was a man amongst boys in highschool strength wise but that won't be the case now.
^ THIS I see about ZERO % chance he rolls out against KerKin, and ZERO % chance he could win and I am the biggest IOWA homer on here!

I hope I am 100% wrong on everything and the kid is now 285 of JACKED MUSCLE and wipes CARVER with his ass!!! Hope he looks like a 6-4 version of GABE!!! Someone PLEASE tell me this is the case!

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
when Spencer took top you know he was imposing his will and it was the Armbar and the Tilt series and he was relentless ....switching from one technique to another.... we had DeSanto , Max, Kemdawg, Young and The Bull with those tough punishing rides and looking to score. This year it seems that we look to sink in a deep claw or spiral ride and hope to stay behind and i just don't see anyone using that top position ( except Woods) to punish their opponents and to score back-points in various holds or series.- with the emergence of the 3 point takedown we may need to shift away from just hanging on to getting on our feet and working takedowns. Hell, even taking neutral and going for that takedown is better than giving up the easy escape and giving away points HOPING to catch that riding time point.

Back to thread topic..my BIL, an ISU fan, still thinks the Clones are the better team after Sunday.

Wishful thinking and not able to accept reality.

• Haha
Reactions: Spoons
Foca moving up does make 184 more challenging, but 174 with Starocci, Mekhi, and Griffith lurking is almost as imposing of a meat grinder as 165. Gabe's best chance to win it all this year is definitely 184. Winning any weight is tough, though, obviously.

Foca moving up does make 184 more challenging, but 174 with Starocci, Mekhi, and Griffith lurking is almost as imposing of a meat grinder as 165. Gabe's best chance to win it all this year is definitely 184. Winning any weight is tough, though, obviously.
Absolutely concur with that. Wouldn't want any part of those two weight classes. I'm hoping Lewis and Griffith will have something for Star, but it sure doesn't look that way. Still pissed that Kem lost to him!

Reactions: Trapper85
Absolutely concur with that. Wouldn't want any part of those two weight classes. I'm hoping Lewis and Griffith will have something for Star, but it sure doesn't look that way. Still pissed that Kem lost to him!
Gabe already made it clear responding to Willie, that 184 was a one time thing. star already destroyed Lewis, so our best hope is probably Griffith.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT