ADVERTISEMENT

GRADES IOWA vs Iowa st.

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
125 Ayala - 97 Takes out number 8 ranked kid coming off a bad lose in front of a HUGE crowd! Wrestled a smart match, would have liked to see him open up a little more but pretty much all you could have asked for!

133 Teske- 68 Got in 3 times, 2 times in 1st period and could not finish. Give him some credit for holding him down for 40+ seconds and fighting off back to not give up bonus

141 Woods 79 Played into his opponents hand. Believe he said it in interview, "gave the kid TWOOO much respect." Have to get a TD in 1st and get to work on top

149 Triple V3 68 Not sure if it was coaches call on choice in 2nd? but he needs to TAKE TOP there!!!! Score being what it was, you have to take a shot at your best position. Not sure if it is his knee or not but just can not seem to shoot at all???

157 Franek 74 Dodged a bullet!!! 1st TD looked smooth and I though the rout was on. Did not seem to stay on gas and at the end have to be smarter then that!

165 Caliendo 70 Carr is on another level

174 KENNEDY MAN was that nice to see!!!! Grade??? something like 100 99 98 97 96 95 94........ ALL the way down to about a 55 so take the average and give him a 75. Looked excellent and faded so choke it up to not competing and a possible injury?? In any case was a BIG win

184 ARNOLD!!!! 98 true freshman has stepped in and stepped up for IOWA!!! Takes out #6 up a weight!!! ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!! What HORSE POWER he has. Should not have taken the 1st stall call is my only suggestion but obviously fighting to not give up the point.

197 GLAZIER give him the 8-3 baby, match on the line, great job!

Heavy Hill 70 just not at that level, wishing BIG CASS was there!

CROWD was AWESOME, though ESPN did a nice job. Felt we got hosed a few times on quick stall calls, Give the IOWA coaches credit for rolling out Kennedy and moving up Arnold! Won us the match!

Last edited:
Bright spots, Gabe and Glazier clinching it. PK not healthy, one legged, not in shape but won. Ayala, that is not his best he’s so timid but started with a win.
Negatives, can’t finish shots, giving up escapes to end periods, not controlling pace & ties.

Overall, isu should be embarrassed, Iowa fans all over Hilton, chants of “let’s go hawks” deafened the place. Dresser is just a typical isu cosch, always coming up short.

Bright spots, Gabe and Glazier clinching it. PK not healthy, one legged, not in shape but won. Ayala, that is not his best he’s so timid but started with a win.
Negatives, can’t finish shots, giving up escapes to end periods, not controlling pace & ties.

Overall, isu should be embarrassed, Iowa fans all over Hilton, chants of “let’s go hawks” deafened the place. Dresser is just a typical isu cosch, always coming up short.
I can’t even fathom how pissed the Cyclone faithful have to be. Looked like they were going to break the streak and had so many opportunities. When Frost got the upset win over Teske, I thought we were in big trouble. Huge heart shown by PK and Gabe giving up size and length and beating ranked wrestlers. PK clearly not healthy and not in wrestling shape, showed the heart of a lion. Gabe has wrestled two duals and has cemented himself into the Hawkeye annals with both wins. Lots of excitement on the horizon for big Gabe.

our high ranked guys fell right into their pace. Hats off to the 2 guys bumping up and Glazier.
I don’t think anyone thought Glazier was going to be the starter at 197, but he showed a lot of heart getting that win, clinching the dual. I know he lost a head to head matchup with Franklin last year, not sure if Kolby has regressed or is injured.

Last edited:
The backend of the lineup saved us from defeat! Remind who works with those guys the most Star and Telford! But let’s get rid of them! They are terrible, right?

The backend of the lineup saved us from defeat! Remind who works with those guys the most Star and Telford! But let’s get rid of them! They are terrible, right?
Idk how much credit I’d be giving to those two, nothing against them tho. Kennedy was all over brands to let him go, injured with no tank, Gabe’s a freshman who doesn’t seem to be phased by the spotlight, glazier finally breaks into the lineup after years behind Warner.

125 Ayala - A- Good win for him after last weeks poor finish. Still need to see him drive the pace a lot more if he's going to do well. I think the ability is there the mental game needs a bump.

133 Teske- C- This is just what we have at this weight right now. Probably blood round is the ceiling

141 B Woods Really hoping his comments on the match were correct and the game plan was a little wrong. Either way I'm not worried but a bit concerned.

149 Triple V3 B- I still have not idea what to think about this guy.

157 Franek B I really don't see him passing the eye test as a finals type of guy. Probably an all American though

165 Caliendo C- I really hate David Carr and would have really appreciated no bonus points here.

174 KENNEDY A- Tried really hard to lose it at the end but got the job done. Gabe Arnold is going to make this a problem for TNT.

184 ARNOLD A+ It's really nice to have this guy on the team. I see this guy as the future of the program.

197 GLAZIER A Really good match that hopefully will build some self confidence here. Starting to think if we get a sports car we push him up a class.

285 Hill I miss Fat Tony or baring that any Tony.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
125 Ayala - A- Good win for him after last weeks poor finish. Still need to see him drive the pace a lot more if he's going to do well. I think the ability is there the mental game needs a bump.

133 Teske- C- This is just what we have at this weight right now. Probably blood round is the ceiling

141 B Woods Really hoping his comments on the match were correct and the game plan was a little wrong. Either way I'm not worried but a bit concerned.

149 Triple V3 B- I still have not idea what to think about this guy.

157 Franek B I really don't see him passing the eye test as a finals type of guy. Probably an all American though

165 Caliendo C- I really hate David Carr and would have really appreciated no bonus points here.

174 KENNEDY A- Tried really hard to lose it at the end but got the job done. Gabe Arnold is going to make this a problem for TNT.

184 ARNOLD A+ It's really nice to have this guy on the team. I see this guy as the future of the program.

197 GLAZIER A Really good match that hopefully will build some self confidence here. Starting to think if we get a sports car we push him up a class.

285 Hill I miss Fat Tony or baring that any Tony.
Glazier started at 184, and looks like he could cut to that weight if needed. Would make Hill look like a big heavyweight

how can you hate carr,great kid kick ass wrestler
He's beat Iowa every time he has wrestled them. He went to Iowa State because they gave his dad a cushy job. I'm sure he's a great young man and I'm sure I would love him if he was a Hawk and if I interviewed him for job tomorrow I would probably hire him but for right now I root against him.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
I can’t even fathom how pissed the Cyclone faithful have to be. Looked like they were going to break the streak and had so many opportunities. When Frost got the upset win over Teske, I thought we were in big trouble. Huge heart shown by PK and Gabe giving up size and length and beating ranked wrestlers. PK clearly not healthy and not in wrestling shape, showed the heart of a lion. Gabe has wrestled two duals and has cemented himself into the Hawkeye annals with both wins. Lots of excitement on the horizon for big Gabe.
I'm with you my friend. Gabe and PK are the MVPs. Gabe is clearly the man and PK did everything he could to hold onto the win. And more WRT PK, he actually got solid TDs whereas some of our injury-free guys couldn't find more than one TD to save their asses and our top dogs almost lost at the end (dodged them big time at 41 and 57). Like you said, PK showed the heart of a lion! Also, hat's off to Glazier for making it happen when it was all on the line!

Grades:
25: A
33: D
41: C- way too talented to almost lose at the end of regulation
49: D
57: C- same comment as that for 41
65: B- way out classed WRT abilities
74: A+: injured and out of wrestling condition and he had more TDs than 33, 41, 49, 57 and 65 combined. WTH!
84: A+ the big man on campus for the second week in a row...love Gabe!!
97: A
HWT: B - way out classed WRT abilities

Teske looking like crap was part of everything going right?
I'm with you. I don't think half of the matches went right. I didn't like that the endings to 41 and 57 were a second away from our #1 and #2 guys in the country losing. And I didn't like watching Teske get schooled, nor did care too much for VV looking almost as out of place against Casey as Caliendo did against Carr. No everything definitely did not go right...

I'm with you my friend. Gabe and PK are the MVPs. Gabe is clearly the man and PK did everything he could to hold onto the win. And more WRT PK, he actually got solid TDs whereas some of our injury-free guys couldn't find more than one TD to save their asses and our top dogs almost lost at the end (dodged them big time at 41 and 57). Like you said, PK showed the heart of a lion! Also, hat's off to Glazier for making it happen when it was all on the line!

Grades:
25: A
33: D
41: C- way too talented to almost lose at the end of regulation
49: D
57: C- same comment as that for 41
65: B- way out classed WRT abilities
74: A+: injured and out of wrestling condition and he had more TDs than 33, 41, 49, 57 and 65 combined. WTH!
84: A+ the big man on campus for the second week in a row...love Gabe!!
97: A
HWT: B - way out classed WRT abilities
I almost forgot to give love to Drake Ayala. I picked against him going into the match, after his poor performance vs Oregon’s St, but he looked great against Terukina who was coming off a win by pin off Badger AA Barnett. Drake set the tone early, and displayed a variety of TD offense attempts and his defense and scrambling was really solid. Well done Drake, keep it up!

I almost forgot to give love to Drake Ayala. I picked against him going into the match, after his poor performance vs Oregon’s St, but he looked great against Terukina who was coming off a win by pin off Badger AA Barnett. Drake set the tone early, and displayed a variety of TD offense attempts and his defense and scrambling was really solid. Well done Drake, keep it up!
I think Drake was sick against OSU. That is why his face looked so sucked in. That and a tough cut anyway made for a poor performance. He is much better than some here give him credit for, but will have all season to proove it.

I think Drake was sick against OSU. That is why his face looked so sucked in. That and a tough cut anyway made for a poor performance. He is much better than some here give him credit for, but will have all season to proove it.
He definitely was as were others. And maybe why we haven't seen Tom doing everything lately

Need to let him go 133 next year and get a stud freshman or transfer to man 125. He’s so lanky at 125. May be much stronger even up a weight if he could fill out that frame with some eating and a lot of lifting. Hook up with the Ferraris for lifting in the offseason.

As someone else already stated, I think Drake needs to gain more confidence and he'll be rocking. We all say it but I'll say it again, 125 is wide open and he's as capable as the next guy in my opinion. Definitely a top 3 if he brings his game.

He is going to have to get a lot better on top. You have to be able to ride guys a little in tight matches. Getting a TD and then having a restart with 17 seconds and not being able to ride out will be huge come NCAAs. Ending periods on top, actually threatening a tilt, win the 30 sec OT ride outs.......those are the things that will win or lose a couple of matches at NCAAs for Drake. Good news is it's only November.

Last edited:
125 Ayala - 97 Takes out number 8 ranked kid coming off a bad lose in front of a HUGE crowd! Wrestled a smart match, would have liked to see him open up a little more but pretty much all you could have asked for!

133 Teske- 68 Got in 3 times, 2 times in 1st period and could not finish. Give him some credit for holding him down for 40+ seconds and fighting off back to not give up bonus

141 Woods 79 Played into his opponents hand. Believe he said it in interview, "gave the kid TWOOO much respect." Have to get a TD in 1st and get to work on top

149 Triple V3 68 Not sure if it was coaches call on choice in 2nd? but he needs to TAKE TOP there!!!! Score being what it was, you have to take a shot at your best position. Not sure if it is his knee or not but just can not seem to shoot at all???

157 Franek 74 Dodged a bullet!!! 1st TD looked smooth and I though the rout was on. Did not seem to stay on gas and at the end have to be smarter then that!

165 Caliendo 70 Carr is on another level

174 KENNEDY MAN was that nice to see!!!! Grade??? something like 100 99 98 97 96 95 94........ ALL the way down to about a 55 so take the average and give him a 75. Looked excellent and faded so choke it up to not competing and a possible injury?? In any case was a BIG win

184 ARNOLD!!!! 98 true freshman has stepped in and stepped up for IOWA!!! Takes out #6 up a weight!!! ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!! What HORSE POWER he has. Should not have taken the 1st stall call is my only suggestion but obviously fighting to not give up the point.

197 GLAZIER give him the 8-3 baby, match on the line, great job!

Heavy Hill 70 just not at that level, wishing BIG CASS was there!

CROWD was AWESOME, though ESPN did a nice job. Felt we got hosed a few times on quick stall calls, Give the IOWA coaches credit for rolling out Kennedy and moving up Arnold! Won us the match!
Now we're giving kudos for not getting majored by a kid ranked 19, interesting take.

As someone else already stated, I think Drake needs to gain more confidence and he'll be rocking. We all say it but I'll say it again, 125 is wide open and he's as capable as the next guy in my opinion. Definitely a top 3 if he brings his game.
The way he competes, he’s going to have ups and downs. He’s going to win a match vs a top 10 kid, then drop one the next week. With his motor and offensive skill set, I can’t figure out why he isn’t more aggressive early. Not too many guys can handle his pressure when he decides to bring it. I agree that he needs to get better on top. He doesn’t even really compete from the top position at the moment.

I'm with you. I don't think half of the matches went right. I didn't like that the endings to 41 and 57 were a second away from our #1 and #2 guys in the country losing. And I didn't like watching Teske get schooled, nor did care too much for VV looking almost as out of place against Casey as Caliendo did against Carr. No everything definitely did not go right...
Yeah, more went wrong than right, even with the win (even MORE went wrong for Iowa St, though...). The three best wrestlers coming into the match all severely underachieved. Woods and Franek probably rightfully both should have lost except for questionable refereeing, and Caliendo was clearly not in the same universe as Carr (few are, but he looked like a fringe AA at best, not a dark horse contender...). In addition, Teske and VV3 did not have even the appearance of AA contenders, and PK gassed badly and was lucky to survive.

On the plus side were Ayala, who was in control against a good opponent the whole match, and obviously Gabe, who was the star of the whole dual (along with Carr, I guess). I'll also give PK a pass considering he's not in match condition yet and wrestling up a weight (and was able to hang on for the W), but he does need to improve that as he gets back in the swing. Glazier was the final bright spot in the clincher, and Hill is overmatched and shouldn't be out there, but that's not his fault.

It's great to win a rivalry match, but this should be setting off alarm bells for the long term outlook this year.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
He's beat Iowa every time he has wrestled them. He went to Iowa State because they gave his dad a cushy job. I'm sure he's a great young man and I'm sure I would love him if he was a Hawk and if I interviewed him for job tomorrow I would probably hire him but for right now I root against him.
sorry if you felt like i called you out red, i hate the word hate, i knew what you meant and felt bad after i posted

Is Schreiver suspended for year? Id really like to get another look at him. I dont know if injury is affecting Teske but for now he just doesnt look the part but maybe I was spoiled with ADS.

25-Ayala over Terukina 3-0
33-Frost over Schriever 3-3
41-Echemendia over Block 3-6
49-Johnson over VV 3-9
57-Chittum over Ferrari 3-12
65-Caliendo TF over ? 8-12
74-Arnold MD Gaitan 12-12
84-Brands over Naaktgeboren 15-12
97-Glaizer over Bartlett 18-12
285-Bastia TF Hill 18-17 IOWA

Will still be very close. Injuries and transfers can obviously change the dual. I think it’s 5-5 again in matches like two years ago but Iowa wins with bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkgma
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT