ADVERTISEMENT

Have we discussed Coach Prime going to Colorado?

It's not going to work. You have to build a good base with HS kids that grow and mesh together. After that you fill in some holes with the portal. Much like FA in the NFL, the portal exists to replace a few positions you were unable to do so through recruiting/the draft. It's not meant to build a team.
Well, we certainly are going to find out.

This is actually by design. Deion is on the record stating that his extensive use of the transfer portal wasn't just a one-time thing to quickly revamp the roster. I don't recall the exact percentages, but he said that going forward he wants his standard recruiting to be something like 50-75% portal and only about 25-50% high school recruits.

I know he's talked about emphasizing the portal more, but only signing 6 high school kids is nuts.

It's not going to work. You have to build a good base with HS kids that grow and mesh together. After that you fill in some holes with the portal. Much like FA in the NFL, the portal exists to replace a few positions you were unable to do so through recruiting/the draft. It's not meant to build a team.
Like others here, I'm a strong proponent of the system that most schools have been using for years - get the vast majority of your players from the high school ranks to build a foundation and then fill depth chart needs with the occasional JC transfer or now portal transfer.

As it stands right now, there is actually some benefit to schools like Colorado that rely heavily on the portal. If you recruit a player out of high school, he is free to transfer to another school without sitting out for a year. You might invest a significant amount of time and money recruiting a high school prospect and get him on campus only to have him leave after a year or two. But if you bring in a portal guy, he's less likely to leave because he can't transfer out of your program to another team unless he sits out a year.

But that could change soon because several states' attorneys general are suing the NCAA, claiming that policy is illegal. If they succeed in changing the rule then it's pretty much the wild west as far as transfers go.

GB1pET9XsAAPMmr

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Agreed. Football is way different than basketball. I think of Kentucky stacking their teams with all 5 star 1 and done type guys. No chemistry, but so much talent that sometimes the chemistry doesn't matter. Football isn't like that. You've gotta have chemistry in order to succeed.

It'll be interesting to watch how Year 2 plays out for them. There's zero doubt in my mind the media will be hyping the shit out of them next year before a single game has been played though.

I bet Colorado wins 8 or 9 next year. Their competition is a lot weaker.

ND State - Win
@ Nebraska - Toss-up
@ Colorado State - Toss-up
@ Arizona - Toss-up
Utah - Loss
Baylor - Win
Oklahoma State - Loss
Kansas State - Toss-up
Cincinnati - Win
@ Texas Tech - Toss-up
@ Kansas - Win
@UCF - Win

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
That doesn't mean they'll be able to coach.
They’ll have a better chance than Kelly. Great recruiter. Great relationship guy. Terrible football coach.

Kelly at Auburn will be dangerous in recruiting. He’s gonna need a co-DC, though.

They’ll have a better chance than Kelly. Great recruiter. Great relationship guy. Terrible football coach.

Kelly at Auburn will be dangerous in recruiting. He’s gonna need a co-DC, though.

He’s not going to be a coordinator at Auburn. He’s going to be a position coach.

How will the Buffs replace Kelly’s steady, calming, confidence-building presence on the sidelines?

Reactions: mnole03
I think he invented their schtick. His job would be to walk through stretch lines and slap hands and do pressers and let his coaches coach.
College coaches rarely work in the pros. And coaches that have circus like pressers like he does - even less. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It seems to me his biggest strength is in recruiting, something that doesn't exist in the NFL.
I think he's good in recruiting kids to a place that hasn't been good at recruiting, comparatively. I think once you get him to a top 10 team, you'll find that holding on to and coaching a solid core is what's gonna get you where you expected to be at those places. Most importantly, in college you MUST have great assistant coaches. And in the college game, assistants look at the HC as someone who is going to rise or drop your stock. This is what's gonna tell the tale for Prime. How much assistant coaching talent he can hold on to? He demoted both of his coordinators by the end of the season last year.

He's very Trumpian, in that he's not very loyal to anyone that doesn't offer him immediate gratification. that goes for coaches and players. NFL contracts don't allow him to be that fickle. But who knows. It's an interesting experiment, for sure.

Shedeur and Shilo were excused from the team’s first meeting because they were in Paris for a fashion show

What B.S.

Can any other players miss a team meeting for an NIL reasons, a commercial shoot, or for a trip to an exotic location that they post on social media so they raise their profile? I think we know the answer to that question.

This was always my big problem Deion. From day one, Shedeur's had special teeatment. At his intro press conference he pointed to Shedeur and said "that's your quarterback", without so much as seeing anyone else perform in camp. Other coaches in the past who had their sons on the team always went out of their way to let the other players know that there would be no special treatment, but not Deion.

The team will rot from the inside out. Better pack your "Louis" Deion, this whole experiment is going to fizzle out even faster than I thought it would.

Has there ever been a successful coach this brash? Lane Kiffin flamed out spectacularly at UT and USC before settling into an above average position at Ole Miss.

What B.S.

Can any other players miss a team meeting for an NIL reasons, a commercial shoot, or for a trip to an exotic location that they post on social media so they raise their profile? I think we know the answer to that question.

This was always my big problem Deion. From day one, Shedeur's had special teeatment. At his intro press conference he pointed to Shedeur and said "that's your quarterback", without so much as seeing anyone else perform in camp. Other coaches in the past who had their sons on the team always went out of their way to let the other players know that there would be no special treatment, but not Deion.

The team will rot from the inside out. Better pack your "Louis" Deion, this whole experiment is going to fizzle out even faster than I thought it would.
I’ve been a Deion supporter but don’t like this at all.

What B.S.

Well, the kid came in with a first rate record from Jacksonville St and did nothing last season to tarnish it other than sometimes holding the ball too long and taking unnecessary sacks. Completed nearly 70% of his passes for 3,000+ yards with 27 TDs versus 3 int's.

He's certainly getting special privilege but that pretty much describes most coach's kids. Does anyone think Izzo's kid would be playing on that team absent his last name?

Well, the kid came in with a first rate record from Jacksonville St and did nothing last season to tarnish it other than sometimes holding the ball too long and taking unnecessary sacks. Completed nearly 70% of his passes for 3,000+ yards with 27 TDs versus 3 int's.
He’s a talented player, no doubt.

What B.S.

I'd be willing to bet that he'd let Hunter do the same.

It’s not too early to start betting against Colorado.

FanDuel has them -7.5 against NDSU. You bet your ass I put some money on the Bison.
I’d take CU -7. Hate the possible back door cover on a 7.5 line.

CU still being talked about and Deion still coach, I’ll take those as positives for the Buffs for now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT