ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Gamefilm; A Play

Also…Watch Richman on this play.

Tell me this position coach, or anyone coaching our OL, are doing their jobs. It’s ultimately up to the players to do their job. But does the player KNOW his assignment here?
Richman shoulder checked 3 different players on that play with zero effect.

Our fat OL sucks.

I say we buy out Linderbaum's rookie year salary and force SE Polk to let us early enroll Proctor. At this point, you might as well get creative......

Also…Watch Richman on this play.

Tell me this position coach, or anyone coaching our OL, are doing their jobs. It’s ultimately up to the players to do their job. But does the player KNOW his assignment here?
It is emblematic of the scope of the breakdown of the entire offense.

No respect for passing game so ISU feels no danger about sending both corners immediately to play the run - check
Multiple offensive players whiffing on blocks or looking unsure of who they are supposed to block - check

It also points that the issue is more than the QB (but I would argue he is a big part of the problem). Everything ripples into everything else. The actual play itself should have worked, even with the lack of passing game. Iowa brings the FB and TE across the formation as pullers for the counter. It is the type of blocking that fans have been clamoring for. If the TE and LT just block somebody, Williams probably gets at least 5 yards and maybe more. Even with the CB's coming from both sides.

I just don't know how the offense gets much better with no threat in the passing game to make a defense back off, combined with what appears to be a OL that doesn't know what exactly they are supposed to do on a play by play basis.

Richman shoulder checked 3 different players on that play with zero effect.

Our fat OL sucks.

I say we buy out Linderbaum's rookie year salary and force SE Polk to let us early enroll Proctor. At this point, you might as well get creative......
He kinda runs towards guys with his arms flailing around, similar to what I do with my 6-year-old twins to get them laughing.

It's not just Richmond who does a few whiffs and doesn't hit anyone...Lachey misses completely, so Pottebaum has to take his guy and seal...and that left the corner unblocked. Potty's man was the corner kick out. This was a well designed play that people just completely whiffed on their guys. 2 guys whiffed at the point of attack.

If guys just get a piece of their intended blocks...that's a serious gain.

I'm going to say it...but Kaleb Johnson needs to get 15 reps on Saturday...with the ones. He's got a speed gear that Williams and Williams don't have. He needs to be allowed to get comfortable and the only way to do that is to get reps.

Last edited:
It's not just Richmond who does a few whiffs and doesn't hit anyone...Lachey misses completely, so Pottebaum has to take his guy and seal...and that left the corner unblocked. Potty's man was the corner kick out. This was a well designed play that people just completely whiffed on their guys. 2 guys whiffed at the point of attack.
Richman - 3rd year
Lachey - 3rd year
Monte - 5th year

Ya just can’t have these mistakes from veterans.

Original tweet is spot on. The offense HAS to take shots downfield. The ball can come out early (throw a fly or fade) so pass pro is less of a concern, it'll hypothetically open up the tight throwing windows underneath, and assist the running game.
Yes and Yes. Just you wait, we'll win something like 24-10 on Saturday and staff will assume all is good to go. I don't care if we win 55-0 unless some of the main symptoms demonstrate progress and Padilla plays at least some of the game. What does a guy have to do to get in? No doubt he's probably pressing in practice and all of of this has to be messing with his head.

The OL is supposed to flow to the right to make it look like a zone run to the right.

What I see on that play is that there were two guys with the counter pull to block three guys. The field CB had help over the top from the safety, so he was able to read run aggressively and didn't need to respect play action. If it was a pass, the roll is going to the right, so difficult for a throwback to the field side anyway. He would likely have been sacked by the blitzing boundary CB.

Probably pretty much a telegraphed play. I would like to see us run that to the short side which would allow more room for the receivers/TEs to run constraint/dump routes on the right side off of play action.

It is emblematic of the scope of the breakdown of the entire offense.

No respect for passing game so ISU feels no danger about sending both corners immediately to play the run - check
Multiple offensive players whiffing on blocks or looking unsure of who they are supposed to block - check

It also points that the issue is more than the QB (but I would argue he is a big part of the problem). Everything ripples into everything else. The actual play itself should have worked, even with the lack of passing game. Iowa brings the FB and TE across the formation as pullers for the counter. It is the type of blocking that fans have been clamoring for. If the TE and LT just block somebody, Williams probably gets at least 5 yards and maybe more. Even with the CB's coming from both sides.

I just don't know how the offense gets much better with no threat in the passing game to make a defense back off, combined with what appears to be a OL that doesn't know what exactly they are supposed to do on a play by play basis.
Iowa's oline has struggled blocking teams that play 3 man fronts for years now.

Original tweet is spot on. The offense HAS to take shots downfield. The ball can come out early (throw a fly or fade) so pass pro is less of a concern, it'll hypothetically open up the tight throwing windows underneath, and assist the running game.
I'm all for finding everything we can from this game to make it less about what Iowa State did to win the game (which they deserved to win), and more about what Iowa failed to do, in order to lose (which we absolutely deserved to lose when you fail so miserably without any outside help)............. ;)

Side bar, but nobody wants to talk about the fact that the miraculous Heisman worthy 99 yd drive was prolonged because DeJean got overzealous and aggressively shoved the ISU player OOB, and the ref got caught up in all the dancing merry band of idiots on ISU's sideline and decided to throw a flag, he couldn't pick back up, on a play, by the letter of the law, was not a foul based on where the contact occurred.

But refs don't ever affect the game, at all............can't blame them for their mistakes like we can blame the coaches and the players who were flagged incorrectly for that play, or the fans who either were too quiet or should be scolded for booing or for swearing or for throwing beer cans. We can blame ALL of them...................can't blame the refs.

F*** outta here.

Signed, someone who has officiated.

I'm all for finding everything we can from this game to make it less about what Iowa State did to win the game (which they deserved to win), and more about what Iowa failed to do, in order to lose (which we absolutely deserved to lose when you fail so miserably without any outside help)............. ;)

Side bar, but nobody wants to talk about the fact that the miraculous Heisman worthy 99 yd drive was prolonged because DeJean got overzealous and aggressively shoved the ISU player OOB, and the ref got caught up in all the dancing merry band of idiots on ISU's sideline and decided to throw a flag, he couldn't pick back up, on a play, by the letter of the law, was not a foul based on where the contact occurred.

But refs don't ever affect the game, at all............can't blame them for their mistakes like we can blame the coaches and the players who were flagged incorrectly for that play, or the fans who either were too quiet or should be scolded for booing or for swearing or for throwing beer cans. We can blame ALL of them...................can't blame the refs.

F*** outta here.

Was that a 3rd down play and drive was stopped or what down was the late hit on? Any other player beside the QB and that's a non call IMO.

Here's what I THINK was supposed to happen on this play, but hoo boy...

...........F..........................................J...............$
.C.............................................W.......M...........S
...............................................E.......N...E...................C
.X.............................................T..G..C..G..T................Z
.........................................................Q..........F..Y
.........................................................T

It looks like we're trying to run some counter action without actually pulling anyone. We end up pulling 2 guys, but they are the F and Y (Lachey/Pottebaum) above. In this scenario, F will likely be the kicker and Y will wrap in the hole for first color. Interestingly, the steps for the OL almost look like zone steps...this is a similar play we run where we block it like zone right but the RB takes a counter step but then comes back left (most notably made famous by Shonn Greene in 2008 against Purdue for a 75 yard TD), except on those plays we really don't pull anyone.

What should have happened (I think):
LT - Completely uncovered, no one to block 'on' or down block, so he has the Mike
LG - Work in tandem with C to block nose back to 2nd level
C - Work in tandem with LG to block nose back to 2nd level
RG - Work in tandem with RT to block DE back to 2nd level
RT - Work in tandem (or at least "post" with left hand) with RG to block DE back to 2nd level/Sam LB
F - Pull and kick DE
Y - Wrap and block Will
Z - Block man on/most dangerous threat (which doesn't happen either)

Weakside DE, as he's supposed to do, crashes down when the LT blocks inside. In this case, what Pottebaum SHOULD (again, I think) have done was picked him up and buried him inside...always better to take a guy where you want him to go vs. taking him to where he wants to go. If he wants to close down, keep him in there and we'll run around him. Now, if he had stayed outside, the kick would have been the play. Unfortunately Pottebaum runs right by him entirely and Lachey is forced to block him...leaving no one to truly kick out for Pottebaum. He realizes this too late and actually doubles back to pick up a block on the guy Lachey was supposed to be blocking. At this point, the play could still have been successful if our X on the play (Bruce, I believe) had blocked most dangerous man. But he didn't...he looked like he might have been in some sort of run-off mode and the corner was allowed to come unabated.

Richman did look like he was flailing on this play, but he at least got in the way of the Mike and after Lachey effectively got in the way against the DE, Lachey ended up blocking the Mike as well (after Richman went flying ball). If the CB doesn't come flying up because Bruce blocked him, the DE had recovered enough that he would be pursuing backside, but Williams would have been able to run away from him until he got resistance from whoever Bruce wasn't blocking (in this case, the free safety).

This is actually a really good play against these numbers, but executed very poorly. Again, I THINK the play was supposed to be a counter play hitting inside the DE that should have been allowed to hit outside based on the post-snap defensive reaction, but we had multiple failings on the play that led to it gaining 3 yards instead of being an 8-10 yard play.

F*** outta here.

Didn't they also miss a false start on that drive?

Also, WTH is the formation we are in?

I is an I formation with the qb under center. Not a power I formation with a fullback behind the qb. The pulling blocker action and the false step to the right by the running back are to set up a counter direction run.

It is somewhat like what they called the old Redskins, I will use that moniker here, counter trey run, where John Riggings looks like he is running one way, but the oline seals why a couple of of Olinemen pull the other way. Theisman or the qb hands off to Riggins who is now going the other direction.

I like this play if you can block it well. Ken O'Keefe would call this a few times a game and of course you can play action off of it.

As someone said, if the wide receiver at the bottom of the screen where the run is going just gets a little piece of the cornerback and blocks him one way or the other then that play gets good yardage. If Richman and the Oline seal the defense to the upper part of the screen direction and Lachey and Pottebaum, who are the pulling blockers, get a kick out or seal block then the running back just needs to beat one guy.

Looks great on the old chalkboard but was not blocked very well.

Plus the fact that ISU I think is still using a 3-3-5 defense which Iowa has never blocked very well, see Wisky

As soon as Bruce goes to block the CB, the safety will provide the same run support with the same result.

It's pretty much a dead play (2 blockers for 3 defenders) unless the RB can make the third guy miss.

I love it. Anything we can do with formations and/or motion to create a numbers mismatch or get the defense flowing one way to go the other is good in my book.
I hate that formation and this just shows how incompetent BF is. The reason I hate it because it is so tough for a tight end blocker to explode out of a 2 point stance unless they are pulling and moving laterally first. Teams know that and they would suspect counter or cross movement. Additionally, there are limited route running trees you can run from that formation.

They ran that play 7 times in the first half which resulted in 6 runs of 0, 2, 2,4, 0 and 2 yards. Every single run except for 1 was a counter.

The one pass was a counter pass where Petras was sacked and fumbled. Who would think it's a good formation when the line blocks down and the FB and TE have one second to pick up the backside DE and outside linebacker? It technically wasn't the FB fault on the fumble but it just shows how clueless BF is in his play-calling abilities.

I will also say that the OL coach has to go too. There is way too much lateral movement in their zone running. The line needs to move vertically in their double teams to the linebackers and they look clueless in their assignments.

Lastly, Petras has looked putrid but there is no one open in over half of the plays. Petras was actually lucky a ball was tipped at the line otherwise it was a pick six. I believe it's a combination of the route running trees and our little talent on the outside.

There are a lot of problems between the playcalling, OL play, QB inaccuracy and it's hard to figure out where to start to get the O at least somewhat back on track.

There are a lot of problems between the playcalling, OL play, QB inaccuracy and it's hard to figure out where to start to get the O at least somewhat back on track.

It is, but it isn't. We need a new offensive philosophy. The hard part is achieving that (new HC/OC).

Again, if KF's primary goal is to get kids in the NFL (which I think it is), then why haven't we adopted the new offensive philosophies and players that the NFL has? Essentially, most of the NFL has gone to WR dominant play-calling. Mix in a serviceable running game and keep the middle of the field honest with the TE and voila...offense.

This play ...
drag race no GIF by Robert E Blackmon

As soon as Bruce goes to block the CB, the safety will provide the same run support with the same result.

It's pretty much a dead play (2 blockers for 3 defenders) unless the RB can make the third guy miss.
That's kind of the game though. At some point, you're just gonna have to win a 1 on 1 against the defense.

Remember, aside from the rare end arounds/reverses (think Tracy, or was it ISM, in the Holiday Bowl with Stanley out in front to throw a block), it's really 11 on 10 in favor of the defense with the QB taking himself out of the equation as a blocker (or in Iowa's case, a runner as well because the staff is too chicken sh** to put their statuesque QB in harms way.......or various other criticisms about the lack of a running threat Iowa presents at QB).

And if you wanna get more technical, think of when teams blitz. If Iowa has 5 blockers, and a team rushed 6....there's gonna be an unblocked rusher unless someone can chip and cover in time.

But the defense can still technically go 1 for 1 if there are 5 other receiving options for the offense (*under breath* and no running threat from QB.......), and those numbers only further skew towards the defense when you add extra blockers for protection.........so again, you're back to needing to win a 1 on 1 battle.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
It was a designed counter run, so I am curious as to why they didn’t try to block??
Definitely True. That said, that play is the exact reason that so many teams are going to Pass/Run option offenses. Quarterback reads the ends and corners and then makes the decision on what's best. Receivers make the decision on a hot route or block.

It is, but it isn't. We need a new offensive philosophy. The hard part is achieving that (new HC/OC).

Again, if KF's primary goal is to get kids in the NFL (which I think it is), then why haven't we adopted the new offensive philosophies and players that the NFL has? Essentially, most of the NFL has gone to WR dominant play-calling. Mix in a serviceable running game and keep the middle of the field honest with the TE and voila...offense.
11 personally groupings (and even 10 personnel) have become the dominant sets in the NFL now.

Iowa is more typically a 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TEs, 2 WRs) or 21 personnel (2 RBs/RB and FB, 1 TE, 2 WRs etc) team, occasionally going with 11 (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs).

From greater depth and with more ground to cover (and from an assignment where he was a deep zone player, so he wouldn't have been able to come downhill quite as quickly). Ultimately, and I think another poster said it too, if you can consistently get hat on a hat and get the ball-carrier into 1 on 1 situations, you have to like your odds. Also one of main reasons the 'touchdown' blocks aren't made at the LOS, but by a backside WR busting his ass frontside to block a safety who, if all other blocks were executed, creates a favorable numbers advantage for the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT