ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Gamefilm; A Play

It's not just Richmond who does a few whiffs and doesn't hit anyone...Lachey misses completely, so Pottebaum has to take his guy and seal...and that left the corner unblocked. Potty's man was the corner kick out. This was a well designed play that people just completely whiffed on their guys. 2 guys whiffed at the point of attack.

If guys just get a piece of their intended blocks...that's a serious gain.

I'm going to say it...but Kaleb Johnson needs to get 15 reps on Saturday...with the ones. He's got a speed gear that Williams and Williams don't have. He needs to be allowed to get comfortable and the only way to do that is to get reps.
You are on the money WinOne, explained it better than I did. The play was well designed, both in formation and situation in the game. Even with the CB pressure, as you pointed out it would be a positive play if multiple players just don't whiff on blocking people. What the hell is going on in practice? In camp the offense had to go against a good defense. But they get in games and then as a whole the TE/OL act as if they've never blocked anyone before. They don't even need to knock guys over, just get in front of someone and make some contact. And it's not the same guy every play. The TE's overall have been bad blocking this year. The OL, it will be 3 guys doing a good job and 2 guys who don't. Then next play 4 guys do a good job, and 1 guy (this time a different guy) whiffs. I'm not a football coach, but to me that indicates that people are unsure on what they are supposed to be doing in a given play. That is a serious problem.

This is where I’m at now currently, and yes, for the record I’m of the opinion a change in OC is unfortunately needed. Where Bruno and others are misunderstanding me, is that imo, between Brian’s presser last week and w/kirks this week; there’s very clearly a disconnect amongst the coaching staff over Petras in particular, which leads me to believe Kirk exercises greater control over the offense than i at least realized.
Which is the huge problem. Kirk is here to stay for the foreseeable future but he needs to let go of his archaic scheme. He also needs to know when change is needed (2 years ago) and to change with the times.

Do you learn about illegal downfield blockers on a pass play in Football 102?
Not if you are throwing a slant super genius. Have you ever watched Ohio State play football? There is a reason they are good every freaking year and it's not just because of the players. Their scheme has layers and changes to whatever the defense does.

The CB could easily see the handoff and you can easily see the safety coming over the top. I think that was designed
Yep, CB playing the flats, safety with intermediate/deep responsibility. Bruce DOES run him off, so that’s nice?

While playcalling could be better, it isn't a primary issue right now. This thread and others rightfully point out where the QB, the WRs, the RB, and the OL are failing to execute basic plays that are there for the taking. In fact, the red zone calls were good. It wasn't even Petrus who screwed up after the second blocked punt. If Bruce hadn't tripped over a blade of grass he would have scored on the 3rd down play (still got a first down). The two running plays that followed were reasonable calls.

Pile on BF and the other offensive coaches for not having better players on the roster, not having the guys better prepared despite the personnel challenges, and not changing the QB, but the playcalling is not (yet) to blame for the dismal production.
Correct. And there have been two fumbles inside the 5 that would have been TD drives but instead were TO's (with no points scored). That doesn't make Iowa an Offensive juggernaut by any means but it doesn't help and the reality is Iowa would have beat Iowa St once up 14-3 with Pottebaum TD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT