ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

Great idea to scrimmage against a very talented team, especially when the noncon schedule is rough. UConn (or Duke) and NC State are immense challenges, but Iowa will have its hands full with K-State and Oregon State even before them. This team can be caught by lesser teams and they have to be more ready for that this year.

Also... from media day, Bluder wouldn't commit to naming the backup 5 between Addy and Goodman but it sounds like they're still taking it slow with Goodman and leads me to believe Addy has the current edge.

Bluder went out of her way to speak very highly of Hannah Stuelke and mentioned she and Addy have been getting minutes at the 4 and 5. Bluder was raving about Stuelke's rebounding and shooting so I think she could be a primary backup for McKenna.

Last edited:
Great idea to scrimmage against a very talented team, especially when the noncon schedule is rough. UConn (or Duke) and NC State are immense challenges, but Iowa will have its hands full with K-State and Oregon State even before them. This team can be caught by lesser teams and they have to be more ready for that this year.

Also... from media day, Bluder wouldn't commit to naming the backup 5 between Addy and Goodman but it sounds like they're still taking it slow with Goodman and leads me to believe Addy has the current edge.

Bluder went out of her way to speak very highly of Hannah Stuelke and mentioned she and Addy have been getting minutes at the 4 and 5. Bluder was raving about Stuelke's rebounding and shooting so I think she could be a primary backup for McKenna.
Here were my rotation assumptions coming into the season:

1) Clark then Davis
2) Marshall then Davis. Maybe McCabe breaks in some.
3) Martin then Affolter. There are other options here too.
4) Warnock then Stuelke.
5) Czinano then O'Grady. I think Goodman will take time to get up to speed with the injury.

Nothing I've seen from today makes me question this much. I think Coach Bluder mentioned Davis, Affolter, and Stuelke as under-the-radar players. I think that's a pretty good signal who the main backups will be.

Here were my rotation assumptions coming into the season:

1) Clark then Davis
2) Marshall then Davis. Maybe McCabe breaks in some.
3) Martin then Affolter. There are other options here too.
4) Warnock then Stuelke.
5) Czinano then O'Grady. I think Goodman will take time to get up to speed with the injury.

Nothing I've seen from today makes me question this much. I think Coach Bluder mentioned Davis, Affolter, and Stuelke as under-the-radar players. I think that's a pretty good signal who the main backups will be.
I think you are correct. The interesting thing will be how the minutes are split. Coach Bluder raved about Stuelke's rebounding help. She can't do that from the bench. We may see her splitting time with Warnock by the Big Ten season. Same with Davis. She may split time with Marshall eventually if she is that good.

Related to that, Lisa said she has already had conversations with seniors about a Covid year. My guess is that Warnock and Marshall will finish up this year rather than seeing more reduced minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyberhawk
I think you are correct. The interesting thing will be how the minutes are split. Coach Bluder raved about Stuelke's rebounding help. She can't do that from the bench. We may see her splitting time with Warnock by the Big Ten season. Same with Davis. She may split time with Marshall eventually if she is that good.

Related to that, Lisa said she has already had conversations with seniors about a Covid year. My guess is that Warnock and Marshall will finish up this year rather than seeing more reduced minutes.
We really underrate Warnock. I don't think she was playing at 100% at the end of last year with her injuries, but when she is at 100% she's the third best player on the team by a fair distance.

I don't think Stuelke will be splitting time with Warnock by the end of the season. I could see a scenario where one of them spends some time at the 3, though.

Reactions: hawkahawk
We really underrate Warnock. I don't think she was playing at 100% at the end of last year with her injuries, but when she is at 100% she's the third best player on the team by a fair distance.

I don't think Stuelke will be splitting time with Warnock by the end of the season. I could see a scenario where one of them spends some time at the 3, though.

Warnock is a great shooter, but offensively she's a 3. She can at times score in the paint but struggled particularly last year. Defensively she's more of a 4 and lacks the lateral quickness to really guard the wing. The wild card is that she has nights where she's on fire and can't miss.

I don't think it will be an even split as Bluder still favors her veterans but I could see a maybe a 28/12 split and I think we'll see Stuelke at the 3 for a few minutes each game as well. I'd be shocked if her average for the season is less than 15 minutes per game.

I don't think Warnock is underrated. I think Stuelke will be a better all-around player but playing Warnock for her leadership and knowledge and ability to get hot is the smart play.

Blunder did note that they would play Stuelke at both the 4 and 5 and not the 3.

Blunder did note that they would play Stuelke at both the 4 and 5 and not the 3.
She said Stuelke can play the 3 but maybe not this year as the offensive play looks are different. But we'll see if that holds for the whole season. It's going to be hard to keep Hannah off the floor.

She did also say they are experimenting with getting bigs on the floor together and different combinations which is refreshing.

Reactions: crstuff
My favorite tidbit today was that Bluder said she envisions Jada (eventually) playing the 4 and 3. I think most of us assumed she’d be at the 5/4.
I think it would be a mistake to not invite Warnock back (tho this is assuming Stuelke can play the 3 and O’Grady is happy to focus on the 5). Replacing four starters will be a tall task. It’d be great to bring back our next most reliable scoring option. But who knows, Stuelke (and/or for that matter, O’Grady’s) upside at the 4 may be too much to resist.

Last edited:
My favorite tidbit today was that Bluder said she envisions Jada (eventually) playing the 4 and 3. I think most of us assumed she’d be at the 5/4.

I think it would be a mistake to not invite Warnock back (tho this is assuming Stuelke can play the 3 and O’Grady is happy to focus on the 5). Replacing four starters will be a tall task. It’d be great to bring back our next most reliable scoring option. But who knows, Stuelke (and/or for that matter, O’Grady’s) upside at the 4 may be too much to resist.
McKenna has been one of my favorite players during her time w/ Iowa. If she has an opportunity to come back for another year, I wouldn’t complain. Once she’s on a roll, she’s fire. Good shooter and and rebounder. I have positive feelings for Jada; maybe not this year, but next year and in the future. Not sure why she would be at the 5. Excited to see how Hannah does, as well as Taylor.

Just got my tix for the game against Maryland on 2/21/23 (I live in MD). Late game for a Tuesday night; however, for the opportunity to see Caitlin in the flesh (as well as the rest of the team) is worth any time inconvenience. We may not be home until midnight, which is late for early morning workers. Will just need to suck it up!

Maryland also plays #1 South Carolina at College Park, as well as UConn. Unfortunately, can‘t make the SC game, but I can do the UConn game if I feel inclined (and I am at the moment). May need to look into seeing Iowa @PSU on Sunday, 2/25/23. It’s a noon time game, which means an early morning drive (abt 3 1/2 hrs.). Would love to see another conference game!

I also have to brag that my all-time favorite Iowa player is now following me on Twitter. Very exciting, and #GoHawks

Reactions: undersized_post

I couldn't disagree more. If Warnock comes back you're basically handicapping the development of the other forwards on the roster for a player that while offensively is a star, is a defensive liability.

Stuelke has a much higher ceiling and there's already plenty of depth at the 4 position (Ediger, Gyamfi, possibly Wettering) behind Stuelke.

Of all the players eligible for the COVID year, Martin will be the hardest to replace though Lisa has said Syd is doing good things. Martin has also been at Iowa 5 years already and I think she'll choose to move on.

Rumor was Gabbie was on the fence about it. With Molly Davis and Taylor McCabe, SG is not much of a need next year.

Iowa will be replacing four starters, but it will be doing so with players that have already played quality minutes. Davis and Stuelke should both get plenty of minutes this year and O'Grady//Goodman will both have two years in the system.

We don't need to bring back starters just to bring back starters. That's how you wind up with players in the transfer portal.

Let's overreact to heights. Disappointed for Feuerbach that's she out but if others step up it won't be a major loss this year.

Just got my tix for the game against Maryland on 2/21/23 (I live in MD). Late game for a Tuesday night; however, for the opportunity to see Caitlin in the flesh (as well as the rest of the team) is worth any time inconvenience. We may not be home until midnight, which is late for early morning workers. Will just need to suck it up!

Maryland also plays #1 South Carolina at College Park, as well as UConn. Unfortunately, can‘t make the SC game, but I can do the UConn game if I feel inclined (and I am at the moment). May need to look into seeing Iowa @PSU on Sunday, 2/25/23. It’s a noon time game, which means an early morning drive (abt 3 1/2 hrs.). Would love to see another conference game!

I also have to brag that my all-time favorite Iowa player is now following me on Twitter. Very exciting, and #GoHawks
I got tix to this game too! I live in New England but will be taking the train down to DC for this!! This is probably the only year when I'll actually be excited for a game AT maryland lol.

Reactions: hawkahawk
I couldn't disagree more. If Warnock comes back you're basically handicapping the development of the other forwards on the roster for a player that while offensively is a star, is a defensive liability.

Stuelke has a much higher ceiling and there's already plenty of depth at the 4 position (Ediger, Gyamfi, possibly Wettering) behind Stuelke.
I said that this only makes sense if Hannah is at the 3 and O'Grady is at the 5. Bluder said she envisions Jada at the 3/4 as well. I suppose a lineup of Jada (3), Stuelke (4), O'Grady (5) does sound very promising. Clark, Davis, Feuerbach, Stuelke, O'Grady is also a really tough lineup and in that case, yeah, it's tough to wonder if Warnock would be the better 4. FWIW I don't think Bluder would sacrifice the development of any player to bring back anyone who's not a member of the lawfirm.

I haven't seen much of these two players at all but I'm curious if you think that Edigar (Ive seen very little) and Wettering (I've seen literally nothing) are really likely to have higher ceilings than McKenna? Not saying I don't believe you -- for the sake of our program's future, I really hope you're right! But McKenna has become such a reliable part of our offense. I think it's easy to forget that just b/c she's not Clark/Czinano, she's still a very good player that most programs in our shoes would love to have on the floor. It's just quite surprising is all.

I said that this only makes sense if Hannah is at the 3 and O'Grady is at the 5. Bluder said she envisions Jada at the 3/4 as well. I suppose a lineup of Jada (3), Stuelke (4), O'Grady (5) does sound very promising. Clark, Davis, Feuerbach, Stuelke, O'Grady is also a really tough lineup and in that case, yeah, it's tough to wonder if Warnock would be the better 4. FWIW I don't think Bluder would sacrifice the development of any player to bring back anyone who's not a member of the lawfirm.

I haven't seen much of these two players at all but I'm curious if you think that Edigar (Ive seen very little) and Wettering (I've seen literally nothing) are really likely to have higher ceilings than McKenna? Not saying I don't believe you -- for the sake of our program's future, I really hope you're right! But McKenna has become such a reliable part of our offense. I think it's easy to forget that just b/c she's not Clark/Czinano, she's still a very good player that most programs in our shoes would love to have on the floor. It's just quite surprising is all.
Wetering's game is more comparable to Warnock's in general, we just haven't had the chance to see it. However their is a big skill level difference between the two and that likely isn't going to change. Ediger was recruited as a 4, but once at Iowa the coaches primarily prepared her for the 5 last season. She has the best perimeter shot of all the posts so she could play the 4 like she did at times last season once games were already won. Ediger is better at being around the basket using her size where Warnock is better working around the perimeter allowing better spacing for the posts.

Having all this depth, especially in the frontcourt, is a nice change compared to what the situation has been like the last 15 or so years.

I am cautiously optimistic about Hannah Stuelke. I think she's going to be a star. She has just started to tap her potential in HS, and the challenge/step up in competition at Iowa will be the pish she needs to be very good.
Link to Bio…

Quote from Bio…
“Played five years on All Iowa Attack under Dickson Jensen, earning the 2019 Boo Williams Invitational Tournament MVP honor and 2019 Nike Nationals All-Tournament team honors and winning the 2021 Nike Nationals Championship”

I believe she is under rated in her class nationally. She could reasonably be ranked in at least the top 10 in my opinion. Her athleticism and advanced skills will match well with what this Hawkeye team needs most. I can easily see her achieve B1G, and even national postseason honors.

Link to Bio…

Quote from Bio…
“Played five years on All Iowa Attack under Dickson Jensen, earning the 2019 Boo Williams Invitational Tournament MVP honor and 2019 Nike Nationals All-Tournament team honors and winning the 2021 Nike Nationals Championship”

I believe she is under rated in her class nationally. She could reasonably be ranked in at least the top 10 in my opinion. Her athleticism and advanced skills will match well with what this Hawkeye team needs most. I can easily see her achieve B1G, and even national postseason honors.
I'm starting to be less cautious about Stuelke, mostly because Blunder in the summer talked about her being a great athlete who was going to be scary good, but might need a year. Now she sounds like she expects to see her on the court. I'm starting to suspect that both OGrady and Stuelke put pressure on McKenna's minutes because of rebounding and post scoring.

Reactions: natchrlman
I'm starting to be less cautious about Stuelke, mostly because Blunder in the summer talked about her being a great athlete who was going to be scary good, but might need a year. Now she sounds like she expects to see her on the court. I'm starting to suspect that both OGrady and Stuelke put pressure on McKenna's minutes because of rebounding and post scoring.
if that were the case….. that’s a net positive no doubt

Could be. But I take any coach's comments with a grain of salt nowadays. It's so easy for players to transfer, coaches need to heap praise/promise playing time on any/all players for fear they'll take off!

Could be. But I take any coach's comments with a grain of salt nowadays. It's so easy for players to transfer, coaches need to heap praise/promise playing time on any/all players for fear they'll take off!
that’s a pretty dumb take and I mean that in the nicest possible way!
- Charlie Brown

Reactions: crstuff and BBHawk
Thats true, but comments also by Clark and some other players make it sound less like ego and more like just the way it is. Also one the the few clips of interview with Hannah I could find she said her choice was easy because she always wanted to be here... I suspect the coaches were up front about their expectations that she would be eased in.

This season is going to be very different and fun to watch. The veterans are going to have to put their egos aside and share playing time for the good of the team. More rest for them and more situational matchups. I assume they are okay with that. And I already sense a new vibe from Lisa. She is pushing the players more and celebrating the pressure. I like it. This is the last rodeo indeed for this bunch. And an unprecedented combination of veterans and youthful potential. What will they make of it?

I think Hannah starts at the 4 next year. Kylie is likely next in line for the 3 if Martin leaves. And then Hannah could slide over and play the 3 if needed. If Kylie can't go it'll likely be Syd at the 3. Wetterman also was recruited at the three but she's basically had back to back medical redshirts so not sure where her game is going to be out.

I think Stuelke has a much higher ceiling. The other players I mentioned as needing to be developed to provide depth off the bench. And they need the PT to develop which they won't get if Warnock comes back.

I do believe Ediger has a high ceiling. She was highly recruited out of HS. I think we only got a glimpse of what she could last year. She was kind of forced into playing the 5 due to rebounding and defensive struggles of the other bigs and Warnock being out. We know she can hold her out in the paint and is already a very good rebounder. She'll need to work on her range but the potential is there to at least be a solid option at the 4.

Wetterman was originally a 4 and then her recruitment switched to the 3 her senior year of HS as her perimeter shooting improved. She was shooting around 35-38 percent from outside her senior year. The big question mark with Wetterman is where is her game after missing two years due to medical issues.

Gyamfi also has a pretty high ceiling and could play the four or five. She was highly ranked coming out of HS. Haven't seen enough of her game to really get a feel but if she breaks out, she could potentially be an option to start at the 4 which would bump Hannah to the 3 and Kylie then would likely be a backup at the 2/3.

There's quite a few scenarios that could develop between now and next season but I don't think there's there an urgent need for any of the seniors to come back another year. I wouldn't be sad if Martin comes back because it will be hard to replace everything she brings to the table.

Gyamfi also has a pretty high ceiling and could play the four or five. She was highly ranked coming out of HS. Haven't seen enough of her game to really get a feel but if she breaks out, she could potentially be an option to start at the 4 which would bump Hannah to the 3 and Kylie then would likely be a backup at the 2/3.
Funnily enough Bluder said at Media Day that she hopes to see Jada at the 3 or 4.

No one taking about McCabe. Heard she found the range and dropping bombs in practice. If her shot is going in, she'll get minutes at the 2.
I expect to see her against weaker teams, but it sounds like they want more strength for drives and defence before big minutes will come her way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT