ADVERTISEMENT

*****Ohio St vs Iowa Game Thread*****

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
8pm ESPN2
Iowa -7.5

Ohio State Buckeyes (11-14, 3-11 Big Ten) at Iowa Hawkeyes (16-9, 8-6 Big Ten)

BOTTOM LINE: Iowa faces the Ohio State Buckeyes after Kris Murray scored 28 points in Iowa's 68-56 win against the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The Hawkeyes are 12-2 in home games. Iowa is the leader in the Big Ten with 12.0 fast break points.

The Buckeyes have gone 3-11 against Big Ten opponents. Ohio State is 5-5 when it wins the turnover battle and averages 10.7 turnovers per game.

Iowa has to get this, give me hawks 85-72

Hopefully OSU flew in last night? Refs probably didn't, they were probably working in Spokane. Snow could hamper the crowd. Maybe the U just opens the doors and lets anybody in and we could have a good crowd.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Hopefully OSU flew in last night? Refs probably didn't, they were probably working in Spokane. Snow could hamper the crowd. Maybe the U just opens the doors and lets anybody in and we could have a good crowd.
I would assume so, anyone know for sure?

SillyBackHornshark.webp

This team is really scrambling for a win. They have beat us already. We need to take them out early and not let up on the gas. Get into the lane, don't turn it over and rebound like hell
You'd think that this OSU team would've packed it in. Losers of 6 in a row, and 11 of their last 12 with the last being a 21 point drubbing at home to MSU. That is until you realize that the only time they've felt good about themselves in the past month was when they handled the Hawks by 16. Like the last one, this is another must win game against a bad team for the Hawks to maintain a decent seed. 🤞🤞🤞

Last edited:
Reactions: icwesthawk
Preview:

WHO: Ohio State Buckeyes (11-14, 3-11 Big Ten)
WHEN: 8:05 PM CT (Thursday, February 16, 2023)
WHERE: Carver-Hawkeye Arena (Iowa City, IA)
TV: ESPN2 (Kevin Brown and Robbie Hummel)
RADIO: Hawkeye Radio Network (Gary Dolphin and Bobby Hansen) | XM 382 or SXM 972
MOBILE: www.espn.com/watch
ONLINE: www.espn.com/app
FOLLOW: @IowaAwesome | @IowaHoops | @IowaonBTN
LINE: Iowa-7.5
KENPOM: Iowa -5 (68% chance of winning)

PROJECTED STARTING FIVE​

Iowa
G Tony Perkins (11.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.4 bpg, 40.5 FG%, 30.4 3FG%)
G Ahron Ulis (6.4 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 2.5 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.2 bpg, 39.7 FG%, 32.1 3FG%)
F Connor McCaffery (7.1 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.0 bpg, 40.8 FG%, 36.8 3FG%)
F Kris Murray (21.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.9 spg, 1.2 bpg, 50.3 FG%, 35.6 3FG%)
F Filip Rebraca (14.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.1 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.2 bpg, 56.8 FG%, 33.3 3FG%)

Ohio State
G Bruce Thornton (9.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.6 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.0 bpg, 43.8 FG%, 37.0 3FG%)
G Sean McNeil (9.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.1 bpg, 40.8 FG%, 36.6 3FG%)
F Justice Sueing (12.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.4 bpg, 44.4 FG%, 23.5 3FG%)
F Brice Sensabaugh (16.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.4 bpg, 47.9 FG%, 43.0 3FG%)
C Zed Key (11.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.0 bpg, 55.1% FG, 29.2 3FG%)

PREVIEW​

The first 14 games of the Big Ten schedule for Iowa this season featured 13 unique opponents; Rutgers was the only team Iowa played twice in that stretch of games (the Hawkeyes won both games over the Scarlet Knights). The final six games of Iowa's 2023 Big Ten schedule are nothing but rematch games; the Hawkeyes play four teams that beat them earlier this season (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Nebraska) as well as two teams that they beat earlier in the year (Northwestern and Indiana). Sweeping Northwestern and/or Indiana would be very nice, but an even bigger priority might be avenging those prior losses -- especially given where most of those teams sit in the Big Ten standings.

The first team on Iowa's potential Revenge Tour is Ohio State, who blasted the doors off Iowa in Columbus three weeks ago. Since then, Iowa has won four of six games, while Ohio State has lost six straight. In fact, that mid-January win over Iowa is Ohio State's only win since January 1; the Buckeyes have lost 11 of their last 12 games entering Thursday night. The bottom has well and truly fallen out on their season.
Ohio State beat Iowa in the first meeting this season because of some absolutely torrid shooting. The Buckeyes shot 56% from the field, scored 93 points (56 in the second half alone), and averaged 1.31 points per possession. They shot well from long range (8/16), but the Buckeyes did most of their damage closer to the basket. Ohio State was 28/48 (58%) on 2-point shots and outscored Iowa 50-32 in points in the paint.

It wasn't a case of Ohio State's bigs dominating down low, either -- big man Zed Key had 11 points and 9 rebounds, but shot just 4/10 from the floor. Most of the damage came from Ohio State's guards and wings, who sliced through Iowa's perimeter defense like it wasn't there. Freshman Brice Sensabaugh led Ohio State with 27 points, which included a 5/7 performance inside the 3-point arc (he was also 4/5 from deep, so Iowa wasn't really able to stop him anywhere on the court). Isaac Likekele had 18 points and Sean McNeil added 10 points; they combined to shoot 8/14 on 2-point attempts. The Ohio State game was a very long day, and a real low point for Iowa's guards.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/preview-iowa-mbb-vs-ohio-state

Crazy amount of snow so far. The forecasts I saw predicted we'd have about 1-1.5 inches of snow by around 8 am - my house had 7 inches, we've had another 2-3 since and are expected to get another 3-5. Last time I remember having this much snow was in 2011.

Hope the fans are able to make it out!

Reactions: jellyfish10
Crazy amount of snow so far. The forecasts I saw predicted we'd have about 1-1.5 inches of snow by around 8 am - my house had 7 inches, we've had another 2-3 since and are expected to get another 3-5. Last time I remember having this much snow was in 2011.

Looks like all students who want to go will get in free.

Wish they'd feed more than 100, though.

Reactions: Bishop1971

We are going to give it a shot. Leaving from the Cedar Valley here shortly. Should be an interesting drive.

Preview:

WHO: Ohio State Buckeyes (11-14, 3-11 Big Ten)
WHEN: 8:05 PM CT (Thursday, February 16, 2023)
WHERE: Carver-Hawkeye Arena (Iowa City, IA)
TV: ESPN2 (Kevin Brown and Robbie Hummel)
RADIO: Hawkeye Radio Network (Gary Dolphin and Bobby Hansen) | XM 382 or SXM 972
MOBILE: www.espn.com/watch
ONLINE: www.espn.com/app
FOLLOW: @IowaAwesome | @IowaHoops | @IowaonBTN
LINE: Iowa-7.5
KENPOM: Iowa -5 (68% chance of winning)

PROJECTED STARTING FIVE​

Iowa
G Tony Perkins (11.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.4 bpg, 40.5 FG%, 30.4 3FG%)
G Ahron Ulis (6.4 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 2.5 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.2 bpg, 39.7 FG%, 32.1 3FG%)
F Connor McCaffery (7.1 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.0 bpg, 40.8 FG%, 36.8 3FG%)
F Kris Murray (21.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.9 spg, 1.2 bpg, 50.3 FG%, 35.6 3FG%)
F Filip Rebraca (14.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.1 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.2 bpg, 56.8 FG%, 33.3 3FG%)

Ohio State
G Bruce Thornton (9.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.6 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.0 bpg, 43.8 FG%, 37.0 3FG%)
G Sean McNeil (9.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.1 bpg, 40.8 FG%, 36.6 3FG%)
F Justice Sueing (12.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.4 bpg, 44.4 FG%, 23.5 3FG%)
F Brice Sensabaugh (16.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.4 bpg, 47.9 FG%, 43.0 3FG%)
C Zed Key (11.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.0 bpg, 55.1% FG, 29.2 3FG%)

PREVIEW​

The first 14 games of the Big Ten schedule for Iowa this season featured 13 unique opponents; Rutgers was the only team Iowa played twice in that stretch of games (the Hawkeyes won both games over the Scarlet Knights). The final six games of Iowa's 2023 Big Ten schedule are nothing but rematch games; the Hawkeyes play four teams that beat them earlier this season (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Nebraska) as well as two teams that they beat earlier in the year (Northwestern and Indiana). Sweeping Northwestern and/or Indiana would be very nice, but an even bigger priority might be avenging those prior losses -- especially given where most of those teams sit in the Big Ten standings.

The first team on Iowa's potential Revenge Tour is Ohio State, who blasted the doors off Iowa in Columbus three weeks ago. Since then, Iowa has won four of six games, while Ohio State has lost six straight. In fact, that mid-January win over Iowa is Ohio State's only win since January 1; the Buckeyes have lost 11 of their last 12 games entering Thursday night. The bottom has well and truly fallen out on their season.
Ohio State beat Iowa in the first meeting this season because of some absolutely torrid shooting. The Buckeyes shot 56% from the field, scored 93 points (56 in the second half alone), and averaged 1.31 points per possession. They shot well from long range (8/16), but the Buckeyes did most of their damage closer to the basket. Ohio State was 28/48 (58%) on 2-point shots and outscored Iowa 50-32 in points in the paint.

It wasn't a case of Ohio State's bigs dominating down low, either -- big man Zed Key had 11 points and 9 rebounds, but shot just 4/10 from the floor. Most of the damage came from Ohio State's guards and wings, who sliced through Iowa's perimeter defense like it wasn't there. Freshman Brice Sensabaugh led Ohio State with 27 points, which included a 5/7 performance inside the 3-point arc (he was also 4/5 from deep, so Iowa wasn't really able to stop him anywhere on the court). Isaac Likekele had 18 points and Sean McNeil added 10 points; they combined to shoot 8/14 on 2-point attempts. The Ohio State game was a very long day, and a real low point for Iowa's guards.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/preview-iowa-mbb-vs-ohio-state
only 1 other defense in top 75 is worse than IOWA at #145 gave up 93 to tOSU in their only win in their last 12 games.

never underestimate what can happen when you bring a statistically inept defense to the game.

how can a team of such accomplished scorers be soo bad at defense ?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think the Bucks are a tough match-up for us. They throttled the Hawks in Columbus. They shot extremely well at their place. Zed Key could be the Key for them inside. Hawks need this one. Go Hawks!

I think the Bucks are a tough match-up for us. They throttled the Hawks in Columbus. They shot extremely well at their place. Zed Key could be the Key for them inside. Hawks need this one. Go Hawks!
Ogundele can bring more size and mass than Zed is used to playing against

Larry Scirotto driving a rental car over to IC from Evanston this morning.
;)
Someone send a niece or whoever over to his hotel room. He's definitely got a hrd on for Fran. We need some kind of goodwill. I'd send my sister but she's in the Dells.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT