ADVERTISEMENT

*****Ohio St vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Problem is the BIGS that may be needed the next 3 weeks still have almost ZERO minutes on the floor.

But I’m not shocked with his short sightedness. Typical Fran.
So true, in the tourney well see real potential for foul trouble with Rebraca and Kris, along with those teams with size, and will be forced to bring in Ogundele, who would benefit from game experience in 20 point blow outs.

but sadly, Fran cant see away to get those plyers minutes, even in with a 28 point lead late in game at home against a team thta has lost 11 of 12 and missing their best post player.

he’d rather give those minutes to a player like Patrick to get 4-5 shots up late in game.

Last edited:
recall Dix played last +10 minutes to pull out a come from behind vs Michigan
now can’t be trusted foe ANY minutes up 20?

When Dix came in OSU was pressing in an extremely physical fashion,... Michigan did not press.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
So true, in the tourney well see real potential for foul trouble with Rebraca and Kris, along with those teams with size, and will be forced to bring in Ogundele, who would benefit from game experience in 20 point blow outs.

but sadly, Fran cant see away to get those plyers minutes, even in with a 28 point lead late in game at home against a team thta has lost 11 of 12 and their best post player.

he’d rather give those minutes to a player like Patrick to get 4-5 shots up late on game.
At this point I’m not surprised.

he got benched because three times in a row he failed to take the ball to the middle and instead allowed OS to trap
3 times?

There was only 2 possessions and Bowen didn't touch the ball on the second one.

Sandfort threw a bad pass to Perkins on second possession.

3 times sounds way more convincing though.

Last edited:
Reactions: shanksit44

but sadly, Fran cant see away to get those plyers minutes, even in with a 28 point lead late in game at home against a team thta has lost 11 of 12 and missing their best post player.

he’d rather give those minutes to a player like Patrick to get 4-5 shots up late in game.
Exactly my thoughts last night. What has Patrick done to earn 20+ minutes? He wasn't in when the game was tight, but played all of the late minutes when the game was decided.....I'd expect that rubs some guys the wrong way....

Exactly my thoughts last night. What has Patrick done to earn 20+ minutes? He wasn't in when the game was tight, but played all of the late minutes when the game was decided.....I'd expect that rubs some guys the wrong way....
Well Patrick maybe had a good practice which earned him more playing time.
My hope is that all the players are needed down the stretch. Maybe it will help his play later in games.

We need Patrick to get the rust off to strengthen our core rotation.
He is way more likely to help the team down the stretch than Josh,Dix or Bowen.
Remember how well he was playing down the stretch(vs Richmond?) Last year?
He needs to regain that form that had fans projecting 15pts/game coming into the season.

• Wow
Reactions: Hendy hawk and KcTo
He needs to regain that form that had fans projecting 15pts/game coming into the season.
Agree, but we didn't need the starters in up 22 with 3 minutes left.

It was a rare opportunity to let the freshmen see a press with no real consequences.

Fran should have called time out, chewed their ass, explained what they were doing wrong and had them try again.

You learn by making mistakes.

What happens when rebraca is in foul trouble against teams with dominant centers?
is Patrick going to guard them?

Patrick is a tall shooting forward, that is a redundant assets on this team
he can’t play defense in paint,

When Rebraca is out, how does Iowa defend big front lines?

What happens when rebraca is in foul trouble against teams with dominant centers?

Josh or Riley ... go small and play zone, or ... :)

dance-standing-on-shoulders.gif

We will do what we did last nite.
Patrick might just be a better defender in the paint simply walling up vs other bigs.
We know he can't defend out on the perimeter vs sfs.
Maybe Frans has decided to cut bait inside for the rest of this season. Maybe Josh's knee flared up.
After key went out there was no good matchup for Josh.

• Wow
Reactions: KcTo
We will do what we did last nite.
Patrick might just be a better defender in the paint simply walling up vs other bigs.
We know he can't defend out on the perimeter vs sfs.
Maybe Frans has decided to cut bait inside for the rest of this season. Maybe Josh's knee flared up.
After key went out there was no good matchup for Josh.
IOWA will struggle against size and teams that rebound, see ILlinois and Purdue, as Fran refuses to play his size, this will bite IOWA in tourney. IMHO.

I thought the tourney was all about guard play?
Not if you get crushed on the defensive end

Iowa can get away with this vs 3-12 tOSU and 1-14 MN, even then the defensive inefficiencies of allowing MN 50% and tOSU 57% FG%

this porous defense was ridiculed on National TV broadcast for all to see.

Why not put Bowen in at the 1? Isn't that his natural position?

Instead, he's a 2/3 and probably playing out of position for what he's used to. Then gets yanked because someone throws him the ball in a bad place.

Kinda figured most teams would work one of their best freshmen in more and more as the season goes on so that they can grow/develop and have experience heading into their sophomore season.

Not the case at Iowa.

Hes looked completely lost his last 10 or so game apperances?
Ok. What does that have to do with anything that was said up to this point?

Last night they each had the ball for maybe a combined 3 seconds. Thats a pretty big stretch to call that stumbling through a press.

Especially when the turnover didn't involve either one of them.

Last edited:
It looked to me like when Fran put the bench in OSU cranked up their physical play even more,.. I don't think it was so much about our bench as it was Fran saying phuck it, it that's the way OSU wants to play this out we're going back to the front line...

Isn't this the thread where you can mock the whiners who complained that Bowen should be taking minutes from Ulis and Connor because those were real things that were said by more than 10 people?....................

Or is there another thread for that?
Nope, this is the game thread where we discuss the most current game or at least things that are somewhat relevant. Not takes from two months ago.

You could go dig up those old threads from two or three months ago if you think it matters.

It looked to me like when Fran put the bench in OSU cranked up their physical play even more,.. I don't think it was so much about our bench as it was Fran saying phuck it, it that's the way OSU wants to play this out we're going back to the front line...

Agreed.

Nope, this is the game thread where we discuss the most current game or at least things that are somewhat relevant. Not takes from two months ago.

You could go dig up those old threads from two or three months ago if you think it matters.
............you were one of those people pushing for Bowen weren't you. That would explain why you're so defensive right now. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: RocknRollface
............you were one of those people pushing for Bowen weren't you. That would explain why you're so defensive right now. ;)
I just think its silly to try to pretend like that's been a topic anytime in the last few months.

Yeah I wanted Bowen to get more PT in November when he was playing well and Ulis wasn't, but Ive never said Ulis shouldn't start.

If you really want to do some digging I'm positive I'll have 10x the amount of posts defending Ulis pt vs anything to do with Bowen.

And you'll find zero posts saying Connor shouldn't start, only that Sandfort and Dix should be getting a few more minutes.

I just think its silly to try to pretend like that's been a topic anytime in the last few months.

Yeah I wanted Bowen to get more PT in November when he was playing well and Ulis wasn't, but Ive never said Ulis shouldn't start.

If you really want to do some digging I'm positive I'll have 10x the amount of posts defending Ulis pt vs anything to do with Bowen.

And you'll find zero posts saying Connor shouldn't start, only that Sandfort and Dix should be getting a few more minutes.
I'll back you up on the Ulis statement. You're wrong, but I'll totally back you up.

Penny wise and dollar short thinking.
when we are in tournament and there’s injuries, sickness, fatigue and fouls, and Dix, Bowen or Ogundele is required, they won’t have the benefit of experiencing playing time time, as it was mistakenly withheld

I don't know man, Bowen got a lot of minutes in November and December. The first 15 games he averaged 13.1 minutes/per along with a start. Last night was Iowa's first B1G blowout. An extra 5 minutes last night isn't some sort of make or break for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT