ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks-Nebby

Interesting Iowa has so many (or's) in the lineup. I hope Brands wrestles all the starters.

But
Id be curious to see 174 with Kennedy vs Labs
141 Nebby has Red or Lovett. Honestly think Lovett would give Jaydin more fits because hes pretty good on the mat. If he is filled out I believe Lovett is a better wrestler than Red. I was impressed with him last season. Not sure whats going on..is Lovett gonna come back to 133?
looks like Venz is going now. I didn't think he was. Only Brands was listed at 184.
149 Reyna listed. I really want to see Murin vs Hardy. Could be sneaky match of the night between 2 future AA's

125: Fall 6-0
133: TF 11-10
141: Dec 14-0
149: Dec 17-0
157: Dec 20-0
165: Fall 26-0
174: Major 31-0
184: L Dec 31-3
197: L Dec 31-6
hwt: Dec 34-6

Giving Nebraska wins at 184 and 197 but could easily be a shut out. Matches that could be good are 141, 149, 157, 184 and 197. With what Red showed last week he better be better than that or he could get pinned. 149 is going to be interesting with Murin up a weight and Hardy is decent. Will Young have a better handle on 157 or will it be the same as last year? 184 and 197 they should be favored but both matches are easily winnable.
Warner looked sharp at the HWC showdown but dont remember now who he wrestled. Schulz is tough but Warners got this.

Reactions: Grip220
Thanks for the information. Until you actually use it, you haven't added it. Hope he gets it all together this year. Some of the lesser opponents, he should really be focusing on to make the new stuff work and gain confidence in using it.

He used more varied attacks through the season but wasn’t able to execute them vs RBY.

Warner looked sharp at the HWC showdown but dont remember now who he wrestled. Schulz is tough but Warners got this.

It was Glazier. Schulz is on a different level though I agree Warner should be favored.

Two things from that match notes that stick out
1- Nelson Brands starter for the Iowa Hawkeyes 184LBS
2- This one was hard to notice but is a complete shocker to me, maybe someone could explain because I still cannot wrap my head around it! There were 3 people that did vote for Lee for the Hodge.

Two things from that match notes that stick out
1- Nelson Brands starter for the Iowa Hawkeyes 184LBS
2- This one was hard to notice but is a complete shocker to me, maybe someone could explain because I still cannot wrap my head around it! There were 3 people that did vote for Lee for the Hodge.
Could you elaborate some on point #2? I don't understand what you are pointing out. Lee won the Hodge and I assumed it was by a significant margin.

Could you elaborate some on point #2? I don't understand what you are pointing out. Lee won the Hodge and I assumed it was by a significant margin.
If you open up the match notes pdf in the middle there is a picture of Spencer holding the Hodge, below that picture is the caption that reads he received 52 out of a possible 57 first place votes. Completely mind blowing.

Last edited:
He wrestled his back up. He looked good there, but not at U23s where he looked pretty average. Schultz beat him in their last meeting. Warner beat Schultz by razor thin margins in 2019. I would expect a very tight match.

Keep in mind, too, that one of the criteria for the Hodge is pins. While I 100% agree that Spencer deserved to win, I can see some of the voters putting heavy emphasis on total number of falls.

(From the NCAA website)

"Originally created to celebrate the pin in college wrestling, the Dan Hodge Trophy is based on seven criteria including record, number of pins, dominance, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart. The trophy is based primarily on the results of a single season, but past accomplishments are considered as well, particularly in years where the competition is tighter. "

If you open up the match notes pdf in the middle there is a picture of Spencer holding the Hodge, below that picture is the caption that reads he received 52 out of a possible 57 first place votes. Completely mind blowing.
It doesn't surprise me. Since WIN started releasing the vote totals in 2013, no one has received 100% of the first place votes.

That's including studs like Dake, Taylor, Steiber, Dieringer, Retherford, and Nickal. Dake was the closest before Lee and he had 39/43.

Thanks for the reply. I think your statement was missing a "not" in it.

"2- This one was hard to notice but is a complete shocker to me, maybe someone could explain because I still cannot wrap my head around it! There were 3 people that did not vote for Lee for the Hodge."

It doesn't surprise me. Since WIN started releasing the vote totals in 2013, no one has received 100% of the first place votes.

That's including studs like Dake, Taylor, Steiber, Dieringer, Retherford, and Nickal. Dake was the closest before Lee and he had 39/43.
Eerily similar to MLB Hall of Fame, with Mariano Rivera being the only unanimous selection. Not Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, etc. Boggles the mind.

Eerily similar to MLB Hall of Fame, with Mariano Rivera being the only unanimous selection. Not Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, etc. Boggles the mind.
You're spot on. Plus if you look at the guys that also received 1st place votes, they all wrestled more matches than Lee, went undefeated, and arguably faced stiffer competition.

Lee (52): 18-0
Moore (3): 27-0
Griffith (1): 28-0
Deakin (1): 21-0

Him taking 52 votes is incredible.

You're spot on. Plus if you look at the guys that also received 1st place votes, they all wrestled more matches than Lee, went undefeated, and arguably faced stiffer competition.

Lee (52): 18-0
Moore (3): 27-0
Griffith (1): 28-0
Deakin (1): 21-0

Him taking 52 votes is incredible.
Yep, but my post was relative to all those past winners not being unanimous, not just Spencer Lee (I'm not pouting about Spencer Lee not being unanimous BTW, just happy he won it). I'm not gonna revisit those years for all those guys, but my guess is certainly some of them were no-brainers, but a few somebodies from somewhere didn't want that to be.

That is not to say others aren't deserving of votes or recognition, but as with MLB, when it's so lopsided yet not unanimous it reinforces the idea that some of these "voters" just want the attention of not going along with the crowd. Babe Ruth? Are you F'ing kidding me? What's it take? SMH

What a great team to throttle right out of the gate!!!!
Rankings from WrestlingStat

125- TF- 5-0 (1 vs 15)
133- TF- 10-0 (2 vs 29)
141- Dec- 13-0 (3 vs 5)
149- Dec- 16-0 (5 vs 15)
157- Dec- 19-0 (11 vs 28)
165- Fall- 25-0 (1 vs 16)
174- Dec- 28-0 (1 vs 4)
184- L Dec- 28-3 (8 vs 6)
197- Dec- 31-3 (5 vs 7)
Hwt- Fall- 37-3 (4 vs 21)

** 1pt deduction on Nebby bench

Final 37-2

EroJ4etXUAACxmu

I think there's a lot of 'OR' s in the lineups b/c they serve as a pretty good indication who we might see in 'extra' matches.

I talked to M* and Snyder this week and there will definitely be some of those.
So
Happel vs Lovett
Reyna vs Parrish
Kennedy vs Alford
Corbin vs Allred

I hope we also see

Ybarra/Cullen vs Reno/Serrano
Assad vs Haas

So
Happel vs Lovett
Reyna vs Parrish
Kennedy vs Alford
Corbin vs Allred

I hope we also see

Ybarra/Cullen vs Reno/Serrano
Assad vs Haas
Wish we could see these. Happel and Lovett going to be a good one. And Kennedy, just like watching him against anyone. He might beat Venz but I will guess he tech falls this Alf fella even without knowing anything about Alf. It would be nice to see how Assad is progressing.

IDK. last i heard was that it wasn't likely Kennedy would be an extra match. certainly could have changed. hope it did. i wanna see him.

Any word on Assad not even being listed as an "or"? Injured, sick, or can't talk about it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT