ADVERTISEMENT

Hidlay to NC State.

The other day someone posted that Iowa typical scholarship to a stud is 83% if that's true you can get 12 studs for that $.
I don't see 12 guys on roster that fit that profile so with that being said not sure how $ is a issue

You fell for the 83% gag? I guess we are having too much fun in these parts.

The 83 % wasnt posted by me it was ih8iast8 who posted it.I was just using his # to show you can get 12 studs for that $

It goes to show you what you could do with 9.9 & have very little depth. Most of the roster & 1 backup per weight at 50%. You'd just be hosed if both went down.

I said it already- iowa never reached out to Brayton Lee either. How are you Iowa and never even gauge a top level talents interest in one of, if not the most storied wrestling program in existence. If he’s not Iowa style, then Iowa style doesn’t exist any longer.

Hidlay was a tough loss. His ceiling is much higher than Brooks at the College level IMO. If I were picking a FS team I would take Brooks. If I were building a team to compete for a National title, give me Hoagie all day, every day.
ummm....maybe because maybe we have no moneys'.....listen to Tom....

Some folks need to step away from the ledge. Trent is a good kid and a good wrestler but not a world beater top ten. Not even sure if he is the best at his weight or that he is going to grow into 84. If he didn't, we have the guy at 74 who beat him a few times. Lots of ifs in there...but it would have been nice to have him.

If you want to legit complain, then complain about 33 because that's about all we whiffed on. Cash will be our 184 his jr and sr year. I don't know if Hidlay would have beaten him out his RS Freshman year.

Like I said in another post, we had Brandon's money to play with and thats about it. It sucks, but its not like the cupboard is bare.
And another he's not that good anyway excuse... and even threw in some we've got a better guy already excuse. You're the man chief but come on, Cash? Even if the RS freshmen year prediction is accurate, Trent still has a much bigger ceiling and we don't recruit only for his RSFr year.

Best of luck to Hidlay. Now we need to go get Kennedy and hope Wilcke can cut back down to 184.
I'm hearing Kennedy is a Gopher lean and is more of an '84/97 guy in college. But the Hawks have a perfect spot for him at 84 in 3 years, which is a nice sell, plus if the Hawks can get some major National recognition at those weights the next couple of years, can only help.

Reactions: TarpHawk
You fell for the 83% gag? I guess we are having too much fun in these parts.
Not at all was just showing how many guys you can get for 83%.I know a few Iowa wrestlers who got way less so I knew you were full of shit.

This is where I'm at. We've got Cass, Lugo, N Brands, and hopefully one key semester of Downey. 133 is a hole right now. 184 is less so.

BTW, Hidlay's lackluster performance doesn't mean he's not a stud, it simply proved he's not a Hall or Steveson. That is a relief given his commitment elsewhere. Please get on the f-ing phone with Brooks. Please get Kennedy in the scopes. Please don't put all eggs on one guy and let it come down to a coin toss like this.

It's healthy to keep talking about the ways we need to improve recruiting-wise, because for whatever reason we aren't keeping pace with PSU and tOSU. It's not the message board's responsibility to solve those problems, it's Tom's, but it's fair game to talk about it. The alternative is to accept it, and that's not an option. Either Tom is capable of solving it or he's not. That's a fair discussion.

But the sky's not falling over Hidlay and Teske going elsewhere.
Good sensible post, and I agree the sky isn't falling over just losing these two. But these aren't the only misses either.

Reactions: TarpHawk
If we don’t have Warner, Lee, Murin, Wilson, Costello and Lugo on less than 3.5 scholarships, then we have coaches who don’t know how to game the system. Warner, Wilson, Lee, and Murin were all NHS members. They should be here on at least 50% academic. Lugo should have some financial aid since I know he’s not the wealthiest and Costello is in state. I think it should be less than 2 total scholarships.

It goes to show you what you could do with 9.9 & have very little depth. Most of the roster & 1 backup per weight at 50%. You'd just be hosed if both went down.
Yeah well, that is a gamble we need to start taking imo. It's working out elsewhere and the whole need for room depth is an old school myth. Rutherford didn't get better wresting the 149 backup, he gets better wrestling Nolf, Joseph etc...

Need that “greatest wrestling facility in the world” last year...too many more seasons go by with no significant run at a title and Iowa wrestling is on verge of becoming Nebraska football.

I wish Barta could pull some of his awesome fundraising efforts together and put some serious energy behind Iowa wrestling.

Reactions: hawknut
And another he's not that good anyway excuse... and even threw in some we've got a better guy already excuse. You're the man chief but come on, Cash? Even if the RS freshmen year prediction is accurate, Trent still has a much bigger ceiling and we don't recruit only for his RSFr year.

So you're going with he was a must get? 133 was a must get. BTW, I said he was very good, but not in the world beater column. Can't argue with facts...Young has beat him and I think 174 is where he'll be at his freshman and sophomore year. I agree with Tarp: One tourney did not sour me on Hidlay just like it didn't sour me on Teske. But damn, how much money you want to give them? Evidently, NC State has more plus his bro. I think it came down to blood...very hard to get past that. Like I said, I would have liked to have got him but Cash will be just fine.

If we don’t have Warner, Lee, Murin, Wilson, Costello and Lugo on less than 3.5 scholarships, then we have coaches who don’t know how to game the system. Warner, Wilson, Lee, and Murin were all NHS members. They should be here on at least 50% academic. Lugo should have some financial aid since I know he’s not the wealthiest and Costello is in state. I think it should be less than 2 total scholarships.

Not that I disagree with your overall point but simply being a NHS member doesn't automatically mean you score a 50% academic scholarship at a school like Iowa.

So you're going with he was a must get? 133 was a must get. BTW, I said he was very good, but not in the world beater column. Can't argue with facts...Young has beat him and I think 174 is where he'll be at his freshman and sophomore year. I agree with Tarp: One tourney did not sour me on Hidlay just like it didn't sour me on Teske. But damn, how much money you want to give them? Evidently, NC State has more plus his bro. I think it came down to blood...very hard to get past that. Like I said, I would have liked to have got him but Cash will be just fine.
Youngs also 2 years older than him so not sure that result means all that much. Its not just the counting on Cash in 2 yrs, and again this year at 97, but the year after he graduates who's going to be our 184? We dont have one in the room or coming in 2018 at this point so it's looking like another multi year weak weight. And yes, I'd call him a must get both bc of the hole at the weight and I think he'll be a multi year AA. And another guy with PA roots...

Not that I disagree with your overall point but simply being a NHS member doesn't automatically mean you score a 50% academic scholarship at a school like Iowa.

Agreed, just that they should qualify for academic as a result (especially as out of state kids)

I was in NHS and had no where near 50% academic scholarship. I got 0% aid from the University. My only academic scholarships were low dollar local ones. I don't think they hand out academic scholarships that easily at Iowa. Maybe if you're a minority.

Youngs also 2 years older than him so not sure that result means all that much. Its not just the counting on Cash in 2 yrs, and again this year at 97, but the year after he graduates who's going to be our 184? We dont have one in the room or coming in 2018 at this point so it's looking like another multi year weak weight. And yes, I'd call him a must get both bc of the hole at the weight and I think he'll be a multi year AA. And another guy with PA roots...

Address 184 next year then. The coaches liked him and Teske but I don't know how much they liked them in terms of $$$. 133 was the severe need and that's been covered ad nauseum.

For the last four years, we have been bitching about getting top tens...point scorers at NCAAs. Guys who will put up bonus through the quarters. They went out and got some in Kemerer, Lee, Marinelli, Warner and got one of the best transfers of the year in Lugo who is plug and play...the guy capable of beating Sorensen. Plus they took care of HWY which is one of the tougher weights to recruit in.

Like I said, it was 133 that got me drinking pepto. Good luck to Trent and I'm sure he'll have a fine career...I really like his personality and his grit.

I was in NHS and had no where near 50% academic scholarship. I got 0% aid from the University. My only academic scholarships were low dollar local ones. I don't think they hand out academic scholarships that easily at Iowa. Maybe if you're a minority.
Iowa should get more minorities then....that could be our slush fund! Ok I'm kidding....but seriously think about it

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
I'm hearing Kennedy is a Gopher lean and is more of an '84/97 guy in college. But the Hawks have a perfect spot for him at 84 in 3 years, which is a nice sell, plus if the Hawks can get some major National recognition at those weights the next couple of years, can only help.

Erroneous! Erroneous on both counts!

But seriously, stop listening to whoever it is you're listening to.

Well there's one maybe he wasn't good enough excuse.
When did we figure that out exactly, after we had him for a visit?
You're reading too much into it. I'm saying personally, maybe the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Iowa was in on him and who knows what the offer was. I don't think Iowa passed on him. If he would have had a Cass type performance this weekend I would have been more disappointed. Without making leaps I don't see him beating out Cash and his matches this weekend frustrated me like Alex Meyer did. Then again it was just one weekend.... Only time will tell. I'm on the Kennedy bus and he falls into place right after Cash. Lots of work to do and I want to see our coaches go after this kid and will be disappointed if they do not.

Yes!!! Thank the lord baby Jesus. He blows, I mean he might be a 3 timer AA, but I didn't want to waste a penny on him. Trust me, we got a hammer in the pipeline that's going to that will have his goofy hoagie eating ass pounding pork tenderloins in a year.

Like I said it's going to end up with tOSU and Michigan dominating the B1G in a couple of years. Iowa, psu and Nebraska on the second tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: ih8iast8
Great class last year followed up by what? A heavyweight and Nelson? That’s extremely weak. I’m disgusted. No momentum.
It has to be disappointing to Lee, who talked about getting other top guys to Iowa. Especially not even contacting Brooks. Our recruiting seems random and misguided. We need a recruiting coordinator.

And who says what they are or are not doing is legal? Plus coaches can only do what the compliance office allows and permits. It does appear as in the past some are more into allowing gray or even very dark gray areas than others.
We aren’t even contacting kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT