ADVERTISEMENT

Historical Rankings college Wrestling

^^^^^R U touched in the head!?!?!? Serious question!

OK, lets go over this v e r y s l o w & CLEARLY!!!

1st- please PLEASE
TRY to understand some things BEFORE making stupid comments!!!

Spencer LEE has not been 100% his entire college career. There is not a single wrestler named on this list that could have even come close to doing what he did PERIOD!!!

Before moving forward, if you want to dismiss what he had to overcome, then maybe you have an argument?

SL tore his ACL in HS, wrestled in the states. Had surgery, WON NCAA as a TRUE Freshman beating many great wrestlers easily!!! So here is your chance to tell me who else did THAT!?!?!?!? Answer NO ONE!!! Who else could have done that???? Once again, answer NO ONE!!!

He continued to wrestle and train at well under 100%. It has been talked about; how modified his work out had to be. This is for his entire college career. He has NOT BEEN ABLE TO TRAIN ALL OUT!!! So here I will ask again. Who on your list could have WON NCAAs while NOT being able to train at anywhere near 100%? Answer NO ONE!!!

Now we come to the CRAZIEST PART!!! SL has NO ACLs. He tore them both. He continues to wrestle and WINS the NCAAs AGAIN!!!!! Do I even have to ask!?!?!? Is there anyone on here stupid enough to think that another wrestler named above could have done this???

So, if you ONLY want to talk about wins and loses, that is your argument. then very simple you just go down the line starting with Kale. Problem is, many have already talked about other factors, most notably DAKE and his wins at 4 weights.

Why is this something(and believe me I know it is)? How about who the wrestlers beat? Why is that important, but wrestling with NO ACLs, well that does not count in our evaluation because why!?!?!?!?

Most of us older Gents have gotten to watch many if not all of this great wrestlers from the modern era(after WW2, which when talking of greatness. there are some at a WHOLE NOTHER LEVEL which I will not get into here)

IF you are watching, and if you have seen lets just say. Kale, Taylor, Smith, Stirbeler, Dake etc... Have you ever witnessed them going through top ranked guys like a freaking BUZZ SAW aka Spencer LEE!?!?!? I mean he steps on the mat, and IF he doesn't pin or tech a guy in under a minute, you start to wonder if he hurt his knee or something? That is how crazy it is!!!

So go on and continue to either, not understand what you are watching??? OR maybe because you are not an IOWA guy you want to pretend SL just isn't that great because he lost at maybe 50% of his best self(and if you think anyone could beat him at 100%, I have a bridge to sell you!!!).

In conclusion, rank em any stupid way you wish. Use any stupid formula you wish? Take into account the things that will make your guy look better and SL look worse! The bottom line is very simple and I do hope I am wrong, BUT we are most likely watching the GOAT!!! A ONCE IN A LIFE TIME TALENT!!!
Your entire point is based on Spencer being hurt. Agreed - he is the best INJURED wrestler of all-time. However, didn't he take all his losses before he was hurt? And who of real quality has he beaten the past two years? The best 125 lb of all-time, we can agree on that. But not in the conversation for GOAT. There is zero data or evidence to back that claim up - other than being an Iowa fan. If he was a PSU or OKLA ST guy, there's NO WAY you would be saying he was the GOAT based on his career.

Cael did take a redshirt and his loss doesn’t count on his official record. Lots of wrestlers use shirts, red - grey- medical or Olympic. Put down the Kool aid and take a minute to google Cael’s record. I’m sure some wrestlers got pinned in practice, are you counting those as well? Lol.
Spencer may be the best 125 pounder ever but come back to reality and just enjoy the show he’ll put on at Big 10s and nationals.
I just stated a fact. Spencer did not redshirt and won a national championship as a true freshman. Carl did take a redshirt and did not win a national championship his true freshman year. He also took a loss that year. Not at practice, at a tournament, with coaches, fans, officials and scorekeepers. When the ref raised Carl's opponents hand at the end of the match, he officially loss the match.
And Gable is the Greatest of All Time

Reactions: LIV4GOD
I just stated a fact. Spencer did not redshirt and won a national championship as a true freshman. Carl did take a redshirt and did not win a national championship his true freshman year. He also took a loss that year. Not at practice, at a tournament, with coaches, fans, officials and scorekeepers. When the ref raised Carl's opponents hand at the end of the match, he officially loss the match.
And Gable is the Greatest of All Time
Good points but a redshirt is a redshirt and the loss isn’t on his record. Still 159-0. Gable was amazing and had a one tiny hiccup in his college wrestling career. Disagreements about who is the GOAT will never be resolved and they are all just personal opinions. That being said, if you haven’t been following this thread, you’re not a true Iowa Hawkeye wrestling fan if you don’t say Spencer Lee is the greatest wrestler ever. Hopefully you’re shocked by this as much as I was.

Someone who I'm surprised really hasn't been mentioned yet is Yianni. If he wins out this year for his 4th, he will have won 4 titles with only 2 losses, which is behind only Cael for the 4-timers. He also won one of his titles on a torn ACL, so he has the "injured wrestler" factor going for him as well. In fact, I think had he not lost to Gomez this year, there could be an argument that he was better than Cael, considering he would've only had one loss and it would've come in his first year out of high school and he later avenged it, much like Cael (only Cael's loss didn't count on his official record)

That said, Yianni did lose to Gomez this year, so he would have the distinction of being the only 4 timer who lost during his senior year. There's also the factor that he doesn't have the bonus percentage or the Hodge trophies like Spencer does, and he doesn't have the "wow" factor either (IMO). But also he does have a World Silver while still in college, so does that bump him up again?

It's an interesting debate for sure. Depending on how you weigh different factors and accomplishments can change the order you put these guys in

Reactions: PAHURDLER and mcpat
Wow, you dropped the mic on that one!
The mic drop should be after what sstark46 said...
It's an interesting debate for sure. Depending on how you weigh different factors and accomplishments can change the order you put these guys in
All I know is that most of the best choices here wrestled for a college in the state of Iowa (and none in PA), so we win no matter what. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
The mic drop should be after this...

All I know is that most of the best choices here wrestled for a college in the state of Iowa (and none in PA), so we win no matter what. 😉
I don’t see this happening but if Starocci stays for 5 years and wins out, is he tops with 5 national championships and only 2 losses his freshman year? That would give PA a wrestler from that state and school a contender at least.

Cael lost matches his freshman year. They did not count because he redshirted. Spencer’s losses counted because he did not redshirt.

Exactly. Cael is certainly at the top, or just behind Hodge, but the "never lost" narrative surrounding Cael simply isn't true.

Hodge
Cael
Dake
Lee

Your entire point is based on Spencer being hurt. Agreed - he is the best INJURED wrestler of all-time. However, didn't he take all his losses before he was hurt? And who of real quality has he beaten the past two years? The best 125 lb of all-time, we can agree on that. But not in the conversation for GOAT. There is zero data or evidence to back that claim up - other than being an Iowa fan. If he was a PSU or OKLA ST guy, there's NO WAY you would be saying he was the GOAT based on his career.
Spencer was hurt coming out of high school, so all of his losses came after injury and while being injured or rehabilitating. Maybe the loss to Piccininni he was in the best health of any of his losses.

..., there could be an argument that he was better than Cael, considering he would've only had one loss and it would've come in his first year out of high school and he later avenged it,
I just love watching Yanni. He's gumby damnit!

Nevertheless; the heretofore referenced argument is just plain rediculous.

Go look up Cael's bonus % then Yanni's. With a little more facts and perspective, I think you will be embarrassed.

I don’t see this happening but if Starocci stays for 5 years and wins out, is he tops with 5 national championships and only 2 losses his freshman year? That would give PA a wrestler from that state and school a contender at least.
No, he would not automatically be tops. Clearly he would be in the discussion. No one criteria rules. I can see cases where a wrestler with 3 titles is more impressive than one with 4, 0 losses less impressive than a guy with 3 losses, and so on. Level of competition (conference and at Nats), dominance of wins, integrity/class, overcoming injuries, and on and on. Fine to discuss, but can't believe anyone thinks they can objectively win the debate. Lots of GOATS out there, lots more to come (hopefully from Iowa).

Reactions: Mendoza77 and mcpat
I just love watching Yanni. He's gumby damnit!

Nevertheless; the heretofore referenced argument is just plain rediculous.

Go look up Cael's bonus % then Yanni's. With a little more facts and perspective, I think you will be embarrassed.

Read my whole post before responding next time :)

I certainly wouldn't put Yianni (or anyone for that matter) over Cael as far as college careers go, just stated (with a no longer valid condition) that there could be an argument made. I think Yianni's loss to Gomez makes it all moot anyway.

Spencer was hurt coming out of high school, so all of his losses came after injury and while being injured or rehabilitating. Maybe the loss to Piccininni he was in the best health of any of his losses.
Loss to piccinnini was actually when he was one of his unhealthiest overall.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
As others have said, it’s all in the eye of the beholder. Is it NCAA titles? Career wins? Win %? Who you beat? Bonus wins? NCAA tournament dominance? Etc.

Personally, for all around, I go with Cael. Understood he redshirted and lost while on redshirt. But he checks all the boxes. Someone had asked earlier who he beat; a future world silver medalist and a future world bronze medalist.

Dake has moved up in my mind since this thread was started.

After Cael, it’s a crapshoot for me with all the names listed by others. But let me add one more name to it: Retherford. Ended his college career on a 93 match win streak, 81 of them by bonus. Show me a guy win 93 in a row again and I’ll reconsider his place among those after Cael.

Read my whole post before responding next time :)

I certainly wouldn't put Yianni (or anyone for that matter) over Cael as far as college careers go, just stated (with a no longer valid condition) that there could be an argument made. I think Yianni's loss to Gomez makes it all moot anyway.
Yanni undefeated doesn't complete with Cael or Gable IMO. GOAT without dominance is empty.

Yanni undefeated doesn't complete with Cael or Gable IMO. GOAT without dominance is empty.
And I agree with that completely. All I was saying though is that some people may also point to his World Silver while still in college, or the fact that he won his first on a torn ACL just one year removed from high school, or maybe something else as their criteria for moving him up. It's all subjective, which makes for interesting discussion.

Personally, if Spencer and Yianni win out this year, I would rank the 4-timers (in terms of college careers only) as:

1) Cael
2) Spencer
3) Dake
4) Yianni
5) Stieber
6) Smith

Had Yianni not lost to Gomez this year, I would entertain moving him to number 2 and Spencer and Dake move down one

Reactions: Mendoza77 and mcpat
As others have said, it’s all in the eye of the beholder. Is it NCAA titles? Career wins? Win %? Who you beat? Bonus wins? NCAA tournament dominance? Etc.

Personally, for all around, I go with Cael. Understood he redshirted and lost while on redshirt. But he checks all the boxes. Someone had asked earlier who he beat; a future world silver medalist and a future world bronze medalist.

Dake has moved up in my mind since this thread was started.

After Cael, it’s a crapshoot for me with all the names listed by others. But let me add one more name to it: Retherford. Ended his college career on a 93 match win streak, 81 of them by bonus. Show me a guy win 93 in a row again and I’ll reconsider his place among those after Cael.
Retherford was obviously outstanding. However, you could say his competition was subpar outside of his one win over Stieber his freshman year. His next best wins are Deakin (former NC and 4 time AA), Sorensen (4 time AA), Lavion Mayes (3 time AA), Pantaleo (3 time AA) and Micah Jordan (3 time AA). Very good wrestlers but not anything close to Dake beating Taylor. You can only wrestle who steps on the mat but the lack of high end wins keeps Retherford a tier below others. IMO.

Reactions: mcpat
Retherford. Ended his college career on a 93 match win streak, 81 of them by bonus. Show me a guy win 93 in a row again and I’ll reconsider his place among those after Cael.

Had Zain redshirted his first year and then wrestled the next 4 all at 149, he likely is a 4-timer and maybe even goes undefeated.

However, without his 12 points in 2014, PSU doesn't win the team title, and the ~25 points he would've added in 2015 wouldn't have been enough for PSU to win the team title that year either. Interesting thought, would you rather give up a team title and have Zain be a 4-timer, or keep things as-is and Zain hurts himself a little bit in these all-time discussions with a 5th place finish but PSU keeps the 2014 team title?

Of course, maybe Cael doesn't redshirt other guys in 2015 with the team title in reach, so maybe it would be both things

Reactions: mcpat
And I agree with that completely. All I was saying though is that some people may also point to his World Silver while still in college, or the fact that he won his first on a torn ACL just one year removed from high school, or maybe something else as their criteria for moving him up. It's all subjective, which makes for interesting discussion.

Personally, if Spencer and Yianni win out this year, I would rank the 4-timers (in terms of college careers only) as:

1) Cael
2) Spencer
3) Dake
4) Yianni
5) Stieber
6) Smith

Had Yianni not lost to Gomez this year, I would entertain moving him to number 2 and Spencer and Dake move down one

1) Cael
2) Spencer
3) Dake
4) Yianni
5) Stieber
6) Smith

I like the ranking of 4 timers but you should include some old school 3 timers who couldn’t compete as freshmen due to NCAA rules at the time. Hodge and Uetake were both undefeated as freshmen and most likely would have won 4 if allowed to compete.
1) Cael. 5) Yianni
2) Hodge. 6) Spencer
3) Uetake. 7) Stieber
4) Dake. 8) Smith
Probably will have a few more to add to the list soon but they will be in the bottom half of the list.

• Haha
Reactions: GlenHawk
No disrespect to the old timers that helped make the sport what it is today, but I can’t rank 46-0 or 58-0 above 126-3 or something akin to it.

No disrespect to the old timers that helped make the sport what it is today, but I can’t rank 46-0 or 58-0 above 126-3 or something akin to it.
The days of wrestlers winning 150 to 160 matches in college are over. The overall trend of total matches wrestled throughout a career continues to get lower. May have to rethink your outlook because a 4 timer in the not so distant future may once again only have 80 matches or so. Personally I don’t put much stock in quality of opponent (nobody chooses their opponents unless their ducking) lol

I don't think anyone has ever asked this, so I will: can Iowa fans concede that Spencer has ever lost a match simply because he wasn't the better wrestler that day?
The Picc match specifically, I'll take Spencer's (paraphrased) word for it: "He stacked me up and took me over. Good for him". Picc was the better wrestler for those 5 minutes that day, and the official record shows it.

That said, Spencer isn't going to make excuses for his losses (those are for wusses, after all), but it's fair for the fans to defend him and the situations around where the losses came from

Reactions: 12tdsaw and Kuch96
I don't think anyone has ever asked this, so I will: can Iowa fans concede that Spencer has ever lost a match simply because he wasn't the better wrestler that day?
That day......Not a particularly meaningful question. The "better wrestler" does not always win on a given day for many reasons - sick, injured, other guy just lucky as shit, bad ref call, etc. So Carl was not the "better wrestler" the day he lost. Do you find that a meaningful conclusion? I don't think anybody that beat Spencer was a "better wrestler", even if they won that day.

I am thinking Spencer Lee may have the opportunity to climb to the top of this list.

Top 10 all-time NCAA tournament point scorers.

RANKNAMEPOINTS
1Cael Sanderson107.5
2Logan Stieber103.5
3Ed Banach102.5
4David Taylor99
5Mark Churella96.5
6Pat Smith96
7Ed Ruth94.5
8Kyle Dake93
8Alex Dieringer93
10Lincoln McIlravy90
10Jake Herbert90

https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...test-ncaa-wrestler-of-all-time-so-who-s-no-2-
Spencer has 76 tournament points. If he pins all five of his opponents on his way to a 4th title (and who would bet against it at this point) he’ll end up with 106 points. He can’t catch Cael.

BTW: this is tracked by Cali_Nittany on the PSU board at:

Last edited:
Reactions: jmadden1998
Ok guys this is kinda like talking to hard core Liberals. They have their opinions and you are not going to change them. Let them believe what they want I am done arguing over it. I have been watching this sport for over 30years and seen a lot of GREAT wrestlers. I can say without a doubt Spencer is the best I have ever seen live. He’s just that good. Break it down by teams if you want. Starfish might go down as the best psu for example but I would take Taylor over him in a heartbeat! I didn’t like Taylor mainly because what they did to Jenkins. That does not mean I don’t think he is the best to put on a psu singlet. You can have your opinion on the GOAT and I will have mine. Spencer Lee is the best wrestler I have seen live and believe someday somebody will come along and be as good or better.

Ok guys this is kinda like talking to hard core extremists on both sides of the aisle. They have their opinions and you are not going to change them. Let them believe what they want I am done arguing over it. I have been watching this sport for over 30years and seen a lot of GREAT wrestlers. I can say without a doubt Spencer is the best I have ever seen live. He’s just that good. Break it down by teams if you want. Starfish might go down as the best psu for example but I would take Taylor over him in a heartbeat! I didn’t like Taylor mainly because what they did to Jenkins. That does not mean I don’t think he is the best to put on a psu singlet. You can have your opinion on the GOAT and I will have mine. Spencer Lee is the best wrestler I have seen live and believe someday somebody will come along and be as good or better.
FIFY

Being an old guy gives me some advantage, so, speaking of the "eyeball test", I saw Gable wrestle in college, plus all of the other athletes cited in this example. No one comes as close to dominating guys as Gable did. Those double armbars were things of beauty. I will not disparage the other great wrestlers in this discussion, but Spencer's domination puts him in the top tier discussion.

OK, you are not touched in the head, you are just an ass hat troll wanna be douche!!!

"assumptions I cannot back up" huh!??!?! He didn't tear his ACL in HS??? He just faked it in your world!?!?!?

He didn't win NCAAs with no ACLs, he just had surgery on both to look tough!!?!? What in all hell are you talking about. ALL of it is very well documented. There is NO wrestler from the modern era, and maybe not a wrestler ever who could have done 1/4 of what he has done under the same circumstances.

I would even say, IF I believed you were a wrestling guy as you say, which I do not!!! Just go ask any great wrestlers you know. They will tell you that it is not even remotely imaginable to do what he has done! FACT!!!
Stop feeding the trolls you NUTJOB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT