ADVERTISEMENT

House of the Dragon

And I was actually confused, I thought there were only four dragon riders currently, so all of them save for Rhaenyra involved in the war? Feel like it would have been a clear example of disobeying the king of that were so.

No, there’s about 10-15 dragons with riders. There’s a chart online with all of the dragons and their respective sizes somewhere Online.

(Edit) Here ya go.

m0326k7vc4k91.jpg

Balerion, who was ridden by Aegon the First when he conquered Westeros and the current king for two months, is dead by the start of the show. And obviously Danny’s three little dragons haven’t been born, nor has the inbred “The Last Dragon”. But essentially all of the others will be in the show.

Last edited:
No, there’s about 10-15 dragons with riders. There’s a chart online with all of the dragons and their respective sizes somewhere Online.

(Edit) Here ya go.

m0326k7vc4k91.jpg

Thanks. I’ve read there will be 17 dragons in all, but must have misunderstood that only a handful had riders.

Horrible tactics tho - if nothing else, why not have the dragons go cave by cave and flame them out?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Thanks. I’ve read there will be 17 dragons in all, but must have misunderstood that only a handful had riders.

Horrible tactics tho - if nothing else, why not have the dragons go cave by cave and flame them out?
The number of dragon riders isn’t static. Agree on the tactics. using your main dude as bait is like in football relying on your defense to outscore your opponent and offense. It might work against the South Dakota state crab feeders, but let’s try something different for quality opponents.

He is supposed to be one of the best warriors in all of Westeros history. He’s going to literally leap off a dragon mid flight at one point in order kill another dragon and its rider once all the kinslaying starts.
So, you are saying things get less believable even in a show that features people riding dragons?

(Edit) Here ya go.

m0326k7vc4k91.jpg

Balerion, who was ridden by Aegon the First when he conquered Westeros and the current king for two months, is dead by the start of the show. And obviously Danny’s three little dragons haven’t been born, nor has the inbred “The Last Dragon”. But essentially all of the others will be in the show.
Drogon was Dany's, right? He seemed plenty big in GoT. Certainly seems bigger than the one Daemon is riding in House.

Drogon was Dany's, right? He seemed plenty big in GoT. Certainly seems bigger than the one Daemon is riding in House.

Those sizes are based on the books not the series and it says they are the size written in A Dance with Dragons ie the last book GRRM has managed to write in the Ice and Fire series. So they are growing VERY fast and may end up as big as Caraxes.

Who were the dragon riders in episode 3? I thought I saw a couple of different ones, but wasn’t sure. And whose dragons were they, Daemons? Was half asleep trying to watch it last night.

Who were the dragon riders in episode 3? I thought I saw a couple of different ones, but wasn’t sure. And whose dragons were they, Daemons? Was half asleep trying to watch it last night.
Laenor Velaryon is the one in the last scene. He rides Seasmoke. This is the guy that’s Lyonel Strong recommends Rhaenryra to marry. Laenor is the son of Corlys and Rhaenys (the queen that never was). He has a claim to be heir to the iron throne himself through his mother.

Last edited:
Laenor Velaryon is the one in the last scene. He rides Seasmoke. This is the guy that’s Harys Strong recommends Rhaenryra to marry. Laenor is the son of Corlys and Rhaenys (the queen that never was). He has a claim to be heir to the iron throne himself through his mother.
Thanks. It looked like one of the Velaryons, but it was kind of a fast scene. Will be interesting to see where next week goes after Daemon defeated the crab king, without the offered help from Viserys.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
Laenor Velaryon is the one in the last scene. He rides Seasmoke. This is the guy that’s Harys Strong recommends Rhaenryra to marry. Laenor is the son of Corlys and Rhaenys (the queen that never was). He has a claim to be heir to the iron throne himself through his mother.
Which dragon does his sister ride?

Also, is their a list of riders that correspond to the above graphic of dragons?

Also, is their a list of riders that correspond to the above graphic of dragons?
Would be a spoiler, she hasn’t taken a dragon in the series yet. I’m sure there is a chart of riders, but would be full of spoilers also. I’m trying not to spoiler anything in this thread for those that haven’t read the book.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Would be a spoiler, she hasn’t taken a dragon in the series yet. I’m sure there is a chart of riders, but would be full of spoilers also. I’m trying not to spoiler anything in this thread for those that haven’t read the book.
10-4.

Ok I take it back. No kinslaying occurs. Just Kum ba yahs and kisses. It’s going to be a really slow show about feelings.
You can say things without actually giving up a plot point about a specific character. It’s not like you can’t discuss what has already been seen. I’m a reader so I pretty much know what’s going to happen, but when people are talking about a show I’m going to stick to what was already seen and not even put guesses on upcoming stuff unless the show strays from the source material.

that’s one thing I hate about the Witcher series. I didn’t realize how much the video games were going to spoil that series with how many book there are .

Reactions: Tom Paris
You can say things without actually giving up a plot point about a specific character. It’s not like you can’t discuss what has already been seen. I’m a reader so I pretty much know what’s going to happen, but when people are talking about a show I’m going to stick to what was already seen and not even put guesses on upcoming stuff unless the show strays from the source material.

that’s one thing I hate about the Witcher series. I didn’t realize how much the video games were going to spoil that series with how many book there are .

I didn’t say who he was going to kill (at least other than “kin” which doesn’t mean much where there’s so much incest over the centuries that literally everyone is related in some way) which would be a spoiler. I also didn’t say whether he lived or died after jumping dragons (nor does the book say, it’s one of those splits where one of the narrators says he lives and leaves the continent with his new lover and another says he was smooshed so hard under the fallen dragon there was no body left to find. So it’s left ambiguous which I doubt the show will do. He’ll either live or he’ll die and I can’t spoil that because I don’t know Nor does any other book reader).

I didn’t say who he was going to kill (at least other than “kin” which doesn’t mean much where there’s so much incest over the centuries that literally everyone is related in some way) which would be a spoiler. I also didn’t say whether he lived or died after jumping dragons (nor does the book say, it’s one of those splits where one of the narrators says he lives and leaves the continent with his new lover and another says he was smooshed so hard under the fallen dragon there was no body left to find. So it’s left ambiguous which I doubt the show will do. He’ll either live or he’ll die and I can’t spoil that because I don’t know Nor does any other book reader).
You mentioned something that people are going to think is cool the first time they encounter it, it’s a spoiler.

just like it’s a spoiler if someone tells you there is a twist in a movie or any in depth detail about a character, it’s just bad form in a discussion.

I couldn’t find a list so I’ll just create my own under the spoiler tag as an exercise to remind myself who goes to what dragon. I won’t bother with listing riders over the decades of the older dragons other than noting a super famous rider from the past.

m0326k7vc4k91.jpg

I’ll list them by size.

Balerion - Largest of the dragons, he died a few years before the show House of Dragons started. He was originally flown by Aegon the First during the initial conquest of Westeros. His last rider was the current king, Viserys.

Vhaghar - A giant ancient dragon almost as big as Balerion at his peak and maybe older than Balerion when he died. In the past she was ridden by one of Aegon the First’s SisterWives. In the show she will be ridden by Laena, the 12 yo girl being shopped to be the second Queen of Viserys. But Laena dies giving birth to a dead son of Daemon. So eventually Aemond (second son of Viserys and Alicent Hightower) takes Vhaghar as his Mount. First the two kill Rhaenyra’s second son Lucerys and his dragon Arrax during a diplomatic mission which essentially kicks off the kinslaying for real. Next the two team up with Aemond’s older brother King Aegon the Second and his dragon Sunfyre to fight Rhaenys, the Queen Who Never Was, and her dragon Meleys. They successfully kill Rhaenys and Meleys but King Aegon the Second is horribly burned and forced to give up the throne to Aemond and Sunfyre is severely injured. Aemond and Vhaghar are eventually killed by Daemon and his dragon Caraxes (either all four die or only Daemon survives depending on which narrator you believe).

Meraxes - Ridden by one of Aegon the First’s SisterWives, she was killed by a scorpion bolt shot by Dornish soldiers during their failed invasion of Dorne as part of the Conquest of Westeros. So she is dead long before the new tv series starts.

The Cannibal - A wild dragon who is never tamed and survived the Dance of Dragons. It disappeared from Westeros and no one knows what happens to it.

Vermithor - Ridden by King Jaehaerys (the father of King Viserys) until the king’s death, Vermithor remains riderless until Rhaenyra‘s faction, the Blacks, decide they need additional dragons. Several men were killed trying but eventually an unrecognized Targ bastard Hugh Hammer managed to win him as a Mount. After a few battles solely against human foes, Hugh switched allegiances along with another Targ bastard dragonrider to the Greens in the midst of a battle and the Black forces were devastated. Later Hugh was caught separated from his dragon and killed on the ground while the riderless Vermithor was attacked in the air by Seasmoke and a legitimized bastard of Corlys (claimed by the gay Laenar) as well as Tessarion and Daeron. All three dragons and both riders were killed in the battle.

Sheepstealer - A wild dragon claimed by a female Targ bastard named Nettles. She was accused of being a traitor like the other bastards by Rhaenyra so she fled and hid away with her dragon (and possibly her new lover Daemon).

Silverwing - Riderless at the start of the show, a Targ bastard named Ulf White becomes her rider. After some battles against just men, he turned traitor and left the Greens. Ulf is poisoned and Silverwing becomes riderless through the end of the House of Dragons and is one of only four dragons to survive although she goes wild.

Dreamfyre - Ridden by Helaena, the second daughter of Viserys and Alicent and sisterwife to Aegon the Second. Never fights in the civil war until men storm the dragon roost and Dreamfyre is killed along with three other dragons by humans.

Caraxes - Ridden by Daemon, participates in lots of momentous battles and events but the only dragon fight is against Vhaghar and King Aegon the Second where either all perish or else Daemon is the sole survivor.

Meleys - Ridden by Rhaenys, the Queen Who Never Was, they are both killed by the combined efforts of Vhaghar, Sunfyre and their riders.

Syrax - Rhaenyra’s mount, she takes part in battles against men but never against dragons. When the population of Kings Landing rises up against the conquering Blacks, Rhaenyra is too sick to fly following a birth and her youngest son Joffrey tries to fly on Syrax to attack the rioters and save the other dragons but falls off to his death. Syrax dies riderless, killed by rioters.

Quicksilver - Died before House of the Dragons in a previous Targ Civil War by Balerion.

Gray Ghost - Wild, riderless dragon eaten by a temporarily riderless Sunfyre during House of the Dragons.

Sunfyre - Ridden by Aegon the Second, they participate in a battle with Vhaghar and Aemond where they kill Rhaenys and Meleys but Sunfyre and rider are severely injured. Sunfyre is first guarded by Green soldiers on the battlefield but eventually is healed enough to fly to King’s Landing. When the Blacks manage to take King’s Landing, Sunfyre flies off by his own. When the wild unclaimed Dragon Gray Ghost was seen being killed by another riderless dragon, most people suspect it was the wild dragon The Cannibal but Aegon the Second believes otherwise and is reunited with Sunfyre which helps heal him. During a later battle, Aegon the Second and Sunfyre fight Baela (daughter of Laena and Daemon) and the tiny dragon Moondancer. Although they win, Moondancer manages to severely injure Sunfyre again. Sunfyre eventually dies of these infected wounds months later but not before Aegon uses him to execute his half-sister and main rival Rhaenyra.

Tessarion - Ridden by Daeron, third son of Viserys and Alicent. They are killed along with all other dragons and the rider Addam in a fight with the riderless Vermithor against Seasmoke and Addam.

Seasmoke - Ridden by Addam Velaryon a bastard of Corlys legitimized by the gay Laenor, they are killed in a fight with the Riderless Vermithor as well as Tessarion and Daeron but they manage to kill their opponents as well.

Vermax - Ridden by Jacaerys, firstborn son of Rhaenyra and allegedly the gay Laenor, they are killed attacking a Green fleet.

Arrax - Ridden by Lucerys secondborn son of Rhaenyra and allegedly the gay Laenor, they are killed on a diplomatic mission by Aemond and Vhaghar.

Tyraxes - Ridden by Joffrey thirdborn son of Rhaenyra and allegedly the gay Laenor, Tyraxes is killed riderless by rioters in King’s Landing.

Morning - Ridden by Rhaena, daughter of Daemon and Laena, they survive House of Dragons without fighting.

Stormcloud - Ridden by a very young Aegon the Third, son of Rhaenyra and Daemon. Stormcloud is killed by arrows escaping with Aegon III which is their first ride. Aegon III survives.

Shrykos - A young riderless dragon who is killed by rioters along with three others in King’s Landing.

Morghul - Same as Shrykos. A young riderless dragon who is killed by rioters along with three others in King’s Landing.

Moondancer - The smallest dragon actually ridden. Her rider is a 13yo Baela, daughter of Daemon and Laena. Moondancer is killed in a battle against Aegon the Second and Sunfyre but her rider Baela survives and Sunfyre is mortally wounded as well while Aegon the Second is severely injured.

Drogon, Rhaegal, & Viserion - The three dragons of Daenerys from the Song of Ice and Fire. They are depicted in the graphic as the size they are in the last finished book. However, using a size comparison on the tv show, Drogon ended up being almost exactly half the size of Balerion which is still a huge dragon. Moreover, Balerion continued to grow throughout his life just like sharks and alligators and while the growth slowed, he grew over his entire 200+ year lifespan.

The Last Dragon - Dies young from being born twisted and mutated after House of the Dragons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacious E
I noticed that the leader of the crab Island had greyscale pretty badly. I wonder if Deamon get it?

Great 3rd episode. They are really making the king look like an epic pussy. Also, notice he lost another finger.

I noticed that the leader of the crab Island had greyscale pretty badly. I wonder if Deamon get it?

Great 3rd episode. They are really making the king look like an epic pussy. Also, notice he lost another finger.
I have not read the books, so if something is in there I do not know. But, it's interesting to watch his health deteriorate. Losing fingers, cuts that won't heal, open sores on his back, and now he's hitting the booze really hard and seems to be short of breath all the time.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Most recent episode took place in the year 109 after Aegon's conquest. The Dance of the Dragons ends in 131. Daenerys was born in the year 284. So the time gap we're talking about here is roughly now to our Civil War in length.

The closest character, aside from the others and the children of the forest, to this story from GoT would be the Three Eyed Raven, aka Brynden Rivers, who was born in the year 175. Maester Aemon would be next, born in 198.

There is a chance that Melisandre makes an appearance since her age is a mystery, obviously she is older than appears.
Ah shoot, you're right. I forgot about her. Not sure how I could. She is likely in Essos at this time though and I don't think we'll see much of anything from the other continent in this show.

He is supposed to be one of the best warriors in all of Westeros history.

What was stupid to me was not his success killing people, that's par for the course in stuff like this.

It was the tactics...they explained that the crabfeeder was winning because they had basically unbeatable tactics of retreating to the caves where they were untouchable. And yet, to fight one guy the entire army empties onto the beach to get barbecued.

Knowing they have dragons.

Knowing by that point its a setup.

I mean, even if he's the greatest fighter ever, why discard your impenetrable tactics like that? Once its obvious it's a ruse, why would you not revert to your normal positions and tactics? What's he going to do if they all retreat to their caves, go cave by cave by himself clearing them out? If he could do that, why didn't he do that on the first day?

I could get it if the idea is that they're like orcs and they just respond with rage and lizard-brained impulse to anything. But clearly they're not that, or they wouldn't have been dominating this war for three years.

I'm usually pretty willing to just go with it, I'm not one of these "Well actually a carpathian broadsword would only be carried on the right hip, never the left hip, because Xylon the Many Blessed always..." nerds. I don't really give a shit about minutiae like that. But that battle/resolution to a three year war came off as incredibly stupid to me. At the very least, you'd think they'd have come up with the idea sooner. Maybe in the books its explained to make more sense.

What was stupid to me was not his success killing people, that's par for the course in stuff like this.

It was the tactics...they explained that the crabfeeder was winning because they had basically unbeatable tactics of retreating to the caves where they were untouchable. And yet, to fight one guy the entire army empties onto the beach to get barbecued.

Knowing they have dragons.

Knowing by that point its a setup.

I mean, even if he's the greatest fighter ever, why discard your impenetrable tactics like that? Once its obvious it's a ruse, why would you not revert to your normal positions and tactics? What's he going to do if they all retreat to their caves, go cave by cave by himself clearing them out? If he could do that, why didn't he do that on the first day?

I could get it if the idea is that they're like orcs and they just respond with rage and lizard-brained impulse to anything. But clearly they're not that, or they wouldn't have been dominating this war for three years.

I'm usually pretty willing to just go with it, I'm not one of these "Well actually a carpathian broadsword would only be carried on the right hip, never the left hip, because Xylon the Many Blessed always..." nerds. I don't really give a shit about minutiae like that. But that battle/resolution to a three year war came off as incredibly stupid to me. At the very least, you'd think they'd have come up with the idea sooner. Maybe in the books its explained to make more sense.
The answer to this is probably that George R. R. Martin got an A for creative writing, but did not go to West Point.

Dragons on the ground are far more vulnerable to enemy fire so they are probably afraid they will get cornered and brought down if they spend too much time on the ground. But doing that isn't impossible. Plus, if the caves go deep enough then the dragons wouldn't be able to reach the whole cave.

The answer to this is probably that George R. R. Martin got an A for creative writing, but did not go to West Point.
The Battle in the Stepstones was only a couple sentences long in the book. The narrator in the book doesn't give any details on the battle only that Daemon won and slew the Crabfeeder in single battle. The tactics were purely a show invention. George would never write a scenario like that without thinking it through.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoopandBoogers
The Battle in the Stepstones was only a couple sentences long in the book. The narrator in the book doesn't give any details on the battle only that Daemon won and slew the Crabfeeder in single battle. The tactics were purely a show invention. George would never write a scenario like that without thinking it through.
I can't see real good. Is that Bill Shakespeare over there or Bonerfarts?*

tumblr_mhm281nwVF1ra53djo1_400.gif

*edited to note I am sure you are right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT