ADVERTISEMENT

House of the Dragon

What the showrunners forgot during GoT was that the battle sequences were neat, but only needed to be used sparingly. The political intrigue and character conversations are far better. Tonight is a grand example. Great episode that was actually brought down a bit by the battle at the end being unbelievable.
Did you think Prince Daemon carried that episode and his acting really shown through? I did. Then realize he did not utter one line the entire episode. Without saying a word he conveyed his rage at being bailed out by his brother and his resolve to win that war on his own, and he did. That was some great acting.

I can't see real good. Is that Bill Shakespeare over there or Bonerfarts?*

tumblr_mhm281nwVF1ra53djo1_400.gif

*edited to note I am sure you are right.
"It is not our purpose here to recount the details of the private war Daemon Targaryen and Corlys Velaryon waged in the Stepstones. Suffice it to say that the fighting began in 106 AC. Prince Daemon had little difficulty assembling an army of landless adventurers and second sons, and won many victories during the first two years of the conflict. In 108 AC, when at last he came face-to-face with Craghas Crabfeeder, he slew him single-handed and cut off his head with Dark Sister. "

What's been amazing about the show is that they have taken a few sentences from the book and made them into whole epic episodes of the show.

Last edited:
"It is not our purpose here to recount the details of the private war Daemon Targaryen and Corlys Velaryon waged in the Stepstones. Suffice it to say that the fighting began in 106 AC. Prince Daemon had little difficulty assembling an army of landless adventurers and second sons, and won many victories during the first two years of the conflict. In 108 AC, when at last he came face-to-face with Craghas Crabfeeder, he slew him single-handed and cut off his head with Dark Sister. "

What's been amazing about the show is that they have taken a few sentences from the book and made them into whole epic episodes of the show.
So according to that the show did take some dramatic license. Never does it say that Daemon was losing the war or needed to be bailed out. It actually says he had no problems assembling an army/navy, won many battles, and then won the war.

So according to that the show did take some dramatic license. Never does it say that Daemon was losing the war or needed to be bailed out. It actually says he had no problems assembling an army/navy, won many battles, and then won the war.
Yes correct. The Crabfeeder also was just a regular guy without Greyscale.
300px-Craghas_Drahar_by_Amuelia.png

He didn't crucify people and have crabs eat them while alive. He just killed a lot of people on beaches and drowned some so the crabs would eat the carcasses, hence the nickname. The majority of the stuff they add I really like. The whole boar killing/white hart was a creation as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
Daemon took 3 arrows. Did Jon Snow ever get a scratch when he stared down a stampeding cavalry on his own?
I mean, he was stabbed to death albeit not on the battlefield, and came through okay. But specifically to your point, not that I recall. Would you be satisfied if revise my post to: "No more audacious without fatal consequence than Jon snow’s exploits on the battlefield."

I mean, he was stabbed to death albeit not on the battlefield, and came through okay. But specifically to your point, not that I recall. Would you be satisfied if revise my post to: "No more audacious without fatal consequence than Jon snow’s exploits on the battlefield."
Nah, we're good.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Did you think Prince Daemon carried that episode and his acting really shown through? I did. Then realize he did not utter one line the entire episode. Without saying a word he conveyed his rage at being bailed out by his brother and his resolve to win that war on his own, and he did. That was some great acting.
Somebody should have suggested using the dragons to burn the pirates’ boats.
They didn’t have monitors or dreadnaughts. They had boats made out of fuel.

Where is Billy Mitchell when you need him?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Pretty lame that Rhaenyra didn't show her boobies last night. The actress is 22, and the character is of age. Besides the fact that I like to see boobies, they went to a lot of effort to show depravity last night, but bent over backwards like an Old Town whore to not show nudity.

I found that whole scene in episode 4 hard to watch.
Yes I know Targaryens incest, I don’t want to see it “portrayed”.
Now step mom pron is another thing.

Is there a reason why they are realllllllly fuggin rushing this? Episode 2 to Episode 3 went 2 years ahead. After tomorrows episode, Milly Alcock will no longer be playing Rynearya, instead another actress will be playing her since they get to her being older. wtf. This is getting stupid. Episode 4, from episode 1 to episode 4 went to 3 years.

Is there a reason why they are realllllllly fuggin rushing this? Episode 2 to Episode 3 went 2 years ahead. After tomorrows episode, Milly Alcock will no longer be playing Rynearya, instead another actress will be playing her since they get to her being older. wtf. This is getting stupid. Episode 4, from episode 1 to episode 4 went to 3 years.
First half of the season was laying the foundation for the story. The shit doesn’t hit the fan until after the significant time jump when the king eventually dies.

Reactions: Tom Paris
First half of the season was laying the foundation for the story. The shit doesn’t hit the fan until after the significant time jump when the king eventually dies.
Yep they are just setting the table and getting everyone familiar with the players and the situation in play. GoT felt like it dragged at points… pacing here is faster and more focused which I appreciate. And one last thing… don’t get attached to characters because you are setting yourself up for failure.

Yeah, the main story involves the next generation of Targaryons. We saw Aegon and Haelana, there will be more. Once the final time jump happens, I don’t think there will another one.

I think this aspect of the show is what gives it's it's strength and potential to continue to improve compared to the GoT trajectory.

The HoD people only have signposts and loose character outlines to follow with the freedom to fill the gaps. On the other hand, the GoT writers had award winning source material they had to stay loyal to that didn't even get them to the finish line.

It's frustrating for me too, but I think that they want to get to 'main' events, and not to make series too long. I've not read the book, but I know that the most interesting and intense part will be when Aegon is grown up, not a todler.

Reactions: TheonGreyJoy
It's frustrating for me too, but I think that they want to get to 'main' events, and not to make series too long. I've not read the book, but I know that the most interesting and intense part will be when Aegon is grown up, not a todler.
They are adapting the books pretty faithfully, it's just the nature of the beast with this story. The difference with GOT was that there are 344 chapters (5600 pages) that they created 8 seasons of TV. Roughly 1 book would be 1 season, until they went off the rails at the end. There are only 7 chapters (261 pages) in Fire and Blood of this entire story for House of the Dragon . Fire and Blood is written as a history so we typically don't see the day to day. the show creators are coloring in the edges. It is much better to have this pace then the show runners trying to create filler IMO.

Last edited:
They are adapting the books pretty faithfully, it's just the nature of the beast with this story. The difference with GOT was that there are 344 chapters (5600 pages) that they created 8 seasons of TV. Roughly 1 book would be 1 season, until they went off the rails at the end. There are only 7 chapters (261 pages) in Fire and Blood of this entire story for House of the Dragon . Fire and Blood is written as a history so we typically don't see the day to day. the show creators are coloring in the edges. It is much better to have this pace then the show runners trying to create filler IMO.
Oh, I see it now, thanks!

This was helpful to me:

Here's a little more:

Driftmark was settled by House Velaryon prior to the arrival of House Targaryen at Dragonstone.[3] Ships from Driftmark allowed the Velaryons to control the middle of the narrow sea prior to Aegon's Conquest.[6]

Shortly after the death of her husband, King Aenys I Targaryen, Queen Alyssa Velaryon brought her children to Castle Driftmark.[7] When King Maegor I Targaryen lay comatose after a trial of seven, Alyssa proclaimed on Driftmark that her son, Prince Aegon Targaryen, was the true king.[7] After the Poor Fellows were defeated by Maegor at the Great Fork of the Blackwater, Alyssa and her Velaryon kin left Driftmark and submitted to Maegor in King's Landing.[7]

Many merchants traded at Driftmark instead of King's Landing to avoid the taxes of Lord Edwell Celtigar, the master of coin for King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.[5] When Ser Lucamore Strong was disgraced from the Kingsguard, his second wife and her children were sent to Driftmark to be fostered with Lord Daemon Velaryon.[8]

Because the ancestral castle Driftmark was damp and cramped, Lord Corlys Velaryon constructed a new castle on the opposite side of the island to house the Driftwood Throne: High Tide, so-called because it was built on a tidal island only linked to Driftmark at low tide. As the island prospered from Lord Corlys's wealth, two large port towns grew on up the coasts of Driftmark: Hull beneath Castle Driftmark and Spicetown beneath High Tide.[9] When King Viserys I Targaryen brought his court to Driftmark for the funeral of Ser Laenor Velaryon in 120 AC, the number of dragons gathered on the island led Septon Eustace to call it the new Valyria.[3]

The dragon Sheepstealer was known for grabbing sheep from flocks in Blackwater Bay from Driftmark to as far as the Wendwater.[10]

During the Dance of the Dragons, Lord Corlys, the Sea Snake, launched black ships from Hull and Spicetown to block access to Blackwater Bay. High Tide and Spicetown were burned in the Battle in the Gullet, the latter so severely it was not rebuilt.[10] Hugh Hammer and Ulf White were given small lands on Driftmark after the fall of King's Landing, but the two new knights felt they deserved greater rewards.[11] Driftmark became hostile to Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen after she imprisoned Corlys.[12] Since Lord Corlys had not yet reconciled with the Queen Dowager Alicent Hightower on behalf of her son, King Aegon II Targaryen, Alyn Velaryon prepared his fleets at Driftmark to attack Aegon on Dragonstone. Conflict was avoided when Corlys was pardoned by Alicent.[13]

Lord Corlys served as a regent for King Aegon III Targaryen. After his death in the Red Keep, Corlys's body was first sailed to Driftmark by Marilda of Hull and Lord Alyn aboard Mermaid's Kiss, then buried at sea near Dragonstone aboard Sea Snake. Daemion and Daeron Velaryon reconciled with Lord Alyn in return for lands on Driftmark.[14] Lady Baela Targaryen lived on Driftmark after wedding Alyn.[15] After learning that Alyn Oakenfist was sailing to the Sunset Sea to end ironborn raiding, Dalton Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands, desired to slay Alyn and then conquer Driftmark for himself. Dalton was slain by Tess at Faircastle, however.[16]

I have a question: why was the son of the new Hand (the young guy with the cane) so eager to tell Alicent that the princess had banged?
I also didn’t get why he was scheming. Trying to understand the advantage there.

I have a question: why was the son of the new Hand (the young guy with the cane) so eager to tell Alicent that the princess had banged?
Haven’t read the books but if rhynerea is out of the picture his dad will be hand of the king maybe for Aegon after the king dies?

Boy, did that guy fill out some creepy tropes, or what? It might be why I like him so much.

I know some of you obsessive types could tell me, but I found it odd that Alicent intervened when Ser Criston was going to commit suicide. I assume they are going to come up with some convoluted reason as to why he turned Eleanor's boyfriend into a Swiss steak, and then she leverages him somehow.

Another random thought, but why did Daemon keep saying his wife was some homely gal? She was bangable. Does it only get hard for kin and whores with him?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT