ADVERTISEMENT

How awesome was Andre Dawson

I believe I saw during the height of covid that he now owns and operates a funeral home

For those in Des Moines, he is the speaker this year at the John Stoddard rally for cancer fundraiser. Consider attending if you are local.

Didn’t know Show was a drug addict and died of an apparent overdose in a treatment facility.

Show was a highly intelligent and talented, though deeply troubled man. He had a rough upbringing and never really came to terms with it. He probably would have been better off in a different career than baseball. It seems like he only stuck with it because he had major league ability and it was lucrative. Who knows how much he even wanted to be a part of the game though?

Love those old clips and the old time baseball players in them. There are some dudes in those clips I haven't thought about in years.
I saw Dawson playing CF for the Expos one night in Olympic Stadium. I'm sure I've posted this before. The place was a dirty, dark dump. Terrible for baseball, but he brought the crowd to their feet with a running grab in the right-center gap. That turf probably took years off of his career.

Actually have somewhat of a csb. Tbw and I went to the MLB All Star game at Coors Field in '98. My uncle was one of the three majority owners of the Rockies at the time. We had sweet seats pretty close behind the first base dugout at the end of a row. We were in our seats before game time and this dude and his son needed to get to their seats in our row. We stood up to let them by and it was "The Hawk" and his boy, and he sat right next to my wife. Of course my wife had no idea who he was, so I had to whisper in her ear who she was sitting next to. Yes, we did get a pic with him, but NO, I'm not gonna post it. I'll kindly gfm now.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
I used to attend cubs spring training as a kid in the late 80's and 90's. Andre Dawson, Mark Grace, Shawn Dunston, Sammy Sosa, etc were all really nice to the fans. Would sign any autographs people wanted. Ryne Sandberg on the other hand didn't care for all the fan attention he got. I was only able to get his autograph once in all the years I attended.

I am a huge Cub fan, but damn, this uniform (on Dawson) is awesome! :)

FlvsE0uXEAAJdwp

• Sad
Reactions: IACub and cfbfan23
Actually have somewhat of a csb. Tbw and I went to the MLB All Star game at Coors Field in '98. My uncle was one of the three majority owners of the Rockies at the time. We had sweet seats pretty close behind the first base dugout at the end of a row. We were in our seats before game time and this dude and his son needed to get to their seats in our row. We stood up to let them by and it was "The Hawk" and his boy, and he sat right next to my wife. Of course my wife had no idea who he was, so I had to whisper in her ear who she was sitting next to. Yes, we did get a pic with him, but NO, I'm not gonna post it. I'll kindly gfm now.
GFY

Reactions: yescyam
The Hawk would have f'ed up Show (and just about anyone else in baseball) ”
Kenny “the Hawk” Harrelson? HE WAS THE HAWK! Make no mistake about it.
Kenny had his street shoes personalized with his moniker...”The Hawk” back when that was really unique!

I did follow Dawson for a couple of years when he played real baseball, in the AL for the Red Sox. (those were the years that got him into The HOF) ;)

Seriously, he was a helluva ball player....even in the NL. I wish I was in town in a couple of weeks to see him at the Stoddard conflab.

Kenny “the Hawk” Harrelson? HE WAS THE HAWK! Make no mistake about it.
Kenny had his street shoes personalized with his moniker...”The Hawk” back when that was really unique!

I did follow Dawson for a couple of years when he played real baseball, in the AL for the Red Sox. (those were the years that got him into The HOF) ;)

Seriously, he was a helluva ball player....even in the NL. I wish I was in town in a couple of weeks to see him at the Stoddard conflab.

• Wow
Reactions: IACub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT