ADVERTISEMENT

How is the economy right now?

For those of us with 3% mortgages on our dream home, it’s good. For people hoping to get a starter home, or a bigger house for their family, the mortgage rate combined with high house prices overshadows everything.

But,honestly, adjusted for inflation the price of a gallon a gas has been stable for decades.
Yep, compare it to any other commodity. It has been amazingly stable over the years.
The big issue with carbon extraction, however, is the fact that you and me are gonna be on the hook to clean up the noxious mess left behind by the drill baby drill crowd.
Literally, untold numbers of wells are abandoned and leaking while the “owners“ walk away.

Yep, compare it to any other commodity. It has been amazingly stable over the years.
The big issue with carbon extraction, however, is the fact that you and me are gonna be on the hook to clean up the noxious mess left behind by the drill baby drill crowd.
Literally, untold numbers of wells are abandoned and leaking while the “owners“ walk away.

I’m old - my kids are the ones holding the bucket.

Economy feels like a glass house. Everything is still very expensive in comparison to what it was in 2019, but the markets seem confident and my retirement accounts are nearly back to where they were when Trump left office (which I'll take as a win compared to where they were 2 years ago), and on paper all of my real estate holdings are way up...but wages also haven't kept pace with inflation...

Some good, some not so good, but the reality is day to day costs are still very high in comparison to cash in for most.

I think you could make a pretty good argument no matter what you want the outcome to be.

But,honestly, adjusted for inflation the price of a gallon a gas has been stable for decades. Since 1950 the average price of gas in 2023 dollars has been around $3. It’s gone down significantly since 2012.

I remember gas was 98 cents a gallon in 1999.

Labor shortage is a growing issue. People working jobs they arent qualified for.

Things look good overall. The M1 money supply and velocity is worth looking at. Obviously it is Jumpstarted but still low. Creating money artificially is a risk. Influxing cash into the system has worked but look at rising costs and housing being bipolar.

No one wants to talk about it be we are seeing demographics get the best of us. Due family tax policy, Roe, and so on our population pyramid is really like a cylinder. 100 plus potential Americans missing. We want to curb immigration but yet jobs go unfilled.

We've learned to keep giving Free money to keep things going. What could go wrong?

Look at ag. We are keeping at least 1 third of farmers going by subsidies. Farmers are really skewed by inefficiently using machinery. Farmers are loaded with cash and the primary buyers of land but cash rent falling behind. Lesson there for general economy.

For those of us with 3% mortgages on our dream home, it’s good. For people hoping to get a starter home, or a bigger house for their family, the mortgage rate combined with high house prices overshadows everything.
Comparing current mortgage rates to record lows isn't fair. They are close now to historical averages. Yes, the price of housing is up. Especially here in Florida. But there are two in that transaction. Sellers are thrilled.

This is the most resilient economy ever. Facing capital issues banks stopped lending last year, additionally consumer portfolios from 21&22 have historic charge-off rates. Companies have cut expenses, rates will come down the back half of the year could be huge growth (think the market is pricing that in). Global war and domestic politics are risk factors

Reactions: HawkMD and MitchLL
I’m old - my kids are the ones holding the bucket.
Interest rates were over 6 percent and the housing market was rising fast when I bought my first house 20 years ago. The mortgage rates are within norms. Prices have stabilized a bit too. Interesting when you think about it with the prices stabilized even down over last 18 months but inflation causing wages to go up last three years there is a bit more balance as you adjust for inflation.

Last edited:
Nobody knows what the future holds but two things:

1) the recession people have been claiming is any day now for three years never materialized. Eventually we will have one, as part of the normal course of economic cycles but I would argue the four years of March 2020 Covid word through late 2023 was a unique economy that was cool and served as a quasi recession due to relieving pressure over four years. It seems the world is pulling out of it, the labor and supply pool is better and pent up demand is helping. I am hopeful the last 5-6 years of this decade will be good.

B) I think we got inflation under control and expect the FED to be in no rush to lower rates just to be sure. They did a good job with this compared to how we handled it in the 70s. It is a tough thing to do for an administration because you are literally cooling the economy with the much higher cost of borrowing money.

Economy feels like a glass house. Everything is still very expensive in comparison to what it was in 2019, but the markets seem confident and my retirement accounts are nearly back to where they were when Trump left office (which I'll take as a win compared to where they were 2 years ago), and on paper all of my real estate holdings are way up...but wages also haven't kept pace with inflation...

Some good, some not so good, but the reality is day to day costs are still very high in comparison to cash in for most.

I think you could make a pretty good argument no matter what you want the outcome to be.
Waitwut? Your retirement account is just now getting back to where it was at the end of 2019? Are your primary holdings gooseberries?

You seriously need a different financial advisor if you're not well above the Trump regime.

Waitwut? Your retirement account is just now getting back to where it was at the end of 2019? Are your primary holdings gooseberries?
Perhaps he's heavily weighted in small caps? If you knew anything about the financial markets--which you don't and neither do the assorted other posers here--you would know that small caps and micro caps are nowhere near their all time highs > https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/.RUT These types of companies do not grow in a restrictive environment such as the one the biden regime has installed. Further, this has historically been a bad sign for the entire market long term. See you in the bread line in some Bidenville, smart guy!!

I'm just going by what I see out there in the business retail world where I own a courier company and do deliveries

it's fairly bad out there right now , on the retail side of things
It is crazy that this isn’t talked about more.

I work for a large, Fortune 500, firm in the transportation industry. In the last year and a half we’ve had multiple layoffs. Volumes are significantly down. And we just announced no raises for the entire company not that long ago. Demand for moving goods is really down. Which means demand for purchasing goods must also correlate to being down. This is hitting every firm in the industry. Large trucking companies like Yellow are going out of business because of it. UPS just did a massive layoff and is talking about divesting their brokerage business.

I keep hearing that the economy is great, but that sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors to me. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I’d say there’s some coverup going on between the media and the government. Unemployment is low, but underemployment isn’t. And labor participation still isn’t where it was pre-pandemic, although getting closer. Inflation is still high, just not as high. Interest rates are high. Yet all of that is supposed to make for a great economy for the common American? The stock market is up, but that isn’t the economy and doesn’t put food on people’s tables.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT