ADVERTISEMENT

How much of the OL struggles are on the OC and Iowa’s offensive schemes?

BlackNGoldBleeder

HR Legend
Jun 23, 2017
The OL has been much-maligned for several years now, which I believe goes back to Nate Stanley’s tenure. Yes, there is youth on the current OL. Yes, Logan Jones looked like a fish out of water yesterday. But are all the struggles of the OL about incompetence, or is it fair to say some of the issues are due to Iowa’s archaic schemes?

I am not an OL expert (and am genuinely asking), but this is what I see nearly every Saturday:

1. Defenses loading the box to stop the run.

2. Defenses playing downhill and flying to the football.

3. Defenses showing zero fear of a vertical passing threat.

4. Defenses seeming to predict where plays are going before the ball is even snapped.

If all the above are true, and you have 8-9 defenders loading the box nearly every play while pinning their ears back and flying to the football because there is next to no creativity or imagination to the Iowa offense, then how much blame/criticism is really warranted of the OL? Again, I’m genuinely asking.

Okay, that’s off my chest. I’m ready to move on from another embarrassing and disappointing effort by the Hawks on the offensive side of the ball. 🤦‍♂️😕

The OL has been much-maligned for several years now, which I believe goes back to Nate Stanley’s tenure. Yes, there is youth on the current OL. Yes, Logan Jones looked like a fish out of water yesterday. But are all the struggles of the OL about incompetence, or is it fair to say some of the issues are due to Iowa’s archaic schemes?

I am not an OL expert (and am genuinely asking), but this is what I see nearly every Saturday:

4. Defenses seeming to predict where plays are going before the ball is even snapped.

If all the above are true, and you have 8-9 defenders loading the box nearly every play while pinning their ears back and flying to the football because there is next to no creativity or imagination to the Iowa offense, then how much blame/criticism is really warranted of the OL? Again, I’m genuinely asking.

Okay, that’s off my chest. I’m ready to move on from another embarrassing and disappointing effort by the Hawks on the offensive side of the ball. 🤦‍♂️😕
Well I watched a play Beau Stephens literally never touched his guy and his guy just blew up a 3rd down play. So lots of crap like that.

• Sad
Reactions: pink shizzle
Well I watched a play Beau Stephens literally never touched his guy and his guy just blew up a 3rd down play. So lots of crap like that.
I get it. I’m not suggesting the OL shoulders none of the blame. But the confusion and blown assignments date back to the Nate Stanley era. A lot of those years, the run blocking was okay but pass protection was abysmal. Today, neither run nor pass blocking is acceptable. The question is obviously, why?

The O-line isn't good. In this one game sample they appeared worse than last year.
But how much of the o-line flaws are compounded by having an immobile qb with poor pocket presence who has shown no ability to extend plays when things break down and who frequently misses open throws even with time?
An improved o-line is desperately needed. That isn't happening anytime soon apparently. In the absence of a top 10 o-line behind whom any qb would look good it might make sense to put in a qb who can run/extend plays with his feet.

Thanks, man. I need it. I’ve loved Hawkeye football since I was a little kid (I’m 41 now). This sucks. 😞 Lol
I feel your pain, I’m trying to remain optimistic but am finding it very hard to find any positive in the O other than Bruce having a decent game. I knew the D and special teams would have to carry most of the load until the oline started to gel, but I was really hoping Spence could improve at least a little, obviously that didn’t happen.

It really is remarkable, and painful to watch how this has evolved. We HAVE to challenge the defense at other levels of the field in order to open up the run game, and get the entire defense out of playing up on the line of scrimmage. NO one get block run plays like that. It also makes it really hard to throw anything quick. If we try to run longer routes we can't block well enough to give the QB time, and he can't make the first guy miss, and seems to step right into whichever guy gets loose first.

I'd say your 4 points are spot on. The OL has a much more difficult time dealing with more guys at the point of attack...no matter how good you are you can't control more defenders than blockers. Iowa makes no attempts to keep safetys honest with downfield throws....and the horizontal throws are not posing much of a threat either. So defenses are zoned right at the center of Iowa...and you cannot expect to run the ball with great success with that happening.

So why is does a 3-year starter look like he's starting his first game every time out? Why does he fail to set his feet with confidence on throws? Why does he stare down receivers...seemly never going through any progressions? Why does Kirk refuse to allow any other QB a chance in games to change all of the above narrative?.....it's the old saying of doing the same thing and expecting different results (Insanity).

Kirby Smart after his team crushed Oregon - "I want kids to see our offense and say that looks fun. I want to play in that offense."

I'm not sure how we recruit offensive skill positions because no way kids see that as fun.

Reactions: unclesammy
Development is probably the biggest area in my opinion. Outside of 2020 they really haven't had a "complete" line and shockingly 2020 was the only year they had dominant running game even with a new and very shaky QB.

Yes, the play calling has been poor and the QB play has been worse than that the last couple of years. But they struggled Nate's last two years, and for all his flaws he was a drafted QB that had NFL level pass catchers. So I don't think it's mainly on the scheme (or lack thereof).

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT