ADVERTISEMENT

How would you handle this situation?

jellyfish10

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2009
I’ve been going to the same gym for almost 30 year, minus a break here and there. Said gym has a co-ed sauna that seats 7ish if it’s full. Well, Mean Gene has been going for much of my tenure. 75 years old, Vietnam vet, and an angry prick of a human.

He has been kicked out before for making racial, sexist statements. Lately, his behavior has become more demonstrative.

Today I’m sitting in there with a few people and Gene. Three younger guys walk in and Gene starts losing his shit about the door being open. I told Gene to chill the fvck out, but the younger dudes weren’t having it. One them told him to shut the fvck up, and fvck around and find out. He did shut up, but just stared at me like he was ready to roll.

I went to report him but no management works weekend afternoons. This is not an isolated incident. He has become more brazen in his words/actions and strikes me as someone that wouldn’t think twice about shooting the place up. He has apparently threatened violence before.

Is reporting him enough? Do I let him get the shit kicked out of him next time? Or do I just bang his daughter and get it over with.

Too many variables. Need a pic of the 3 younger guys.
All 3 are put together. I wouldn’t call any of the three super handsome although, one of the other dudes involved, maybe 30ish, is ripped and very handsome. I have no pics.

Reactions: NoleATL
Look at it this way. Reporting it, I presume anyway, gets it on the gym's record in some fashion. I realize that mgmt wasn't there at that time - but if you had decided to, get the names of the other younglings to collaborate your report. Hopefully they have a process for this even when they're not actually in the gym.

The more of these reports total up, the more likely his ass gets kicked out for good.

As always though, your call.

All 3 are put together. I wouldn’t call any of the three super handsome although, one of the other dudes involved, maybe 30ish, is ripped and very handsome. I have no pics.
Good enough. I would again tell management, maybe add you feel he is a time bomb waiting to go off. Then there is nothing else you can do unless a specific situation happens where you can physically intervene.

Look at it this way. Reporting it, I presume anyway, gets it on the gym's record in some fashion. I realize that mgmt wasn't there at that time - but if you had decided to, get the names of the other younglings to collaborate your report.

The more of these reports total up, the more likely his ass gets kicked out for good.

As always though, your call.
Yes I did that. I talked to 1 of the younger kids, the main one involved, the handsome fella, and one of the regulars that has had to protect a special needs woman from Gene.

Reactions: bagdropper
Steer clear of Gene and don't go to the Y while he's there if his personality bothers you. If you report him, odds are he'll know it was you and you're immediately at the top of his kill list.

Reactions: goldmom
He started chewing them out for no reason other than he doesn’t understand the concept of a community sauna. People are free to come and go as they please but that doesn’t sit well with Gene.
I’d usually just ignore the grumpy old geriatric dude….

Reactions: Moral
gene-okerlund-andre-the-giant-hand.gif

There is only one option that will make everyone happy: Purchase the gym

First, purchase the gym, required to start step two.
Second, begin a small remodel project
Third, have your attorney develop a policy and procedures manual that includes code of conduct rules for membership.

End result
The remodel will improve the facilities, maybe include a nice pilates studio, which is a proven revenue generator with the added bonus of improved scenery. In addition, create a sauna area with small iso saunas.

The iso saunas will allow you to honor a cranky old Vietnam Vet giving him his privacy and complete control of his sauna door. Added bonus, you and your fellow gym friends no longer have to worry about an unwanted spectator, when you guys are "taking a sauna"

Best of luck with the remodel!!

Last edited:
There is only one option that will make everyone happy: Purchase the gym

First, purchase the gym, required to start step two.
Second, begin a small remodel project
Third, have your attorney develop a policy and procedures manual that includes code of conduct rules for membership.

End result
The remodel will improve the facilities, maybe include a nice pilates studio, which is a proven revenue generator with the added bonus of improved scenery. In addition, create a sauna area with small iso saunas.

The iso saunas will allow you to honor a cranky old Vietnam Vet giving him his privacy and complete control of his sauna door. Added bonus, you and your fellow gym friends no longer have to worry about an unwanted spectator, when you guys are "taking a sauna"

Best of luck with the remodel!!
If you wanna Venmo me, let’s say 5 million, I’ll get the ball rolling. TIA!

Reactions: NoleinATL
I’ve been going to the same gym for almost 30 year, minus a break here and there. Said gym has a co-ed sauna that seats 7ish if it’s full. Well, Mean Gene has been going for much of my tenure. 75 years old, Vietnam vet, and an angry prick of a human.

He has been kicked out before for making racial, sexist statements. Lately, his behavior has become more demonstrative.

Today I’m sitting in there with a few people and Gene. Three younger guys walk in and Gene starts losing his shit about the door being open. I told Gene to chill the fvck out, but the younger dudes weren’t having it. One them told him to shut the fvck up, and fvck around and find out. He did shut up, but just stared at me like he was ready to roll.

I went to report him but no management works weekend afternoons. This is not an isolated incident. He has become more brazen in his words/actions and strikes me as someone that wouldn’t think twice about shooting the place up. He has apparently threatened violence before.

Is reporting him enough? Do I let him get the shit kicked out of him next time? Or do I just bang his daughter and get it over with.
PTSD angry prick, or just does it come natural to him?

I would probably just exit Sauna when Gene enters.
NFW. Everyone of age has the right to be in there without fear. I’m not gonna let that crotchety old fvck impact my freedom.

Btw, I just talked to a buddy of mine that knows a little bit about Gene. He told me that Gene is 100% armed and would be worried about him shooting the place up. His sentiment is not the first time I have heard that.

NFW. Everyone of age has the right to be in there without fear. I’m not gonna let that crotchety old fvck impact my freedom.

Btw, I just talked to a buddy of mine that knows a little bit about Gene. He told me that Gene is 100% armed and would be worried about him shooting the place up. His sentiment is not the first time I have heard that.

I agree you have the right and freedom, You have also expressed several times that you feel Gene is unstable and possibly dangerous, Risk vs reward seems to factor into the equation.

Clearly if he is sauna, he is not packing at that time. Let him assault someone and get perma-banned. If I was one of those young dudes I would have told him off as well.

I would just find another place to workout. That way when his lid blows you’re sure to be out of the line of fire.

Clearly if he is sauna, he is not packing at that time. Let him assault someone and get perma-banned. If I was one of those young dudes I would have told him off as well.
Not in the sauna, no. But said friend believes Gene keeps a firearm(s). He’s hard to explain unless you have been around him. He seems like the type that would shower, walk out to his truck, a light up whoever he felt like without a care in the world.

Well I didn’t know him before he went to Nam since, ya know, I’m not 75.
Just saying, PTSD manifests itself in a lot of ways. I don't excuse behavior, but if he's a combat vet, and the responses seem irrational there might be a root cause that you and management should be sensitive to. And, again, that doesn't mean you just shrug it off.

Reactions: jellyfish10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT