ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t get this “Way too early team predictions”

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
The top 25 has nothing to the team predictions. The top 25 is who you think may be the 25 teams based on a number of different factors such as past performance and who is returning on a team. Everyone weights those factors differently. It is not predicting how the season will play out.

Reactions: ANYCHawk
a 1 point win over ISU at home doesn't exactly scream 10-2

They were way better last year and I can't imagine it won't carry over this year. Have to give them credit. Its going to be a huge game at Kinnick.

For all who always said the game is lose-lose, myself included, it is looking less like that this season. UNI on the other hand...

Reactions: RogerKint
a 1 point win over ISU at home doesn't exactly scream 10-2
then the dude has us beating MD 31-3
clearly he is clueless lol

They were way better last year and I can't imagine it won't carry over this year. Have to give them credit. Its going to be a huge game at Kinnick.

For all who always said the game is lose-lose, myself included, it is looking less like that this season. UNI on the other hand...
Can ISU rebound from losing their best player on each side of the ball?
I'm not so convinced they can......

The guy has ISU going 9-3. Losing only to OU, WV and UI. Going to be a tough game in Iowa City.
Isn't the same true for Iowa? Maybe your two best defensive players and Wadley on offense. I'm interested to see the response should Iowa lose. Do you still not care or "get up for the game?" That will be a tough sell when you are playing an ISU game that is suppose to be good.

Isn't the same true for Iowa? Maybe your two best defensive players and Wadley on offense. I'm interested to see the response should Iowa lose. Do you still not care or "get up for the game?" That will be a tough sell when you are playing an ISU game that is suppose to be good.
I'd agree that looking at the loss of particular individuals is a misleading thing to focus upon. The more relevant thing to look at are relative roster "weak points."

Iowa's most obvious roster weak-points are at LB, where it is replacing 3 multi-year starters AND at punter (where the returning starter at P had a very rocky '17 season).

Where are ISU's "weak-spots" on the roster? The only more obvious one would probably be at safety - where 3 of the top guys graduated. Another "transition" is that the Cyclone WR unit is seemingly transitioning from being a huge team strength ... to possibly being just a solid unit. Butler is obviously an impressive guy - largely because he's a tough match-up due to his height (combined with decent speed). However, last year, the Cyclones had 3 other really experienced guys in Lazard, Ryen (I don't care that he was a former walk-on), and Murdock. You combine them with Butler ... and you have a deep and talented unit that can apply a lot of pressure to an opposing secondary.

Of course, if memory serves, didn't ISU have to replace their offensive coordinator? What's more ... wasn't that guy also the OL-coach who many touted as being a bit of an OL guru? Given that Manning had been a long-time assistant under Campbell ... he could potentially be a harder piece of the puzzle to replace.

Has IOWA going 10-2 (but not ranked in the way too early Top 25 BUT has WISCONSIN going 11-1 stubbling against PSU while IOWA is supposed to lose to both Wisconsin and Penn State? I don’t get this guy who’s writing these articles here .. ?

Wisconsin 11-1? Ranked 6th
https://saturdayblitz.com/2018/01/22/wisconsin-football-early-game-predictions-2018/

Iowa 10-2? But not ranked?

https://saturdayblitz.com/2018/01/26/iowa-football-way-too-early-game-by-game-predictions-for-2018/

While Wisconsin should be really strong in many regards, they are losing quite a number of guys on their D ... and that's on top of losing a great OLB coach in Tibesar. I wonder if we'll finally see a "transition" year for the Badgers ... or if they'll continue to "reload?"

In many respects, Wisconsin should be even better through the air ... and they should continue to be strong on the ground. The biggest offensive transition will be at TE ... will the new guy there be as productive as Fumagalli?

Linebackers and Wadley are the obvious holes.

Iowa's defensive scheme has always been designed to funnel everything to the linebackers. We have talent there, but lack experience.

We have good running backs on deck, but I think some are underestimating how much of a game-changer AW was.

Linebackers and Wadley are the obvious holes.

Iowa's defensive scheme has always been designed to funnel everything to the linebackers. We have talent there, but lack experience.

We have good running backs on deck, but I think some are underestimating how much of a game-changer AW was.
Wadley was certainly a talented player for us - but some of his game got neutralized due to problems we had blocking and due to deficiencies in our passing game to the WRs. If a defender can get a hand on Wadley - then it's game-over because Wadley is then easy to tackle. However, if Wadley benefits from good enough blocking ... then he can navigate in space and then it becomes a challenge for a defender to get a good hand on him.

In '18, the Hawk RBs may have "less wiggle" and maybe be less versatile (since Wadley was a strong contributor in the passing game) - but they ARE stronger runners than Akrum. Furthermore, Iowa's blocking AND passing game (on all fronts) should see gains on nearly all fronts.

Consequently, the bigger issue I see for the Hawks at RB simply deals with the lack of experienced depth at RB. Apart from that ... I anticipate that Toren and Ivory have the potential to be very successful for us.

Iowa's scheme on D is certainly intended to funnel things to the ILBs. However, the learning curve at the LEO spot can really magnify any struggles that the team may have when defending the perimeter (at least on the LEO's side of the field). Given how Amani Hooker looked on his run fills - I think that this is part of the reason why Phil is likely considering playing with a hybrid S/LB more in '18. It not only plays to Iowa's strength at safety ... but also it gives the new LEO LB a little bit more wiggle-room in his development (a little less on his plate).

Wadley was certainly a talented player for us - but some of his game got neutralized due to problems we had blocking and due to deficiencies in our passing game to the WRs. If a defender can get a hand on Wadley - then it's game-over because Wadley is then easy to tackle. However, if Wadley benefits from good enough blocking ... then he can navigate in space and then it becomes a challenge for a defender to get a good hand on him.

In '18, the Hawk RBs may have "less wiggle" and maybe be less versatile (since Wadley was a strong contributor in the passing game) - but they ARE stronger runners than Akrum. Furthermore, Iowa's blocking AND passing game (on all fronts) should see gains on nearly all fronts.

Consequently, the bigger issue I see for the Hawks at RB simply deals with the lack of experienced depth at RB. Apart from that ... I anticipate that Toren and Ivory have the potential to be very successful for us.

Iowa's scheme on D is certainly intended to funnel things to the ILBs. However, the learning curve at the LEO spot can really magnify any struggles that the team may have when defending the perimeter (at least on the LEO's side of the field). Given how Amani Hooker looked on his run fills - I think that this is part of the reason why Phil is likely considering playing with a hybrid S/LB more in '18. It not only plays to Iowa's strength at safety ... but also it gives the new LEO LB a little bit more wiggle-room in his development (a little less on his plate).

Some good points. I'm not as confident as you in the upward trajectory of the offensive line. Some talented young guys with another year under their belt...but I'm concerned about the loss of Daniels. If the O line is better than 2017, we're good. If not, that lack of a game breaker could hurt. I like the wrinkle last year using Wadley on swing passes out of the backfield... hope we continue that.

I don't really begin getting a feel for any Iowa football season until mid August. Injuries, arrests, transfers, spring football...so many things to go through yet before ANYBODY educated or not can accurately predict.

There's absolutely no reason at all to apply self-inflicted stress this time of year for the forthcoming season.

Here, on March 5th...it's all pretty much guesswork at the very best and blindfolded darts on a merry-go-round at the worst.

Some good points. I'm not as confident as you in the upward trajectory of the offensive line. Some talented young guys with another year under their belt...but I'm concerned about the loss of Daniels. If the O line is better than 2017, we're good. If not, that lack of a game breaker could hurt. I like the wrinkle last year using Wadley on swing passes out of the backfield... hope we continue that.
For a substantial number of reps this season, our OL had 2 freshmen starters (one true freshman and one redshirt freshman) AND a "new" guy in terms of game experience (Reynolds, a JR). On top of that, Daniels played dinged through much of the season. Thus, our OL featured 3 new bodies and a dinged JR (albeit a kid who is a wunderkind). For perspective, our OL in '15 did have 3 SOs as starters .... but one was Welsh, who saw starts in '14, and all three of them were RS SOs. There's a difference in terms of fundamentals and knowing the schemes when comparing guys entering their 3rd years ... compared to guys who are just in their first or second years.

The only relative "wily" veteran who will be on the OL in '18 is Render. Thus, I would concur that we won't benefit from the added leadership that returning a ton of starts affords. However, we do return guys who have seen quality reps ... so my hope is that they'll continue to benefit from the "natural progression" that our O-linemen usually demonstrate.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
I believe Wirfs and Jackson are future 1st-2nd rounders. They got great experience. I think they go from "dont screw up" to "I'm going to own you" mentality this year. Our TE's are best in conference, maybe country. They will get better at blocking too. I think running game will be better this year. Agree that Wadley danced too much sometimes and that Toren is going to run some people over. Ivory gives us a glimpse of Wadley wiggle. Need B Smith or Smith-Marsette to be consistent. Also, 2nd year under BF's scheme. Nate Stanley hits deep ball more accurately this year watch out. Honestly more worried about the D than O. Lb's scare me.

I don't really begin getting a feel for any Iowa football season until mid August. Injuries, arrests, transfers, spring football...so many things to go through yet before ANYBODY educated or not can accurately predict.

There's absolutely no reason at all to apply self-inflicted stress this time of year for the forthcoming season.

Here, on March 5th...it's all pretty much guesswork at the very best and blindfolded darts on a merry-go-round at the worst.

It is guesswork I will agree. My guess is you are going to lose at Minnesota.

Reactions: Hawk_FiveO
It is guesswork I will agree. My guess is you are going to lose at Minnesota.
If I were to ascribe a probability to the outcome favoring your guess ... I'd probably put it at 20%. Do you have any reasoning that might rationally favor the probability trending higher?

If I were to ascribe a probability to the outcome favoring your guess ... I'd probably put it at 20%. Do you have any reasoning that might rationally favor the probability trending higher?

Last year was anyone's game in Fleck's first year at Iowa with the worst quarterbacking in Minnesota history. The game is now in Minnesota and the quarterbacking will be much better.

I'm probably way out in left field, but I like my thinking.

Last year was anyone's game in Fleck's first year at Iowa with the worst quarterbacking in Minnesota history. The game is now in Minnesota and the quarterbacking will be much better.

Yep, u r out in left field on that putrid prediction.

Minnesota may have the home field advantage ... but breaking in the 2nd QB in as many years hardly is an automatic recipe for success. Part of what held the Hawks back in '17 were some of the same factors that contributed to the Gophers suffering ... they were breaking in a new QB, they were dealing with a new O, they had limitations among their receiving personnel, and the OL had consistency issues. Looking to '18, Iowa doesn't have all those issues resolved ... but it definitely helps to be in the 2nd year of the O with a returning starter at QB. Also, the Gophers benefitted from having some decent TEs in '17 ... 2 of whom graduated. The Hawks return their stud TEs.

If I were a Gopher fan, I would perhaps be most heartened by how solid the D played in '17 despite having some personnel deficiencies (particularly due to attrition in the secondary).

As an Iowa fan, the Iowa run D has been rather disappointing for a few years now. Should that issue finally get "fixed" ... that could make things harder on the Gophers as well. I know that Smith, McCrary, and Brooks are good runners ... but they ran way too successfully against the Hawks last year.

For a substantial number of reps this season, our OL had 2 freshmen starters (one true freshman and one redshirt freshman) AND a "new" guy in terms of game experience (Reynolds, a JR). On top of that, Daniels played dinged through much of the season. Thus, our OL featured 3 new bodies and a dinged JR (albeit a kid who is a wunderkind). For perspective, our OL in '15 did have 3 SOs as starters .... but one was Welsh, who saw starts in '14, and all three of them were RS SOs. There's a difference in terms of fundamentals and knowing the schemes when comparing guys entering their 3rd years ... compared to guys who are just in their first or second years.

The only relative "wily" veteran who will be on the OL in '18 is Render. Thus, I would concur that we won't benefit from the added leadership that returning a ton of starts affords. However, we do return guys who have seen quality reps ... so my hope is that they'll continue to benefit from the "natural progression" that our O-linemen usually demonstrate.

Our tackles will be the most athletic we've had as a set in a long time. Another year of strength and conditioning will really benefit both of them. AJ needs to finish his blocks and become a little nastier. Except for Wirfs all have been around awhile now. Losing Daniels hurts but all this group needs is health and more man and less zone scheme.

Our tackles will be the most athletic we've had as a set in a long time. Another year of strength and conditioning will really benefit both of them. AJ needs to finish his blocks and become a little nastier. Except for Wirfs all have been around awhile now. Losing Daniels hurts but all this group needs is health and more man and less zone scheme.
I don't know ... Scherff and Donnal was a pretty impressive bunch. Ferentz and the other linemen always spoke about how explosive Myers was ... he was reputed to be a pretty good athlete. I don't know about Jackson ... but I do know that the Ferentz's and Polasek do talk about the rare combination that Wirfs has ... the combo of being able to move exceedingly well for a young man his size. I think that one of the features that was a little uncommon about our current duo is that they're both quite big for being so young ... usually we rely more upon Doyle to physically "build" our O-linemen. Of course, I'm sure that Doyle can still do quite a bit to build the functional strength of both of the young men (while helping them work on their explosiveness, among other things).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT