ADVERTISEMENT

*****Wisconsin vs Iowa Game Thread*****

He was solid vs Minnesota. Making free throws doesn’t mean you should play the final 8 minutes.
Not rebounding or defending but making a few free throws is not a trade 99% of coaches could make. Fran probably wouldn’t make it either if it weren’t his son.

Patrick should be an offense / defense sub late in games as well (like Krikke). He has provided some offensive help late in games. Defense/rebounding ... not so much. Can't argue that.

Make up for the error on the phantom goaltending call.

I forgot how bad Big Ten officiating is.
What was the game a few years ago where an overturned goaltend hurt us, similar to how it hurt Wisconsin today? We took a shot, it was blocked right to Kris or Keegan and they laid it in immediately, but goaltending was called on the original shot and the put-back didn't count. It was late in game so they reviewed the goaltending call right away and it was overturned. They then awarded the other team the ball based on the alternate possession arrow. Did this happen in Champaign?

Agreed.
Junior High humor.
At best.

200w.gif

Reactions: drew_hawk
A friend watching on TV texted me during the game, and said the announcers were going off on an Iowa fan jawing with Hepburn. I didn't see anything, did anyone else see this?

He did at the end
Fran did after Wahl scored two easy post baskets on Krikke, then Wahl fouled out right after that, and Krikke was back in.

The lineup that got us back in the game in 1st half after we got down big in 1st half didn't include Krikke. I don't see what Krikke brings to table....last 10 game hes under 0.500 shooter and doesn't rebound as well as PF position requires and he gives up baskets everytime someone has the ball in low post. The younger guys play a lot harder on defense.

Fran did after Wahl scored two easy post baskets on Krikke, then Wahl fouled out right after that, and Krikke was back in.

The lineup that got us back in the game in 1st half after we got down big in 1st half didn't include Krikke. I don't see what Krikke brings to table....last 10 game hes under 0.500 shooter and doesn't rebound as well as PF position requires and he gives up baskets everytime someone has the ball in low post. The younger guys play a lot harder on defense.
I almost prefer Brauns to be subbed in for Krikke than Dembele. Ladji needs the experience, but I think Brauns is a little more physical. Send him in to be an enforcer, fouls be damned. Heck, in a physical game, play them both at the same time and tell them to hit the boards hard at both ends. Push, shove and beat the hell outta them.

A friend watching on TV texted me during the game, and said the announcers were going off on an Iowa fan jawing with Hepburn. I didn't see anything, did anyone else see this?
It was mentioned a few times during the broadcast. I wonder if a certain Lounge poster knows anything about it?🤔

I think it was Gasser, the anesthesiologist that used to post here.

Dude was/is a tool, announcers made mention of it, but nothing was replayed. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Why. Dembele is a foul waiting to happen. The stats say he averages 9.9 fouls per 100 possessions vs Krikke at 3.3 He also turns the ball over at a rate 3 times greater than Krikke. He's shown flashes, but he's not a great defender and going down the stretch, he more than likely creates a disadvantage for his team.
I think he’s a much better defender than Krikke, he can block shots and rebounds better. I think he’s gotten the brunt of his fouls in a couple games, but it’s an experience issue. Krikke just gets posted up and backed down, he has no defensive intuition.

Dude was/is a tool, announcers made mention of it, but nothing was replayed. It wouldn't surprise me though.
Hepburn didn't get a T like Tony did in the last game though.

Why. Dembele is a foul waiting to happen. The stats say he averages 9.9 fouls per 100 possessions vs Krikke at 3.3 He also turns the ball over at a rate 3 times greater than Krikke. He's shown flashes, but he's not a great defender and going down the stretch, he more than likely creates a disadvantage for his team.
Dembele fouls too much. Krikke just let's the opponent score too much.

He's clearly well aware of the two foul rule.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I almost prefer Brauns to be subbed in for Krikke than Dembele. Ladji needs the experience, but I think Brauns is a little more physical. Send him in to be an enforcer, fouls be damned. Heck, in a physical game, play them both at the same time and tell them to hit the boards hard at both ends. Push, shove and beat the hell outta them.
Dembele and Brauns both foul a lot.

A big part of it is they are told to go in, in very limited minutes specifically for defense.

They try to earn more playing time by going hard at the opponent and they foul.

The only remedy for that is more playing time which they can't get because they aren't scorers.

So against opponents with athletic bigs, which is most b1g ten opponents, we just give up a bunch of rebounds and easy baskets.

It all makes sense right?

He's been warned before because some officials have taken offense at him. Who knows, it might be warranted. I know he boasted in the past about getting into it with opposing players. I think it's a bit of a love/dread relationship over there in the athletic department. If it was him, he was told to step back by an official in the Ohio State game.

A big part of it is they are told to go in, in very limited minutes specifically for defense.

The only remedy for that is more playing time which they can't get because they aren't scorers.

So against opponents with athletic bigs, which is most b1g ten opponents, we just give up a bunch of rebounds and easy baskets.

Dembele avg 2 fouls a game in 11 minutes. Nowhere near as bad as you make it sound especially when he’s giving up a lot of size at times playing the 5 spot. I think he actually tries to stop people where as the upperclassman know to get minutes you don’t foul of defense and you don’t take risks on offense. A losing recipe in the dance.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Dembele avg 2 fouls a game in 11 minutes. Nowhere near as bad as you make it sound especially when he’s giving up a lot of size at times playing the 5 spot. I think he actually tries to stop people where as the upperclassman know to get minutes you don’t foul of defense and you don’t take risks on offense. A losing recipe in the dance.
Krikke isn’t even good enough TO foul sometimes. He is just awful.

My point was that he needs more pt to learn what he can get away with and not be so aggressive.

It's dumb to base the whole starting lineup on scoring at the total disregard of defense.

Reactions: BirdistheWord

I thought for a guy who was a D1 starter Brauns would have played a lot more this year. I'd be fine if he played 10 minutes a game just to rebound and beat the crap out of people. Other teams know Iowa is soft, they need more of what Brauns brings not less.

I thought for a guy who was a D1 starter Brauns would have played a lot more this year. I'd be fine if he played 10 minutes a game just to rebound and beat the crap out of people. Other teams know Iowa is soft, they need more of what Brauns brings not less.
Yeah, that was what I was trying to say.

Of course he's going to foul when he plays one minute a game and his only reason for getting in is to stop the opponent.

He's going to try way too hard to stop a score.

It takes a while to develop a feel for how physical the reffs will allow you to be.

His block on Krohl looked pretty clean to me too.

Yeah, he seems to be able to hold his own when out there. Not asked to do a ton but guy is a big body with a high motor and decent athleticism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT