ADVERTISEMENT

I think the Meyer trial is over

Isn't Jane Meyer's suit abought sexual orientation and gender discrimination. While the paper trail would have made it even easier for the UI to win this. I don't see how Newkirk has proven she was discriminated by gender or sexual orientation. That was their job in the hope of winning this case.
This X 100.

i haven't followed this as closely as many of you but it seems to me that meyer's real problems started when she began messing with the football and wrestling programs. (in addition to the insubordination at the meeting.) for those focused strictly on gender issues, i am sure this appears to be gender inequality. i would see it as a money issue and you don't get in the way of football, which is paying the bills. i have to cut barta a little slack regarding his handling of the situation. not an easy situation. it appears that he was totally for meyers before he was against her- this is not uncommon. you dont write bad reviews for someone that you expect to be working with. who the hell wants a disgruntled employee. it is not until you determine that you have reached the point of no return that you start making the case for dismissal. in general, i have seen this in my many years of writing reviews- you overstate the positive for cases that you are supporting and overstate the negative for cases that you cant support. everybody does it.

While I don't think there's one single bit of evidence that she was discriminated against and I believe she was moved out of her job for perfectly good reasons, in today's crazy leftist political climate it would not surprise me one bit if she won sometjing.

all depends on how many crazy leftists are on the jury and are willing to do whatever it takes to advance the agenda.

We've seen it numerous times last 8 years with the Department of Justice and on college campuses all over the country where facts do not matter and they are willing to set aside logic reason and even law to obtain the desired outcome they want. The left is disgusting

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Out of state with no real exposure to the trial. Was unaware of further testimony by barta regarding this but it is still a slippery slope. Trials have a lot more in common with theater than maybe we all would like so it only matters how the jurors interpret the he said/she said.

Personally would like to see the university win and then fire barta using this as rationale.

Who is on your short list to replace him??

TIA

While I don't think there's one single bit of evidence that she was discriminated against and I believe she was moved out of her job for perfectly good reasons, in today's crazy leftist political climate it would not surprise me one bit if she won sometjing.

all depends on how many crazy leftists are on the jury and are willing to do whatever it takes to advance the agenda.

We've seen it numerous times last 8 years with the Department of Justice and on college campuses all over the country where facts do not matter and they are willing to set aside logic reason and even law to obtain the desired outcome they want. The left is disgusting

what you seem to be missing here is------ it is the "leftist" university of iowa (traditionally one of the most liberal universities in the country) that is going up against meyer. believe me barta is not doing this on his own, he must have the full support of this administration and past administrations

what you seem to be missing here is------ it is the "leftist" university of iowa (traditionally one of the most liberal universities in the country) that is going up against meyer. believe me barta is not doing this on his own, he must have the full support of this administration and past administrations
You can go all day listing stuff that he's "missing" and you wouldn't scratch the surface.

Reactions: dbrocket
LOL.

After yesterday's testimony. This lawsuit is over. Rick Hellers testimony along with two or three female athletic department employees absolutely destroyed her case.

Who is on your short list to replace him??

TIA

There are a lot of ways to reply to your snarky question. The first is just because I don't like or feel barta is the person for the job doesn't mean I am qualified or even desirous of throwing a name out. Get over yourself.

What I would like in an AD is someone willing to fill open positions with the best candidate possible and not settle. Someone who would look at our standings in the directors cup and conclude overall we aren't really competitive and then want to change that. How about someone willing to build the brand ( not sure what ours even is ) then hire coaches that can both sustain and grow that brand. Not someone who is going to simply hand the keys over to a safe unspectacular successor.

Would that be too much to ask?

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
Holy crap. After today's testimony, I think the University of Iowa has a a case where they could actually sue Meyer for damages she inflicted as a rogue and destructive employee set on destroying parts of the University of Iowa's athletic department.

This is unbelievable

Holy crap. After today's testimony, I think the University of Iowa has a a case where they could actually sue Meyer for damages she inflicted as a rogue and destructive employee set on destroying parts of the University of Iowa's athletic department.

This is unbelievable

Summarize?

Summarize?
The Heller anecdote could be one thing. The field had shoddy work done, which didn't comply with the coach's needs (which he had been promised). Once Meyer was out, Heller was brought into discussions to get things going. Facility problems can hold a program back.

Doubt they'd counter sue; they probably just want to be rid of her. Not sure how strong a case they really have anyway.

The Heller anecdote could be one thing. The field had shoddy work done, which didn't comply with the coach's needs (which he had been promised). Once Meyer was out, Heller was brought into discussions to get things going. Facility problems can hold a program back.

Doubt they'd counter sue; they probably just want to be rid of her. Not sure how strong a case they really have anyway.

It also sounds like she refused to include Heller in the planning for the updates to the baseball facility, despite his requests to do so. So he had to request that certain things be done which she didn't deliver. For example, Heller asked that the outfield walls be brought in. When the renovations were done, the outfield walls were actually further away.

IMHO, this case would be a slam dunk had some paperwork and a proper review been done on the Bond Shymansky complaints. Bluder's testimony about Jansen's acceptance and raise under Barta blew the homophobia theory to pieces.

IMHO, this case would be a slam dunk had some paperwork and a proper review been done on the Bond Shymansky complaints. Bluder's testimony about Jansen's acceptance and raise under Barta blew the homophobia theory to pieces.

Along with testimony from recently-retired senior associate AD Paula Jantz. Via tweets from Mark Emmert: "Jantz, who has been in a same-sex relationship for 38 years, said Barta treated her wife with respect. "He treated us like friends."

It also sounds like she refused to include Heller in the planning for the updates to the baseball facility, despite his requests to do so. So he had to request that certain things be done which she didn't deliver. For example, Heller asked that the outfield walls be brought in. When the renovations were done, the outfield walls were actually further away.

The interactions with Heller and Brands alone would/should have been enough to get her fired. If your job is in charge of facilities/construction projects and you shut out your two biggest stakeholders, that's incompetence and/or willful intent to sabotage those men's sports.

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
@MarkEmmert: Final defense witness was Liz Hollingworth, who chairs UIowa Presidential Committee on Athletics, an advisory body

She said Meyer breached committee's confidentiality promise to coach who said it was impossible there were gay players on their team

@MarkEmmert: Hollingworth said Meyer then confronted the coach. 'I was very disappointed,' she said, sought to get athletic staffers out of meetings

@MarkEmmert: Hollingworth said when she learned about Meyer-Griesbaum relationship, she was confused, but 'it made a few things make sense.'

Such as why Meyer would speak in favor of field hockey facility upgrades and not for other sports such as gymnastics

@MarkEmmert: Hollingworth also said Meyer gave her a list of four lesbian coaches that her committee needed to interview. She was taken aback by this

She went to Barta the next morning and asked him to pull Meyer from further PCA meetings. Her committee later did interview those coaches

Along with testimony from recently-retired senior associate AD Paula Jantz. Via tweets from Mark Emmert: "Jantz, who has been in a same-sex relationship for 38 years, said Barta treated her wife with respect. "He treated us like friends."

Yes! The only reason I didn't include her was I couldn't remember her name. Didn't she also outline some patterns of complaint about Griesbaum?

good grief... that's unbelievable.

@MarkEmmert: Final defense witness was Liz Hollingworth, who chairs UIowa Presidential Committee on Athletics, an advisory body

She said Meyer breached committee's confidentiality promise to coach who said it was impossible there were gay players on their team

@MarkEmmert: Hollingworth said Meyer then confronted the coach. 'I was very disappointed,' she said, sought to get athletic staffers out of meetings

@MarkEmmert: Hollingworth said when she learned about Meyer-Griesbaum relationship, she was confused, but 'it made a few things make sense.'

Such as why Meyer would speak in favor of field hockey facility upgrades and not for other sports such as gymnastics

@MarkEmmert: Hollingworth also said Meyer gave her a list of four lesbian coaches that her committee needed to interview. She was taken aback by this

She went to Barta the next morning and asked him to pull Meyer from further PCA meetings. Her committee later did interview those coaches
Just to give more detail on the bolded above: These meetings were where coaches could discuss things with complete confidentiality and nothing was to leave the room.
Also, Hollingworth said Meyer mentioned several times that the field hockey team should get some more money or such. At that time Hollingworth didn't know about Griesbaum-Meyer relationship. She said that sort of explained some of Meyer's comments.

Reactions: terrehawk

She sounds more like an athletic activist than an athletic administrator.

There are a lot of ways to reply to your snarky question. The first is just because I don't like or feel barta is the person for the job doesn't mean I am qualified or even desirous of throwing a name out. Get over yourself.

What I would like in an AD is someone willing to fill open positions with the best candidate possible and not settle. Someone who would look at our standings in the directors cup and conclude overall we aren't really competitive and then want to change that. How about someone willing to build the brand ( not sure what ours even is ) then hire coaches that can both sustain and grow that brand. Not someone who is going to simply hand the keys over to a safe unspectacular successor.

Yes.

Seeing as Meyers lawyer provided little to no evidence that Barta fired her based on sexual orientation, the above piece of evidence pretty much ties up the defenses case.

good grief... that's unbelievable.
The outfield turf was also put in at wrong angle and had to be replaced. There were other things too.

I think he had requested a drawing of the new proposed facilities and she never provided it to him despite numerous requests.

Apparently he got it within a month of her being transferred

Reactions: thirteenandtwo

So you don't like KF and the BF hire. Lol get over it.

Reactions: Ree4

Not trying to takes sides here, but some questions. The building of one's "Brand", is the big catch phrase now. I suppose we have people like Michael and Lebron to thank for this phrase. What does that mean exactly? What exactly is Michigans "Brand"? Alabama, OSU? I ask because I really don't know what that means. I'm not to sure you do either, just as you stated that you don't know what Iowa's "Brand " would be. Is Iowa's "Brand" that they are a member of the BIG consortium of cancer research universities? That they are great University with mid western values who competes with integrity on the athletic fields of the proud BIG?
As to handing the keys over to a safe unspectacular successor, I'll assume this is an obvious dig at BF. So your saying your already certain what his effect as OC, let alone IF he's ever the head coach at Iowa will be, before he's ever coached a game at those positions? How about we see what the guys got before we start looking for the new savior.

She sounds more like an athletic activist than an athletic administrator.

Based on my experience as an undergrad at the U of I, the same could be said for a lot of professors in their respective roles. Identity instruction is the name of the game in the CLAS. Meyer was a great fit as logistical strategist in this department.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Glad they took this to trial as I dont think they did anything wrong. I am pretty tired in general of large coprs settling when they didnt do anything wrong just to get it over with. Sounds like she did her job poorly on top of being impossible to work with.

I know some on here myself included worried this case would look bad for Iowa played out in a public forum. On the other hand I was thinking good for U of I and not just take the easy route and pony up the $ when they felt like they didn't do anything wrong in her firing. I was still nervous none the less when it went to trial but now after they've had all the witnesses and its done I totally understand why they didn't settle this and glad they made her look like the fool she is and these tweets above by Jon Miller just prove that point. Meyer can always get a McJob if she's still looking for work.

Which she will most likely not get.
article this morning said she had 25 job interviews since 2010, that's almost every 2-3 months before she was reassigned. Didn't appear she wanted to be there for a long time and that could have fed her attitude in general.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT