ADVERTISEMENT

I think the Meyer trial is over

Not trying to takes sides here, but some questions. The building of one's "Brand", is the big catch phrase now. I suppose we have people like Michael and Lebron to thank for this phrase. What does that mean exactly? What exactly is Michigans "Brand"? Alabama, OSU? I ask because I really don't know what that means. I'm not to sure you do either, just as you stated that you don't know what Iowa's "Brand " would be. Is Iowa's "Brand" that they are a member of the BIG consortium of cancer research universities? That they are great University with mid western values who competes with integrity on the athletic fields of the proud BIG?
As to handing the keys over to a safe unspectacular successor, I'll assume this is an obvious dig at BF. So your saying your already certain what his effect as OC, let alone IF he's ever the head coach at Iowa will be, before he's ever coached a game at those positions? How about we see what the guys got before we start looking for the new savior.

I am glad you challenged me to think about this because it forced me to realize I didn't give our whole brand thing enough consideration. Actually I do believe we have a brand and I've read it here many times . "We ain't sexy" is the Iowa brand.

As far as the hires made and those in the offing in a few years. Damn straight they are disappointing. This is a business generating hundreds of millions of dollars. To not look beyond your backyard seems like a failure of ones duties.

As for your last sentence it smacks of "hope" and hope isn't a business plan in my book.

Reactions: JoelBittner
I am glad you challenged me to think about this because it forced me to realize I didn't give our whole brand thing enough consideration. Actually I do believe we have a brand and I've read it here many times . "We ain't sexy" is the Iowa brand.

As far as the hires made and those in the offing in a few years. Damn straight they are disappointing. This is a business generating hundreds of millions of dollars. To not look beyond your backyard seems like a failure of ones duties.

As for your last sentence it smacks of "hope" and hope isn't a business plan in my book.
When you say they are disappointing, which they are you talking about. They hired two coaches with no affiliation to Iowa, and I'd hope the jury is still out on those hires. This comes down to Brian obviously, so lets deal with that. I'd assume you sat in on any phone calls or interviews that took place with candidates for the OC job? If not how do you know they didn't look beyond their backyard? Further for all the folks on here who feel the need to bag on BF, his resume looks impeccable everywhere he's been. No doubt you glossed over the statements by the current coach of the Houston Texans how badly he wanted to hire Brian for his new staff.
As far as hope not being a business plan, what certainty do you have in most new hires?In basketball we hired Alford who took his team to the sweet 16 and was a finalist for national coach of the year, and that didn't work out. So we hired Todd Lickliter, who took his team to the sweet 16, and WAS the national coach of the year, and that SURE AS HELL, didn't work out!
Once again its pretty easy to sit on the outside and be critical of organization your not involved in. I think I've already stated what I think Iowa's brand is. Proud member for over 115 years of the NCAA most respected conference when it comes to combining academic excellence and athletic prowess. A school with with mid western values who competes solidly with integrity. I'm sorry if thats not sexy.

When you say they are disappointing, which they are you talking about. They hired two coaches with no affiliation to Iowa, and I'd hope the jury is still out on those hires. This comes down to Brian obviously, so lets deal with that. I'd assume you sat in on any phone calls or interviews that took place with candidates for the OC job? If not how do you know they didn't look beyond their backyard? Further for all the folks on here who feel the need to bag on BF, his resume looks impeccable everywhere he's been. No doubt you glossed over the statements by the current coach of the Houston Texans how badly he wanted to hire Brian for his new staff.
As far as hope not being a business plan, what certainty do you have in most new hires?In basketball we hired Alford who took his team to the sweet 16 and was a finalist for national coach of the year, and that didn't work out. So we hired Todd Lickliter, who took his team to the sweet 16, and WAS the national coach of the year, and that SURE AS HELL, didn't work out!
Once again its pretty easy to sit on the outside and be critical of organization your not involved in. I think I've already stated what I think Iowa's brand is. Proud member for over 115 years of the NCAA most respected conference when it comes to combining academic excellence and athletic prowess. A school with with mid western values who competes solidly with integrity. I'm sorry if thats not sexy.
Nicely said, I cannot stand people who are already negative about a hire before they have even had an official fall practice and have not even played in a game yet....good grief, BF has an outstanding resume and if not promoted at Iowa would have got OC job elsewhere....

Reactions: Ree4

I wish they would start using a different picture on Twitter. Seeing it daily is starting to give me nightmares.

Since you didn't respond to that part of my question, what exactly is Michigan's "Brand", Bama's, OSU's, Texas's, USC's? Or are you just throwing catchy phrases out there with hope of putting your stick in the pot and whirling it around?

Reactions: anon_8rcdnbko1jbe0

I wish they would start using a different picture on Twitter. Seeing it daily is starting to give me nightmares.
439.jpg

Not trying to takes sides here, but some questions. The building of one's "Brand", is the big catch phrase now. I suppose we have people like Michael and Lebron to thank for this phrase. What does that mean exactly? What exactly is Michigans "Brand"? Alabama, OSU? I ask because I really don't know what that means. I'm not to sure you do either, just as you stated that you don't know what Iowa's "Brand " would be. Is Iowa's "Brand" that they are a member of the BIG consortium of cancer research universities? That they are great University with mid western values who competes with integrity on the athletic fields of the proud BIG?
As to handing the keys over to a safe unspectacular successor, I'll assume this is an obvious dig at BF. So your saying your already certain what his effect as OC, let alone IF he's ever the head coach at Iowa will be, before he's ever coached a game at those positions? How about we see what the guys got before we start looking for the new savior.
I will say this about promoting BF to OC. If he really was qualified and capable, why run out and pay top dollar and hire 2 former OCs to place underneath him on the staff?
Now, I'm all for hiring the best possible staff we can afford but this has not been the case in the 17 years prior to BF being named OC. That tells me he has been placed in a position he is likely not qualified to handle without the help of experienced OCs around him. If that is the case, it also tells me he got picked because of who his daddy is and not because of what he can do.
Maybe Greg Davis would have done a much better job if KF had placed 2 former OCs under him on the offensive staff, instead of BF?

I will say this about promoting BF to OC. If he really was qualified and capable, why run out and pay top dollar and hire 2 former OCs to place underneath him on the staff?
Now, I'm all for hiring the best possible staff we can afford but this has not been the case in the 17 years prior to BF being named OC. That tells me he has been placed in a position he is likely not qualified to handle without the help of experienced OCs around him. If that is the case, it also tells me he got picked because of who his daddy is and not because of what he can do.
Maybe Greg Davis would have done a much better job if KF had placed 2 former OCs under him on the offensive staff, instead of BF?
First off, I think coach O'Keefe was brought back mainly to work with QB's as this is his strength. I also don't know that coach P was brought in for any reason more then they liked his overall resume. For the most part your making assumptions, that this is why they were hired. Even if its a side benefit, I don't see an issue with that, unless when the bullets start firing, he's not the one making the decisions. To this point there has been no indication that BF isn't up to handling those duties. So for the most part people are once again making an argument opposed to the staff, based on their perception of what they think will happen. Can't we just wait and burn them at the stake, after BF fails miserably as you expect? As for Greg Davis, no one would have brought in other coaches to,(oversee his work), as your suggesting, for an OC who had a national championship on his resume. And NO, I don't think thats why they were hired.

First off, I think coach O'Keefe was brought back mainly to work with QB's as this is his strength. I also don't know that coach P was brought in for any reason more then they liked his overall resume. For the most part your making assumptions, that this is why they were hired. Even if its a side benefit, I don't see an issue with that, unless when the bullets start firing, he's not the one making the decisions. To this point there has been no indication that BF isn't up to handling those duties. So for the most part people are once again making an argument opposed to the staff, based on their perception of what they think will happen. Can't we just wait and burn them at the stake, after BF fails miserably as you expect? As for Greg Davis, no one would have brought in other coaches to,(oversee his work), as your suggesting, for an OC who had a national championship on his resume. And NO, I don't think thats why they were hired.
When you look at the salaries they are earning, it looks more like fact than assumption.
My comment about Davis wasnt based on his need to have other OCs on staff. It was based on the level of experience those 2 have and the salaries they command. KF has never paid an offensive staff this kind of money before. Why now? Why didn't the defensive side of the ball get similar jumps in pay, if not upgrades in coaches?
I'll go a step further and suggest coach P is already pencilled in as BF's OC once he gets put at the top spot.

When you look at the salaries they are earning, it looks more like fact than assumption.
My comment about Davis wasnt based on his need to have other OCs on staff. It was based on the level of experience those 2 have and the salaries they command. KF has never paid an offensive staff this kind of money before. Why now? Why didn't the defensive side of the ball get similar jumps in pay, if not upgrades in coaches?
I'll go a step further and suggest coach P is already pencilled in as BF's OC once he gets put at the top spot.
There's really no reason for me to carry on a disagreement with you on this subject, and here's why. I don't know a thing about the reasons these guys were hired, why they were paid what they were, or what positions they'll hold five years from now, and neither do you. You've decided to take your assumptions,(which is all they are), and project that BF was only given this job because of his Dad. Your free to think what you want. If your not being negative, then I guess I don't see the point. You say BF isn't qualified. I've pointed out before people outside of the Iowa family speak very highly of BF as an up and comer in the coaching profession. It's possible we raised a future star coach here who may someday lead Iowa, or someone else to much success. Only the future knows for sure. I know its easier to degrade all things Ferentz, and project, or even hope for the worst, so that the naysayers will be proven right. It just isn't worth all the negative energy all the time,is it?

Reactions: Ree4
There's really no reason for me to carry on a disagreement with you on this subject, and here's why. I don't know a thing about the reasons these guys were hired, why they were paid what they were, or what positions they'll hold five years from now, and neither do you. You've decided to take your assumptions,(which is all they are), and project that BF was only given this job because of his Dad. Your free to think what you want. If your not being negative, then I guess I don't see the point. You say BF isn't qualified. I've pointed out before people outside of the Iowa family speak very highly of BF as an up and comer in the coaching profession. It's possible we raised a future star coach here who may someday lead Iowa, or someone else to much success. Only the future knows for sure. I know its easier to degrade all things Ferentz, and project, or even hope for the worst, so that the naysayers will be proven right. It just isn't worth all the negative energy all the time,is it?
Just show me the last QB coach that KF paid 540K, like he did O'Keefe. And if it's possible to pay a small position group coach that kind of money, with that kind of experience, why isn't all of our staff treated accordingly? God knows we should be throwing Fort Know at a good WR coach.

Please just come out and say what you really want to say. Your little side remarks and innuendo are tiresome. Give us some concrete arguments. But if that is not possible just say exactly why the Ferentz family pisses you off.

Reactions: doughudd

A new OC like Brian is far more likely to listen to 2 former OC's that are under him than Greg would have been. Brian knows that he still has a lot to learn but that doesn't imply that he isn't qualified.

Please just come out and say what you really want to say. Your little side remarks and innuendo are tiresome. Give us some concrete arguments. But if that is not possible just say exactly why the Ferentz family pisses you off.
You're the one that sounds angry. The Ferentzs' don't piss me off. I'm just calling it like I see it. That doesn't mean I'm right.

A new OC like Brian is far more likely to listen to 2 former OC's that are under him than Greg would have been. Brian knows that he still has a lot to learn but that doesn't imply that he isn't qualified.
Nowhere in this thread did I say it was a bad thing for Iowa football. BF may be the best thing to happen to the future of Iowa football. There are some guys that just "get it" when it comes to coaching and it's obvious when they are just starting out. He might be one of those guys.

Been just stalking to this point but, first of all, courts determining if firing a college coach is...whatever??? The whole courts and sports thing is controversial enough. Tracey being gay couldn't have been any secret, period! So it was something else, period. Jane let her relationship influence her job and she's clearly a B****! It's difficult to think she respected men/men's athletics, in short. Seriously! Like lesbians are something new to U of Iowa...whatever, again, it was something else. That said, Jane Meyer....I'd like a double Quarter pounder deluxe, super sized with a diet Coke. It's not on there as a double, just add a patty for 70 cents!

I'm going to vent for a minute..... it's not you..... I'm just tired of this

SHUT THE F$€K UP.

You're mad we (sorry I mean they) are using resources to get high quality assistant coaches. Really? That becomes a knock on BF? It's not like they're hiring babysitters - they're simplifying things for their young coordinator. You should be mad they didn't do it for GD - not the opposite.

I get so god damn frustrated when people bitch about the money the university spends. A few hundred thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket and we have desperately needed better assistant coaches for a decade.

Likely not qualified? Because they surrounded him with talent... Who says something like that?

I remember when BF was first hired as TE's coach and there were threads predicting that he was going to be groomed as the future HC. There were
I'm going to vent for a minute..... it's not you..... I'm just tired of this

SHUT THE F$€K UP.

You're mad we (sorry I mean they) are using resources to get high quality assistant coaches. Really? That becomes a knock on BF? It's not like they're hiring babysitters - they're simplifying things for their young coordinator. You should be mad they didn't do it for GD - not the opposite.

I get so god damn frustrated when people bitch about the money the university spends. A few hundred thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket and we have desperately needed better assistant coaches for a decade.

Likely not qualified? Because they surrounded him with talent... Who says something like that?
You asked a lot of questions that I want answers to. Why DIDN'T we surround Greg Davis with better personnel? Why haven't we gone out and paid for the most experienced, higher priced coaches in the past? You can offer reasonable opinions on these questions or...
YOU CAN STFU!

I remember when BF was first hired as TE's coach and there were threads predicting that he was going to be groomed as the future HC. There were

You asked a lot of questions that I want answers to. Why DIDN'T we surround Greg Davis with better personnel? Why haven't we gone out and paid for the most experienced, higher priced coaches in the past? You can offer reasonable opinions on these questions or...
YOU CAN STFU!

Not sure how this all ties into the Meyer case but I will join in.
Having a succession plan in place is smart. Hiring talented coaches is smart. Your pay analogy is weak. Tell me the last defensive coordinator Iowa hired that made more than Parker. It can go on and on. Coaching staffs and their values are fluid, at times you may need to pay a premium for certain skill sets. If these people were making double what an O$U or Michigan coach was then maybe an eyebrow would be raised. They aren't so save the faux outrage. It is the nature of the business. Now, how long will the jury be out?

YOU CAN STFU!

This made me laugh. Hopefully you took my post as sarcasm - I wasn't targeting you.

I agree with your question. I try not to concern myself with the administration of this team knowing smarter folks are involved. But I can't for the life of me figure out the GD hire or many of the other assistants. It seemed so obvious we should've grabbed a big talent and sold them on the potential of following KF

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
This made me laugh. Hopefully you took my post as sarcasm - I wasn't targeting you.

I agree with your question. I try not to concern myself with the administration of this team knowing smarter folks are involved. But I can't for the life of me figure out the GD hire or many of the other assistants. It seemed so obvious we should've grabbed a big talent and sold them on the potential of following KF

you can't figure out why we hired a guy who won a National Championship and had 9 10+ win seasons in a row?

Reactions: ichawk24

KF didn't want a "big talent". He wanted to hire a stop-gap OC to fill the spot until BF could be promoted up the line.

you can't figure out why we hired a guy who won a National Championship and had 9 10+ win seasons in a row?

That is correct. Who did Iowa compete with for his services? A resume like that he must have been a hot commodity. Any insight on why he left Texas?

Whatever its worth, I have heard from kids in the program that (most) are super excited about BF and his new responsibilities. That doesn't make him the best candidate, but he is Hawkeye through and through. He is regarded highly in the way he interacts with players and his coaching way. I categorize "most" above, as my source was personal conversation with a few players, not exhaustive polling, etc.

Regarding your speculations, the answer to all ongoing conversations and critical speculations, like you have postulated, will end up dying a death from 1000 qualifications and variables. Perhaps Jane Meyer should have been hired. Who was her daddy?

That hire in a vaccum really doesn't bother me. I can't figure out how you go years without an assistant coach that excites anyone. That was one of many opportunities to get somebody.

He was out of coaching and couldn't get another P5 offer.

That was big red flag I remember when he was hired. Not only did he not coach previous year the hiring cycle when most coaches were getting new coordinators he was passed by. Thing with that situation was when KOK left it was February so Iowa missed out on chance to get lot of other coaches during that Nov and Dec period when coaches are fired.

As for talent surrounding Davis he was an experienced OC but we also brought in Kennedy a coach he worked with familiar with his system and well we all know how that turned out with our WR. As for KOK salary complaint I think being in Miami I'm just speculating with his job he probably used some leverage to get more to come back. But I like the move gives BF an assistant who has history not only working with QBs and former OC BF can bounce ideas off of.

Whatever its worth, I have heard from kids in the program that (most) are super excited about BF and his new responsibilities. That doesn't make him the best candidate, but he is Hawkeye through and through. He is regarded highly in the way he interacts with players and his coaching way. I categorize "most" above, as my source was personal conversation with a few players, not exhaustive polling, etc.

Regarding your speculations, the answer to all ongoing conversations and critical speculations, like you have postulated, will end up dying a death from 1000 qualifications and variables. Perhaps Jane Meyer should have been hired. Who was her daddy?
I've already said that BF could end up being a home run hire for us. I simply pointed out the circumstances that have surrounded his trajectory. I also admitted I could easily be wrong. Now, if you tell me who Jane Meyer's daddy is, I might be able to answer your question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT