ADVERTISEMENT

I think the Meyer trial is over

That hire in a vaccum really doesn't bother me. I can't figure out how you go years without an assistant coach that excites anyone. That was one of many opportunities to get somebody.

I was excited about Greg Davis.... he did a good job... we went 12-0... better than any offensive Coordinator in the history of Iowa Hawkeye football.

if you weren't excited, that's on you.

That was big red flag I remember when he was hired. Not only did he not coach previous year the hiring cycle when most coaches were getting new coordinators he was passed by. Thing with that situation was when KOK left it was February so Iowa missed out on chance to get lot of other coaches during that Nov and Dec period when coaches are fired.

As for talent surrounding Davis he was an experienced OC but we also brought in Kennedy a coach he worked with familiar with his system and well we all know how that turned out with our WR. As for KOK salary complaint I think being in Miami I'm just speculating with his job he probably used some leverage to get more to come back. But I like the move gives BF an assistant who has history not only working with QBs and former OC BF can bounce ideas off of.
I like the move too. I think you guys are missing my point. For some reason that you guys can't grasp, KF has suddenly placed more emphasis on experience and pay within the offensive coaching staff. The first 17 years of below avg offensive football never got his attention apparently. And I'm supposed to believe that this is coincidence? And because I don't believe it's a coincidence, I'm getting shit for it?
Where was this commitment to offense the first 17 years?
The Iowa AD operates in the red and it almost always has. We should have been paying much more for better coaching and a much bigger recruiting budget, a long time ago. At least IMO.
I have my theories on the recruiting budget but that's for another discussion.

I remember when BF was first hired as TE's coach and there were threads predicting that he was going to be groomed as the future HC. There were

You asked a lot of questions that I want answers to. Why DIDN'T we surround Greg Davis with better personnel? Why haven't we gone out and paid for the most experienced, higher priced coaches in the past? You can offer reasonable opinions on these questions or...
YOU CAN STFU!

So in one post you are bitching about not surrounding our OC with better personal while at the same time bitching about surrounding our OC with better personnel. That takes some quality talent right there. You are special indeed.

So in one post you are bitching about not surrounding our OC with better personal while at the same time bitching about surrounding our OC with better personnel. That takes some quality talent right there. You are special indeed.
Take a reading comprehension class before you graduate high school. IF you graduate high school.

Reactions: JoelBittner
KF didn't want a "big talent". He wanted to hire a stop-gap OC to fill the spot until BF could be promoted up the line.

If a
I like the move too. I think you guys are missing my point. For some reason that you guys can't grasp, KF has suddenly placed more emphasis on experience and pay within the offensive coaching staff. The first 17 years of below avg offensive football never got his attention apparently. And I'm supposed to believe that this is coincidence? And because I don't believe it's a coincidence, I'm getting shit for it?
Where was this commitment to offense the first 17 years?
The Iowa AD operates in the red and it almost always has. We should have been paying much more for better coaching and a much bigger recruiting budget, a long time ago. At least IMO.
I have my theories on the recruiting budget but that's for another discussion.

"You guys" now its back on track for Jane Meyer! You sound just like her testimony - thanks!
Yes -please share those recruiting theories! ** in a separate thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to vent for a minute..... it's not you..... I'm just tired of this

SHUT THE F$€K UP.

You're mad we (sorry I mean they) are using resources to get high quality assistant coaches. Really? That becomes a knock on BF? It's not like they're hiring babysitters - they're simplifying things for their young coordinator. You should be mad they didn't do it for GD - not the opposite.

I get so god damn frustrated when people bitch about the money the university spends. A few hundred thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket and we have desperately needed better assistant coaches for a decade.

Likely not qualified? Because they surrounded him with talent... Who says something like that?
Guys create your own thread if you want to talk about Iowa football etcetera. This is about the court case

I remember when BF was first hired as TE's coach and there were threads predicting that he was going to be groomed as the future HC. There were

You asked a lot of questions that I want answers to. Why DIDN'T we surround Greg Davis with better personnel? Why haven't we gone out and paid for the most experienced, higher priced coaches in the past? You can offer reasonable opinions on these questions or...
YOU CAN STFU!
We surrounded Greg Davis with who Greg Davis wanted us to surround him with. His guy was Bobby Kennedy he wanted, bobby kennedy he got.....not to mention Woods and BF who are still on staff........

We surrounded Greg Davis with who Greg Davis wanted us to surround him with. His guy was Bobby Kennedy he wanted, bobby kennedy he got.....not to mention Woods and BF who are still on staff........
Please stick to the bogus trial at hand. Start another thread if you want to talk about Greg Davis etcetera

Reactions: And1Hawk
Please stick to the bogus trial at hand. Start another thread if you want to talk about Greg Davis etcetera
I apologize, I was just responding to another poster with a logical answer. I knew BK pretty good because he was recruiting a few WR's that went through our program and he is originally from boulder so had a little inside infor and insight on the situation

As far as hope not being a business plan, what certainty do you have in most new hires?In basketball we hired Alford who took his team to the sweet 16 and was a finalist for national coach of the year, and that didn't work out. So we hired Todd Lickliter, who took his team to the sweet 16, and WAS the national coach of the year, and that SURE AS HELL, didn't work out!
Once again its pretty easy to sit on the outside and be critical of organization your not involved in. I think I've already stated what I think Iowa's brand is. Proud member for over 115 years of the NCAA most respected conference when it comes to combining academic excellence and athletic prowess. A school with with mid western values who competes solidly with integrity. I'm sorry if thats not sexy.

To your point SA and TL had a body of work that justified being hired and I think you make that call every day. Point being, past performance tends to be indicative of future results. Didn't work but there was more than a last name on the resume justifying the decision. IIRC the board was rather dissatisfied with TL playing his son at the end but now we're supposed to fall all over ourselves with joy that a coach with a slightly better than mediocre record hand picks his son to cut his chops as the OC.

In a nutshell it's the process I am so totally dissatisfied with. The university gives the ferentz family a toy worth well north of $100 million virtually no questions asked. Barta caves in after the undefeated regular season and gave a lifetime contract after publicly saying he wouldn't do that again. I really don't know what the value of the football team is but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's worth enough to justify even a sham vetting process if not a full blown search.

Since neither of us are going to change our perception further discourse seems fruitless at this time. We'll just have to wait and see what the facts tell us.

Just show me the last QB coach that KF paid 540K, like he did O'Keefe. And if it's possible to pay a small position group coach that kind of money, with that kind of experience, why isn't all of our staff treated accordingly? God knows we should be throwing Fort Know at a good WR coach.
Why is it so important what O'Keefe is being paid. I'm assuming your not being asked to pony up your share so? The guy has vast experience at both the college and NFL levels. Again if it appears that BF has to be spoon fed, and isn't the guy doing the job, I'll be as disappointed as anyone here. I just tend to think we'll be pleased with the job he does. I really think this is a no lose scenario for you. If BF does well, it should elevate Iowa's play overall and level of success. I'm assuming you really DO want the hawks to win, although it's hard to tell it by your posts sometimes. If BF tanks as the OC then you and the others who love to bash anything Ferentz related will get their wish in the next few years, there will be a new coach that you can find fault with. Its all good!

To your point SA and TL had a body of work that justified being hired and I think you make that call every day. Point being, past performance tends to be indicative of future results. Didn't work but there was more than a last name on the resume justifying the decision. IIRC the board was rather dissatisfied with TL playing his son at the end but now we're supposed to fall all over ourselves with joy that a coach with a slightly better than mediocre record hand picks his son to cut his chops as the OC.

In a nutshell it's the process I am so totally dissatisfied with. The university gives the ferentz family a toy worth well north of $100 million virtually no questions asked. Barta caves in after the undefeated regular season and gave a lifetime contract after publicly saying he wouldn't do that again. I really don't know what the value of the football team is but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's worth enough to justify even a sham vetting process if not a full blown search.

Since neither of us are going to change our perception further discourse seems fruitless at this time. We'll just have to wait and see what the facts tell us.
is this related to the Meyer trial?

You are also the person who thinks Sandusky is innocent. That tells me all we need to know...

I am definitely a person who believes all are innocent until proven guilty.
having said that.... I encourage all to do their own research and form their own opinions... you don't have to believe something just because somebody else believes it...
and its ok to believe differently then somebody else, too.

and you say "we".... as in an organization?... you represent a group of people?
who, may I ask, is this group that you represent?

$1.4 million is nothing for the U of Iowa. It's roughly 8 years salary for Meyer. An A/D that screws up repeatedly is another story. It's time for change.

$1.4 million is nothing for the U of Iowa. It's roughly 8 years salary for Meyer. An A/D that screws up repeatedly is another story. It's time for change.
everything I have seen from Barta has been good...
in this particular case... the Meyer Trial... you have to blame the attorney's... its their game.... its their ball court... they do all the dribbling... its on them to win and lose.
not Barta... not Meyer... the Lawyers play the game.

No way I thought Meyer would win. Might as well try to settle the other case. Much stronger case IMO. While different juries may cause a different result why risk the further pub.

everything I have seen from Barta has been good...
in this particular case... the Meyer Trial... you have to blame the attorney's... its their game.... its their ball court... they do all the dribbling... its on them to win and lose.
not Barta... not Meyer... the Lawyers play the game.

Yes it was up to lawyers to win this case but they had to play with the cards they were dealt. Had Barta kept records of several things that came up in this trial the outcome might have been different. The fact that Iowa lost the case is de facto proof that he screwed up.
As for Bart's larger body of work, he may be good at fundraising (which I contend Mickey Mouse could do at Iowa)but he's had more than his share of bad moments.

Reactions: themelrosemauler
I am curious how the jurors felt she proved her case. It was on her to prove this. Don't see how she did that.

Yes it was up to lawyers to win this case but they had to play with the cards they were dealt. Had Barta kept records of several things that came up in this trial the outcome might have been different. The fact that Iowa lost the case is de facto proof that he screwed up.
As for Bart's larger body of work, he may be good at fundraising (which I contend Mickey Mouse could do at Iowa)but he's had more than his share of bad moments.

that is an extremely wild claim to make...
if he kept records of what exactly?..... how in the world does this prove him guilty... and guilty of what?

that is an extremely wild claim to make...
if he kept records of what exactly?..... how in the world does this prove him guilty... and guilty of what?

I'm referring back to what a number of others talked about in earlier testimony. I'd have to refer back for details, but there were things he should/could have documented (as good employment and HR practices dictate) that would have clarified Meyer's incompetence and the complaints related to her. As it was...much of that was only verbal during the trial. The proverbial paper trail...is always valuable.

Either way... she won her case, so somebody or bodies...screwed up. And there's little doubt that Barta is one of the main players.

I'm referring back to what a number of others talked about in earlier testimony. I'd have to refer back for details, but there were things he should/could have documented (as good employment and HR practices dictate) that would have clarified Meyer's incompetence and the complaints related to her. As it was...much of that was only verbal during the trial. The proverbial paper trail...is always valuable.

Either way... she won her case, so somebody or bodies...screwed up. And there's little doubt that Barta is one of the main players.

the court room is about the Lawyers...
and quite frankly... I don't care...
Jane Meyer scammed the University for a million dollars... woopee..

from everything I've seen and read, Gary Barta has always been a good representative for the University of Iowa...

I don't see any reason to criticize him... he's done fantastic job and will continue to do so.

some folks act like they want the guy fired... and even hung...

you're not going that far, are you?

I ask because it seems an obsession with some folks.... fire everybody...

but the lesbians

the court room is about the Lawyers...
and quite frankly... I don't care...
Jane Meyer scammed the University for a million dollars... woopee..

from everything I've seen and read, Gary Barta has always been a good representative for the University of Iowa...

I don't see any reason to criticize him... he's done fantastic job and will continue to do so.

some folks act like they want the guy fired... and even hung...

you're not going that far, are you?

I ask because it seems an obsession with some folks.... fire everybody...

but the lesbians

Hung? Come on, man. Your credibility just dropped a ways with that one.

I agree that Meyer just played the system, no doubt. It pisses me off. My point is that it was probably preventable...and in some way Barta is in that discussion. He is after all...the "athletic director".

I have nothing personal against Barta, he seems like a good guy. But he's made his share of gaffes. Surely you know that.

Hung? Come on, man. Your credibility just dropped a ways with that one.

I agree that Meyer just played the system, no doubt. It pisses me off. My point is that it was probably preventable...and in some way Barta is in that discussion. He is after all...the "athletic director".

I have nothing personal against Barta, he seems like a good guy. But he's made his share of gaffes. Surely you know that.

I certainly don't expect him to be perfect...
but I don't hold him accountable for what happened with this trial...

this is life, man..... you can't control everything.

and.... I don't desire credibility with you... or the people you represent.
perhaps you would like to address my question?
who are the people that you are speaking for?

I certainly don't expect him to be perfect...
but I don't hold him accountable for what happened with this trial...

this is life, man..... you can't control everything.

and.... I don't desire credibility with you... or the people you represent.
perhaps you would like to address my question?
who are the people that you are speaking for?

Can't control everything for sure I agree. But I think it's reasonable that the athletic director by definition, carries a pretty good deal of responsibility for what happens within the athletic department. That's all. I tend to respect leadership that has a " the buck stops here" kind of mentality

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT