ADVERTISEMENT

I think we have a great chance at Xavier Foster & DJ Carton; but what if we strike out on 1 or both?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
DJ might be a 5 star by the time summer is over. Xavier is a 5 star already. Both have many offers to consider.

Both are Iowa kids. Tom Davis was criticized losing Iowa kids to blue blood programs. What will happen if we lose DJ to another school? And then if we lose Xavier to another school? Well, this board might melt down, but what else?

If we land 1 or both, we could see some really good basketball in our future. If we don't land either, the program probably will be spinning its wheels and in the middle of the pack in the B1G and I am afraid public confidence in Fran will be much less.

In the fall of 2020, this could be our roster if we land DJ and Xavier (5 IOWA KIDS):

C 5* Xaxier Foster
C 4* Luka Garza
F 4* Patrick McCaffery
F 4* Joe Wieskamp
F 3* Jack Nunge
G 4* DJ Carton
G 4* Connor McCaffery
G 3* CJ Fredrick

Both these guys are guys that Fran really needs to land in order to show that Iowa basketball: (1) is indisputably the best program in the state; and (2) really does intend to compete at the top of the B1G and become nationally relevant.

Miss on both and... while not a disaster, it will signal more of the same. Land one and we’re still good. Land both and it makes a strong statement that the program is headed up.

Both these guys are guys that Fran really needs to land in order to show that Iowa basketball: (1) is indisputably the best program in the state; and (2) really does intend to compete at the top of the B1G and become nationally relevant.

Miss on both and... while not a disaster, it will signal more of the same. Land one and we’re still good. Land both and it makes a strong statement that the program is headed up.
i think it will be extremely painful if we lose both; man, we have to keep the instate talent in the Hawkeye state; Fran has to be able to show these guys that his program is a great fit for both players;

DJ is good friends with Joe and Patrick so hopefully that helps

If we don't have a good season in 2018/2019, that might be the final nail in losing Foster

Think of the national buzz if we land DJ; and then maybe that momentum will lead to landing Foster

Foster has a ways to go before he reaches that status. Right now his ranking is based purely on potential and not on substance...which is why his offer count isn't higher. If he starts to achieve more of that potential, than he becomes one of those landmark recruits that will generate angst if he goes elsewhere.

Foster has a ways to go before he reaches that status. Right now his ranking is based purely on potential and not on substance...which is why his offer count isn't higher. If he starts to achieve more of that potential, than he becomes one of those landmark recruits that will generate angst if he goes elsewhere.

I know little to nothing about his situation, but he seems like a possible-to-probable candidate to go to a big time prep school? Something similar to a Findlay prep, Oak Hill, etc(not those schools specifically)? Idk that, just thinking out loud in the sense of he has the frame/base and they theoretically could maximize his development. Somethin I'm watching

Would be super pumped for Iowa to land one or both but won't let it dampen my enthusiasm if both choose to go elsewhere.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Unfortunately, it's going to leave a bad smell if he can't get at least one of them.

DJ might be a 5 star by the time summer is over. Xavier is a 5 star already. Both have many offers to consider.

Both are Iowa kids. Tom Davis was criticized losing Iowa kids to blue blood programs. What will happen if we lose DJ to another school? And then if we lose Xavier to another school? Well, this board might melt down, but what else?

If we land 1 or both, we could see some really good basketball in our future. If we don't land either, the program probably will be spinning its wheels and in the middle of the pack in the B1G and I am afraid public confidence in Fran will be much less.

In the fall of 2020, this could be our roster if we land DJ and Xavier (5 IOWA KIDS):

C 5* Xaxier Foster
C 4* Luka Garza
F 4* Patrick McCaffery
F 4* Joe Wieskamp
F 3* Jack Nunge
G 4* DJ Carton
G 4* Connor McCaffery
G 3* CJ Fredrick
That would be nice indeed, but I would have given CJ four stars based on his in-state accomplishments. Man, when I see this I get goosebumps.

Iowa isn' the best program in the state and it isn't close.

Reactions: Hayes_30
It is fairly easy to recruit against Iowa right now. Adversaries will strategically position Fran on the hotseaat and question program stability. The hawks have to have a very good year on the court to project stability, and it still may be too late for the Osky & Quad Cities kids.

i think it will be extremely painful if we lose both; man, we have to keep the instate talent in the Hawkeye state; Fran has to be able to show these guys that his program is a great fit for both players;

DJ is good friends with Joe and Patrick so hopefully that helps

If we don't have a good season in 2018/2019, that might be the final nail in losing Foster

Think of the national buzz if we land DJ; and then maybe that momentum will lead to landing Foster
Unfortunately the Blue-Bloods come sniffing around whenever this state produces any major talent.

We were fortunate to land Woodbury & Gesell(yes, from SSC Ne.) They were good friends with Macus Paige but obviously Paige decided to head East.

If Tom Davis can be criticized for losing Iowa kids to blue bloods he should also get credit for landing Iowa kids. No coach since has come close to landing as many good Iowa players.

Davis lost one guy..Raef. He never had a chance with the other two as he was a lame duck. Every other top kid from the state went to Iowa or Iowa State. I guess if you want to include the Wessels kid that went to Arizona its two. Street, Settles, Bowen, Millard, Oliver, Davis, etc.

C 5* Xaxier Foster
C 4* Luka Garza
F 4* Patrick McCaffery
F 4* Joe Wieskamp
F 3* Jack Nunge
G 4* DJ Carton
G 4* Connor McCaffery
G 3* CJ Fredrick
Dr. Tom had plenty of Iowa kids on his rosters. Problem was that he missed on most of the really high profile players(except Ricky Davis).

Iowa might well get both, which would be a great haul. I realize there are many possibilities, but if Iowa got neither of the two recruits, which of these scenarios would be the worst?

A) Royboy sneaks in and takes them both to UNC but you never play them.
B) They both go to other Big Ten Schools and you have to play against them multiple times each year.
C) They both go to Iowa State and you have to play them once per year.

With every passing week, DJ Carton is going to get bigger offers. Michigan offered this last week and the blue bloods are circling. I really don't think we have a reasonable shot at Carton.

Iowa might well get both, which would be a great haul. I realize there are many possibilities, but if Iowa got neither of the two recruits, which of these scenarios would be the worst?

A) Royboy sneaks in and takes them both to UNC but you never play them.
B) They both go to other Big Ten Schools and you have to play against them multiple times each year.
C) They both go to Iowa State and you have to play them once per year.
ISU won't get both, but I think they have a good shot at one of them.

Reactions: luctjohnson18
Unfortunately the Blue-Bloods come sniffing around whenever this state produces any major talent.

We were fortunate to land Woodbury & Gesell(yes, from SSC Ne.) They were good friends with Macus Paige but obviously Paige decided to head East.

When the big boys come around I doubt ISU gets anything other than a courtesy flush.

FWIW - A friend of mine is a close friend of the Fosters'. He told me Xavier wants to be a Hawk. He is Iowa's to lose. BTW, I believe my friend. Has has never lied to me.
Hope your right. He's a special talent and will only get better. Not the type of guy Iowa usually lands

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT