ADVERTISEMENT

If you ever wanted to see what the “soft bigotry of low expectations” looked like…

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
…this is it. Holy hell. Saw this shared about what an Illinois school district plans on doing. Disclaimer: No. I’m not “outraged”. Just thought this was kinda…well…stupid. Apparently we need to just accept that black kids will act bad, miss class and not do their work. So, you can’t include that stuff into their grade.

“Well, Mrs. Davis…little Joey hardly ever showed up to class, never did any work and assaulted a classmate the other day. Luckily none of that matters because we have extremely low expectations of your entire family. Here’s his A+.”

In an effort to equalize test scores among racial groups, OPRF will order its teachers to exclude from their grading assessments variables it says disproportionally hurt the grades of black students. They can no longer be docked for missing class, misbehaving in school or failing to turn in their assignments, according to the plan.

This is awesome. I pondered for years how we could fight implicit bias and systemic racism. Great first step in education.

…this is it. Holy hell. Saw this shared about what an Illinois school district plans on doing. Disclaimer: No. I’m not “outraged”. Just thought this was kinda…well…stupid. Apparently we need to just accept that black kids will act bad, miss class and not do their work. So, you can’t include that stuff into their grade.

“Well, Mrs. Davis…little Joey hardly ever showed up to class, never did any work and assaulted a classmate the other day. Luckily none of that matters because we have extremely low expectations of your entire family. Here’s his A+.”

In an effort to equalize test scores among racial groups, OPRF will order its teachers to exclude from their grading assessments variables it says disproportionally hurt the grades of black students. They can no longer be docked for missing class, misbehaving in school or failing to turn in their assignments, according to the plan.
As a teacher in Illinois....um, yeah, I hate this crap. It is crippling kids. Fortunately, my district isn't this extreme but some of the state laws that have been passed have not been helpful.

The issue is there are definite differences in racial equity when it comes to success in schools. Because the issues that are causing this can't really be addressed easily, laws like this are created to make it seem like progress is being made to equitable treatment in schools without actually having to accomplish anything. This is one of the things that I think is crippling kids.

Last edited:
As a teacher in Illinois....um, yeah, I hate this crap. It is crippling kids. Fortunately, my district isn't this extreme but some of the state laws that have been passed have not been helpful.

The issue is there are definite differences in racial equity when it comes to success in schools. Because the issues that are causing this can't really be addressed easily, laws like this are created to make it seem like progress is being made to equitable treatment in schools without actually having to accomplish everything. This is one of the things that I think is crippling kids.
Yup. The only equity being created here is they are equating “no consequences for bad choices” with “good grades”.

Too lazy to link, but school district website completely denies any truth to this.

That will really prepare them for life won’t it!!!?

That will really prepare them for life won’t it!!!?
Yeah. I don’t get it. I’ve always felt (and my kids parents have appreciated it) that the best thing you can do for a kid is to make them understand the value of making good choices and the consequences of making bad ones. And helping them make the right choice when the wrong one is easier. This seems to be the exact opposite.

I don’t know the veracity of the story but this is where education is headed.
hiw do you make sure no child gets left behind? Make sure it’s impossible to fail.

Seems like a lot of people are reading into this story whatever they wish to believe about black students. As I read through the OP, my impression was that everybody was going to get graded/evaluated based on their test performance almost exclusively. The grading system is going to leave out some elements that disproportionately impact black student.

Yes, we can argue the merits of this approach (and I’m not sure myself, whether this is ultimately in the kid’s best interest) but it does seem clear enough that white, brown, yellow and purple kids will all be graded on the same set of criteria; it’s just that some elements will be ignored for everyone.

Not sure what has some of you folks all up in arms about this.

Seems like a lot of people are reading into this story whatever they wish to believe about black students. As I read through the OP, my impression was that everybody was going to get graded/evaluated based on their test performance almost exclusively. The grading system is going to leave out some elements that disproportionately impact black student.

Yes, we can argue the merits of this approach (and I’m not sure myself, whether this is ultimately in the kid’s best interest) but it does seem clear enough that white, brown, yellow and purple kids will all be graded on the same set of criteria; it’s just that some elements will be ignored for everyone.

So they are dumbing it down for everyone because some can’t keep up?

Already posted above but it appears nobody saw:

We have to do better in this world of disinformation and social media. It is so easy to twist and spread false stories….to millions who never know the truth. Rinse and repeat. It’s how you end up like Russia folks.

Critical Race Theory teaches us most of the things that traditionally result in good grades are tools of white imperialism. By striking down punctuality, paying attention in class, turn assignments in on time, etc., the school is striking a blow against racism.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79
Critical Race Theory teaches us most of the things that traditionally result in good grades are tools of white imperialism. By striking down punctuality, paying attention in class, turn assignments in on time, etc., the school is striking a blow against racism.
No, it doesn't. You've clearly never taken a college course that deals with Critical Race Theory. Or is this satire?

As should be assumed when these types of stories are pushed, more lies from the slime machine:

Already posted above but it appears nobody saw:

We have to do better in this world of disinformation and social media. It is so easy to twist and spread false stories….to millions who never know the truth. Rinse and repeat. It’s how you end up like Russia folks.
When will OP learn to dig more critically into these stories before posting? The irony of this thread title too, knowing why he was so eager to believe it.

The issue is there are definite differences in racial equity when it comes to success in schools. Because the issues that are causing this can't really be addressed easily, laws like this are created to make it seem like progress is being made to equitable treatment in schools without actually having to accomplish anything. This is one of the things that I think is crippling kids.
Actually solving the problem is very difficult, so what does the government do, they pass a law so the problem can be legally ignored. This is another step toward destroying society. How can a company or organization or the student himself know if the student actually earned a degree or was simply given it. To think someone actually believes this is progress.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT