ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Coach/players post game pressser

Connor on what happened at the end.

He basically says there was no beef between the players, but the post game hoopla happened because the refs let Illinois slap him up without calling a foul. I don't love Connor talking about the refs in public, but I have to agree with him.

If you're a ref, call the damn foul. They were trying to foul. IMO opinion, the party with the most fault in the post-game fiasco were the referees.

Watch it on YouTube, Brad praises Iowa and Fran to the high heavens. He is incredibly complimentary and when asked about what happened with chirping, pushing and the handshake line; his response was, that’s life in the B10, no big deal.

Watch it on YouTube, Brad praises Iowa and Fran to the high heavens. He is incredibly complimentary and when asked about what happened with chirping, pushing and the handshake line; his response was, that’s life in the B10, no big deal.

Agreed. I liked his demeanor. Pretty transparent guy. Saying we need to hit Luka on every possession and they will do that on March 8th was surprising to hear. It wasn’t coach speak.

He basically says there was no beef between the players, but the post game hoopla happened because the refs let Illinois slap him up without calling a foul. I don't love Connor talking about the refs in public, but I have to agree with him.

If you're a ref, call the damn foul. They were trying to foul. IMO opinion, the party with the most fault in the post-game fiasco were the referees.
I have no problem with him calling out the refs :D

If there is a bang bang play, I get it.....reffing can be tough. Those fouls were obvious as shit, no excuse for that crap!

how often does a coach put the opponent down and talk crap about them?

Connor has an edge but knows how to handle himself. Think he’s gonna be a coach himself sometime in the future.

how often does a coach put the opponent down and talk crap about them?
Probably never. But at the same time, there are plenty of occasions where the losing coach has very little positive to say about the other team and instead focuses on how his own team came up short.

"We didn't execute today" or "We came out flat", implying that the only reason they lost was their own effort, not the positive things done by the winning team.

Ok but why was the Illinois assistant talking shit to Fran? He seemed pissed about something.

Sorry not impressed with Underwood. No reason to call a time out with 4 seconds left down 7 unless you want to instigate something with the other team. Total classless, bush league move.
I agree, not a fan of how Underwood coaches his teams. It was the same hack attack at OSU.

Reactions: GeorgePeeples
Ok but why was the Illinois assistant talking shit to Fran? He seemed pissed about something.

After watching the ending a couple of times I think the assistant coach saw a phantom elbow from Conner. Conner was twitching with the ball and the coach had a blocked view.

Reactions: gojojo
If I’m Underwood I’d be PO’ed at the two assistants. If I felt something needed to be started that could paint my program in a negative light I’m going to be at the head of it. Especially after I already went through the line and had no issues.

"We didn't execute today" or "We came out flat", implying that the only reason they lost was their own effort, not the positive things done by the winning team.
I get why coaches do that though. They spend all of their time focusing on their players and what they can control. It can be hard to switch gears to praising your opponent right after a loss when all you can think about is what you need to do in practice the next few days.

Sorry not impressed with Underwood. No reason to call a time out with 4 seconds left down 7 unless you want to instigate something with the other team. Total classless, bush league move.
Underwood knew they weren't going to win at that point. He may have just seen it as an opportunity to work on something that might matter in a future game if they're down 1-3 points with a few seconds left. I know you practice those situations at least once a week, but it's hard to replicate the intensity of a game. What went down at the end is on the refs for not officiating to the end.

Please, enough with the hack attack complaints on teams like michigan state, wiscy, and now Illinois. That's what the refs are for. If you don't like physical basketball, don't follow a big ten team. Please, it just sounds lame.
Please, enough with the hack attack complaints on teams like michigan state, wiscy, and now Illinois. That's what the refs are for. If you don't like physical basketball, don't follow a big ten team. Please, it just sounds lame.
Sorry, but I prefer hard played basketball not basketbrawl and a free throw contest

I don’t know about the coach, but the Illinois boards are all about the referees costing the Illini the game Garza and Connor are thugs as well.

I thought he gave great answers.
I like B Underwood, he has his team playing really good BB.
That was a great game to watch, both teams got after it. It was fun
Agreed! Illini fan here. This was an outstanding game. Obviously I wish my Illini would have won but I must tip my hat to the Hawkeyes as Garza & company were top notch down the stretch. Kudos to you guys on the win.

See ya in Champaign

If I’m Underwood I’d be PO’ed at the two assistants. If I felt something needed to be started that could paint my program in a negative light I’m going to be at the head of it. Especially after I already went through the line and had no issues.
Really? That’s what he was so hot about? I saw a twitch from Conner but no elbow.

Underwood knew they weren't going to win at that point. He may have just seen it as an opportunity to work on something that might matter in a future game if they're down 1-3 points with a few seconds left. I know you practice those situations at least once a week, but it's hard to replicate the intensity of a game. What went down at the end is on the refs for not officiating to the end.
Pretty intense game, and by extending it unnecessarily leaves the door open for chippi nonsense. Work on your inbound defense when your up by 20 against NW.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

There was video I saw on Twitter near the Iowa bench as everyone was coming off the floor. He let one of his assistants have it. No reason for those coaches to act that way and Fran was right to call our guys off. That could have gotten ugly.

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
I'm pretty sure the assistant told fran "that's bullshit" twice referring to Weiskamp dunking at the end instead of dribbling it out

I'm pretty sure the assistant told fran "that's bullshit" twice referring to Weiskamp dunking at the end instead of dribbling it out

If that's what he's complaining about, then he can get bent.

Also, if 20 year old old players have to answer tv interview questions following games, why do refs not have to answer questions?

Affect the outcome more than anyone on the floor and exit out the backdoor of the arena.

We are above the bottom feeding posers. They were salty about losing after winning 7 in a row. We traded blows with them and backed up our trash talk with a tough win!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT