ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois vs. Clones

Definitely not a successful for season by ISU at all.

This was your year. This was your one chance.

To not even make it as far as your seeding in this tournament makes your season one big turd.

Oh well, maybe you’ll make the Final 4 in the 2100’s. 😂

Iowa State wasn’t going to beat UConn. I mean this is just extremely poor trolling. Not funny, not realistic.

Illini had some athletes that made finishing shots around the basket difficult and affected the shots. I didn't see 25 layups--i saw a lot of contorted runners around the basket. Illini are also a very good rebounding team, so not a lot of second chances--you only got 8 offensive rebounds and Illini had 29 defensive rebounds.

Your team was great defensively, loffensively challenged, and you didn't lose because you missed a bunch of layups. Illini think about the missed FTs that kept ISU in the game.

You seem to think I’m taking something away from Illinois. They had a better game plan than Iowa State and executed better. Nobody has done better than Illinois against Iowa State’s trap and they consistently got open looks out of it.

FT’s were something Iowa State could have taken advantage of or Shannon being in foul trouble. didn’t do it. Now you tip your cap and move on.

The 11/25 on layups came from Jeff Borzello’s Twitter. Many of the shots were contested but if you aren’t making the close ones and you aren’t getting in transition as Iowa State you are very beatable.

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Definitely not a successful for season by ISU at all.

This was your year. This was your one chance.

To not even make it as far as your seeding in this tournament makes your season one big turd.

Oh well, maybe you’ll make the Final 4 in the 2100’s. 😂
Such a little brother troll.

Two Sweet 16s in three years. Let that sink in.

Next year is the one I've had circled.

Going to throw this out there. Iowa States top 6 players last night and where they came from. Lipsey, homegrown, Ames guy who was always going to Iowa State. Tre King. Transfer from Eastern Kentucky. Yes, Eastern Kentucky. Robert Jones. Transfer from Denver. Gilbert. UNLV. Momcilovich. Highly regarded Freshman. Curtis Jones. Buffalo. This is called coaching. None of these transfers came from highly regarded schools. Buffalo, Eastern KY, UNLV, Denver. Mixed in w/a few recruits. These guys bought into defense and team play. That's not a very talented team, honestly, especially offensively. The fact they did as well as they did is defense and coaching.
It's also an example of how you can recruit solid out of state transfer players to Iowa from lower levels if you actually put in the effort to find them.

So many times Fran sets his sights on the moon, strikes out and then just offers a guy from Iowa.

That's not a good strategy.

Reactions: HawkLogic

Almost as little brother as constantly saying "sweet 16" like that is a measuring stick for anyone not living in Ames. Iowa still has more by the way, just like Final Fours, Elite 8's, and tournament appearances.

Reactions: bobchawk
Almost as little brother as constantly saying "sweet 16" like that is a measuring stick for anyone not living in Ames. Iowa still has more by the way, just like Final Fours, Elite 8's, and tournament appearances.
I find as funny as well in bball they measure sweet 16 and elite 8 and final 4---how many elite 4 does Bama or OSU have in fball?
Now with the diluted CFP picture we will have a whole new batch of schools beginning to say--we have made the CFP 3 of the last 5 yrs--nevermind that that you got rocked in the first round and out--you were just able to get in on some new metric to get it to 12 or 16 teams.
Big 12 ==OK. got to the final championship game a couple of times and then got worked in that game--do we remember them getting to the game or do we remember that they really should not have been there to begin with?

Picked in the middle of the league. Finished all along in second and won the tournament.

Didn't get a vote in the pre-season polls. In the most recent one, they were 4th.

Weren't expected to make the NCAA tournament. Went to the Sweet Sixteen and were within a basket of the Elite Eight.

Beat Kansas when KU was healthy. Clobbered Iowa. Beat Houston twice.

Yeah, us Cyclone fans are really bitter and disappointed about how the season went.

Going to throw this out there. Iowa States top 6 players last night and where they came from. Lipsey, homegrown, Ames guy who was always going to Iowa State. Tre King. Transfer from Eastern Kentucky. Yes, Eastern Kentucky. Robert Jones. Transfer from Denver. Gilbert. UNLV. Momcilovich. Highly regarded Freshman. Curtis Jones. Buffalo. This is called coaching. None of these transfers came from highly regarded schools. Buffalo, Eastern KY, UNLV, Denver. Mixed in w/a few recruits. These guys bought into defense and team play. That's not a very talented team, honestly, especially offensively. The fact they did as well as they did is defense and coaching.
“This is called coaching”? It may be good “team building” but “coaching”?

Late games last night were both great games. Nelson almost single-handedly beat NC in the last few minutes of that game. Incredible performance.

ISU and Illannoy was a great match up. ISU is tough as nails, although watching them play is sometimes like watching a pinball machine with all of the contact. I think Illannoy has a better chance to take down UConn, although I wouldn't predict it. They have size, athleticism, and talent. I sometimes wonder if their big men, Dainja and Hawkins, have much between the ears, but Illannoy is capable of beating anyone if they play smart and make FTs. Hard to stop their guards, and they pound the boards.

I was surprised that Dainja was kept on the court in the last minute, and very surprised that ISU wasn't fouling him, although Shannon was off on FTs last night.

“This is called coaching”? It may be good “team building” but “coaching”?
Clearly. What don’t you understand? The only school even considered a mid major is UNLV. Possibly Buffalo. Denver is an awful program and Eastern KY is a low major. These were not 4 star guys that transferred in from other power programs. And they played well over their talent level all season. You knew how they would do in the tournament would come down to playing enough good offense and they couldn’t. So yes, it’s damn good coaching.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Clearly. What don’t you understand? The only school even considered a mid major is UNLV. Possibly Buffalo. Denver is an awful program and Eastern KY is a low major. These were not 4 star guys that transferred in from other power programs. And they played well over their talent level all season. You knew how they would do in the tournament would come down to playing enough good offense and they couldn’t. So yes, it’s damn good coaching.
Oh I understand. I was a college coach. Roster development is part of the job requirement but I don’t consider it “coaching”. And if this is all there is to “coaching” anymore I think it is quite sad. I know you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit but I’d still like to think “coaching” is still teaching.

Last edited:
Oh I understand. I was a college coach. Roster development is part of the job requirement but I don’t consider it “coaching”. And if this is all there is to “coaching” anymore I think it is quite sad. I know you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit but I’d still like to think “coaching” is still teaching.
Isn’t coaching getting a bunch of kids to buy into your system and also play as hard as they can for you? Why does it matter if they’re transfers or 4 year guys?

I think everybody on the roster who played maximized their skill/talent level. I’d consider that coaching.

Reactions: littlez
It's crazy how mad everyone was that we lost to Illinois in our final regular season game seeing they're now in the Elite 8, we really had no business beating them. It's funny everyone wants to dog Fran's in game coaching and our roster. If our roster is so terrible, how could anyone expect us to beat Illinois? If his in game coaching is so terrible, how could anyone expect us to beat Illinois?

You don't think ISU is well coached on defense?

Because they clearly are.

Getting your team to perform is what coaching is.

ISU was able to chip away when Shannon was out but needed to do more. IL was horrendous from the line. Shannon can get to the rim anytime.
Clemson says hi….they held AZ to 37% shooting last night . Defense wins championships this time of year. And good guard play
Add in the fact that the top 2 defensive teams in the Big 12 finished…….1 and 2. Your premise is severely flawed.

Nothing against ISU as they had a really good season but Illinois should have put them away from the foul line but gagged and kept them in the game. They will need all the FTs they can to stay with UConn.

Late games last night were both great games. Nelson almost single-handedly beat NC in the last few minutes of that game. Incredible performance.

ISU and Illannoy was a great match up. ISU is tough as nails, although watching them play is sometimes like watching a pinball machine with all of the contact. I think Illannoy has a better chance to take down UConn, although I wouldn't predict it. They have size, athleticism, and talent. I sometimes wonder if their big men, Dainja and Hawkins, have much between the ears, but Illannoy is capable of beating anyone if they play smart and make FTs. Hard to stop their guards, and they pound the boards.

I was surprised that Dainja was kept on the court in the last minute, and very surprised that ISU wasn't fouling him, although Shannon was off on FTs last night.
I don't think the IL guards are that great as an whole and why they will not win it all IMHO. Domask is obviously very good and all BT 1st team, but not much to get excited over after him...luckily for the ILlini Shannon and Hawkins handle the rock very well for their heights.

was just looking at some brackets and realized that most big 12 teams got taken out by lower seeds, might not bode well for houston tonite--maybe change my bet,
even AZ taken out by lower seed,

Maybe Pitino was right after all.........

You don't think ISU is well coached on defense?

Because they clearly are.

Getting your team to perform is what coaching is.
You and littlez don’t get my pount. I think isubryce did. Littlez made a point that ISU had 6 transfers from small schools and said “this is what coaching is”. My only point is there is a lot more to coaching than just grabbing a bunch of transfer players. Yes, they are well coached on defense and THAT is exactly my point.

You and littlez don’t get my pount. I think isubryce did. Littlez made a point that ISU had 6 transfers from small schools and said “this is what coaching is”. My only point is there is a lot more to coaching than just grabbing a bunch of transfer players. Yes, they are well coached on defense and THAT is exactly my point.
OK, I guess I misunderstood your point.

Kudos to Illinois. They played well and deserved to win. ISU didn't shoot well, but I think that was a function of IL's defense. IL seemed to handle ISUs defensive pressure and double teams pretty well. ISU wasn't able to get much going off turnovers.

ISU has a chance down the stretch, but IL made the plays while ISU didn't. At this point in the tournament, anyone can beat anyone. Seeds don't matter much.

Disappointing to lose, but overall great season. Looking forward to next season.
We all would like a fix to Iowa’s current issues. That is not happening so we have to rely on the next best thing., Hating ISU.

I don't think the IL guards are that great as an whole and why they will not win it all IMHO. Domask is obviously very good and all BT 1st team, but not much to get excited over after him...luckily for the ILlini Shannon and Hawkins handle the rock very well for their heights.
Shannon is listed as a guard too. Illinois had both their guards make 1st team All B10.. If they don't win it all it's because their defense is ranked 100th and no team with a defense worse than Ken Pom 37 has ever won the title.

Shannon is their alpha dog and Hawkins is freakish. Great ball handler for size. They have 4 in rotation above 36% from 3.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Shannon is listed as a guard too. Illinois had both their guards make 1st team All B10.. If they don't win it all it's because their defense is ranked 100th and no team with a defense worse than Ken Pom 37 has ever won the title.
Thanks for that - had no idea he was listed as a guard. I saw Ayo the other nite, and Shannon is a clone….so the Illini will have another player in the League which bodes well for their recruiting…🙁

I believe the point he was trying to make is that the players the ISU coach had assembled were not "big time". Despite this, the clowns did very well during the season and in the tournament. He wasn't saying the assembly of the team was good coaching, he was saying the fact that these lesser-regarded players did so well was the evidence of good coaching.

You seem to think I’m taking something away from Illinois. They had a better game plan than Iowa State and executed better. Nobody has done better than Illinois against Iowa State’s trap and they consistently got open looks out of it.

FT’s were something Iowa State could have taken advantage of or Shannon being in foul trouble. didn’t do it. Now you tip your cap and move on.

The 11/25 on layups came from Jeff Borzello’s Twitter. Many of the shots were contested but if you aren’t making the close ones and you aren’t getting in transition as Iowa State you are very beatable.

You seem like a reasonable, good guy---not trolling you. When I see a made up stat like ISU shooting 11'/25 layups, that is what I take issue with. Also it does strike me as a way of minimizing the loss---like implying freak bad luck that the easy layups were missed, otherwide ISU wins.

You have a twitter guy that came up with his own definition of a layup and his own boxscore----I don't see that stat as reliable. I watched the game. The one King missed on the alley oop was a missed layup. I didn't see 13 other supposed missed layups. Van Gundy the announcer was commenting on the high degree of difficulty in many of the shots that ISU was taking in the paint....I agree with Van Gundy, and I am not agreeing with your twitter guy Jeff Borzello who I've never heard of anyway.

I was impressed with ISU defense and they had tenacity. I can see why ISU fans so happy and yeah, hard for me to be happy for ISU.

You seem like a reasonable, good guy---not trolling you. When I see a made up stat like ISU shooting 11'/25 layups, that is what I take issue with. Also it does strike me as a way of minimizing the loss---like implying freak bad luck that the easy layups were missed, otherwide ISU wins.

You have a twitter guy that came up with his own definition of a layup and his own boxscore----I don't see that stat as reliable. I watched the game. The one King missed on the alley oop was a missed layup. I didn't see 13 other supposed missed layups. Van Gundy the announcer was commenting on the high degree of difficulty in many of the shots that ISU was taking in the paint....I agree with Van Gundy, and I am not agreeing with your twitter guy Jeff Borzello who I've never heard of anyway.

I was impressed with ISU defense and they had tenacity. I can see why ISU fans so happy and yeah, hard for me to be happy for ISU.
the whole rating scheme is flawed--there is an article out now about the NET scores and most do not understand how it is put together--so they are again going to put less emphasis on the NET score--funny stuff.
let alone some stat like 11/25 lay ups--just amazing what metrics are tossed around now in sporting events--and the refs--do not get started--hell they were bitching about the refs in the super bowl and the first qtr was not over ...
sort of why I watch a lot less than what I used to--golf is still mano to mano--no time clock--no ref-

was just looking at some brackets and realized that most big 12 teams got taken out by lower seeds, might not bode well for houston tonite--maybe change my bet,
even AZ taken out by lower seed,

Maybe Pitino was right after all.........
All of the Big 12 teams lost to lower seeds.

• Haha
Reactions: shudaddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT