ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting development, only three Big 12 schools refused to....

MesaClone

HR All-State
Aug 20, 2002
...commit to a new GOR extension amongst the remaining eight Big 12 teams at a conference zoom meeting today (which could not be signed until a new contract was reached...but the idea was a "commitment" to such).

The general idea of such a move being to look at bringing in 2 new schools...rumored as BYU/Houston.

Anyway...the three schools who would not consider such an extension were.....Iowa State and Kansas and WVU. Fascinating.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Last edited:
...commit to a new GOR extension amongst the remaining eight Big 12 teams at a conference zoom meeting today (which could not be signed until a new contract was reached...but the idea was a "commitment" to such).

The general idea of such a move being to look at bringing in 2 new schools...rumored as BYU/Houston.

Anyway...the three schools who would not consider such an extension were.....Iowa State and Kansas and WVU. Fascinating.

Sounds like the Clones have accepted their fate & they’re holding out for a Mountain West offer.

ISU has the facilities to be relevant in the MWC but I just don’t think they can compete in this conference.

They’ll be a mid tier MWC team.

Sounds like the Clones have accepted their fate & they’re holding out for a Mountain West offer.

ISU has the facilities to be relevant in the MWC but I just don’t think they can compete in this conference.

Iowa State had better football attendance in 2019 (fan support) than all but one PAC 12 team...Washington. Its facilities are at a level with mid-range B1G teams as of today. I realize you're "trolling" but that's pretty weak sauce.

Iowa State had better football attendance in 2019 (fan support) than all but one PAC 12 team...Washington. Its facilities are at a level with mid-range B1G teams as of today. I realize you're "trolling" but that's pretty weak sauce.
Say derp?! I said ISU has the facilities to compete in the Mountain West just not the athletes.

I can think of 4 programs that are better than ISU in the Mountain West.

Wow! Riveting news from Ames……

Last edited:

ISU needs to be giving the AAC a call. At this point, I think the Big 12 might have issues trying to get anyone to leave that conference. The future there is brighter than the Big 12, imo. It has a presence in far more larger markets. Their team would have been a legitimate contender in just about any conference not named the SEC the last 5 years or so.

ISU needs to be giving the AAC a call. At this point, I think the Big 12 might have issues trying to get anyone to leave that conference. The future there is brighter than the Big 12, imo. It has a presence in far more larger markets. Their team would have been a legitimate contender in just about any conference not named the SEC the last 5 years or so.
Um. No.

Honest question -

Has anyone brought up the possibility of the Sunbelt for the B12 rejects? From what I saw last season, they'd be a great fit. Not sure how many teams they could take under their wing, but they might be feeling generous after having went 3-0 against the B12 last season, including a big road W against he mythical "regular season champs".

Attendance and fan support isn’t the issue for ISU. If ISU or any other team can’t bring in a media valuation of at least $60-70M in the next TV deal. I do not see the B10 expanding.

Facilities are of little use to schools in other conferences, revenues and markets are. ISU is the lesser draw in a small market, and has the 7th or 8th smallest revenue in the B12. There is nothing about them that will increase revenues for schools in other P5 conferences.

Facilities and attendance don't determine how marketable a team is in conference realignment.

The President and AD in different colored polos is about as Iowa State as you can possibly get.

If I was a clone fan, I would be very nervous after watching that video. Yikes. I bet the folks in Austin and Norman haven’t stopped laughing. What a joke.
The video is just a legal maneuver to ensure OU and UT pay the full GOR payouts. It really says nothing beyond business as usual in the Big Twelve and thus anyone breaching the GOR must pay the full damages. Nothing more. Lawyer-ese.

The video is just a legal maneuver to ensure OU and UT pay the full GOR payouts. It really says nothing beyond business as usual in the Big Twelve and thus anyone breaching the GOR must pay the full damages. Nothing more. Lawyer-ese.
Actually, it’s not a legal maneuver. It’s a PR one. A poor one at that. And one that was just as disingenuous as the statement put out by OU/UT.

Do you really think a video from Jamie Pollard has those two schools shaking in their boots? You really don’t think they’ve gamed out the possible scenarios already?

Actually, it’s not a legal maneuver. It’s a PR one. A poor one at that. And one that was just as disingenuous as the statement put out by OU/UT.

Do you really think a video from Jamie Pollard has those two schools shaking in their boots? You really don’t think they’ve gamed out the possible scenarios already?
It wasn’t meant to “shake them in their boots”. It was meant to maintain a legal position, which it did…and to calm people down who are worried about the program’s future.

Damn, too bad for you Del isn’t getting consulted on this one. When the guys first couple of selling points is a natural rivalry with Iowa, proximity, and ability to make other rivals due to proximity, you’re not making a good argument.

Del: Seriously, ISU would be great. They’re only like a few hours away from Minn, Nebraska, and Iowa City.

B1G: Ok great, can you tell me a little more about what they’ll financially bring to the conference?

Del: …. Seriously, like right in the middle of those three teams. It’s a natural fit.

It wasn’t meant to “shake them in their boots”. It was meant to maintain a legal position, which it did…and to calm people down who are worried about the program’s future.
I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.

In case you are, OU/UT did not need Pollard to explain the legal situation to them. Again, they’ve played out all the scenarios. Nothing Pollard said is going to change their exit plans.

Did that video calm you down? If so, what parts?

I don’t know if ISU ends up in the BiG, my gut tells me no, but I bet they end up with something better than the AAC. And honestly they deserve it, good fans, good school.

• Wow
Reactions: HawkGem10
Well, only 2 of those 3 are AAU universities (ISU, Kansas), and I can see where West Virginia may want to join the ACC if one of their schools leaves (Georgia Tech)?

Colorado, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona and Washington are all AAU universities as well, so a 4 division Big 10 with 5 of those schools in one division (West) might work out if the P10 is the next one to go. The draw of being in the B10 research pool might be enough to cause one of them to fall, and after that it gets easier. That's where I'd go if I was the B10.

Colorado brings Denver, Georgia Tech brings Atlanta - and the P10 brings many others. Kansas brings a crappy football program and KC, while ISU brings Ames and Story City.

Reactions: keosauquahawk
Damn, too bad for you Del isn’t getting consulted on this one. When the guys first couple of selling points is a natural rivalry with Iowa, proximity, and ability to make other rivals due to proximity, you’re not making a good argument.

Del: Seriously, ISU would be great. They’re only like a few hours away from Minn, Nebraska, and Iowa City.

B1G: Ok great, can you tell me a little more about what they’ll financially bring to the conference?

Del: …. Seriously, like right in the middle of those three teams. It’s a natural fit.
[/QUO
UNI would fit the same criteria. Actually closer and as competitive historically.

What was legal about that video? Nothing. OU and UT are legally on the hook with GOR until 2025. The video doesn’t change a thing outside of me being thankful those two aren’t leadership at UI.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT