ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting development, only three Big 12 schools refused to....

The video is just a legal maneuver to ensure OU and UT pay the full GOR payouts. It really says nothing beyond business as usual in the Big Twelve and thus anyone breaching the GOR must pay the full damages. Nothing more. Lawyer-ese.
Yeah man there is a contract, so if Texas and Oklahoma leave after 2022 like most believe they will then they have to pay out to the league to do so based on the contract. They are not hanging around until the very end. Just dumb if anyone thinks that is happening.

Reactions: David1979
...commit to a new GOR extension amongst the remaining eight Big 12 teams at a conference zoom meeting today (which could not be signed until a new contract was reached...but the idea was a "commitment" to such).

The general idea of such a move being to look at bringing in 2 new schools...rumored as BYU/Houston.

Anyway...the three schools who would not consider such an extension were.....Iowa State and Kansas and WVU. Fascinating.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Welcome to the ACC!

This is going to be fun - all those years ISU fans ripping on the weak B1G, and now we'll be hearing pleas as to why they are awesome enough to belong.

Actually . . . what I find ironic is that ISU fans have consistently complained that the majority of Iowa's fan base is "Tavern Haaks" while ISU's fan base consists of loyal "actually went to ISU" alumni.

However . . . now when they need to sell the idea that cable/satellite subscriptions don't matter and that ISU can expand the B1G's revenue pie . . . they are claiming that Magic Matt Campbell will build ISU's fanbase and should be an attractive addition to any conference.

Perhaps all those "Tavern Haaks" consisting of fans willing to subscribe to BTN to watch the Hawkeyes is a demographic that ISU fans now need to be courting instead of demeaning.

What the OP posted is based on a random twitter user post. But that user does have like 4,400 followers on twitter.

Actually . . . what I find ironic is that ISU fans have consistently complained that the majority of Iowa's fan base is "Tavern Haaks" while ISU's fan base consists of loyal "actually went to ISU" alumni.

However . . . now when they need to sell the idea that cable/satellite subscriptions don't matter and that ISU can expand the B1G's revenue pie . . . they are claiming that Magic Matt Campbell will build ISU's fanbase and should be an attractive addition to any conference.

Perhaps all those "Tavern Haaks" consisting of fans willing to subscribe to BTN to watch the Hawkeyes is a demographic that ISU fans now need to be courting instead of demeaning.
And if ISU fans are so loyal why does it matter if they end up in the Mountain West cause they are so loyal they will all still buy tickets and at the same prices and life just goes on happy.

I still can't believe they are delusional enough to think they have a real shot at a Big Ten spot.

Let me preface this with a couple of comments:
1. I'm not going to revel with what ISU is currently facing. I have grave concerns that this will not ultimately stop at "power schools" flexing financial muscle and leaving schools in small population states and low TV revenue states behind. None of what is going on should make Iowa fans feel comfortable with where Iowa sits in the overall picture.
2. While I won't revel in ISU's situation, I certainly can mock how certain people respond. And I readily admit to thinking that Jamie Pollard is a giant freaking douche bag.

So . . . with that written, here goes:

Jamie Pollard: "So, Texas, you better be ready to open up your wallets and pay the penalty. The remaining Big 12 teams have no intention of disbanding and will hold you to your previously committed financial responsibilities."

University of Texas: "Are you talking about a $79M to $80M payout?"

Jamie Pollard: "You're god damned right I am."

University of Texas: "Are you sure?"

Jamie Pollard (chest out): "Hell to the yes."

University of Texas: "Just curious. Do you know what percentage $79,000,000 is of $31,900,000,000?"

Jamie Pollard: "Uh . . . uh . . . uh . . . no one told me that there would be math involved. I don't have a calculator on me."

University of Texas: "Let us help. $79M divided by $31.9B is 0.2%. The payout is literally .2% of our $31.9 billion endowment. With that . . . to whom should we make the check payable? By the way . . pro tip . . there's a calculator app on your smart phone."

(PHONE RINGS)

Jamie Pollard's secretary interrupts: "Mr. Pollard, Mr. Bowlsby is on the line. He needs to talk to you immediately. Apparently ESPN and FOX have called a special meeting to discuss re-working the contract in light of Oklahoma and Texas' departures and Mr. Bowlsby needs all of the ADs from the remaining 8 members on the call."

University of Texas: "Good luck with the call and the negotiations. The good news is that you can use the $79M check from us to offset the reductions that will be demanded by ESPN and FOX. Its the least we can do to soften the financial pain. Now, again, to whom should we make the check payable?"

The video is just a legal maneuver to ensure OU and UT pay the full GOR payouts. It really says nothing beyond business as usual in the Big Twelve and thus anyone breaching the GOR must pay the full damages. Nothing more. Lawyer-ese.
Surely you jest. The remaining big 12 schools are looking to Jamie Pollard to set the legal foundation with a video like this.

good god, man...

Take a step back. You are so screwed. $9-10M TV contract. Your coach is goooooooone!

I just ventured over to CF and those people are delusional. Yep, Pollard has Texas and OU right where he wants them. Squeeze that cash out of them, make them bleed before they leave you, right ISU. Holy smokes.

They just all seem to believe that the Big Ten has to let them in too. How do they not understand that the Big Ten schools are not going to take a reduction in conference payouts just to bail them out of a bad situation?
Apparently clown fans haven’t seen the letter from OU and Texas Presidents seeking membership in the SEC starting July 1, 2025. Looks like the game of chicken is underway. If the SEC agreed the remaining Big 12 schools are in a huge predicament in trying to negotiate a new GOR without Texas and OU and not blowing up the league.

But by all means clown fan do tell us how it really is and how crybaby Jamie has Texas and OU right where he wants them. We won’t laugh at you really.

It wasn’t meant to “shake them in their boots”. It was meant to maintain a legal position, which it did…and to calm people down who are worried about the program’s future.
It did nothing to calm clone fans. There's 17 pages so far of "oh shit we are screwed" comment. ISU has no legal position, your league owns that. And if the league folds before 2025 somebody's got to pay the tv providers.

Reactions: M3 ME PLEASE
Last week on sports talk radio out here in SoCal, the hosts were discussing possible orphaned or potential schools to join the PAC 12 once the big 12 dissolves. (To make the pac12 a 16 team super conference).

the general consensus was that they would welcome Okie State, Baylor, TCU, maybe ksu; outside of the BXII, boise state was also mentioned.

Kansas was mentioned for the bb profile.

In addition,
One host was quoted, “forget iowa State. They are terrible in everything. “

1. I'm not going to revel with what ISU is currently facing. I have grave concerns that this will not ultimately stop at "power schools" flexing financial muscle and leaving schools in small population states and low TV revenue states behind. None of what is going on should make Iowa fans feel comfortable with where Iowa sits in the overall picture.
2. While I won't revel in ISU's situation, I certainly can mock how certain people respond. And I readily admit to thinking that Jamie Pollard is a giant freaking douche bag.

So . . . with that written, here goes:

Jamie Pollard: "So, Texas, you better be ready to open up your wallets and pay the penalty. The remaining Big 12 teams have no intention of disbanding and will hold you to your previously committed financial responsibilities."

University of Texas: "Are you talking about a $79M to $80M payout?"

Jamie Pollard: "You're god damned right I am."

University of Texas: "Are you sure?"

Jamie Pollard (chest out): "Hell to the yes."

University of Texas: "Just curious. Do you know what percentage $79,000,000 is of $31,900,000,000?"

Jamie Pollard: "Uh . . . uh . . . uh . . . no one told me that there would be math involved. I don't have a calculator on me."

University of Texas: "Let us help. $79M divided by $31.9B is 0.2%. The payout is literally .2% of our $31.9 billion endowment. With that . . . to whom should we make the check payable? By the way . . pro tip . . there's a calculator app on your smart phone."

(PHONE RINGS)

Jamie Pollard's secretary interrupts: "Mr. Pollard, Mr. Bowlsby is on the line. He needs to talk to you immediately. Apparently ESPN and FOX have called a special meeting to discuss re-working the contract in light of Oklahoma and Texas' departures and Mr. Bowlsby needs all of the ADs from the remaining 8 members on the call."

University of Texas: "Good luck with the call and the negotiations. The good news is that you can use the $79M check from us to offset the reductions that will be demanded by ESPN and FOX. Its the least we can do to soften the financial pain. Now, again, to whom should we make the check payable?"
OK that was funny...

Apparently clown fans haven’t seen the letter from OU and Texas Presidents seeking membership in the SEC starting July 1, 2025. Looks like the game of chicken is underway. If the SEC agreed the remaining Big 12 schools are in a huge predicament in trying to negotiate a new GOR without Texas and OU and not blowing up the league.

But by all means clown fan do tell us how it really is and how crybaby Jamie has Texas and OU right where he wants them. We won’t laugh at you really.
The uncertainty would kill recruiting, a new TV deal, etc. All it'll take is for another school to defect and things will start spiraling out of control for the Big XII. I'm not sure they really want to play this game of chicken and I can't imagine the folks in the Big XII office are thrilled with Pollard's stunt. This is over and the Big XII should be looking to negotiate some type of settlement. Otherwise, they risk getting nothing.

The ONLY thing they have going for them is it looks like the B1G isn't eager to add more members. That gives the Big XII a little bit of leverage, but not much. If the B1G announces tomorrow they are adding USC and Stanford (for example), the Big XII will implode within days, leaving the little 8 with nothing.

Reactions: HerkyFan
I work with a handful of ISU alumni who have been telling me for days that they’re going to the BigTen. Most of them are too nice for me to tell this to their face… but there is no chance ISU ends up in the BigTen. Zero.
I know a lot of ISU fans, some family members. I would never kick dirt in their face by reveling in ISU's situation in front of them and would be supportive by saying I hope ISU lands in the Big. In reality, when with my Iowa friends and family, we don't want ISU in the BIG and it's going to only be good for Iowa if ISU is demoted and we don't have to play them anymore.

It's just being nice and not kicking someone when they are down.

So ISU fans, if your Iowa friends are telling you they hope ISU ends up in the BIG they are just trying to make you feel better.

I agree FWIW. ^^ All this roly poly conference realignment activity may possibly work against even the "safe" smaller states like Iowa. If not now, perhaps down the road.

If not directly, then indirectly...as my fav college sport, wrestling, may or may not survive all of this turmoil. I am not saying that Iowa is going to drop wrestling, no way, but if enough other schools do then that could impact the viability of it being a D1 interscholastic sport, v. a club sport.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Immediately after JP calm the fans video taping.

Waited decades to get toward the mountain top and then you get close and you find out there is someone there and they kick you in the nuts and knock you back all the way to the bottom.

I just ventured over to CF and those people are delusional. Yep, Pollard has Texas and OU right where he wants them. Squeeze that cash out of them, make them bleed before they leave you, right ISU. Holy smokes.

They just all seem to believe that the Big Ten has to let them in too. How do they not understand that the Big Ten schools are not going to take a reduction in conference payouts just to bail them out of a bad situation?
They think the Gov and Iowa legislature will force the B1G to let them play big boy ball too.
Its only fair you know.

• Haha
I think Notre Dame may already be a lost cause as they're too far in bed with the ACC. I'd certainly love to add Notre Dame because of the national relevance, but I don't think it's going to happen.

I'd like to see KU added to the B1G because of the basketball angle but also adding the states of Kansas and Missouri into the B1G blue print. Then if ND is not an option, I think the B1G needs to add another team out east. As crazy as it sounds, the University of Toronto has a huge enrollment 69,000 and would bring a very large city and the whole country of Canada into the fold. With the NIL opportunities, University of Toronto could probably start landing top 40 recruiting classes right out of the gates and build up a football program fairly quickly.

So if no ND, I'd like to see University of Toronto.

They honestly think their athletic department is on the same level as Iowa. They think they have some huge fan base as well which is hilarious. They also think that because the average TV ratings for their games last year was due to them and not the fact they played both OU and Texas on ABC. lol

So cryababy Jamie has thrown down the gauntlet to Texas and OU, we would rather let the conference die in 2025 than let you out early. Bold move when all the better cards are being held by Texas and OU and they know it.

So how exactly is isu going to negotiate GOR if there isn’t any conference in 2025 and Texas and OU hang you out to dry? I mean they can afford to wait it out can isu and the other 7 schools do the same?
Well...the conference holds at least 150 million cards...so you're wrong about who holds the cards in the short term at least. You don't negotiate a GOR...the TV rights simply stay with the conference and the OU/UT have not TV rights. The money they would pay out would be to regain those TV rights...and that's a LOT of money.

Here’s a hilarious one from CF (most talked about team that’s not a Blue Blood)

Quote: Times are a ton different. From 2006-2010 we went 21-40 in football. From 2017-2020 we’ve gone 32-19 and are the most talked about team that’s not a blue blood. We also haven’t seen what this year’s team will do which “should” enhance our product even more.

Well...the conference holds at least 150 million cards...so you're wrong about who holds the cards in the short term at least. You don't negotiate a GOR...the TV rights simply stay with the conference and the OU/UT have not TV rights. The money they would pay out would be to regain those TV rights...and that's a LOT of money.
Texas and OU said today they plan on joining the SEC on July 1, 2025. If they hold to that they owe the Big 12 nothing. Meanwhile how is the Big 12 going to negotiate their next GOR without Texas and OU and without adding any more teams?

If Texas and OU hold to not joining the SEC until 2025 the Big 12 is a dead man walking for the next 4 years.

Clearly, its not just ISU fans who see this....
From Rivals national columnist Mike Farrell:

Iowa State — Sticking with Big 12 teams looking for new homes, Iowa State to the Big Ten appears like a natural fit. It fits the geographic footprint of the conference, academically it is on par with most of the schools already in the Big Ten and it has built-in rivalries with both Iowa and Nebraska. This is one of the most logical moves possible among all of this potential realignment.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT