ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting development, only three Big 12 schools refused to....

Here’s a hilarious one from CF (most talked about team that’s not a Blue Blood)

Quote: Times are a ton different. From 2006-2010 we went 21-40 in football. From 2017-2020 we’ve gone 32-19 and are the most talked about team that’s not a blue blood. We also haven’t seen what this year’s team will do which “should” enhance our product even more.
Don’t tell clown fans that Iowa is 33-14 from 2017-2020.

Yep big bro has more wins and fewer losses than isu’s glory days.

Clearly, its not just ISU fans who see this....
From Rivals national columnist Mike Farrell:

Iowa State — Sticking with Big 12 teams looking for new homes, Iowa State to the Big Ten appears like a natural fit. It fits the geographic footprint of the conference, academically it is on par with most of the schools already in the Big Ten and it has built-in rivalries with both Iowa and Nebraska. This is one of the most logical moves possible among all of this potential realignment.

Except there is no way isu will add value to the Big 10 that matches or exceeds the cost to give them an equal share of revenues. Do tell how isu add at least $55m per year. I won’t laugh really.

Iowa State — Sticking with Big 12 teams looking for new homes, Iowa State to the Big Ten appears like a natural fit. It fits the geographic footprint of the conference, academically it is on par with most of the schools already in the Big Ten and it has built-in rivalries with both Iowa and Nebraska. This is one of the most logical moves possible among all of this potential realignment.

And it adds nothing for the conference. Fit and rivalries only get you so much.

You can say it until you’re blue in the face. You can post tweets from columnist who don’t know their head from their ass and whose opinion means nothing. At the end of the day, ISU is not going to be invited to the BigTen unless they figure out a way for their brand to generate $70million annually for the conference. Simple as that.

Texas and OU said today they plan on joining the SEC on July 1, 2025. If they hold to that they owe the Big 12 nothing. Meanwhile how is the Big 12 going to negotiate their next GOR without Texas and OU and without adding any more teams?

If Texas and OU hold to not joining the SEC until 2025 the Big 12 is a dead man walking for the next 4 years.
Said the same in many different threads. Texas and Okie hold the trump (no reference to politics) card. They can wait. The other 8 cannot. And if the other 8 leave early they have to pay. And for those 8 teams this is cancer for 4 years as recruits go elsewhere as do many coaches. Who can most afford to sit around until 2025?

If Texas and Okie persons are nice they will leave and pay out without trying to reduce, but if they wanted hardball, man they are the position of strength to do so.

Well...the conference holds at least 150 million cards...so you're wrong about who holds the cards in the short term at least. You don't negotiate a GOR...the TV rights simply stay with the conference and the OU/UT have not TV rights. The money they would pay out would be to regain those TV rights...and that's a LOT of money.
It's a lot of money for ISU, not so much for UT/OU. I'd be willing to bet that those teams will be playing in the SEC for the 22/23 season.

Well...the conference holds at least 150 million cards...so you're wrong about who holds the cards in the short term at least. You don't negotiate a GOR...the TV rights simply stay with the conference and the OU/UT have not TV rights. The money they would pay out would be to regain those TV rights...and that's a LOT of money.

OU/UT lose very little by waiting until 2025. They know where they'll ultimately end up, and it's a good place with great income. Those are the cards they hold and, long term, much, much more valuable than the cost of a GOR buyout, which is about all that the rest of the conference holds. 150 million cards...but they're all very tiny cards that expire in 4 years.

The rest of the B12, on the other hand, will be watching the conference whither on the vine. Meanwhile, every team will be thinking "this is twice in 10 years that our conference has had a major shakeup with risk of total implosion". Those thoughts lead to contingency plans, which lead to defections. At some point, everyone scrambles for a chair and the conference ceases to exist.

Best case for most of the conference is that you pull in some lower tier programs, try to duct tape the thing together and absorb and huge drop in income. Worst case is begging for a chair at a lower tier conference.

I know some cyclone fans of you are hanging onto delusions of a major conference invite, but I wouldn't hold your breath. SEC and B1G have zero to gain by adding ISU. It would be the ultimate stupid decision. There's a slim chance of an invite out west, but the PAC 12 is already hurting for revenue. They also have GOR renewal coming up and are ripe for some defections if teams see greener grass out east.

Hard to say what will happen, but the options for ISU are not good right now even with them having their most successful asterisk season ever. If they don't live up to expectations this fall, it's game over. No pressure.....

Yeah, but that's small consolation for being essentially doomed for the next 4 years. Now would be when the B12 should start negotiating a new tv package starting in '26. Forget it. No one will buy their rights. In '25 the B12, if it still exists, will no longer be in the P5. The remaining 8 schools have had tv ratings over the past 5 seasons equal to the AAC. So for them, it is either a invite to the other P4, or G6 status in 4 years. Anyone not getting an invite to the P12/B10/ACC is looking at a 50% reduction in their distribution. $16-20m/yr at least. Not to mention this will put their recruiting into a death spiral.

Reactions: CommonSense2000

Explain to me what happens if Texas and Oklahoma do wait until June 30, 2025 to depart? Does Iowa State wait and get the life sucked out of it for 4 years? They couldn't leave to go elsewhere until then also or Iowa State would have to pay the remaining conference teams. Talk about 8 zombie teams in that scenario.

And again, it makes zero sense financially which is something he didn't bring up. Geography has little to do with it.

Reactions: MikeyHawk

The “buy-out” would net $10M per year for 2 years for remaining 8 teams.

Certainly not an insignificant sum but would it be enough to cover the losses incurred during those two years if the Big 12’s television contracting partners demanded concessions?

UT could cut a check for $79M and not feel it a bit.

Would likely be more painful for OU as they have nowhere near the financial resources.

That written, if OU and UT buy out the Big 12 and can get a full share of SEC conference revenue, how much would that be? Given that the SEC needs to re-up with CBS, I’m thinking that there may be some urgency to start negotiating that deal with UT and OU “in the fold.”

If joining the SEC results in a $20M yearly increase (simply my guesstimate - I’ve seen larger and smaller numbers) in conference driven revenue for UT and OU, they’d recoup the $79M payout in 4 years.

Keep in mind that every single SEC member would also experience a bump in revenues and, thus, would have motivation to get UT and OU in the fold ASAP for TV contract negotiations purposes.

When all is said and done, the math works well for the big revenue producers (UT and OU). Any buy-out is relatively small short term pain, losses recovered in less than 5 years and larger revenue stream going forward.

In contrast, the remaining 8 members of the Big 12 would maybe break even with a buy out and would be in a particularly difficult TV contract situation in 2 years.

If the Big 12 folds, UT and OU get to keep the buy out.

If you were the president of any of the 8 remaining Big 12 member institutions, would you simply decide to “sit tight” and use UT and OU’s money to put a 2 year tourniquet on a hemorrhaging financial situation or would you try to act quickly to land in as strong a position as possible? For example, if the PAC 12 is willing to take Oklahoma State and Kansas, would the presidents of both schools say that they want to wait or will they pull the trigger?

In all candor, if I had to pick which side of the bargaining table to be on, I’m picking OU and UT. I don’t even see it being a remotely close call.

The “buy-out” would net $10M per year for 2 years for remaining 8 teams.

Certainly not an insignificant sum but would it be enough to cover the losses incurred during those two years if the Big 12’s television contracting partners demanded concessions?

UT could cut a check for $79M and not feel it a bit.

Would likely be more painful for OU as they have nowhere near the financial resources.

That written, if OU and UT buy out the Big 12 and can get a full share of SEC conference revenue, how much would that be? Given that the SEC needs to re-up with CBS, I’m thinking that there may be some urgency to start negotiating that deal with UT and OU “in the fold.”

If joining the SEC results in a $20M yearly increase (simply my guesstimate - I’ve seen larger and smaller numbers) in conference driven revenue for UT and OU, they’d recoup the $79M payout in 4 years.

Keep in mind that every single SEC member would also experience a bump in revenues and, thus, would have motivation to get UT and OU in the fold ASAP for TV contract negotiations purposes.

When all is said and done, the math works well for the big revenue producers (UT and OU). Any buy-out is relatively small short term pain, losses recovered in less than 5 years and larger revenue stream going forward.

In contrast, the remaining 8 members of the Big 12 would maybe break even with a buy out and would be in a particularly difficult TV contract situation in 2 years.

If the Big 12 folds, UT and OU get to keep the buy out.

If you were the president of any of the 8 remaining Big 12 member institutions, would you simply decide to “sit tight” and use UT and OU’s money to put a 2 year tourniquet on a hemorrhaging financial situation or would you try to act quickly to land in as strong a position as possible? For example, if the PAC 12 is willing to take Oklahoma State and Kansas, would the presidents of both schools say that they want to wait or will they pull the trigger?

In all candor, if I had to pick which side of the bargaining table to be on, I’m picking OU and UT. I don’t even see it being a remotely close call.
Any language that the conference has to exist for some period of time post departure? Thinking if they officially left, could they disband the conference the next day, 6 months later, 1 year later and not have to refund the exit fees to Texas and Okie???? Just curious.

Sees what exactly?
Can you post all the articles that state that the Big 10 has no interest in adding Iowa State
A Rivals writer opinion means...

Explain to me what happens if Texas and Oklahoma do wait until June 30, 2025 to depart? Does Iowa State wait and get the life sucked out of it for 4 years? They couldn't leave to go elsewhere until then also or Iowa State would have to pay the remaining conference teams. Talk about 8 zombie teams in that scenario.
While everybody else in the country has locked-in money and long-term budgets past 2025, the Big 12 remnants would have no planned TV deal over that timeframe. That makes big budget item planning hard. They could make estimates of donations/ticket sales, but that is only a portion of their budget.
If you have stadium renovations planned, or are negotiating coach contracts, or are just trying to figure out the general budget, by 2023 you will really need to know what you're getting past 2025.
I would guess the 8 remaining schools try to stick together for a while but they don't know how much the athletic dept is going to pull in 5 years from now, they are going to try to make things happen for themselves and get the best long term agreement they can. If the remnants try to pull in BYU and Houston, they know their post 2025 TV revenue will be down from 2025 (probably by a lot), so most of them are going to try to join other bigger conferences with more stability and TV revenue.
I have no idea what Big 12 bylaws are, but if enough schools go their own way they can vote to dissolve the conference. That's what Texas and OU are counting on.

Reactions: rchawk
You can say it until you’re blue in the face. You can post tweets from columnist who don’t know their head from their ass and whose opinion means nothing. At the end of the day, ISU is not going to be invited to the BigTen unless they figure out a way for their brand to generate $70million annually for the conference. Simple as that.

Exactly and this is something ISU fans probably can't comprehend is that the Big 10 isn't just going to add 2 more teams just because the Big 12 is imploding. If they ever do it's because they'd add great value to the conference and I find it laughable that one of the biggest argument made by their fans is geography. Fact is ISU doesn't move the needle at all. Last additions were due to Football (Nebraska lot more highly thought of a decade ago) and TV sets (Maryland and Rutgers). And just because ISU could have 2 good seasons in a row that isn't going to change things.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Is MesaClone a closet Hawk fan? Or why do you live here trying to justify everything that concerns your one trick pony?

While everybody else in the country has locked-in money and long-term budgets past 2025, the Big 12 remnants would have no planned TV deal over that timeframe. That makes big budget item planning hard. They could make estimates of donations/ticket sales, but that is only a portion of their budget.
If you have stadium renovations planned, or are negotiating coach contracts, or are just trying to figure out the general budget, by 2023 you will really need to know what you're getting past 2025.
I would guess the 8 remaining schools try to stick together for a while but they don't know how much the athletic dept is going to pull in 5 years from now, they are going to try to make things happen for themselves and get the best long term agreement they can. If the remnants try to pull in BYU and Houston, they know their post 2025 TV revenue will be down from 2025 (probably by a lot), so most of them are going to try to join other bigger conferences with more stability and TV revenue.
I have no idea what Big 12 bylaws are, but if enough schools go their own way they can vote to dissolve the conference. That's what Texas and OU are counting on.
What's funny is the MWC ($4.4m per team lol) is looking at KU KSU and OSU. Big 12 is done. There time is over.

Last edited:

He's a national RECRUITING analyst. He doesn't know anymore than the rest of us.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

Until you stop and think about the actual criteria for adding a team. Other than the primary driver having virtually nothing to do with geography, rivalries and academics, it's perfect. Those items might be gatekeepers, but they aren't drivers.

If I'm thinking about buying a new car and the only thing that would make me do it is lower or equal payments, it doesn't matter that one family member loves the stereo and we all think it handles well.

Just because clueless people keep citing reasons that don't apply doesn't mean the members of the conference will vote to take a paycut.

Keep clinging if it makes you feel better....

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Transfer portal gonna be smoking hot this year. KF is smart to be patient.

However, that’s written by an “outsider” and not someone familiar with Big 10 perspective. Isu brings little to the table (i.e., doesn’t expand recruiting base for Big 10, historically weak football program, and fanbase within state of Iowa is second fiddle to the Hawks). At a minimum....Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota would all vote “no” to adding isu. Such teams don’t need more local recruiting competition.

The burn ..................

"The reality is that Baylor’s national championship in men’s basketball and success in women’s basketball doesn’t matter to television partners. Matt Campbell and the rise of Iowa State football doesn’t move the needle."

Wow! The bad part is that the truth hurts.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
The burn ..................

Holy crap. All guns blazing. Even taking aim at Nebraska, which was, frankly, revisionist history. Texas acting as if they did Nebraska a favor by joining the Big 12. I vividly remember when the Big 12 formed and the popular consensus was that the Big 8 bailed out the 4 SWC schools that were stuck on a sinking ship. In fact, the B12 North was the power in the conference and the B12 South was seen as the weak division.

The burns though. Love this one:

Tough luck, that, no longer operating as a pseudo-junior college using partial qualifiers as the preferred and, in retrospect, only route to success. For a school with no recruiting footprint, success always happened on the margins, margins that Nebraska controlled in the Big Eight to its advantage.

So as much as Nebraska wanted to blame Texas for its eventual departure from the Big 12, the school’s leaders made a decision to compromise on the sketchy area the Cornhuskers used to maintain its status as a national power. Unsurprisingly, a move to the Big Ten hasn’t helped to solve those problems or brought back the school’s ability to take partial qualifiers.

At least the checks haven’t stopped cashing and Texas is no longer the scapegoat for the failures in Lincoln.

Wow. And the author gave every other B12 school the same treatment.

Reactions: Dude McHawks
The author also nails it as to why ISU will nor be joining the BIG. Why should we take over subsidizing their athletic department just because Texas and OU got tired of doing so for decades. The same reason the Horns and Sooners are divorcing those programs are the same reason the BIG won't touch them.

Industry consultants estimate that roughly 50 percent of the current television contract is because of the Longhorns and the Sooners. So that means, just through rough calculations, that of the $20 million or so distributed to the other eight Big 12 members every year, they are, at best, only worth $12.5 million. Again, these are rough calculations, but by those calculations, almost 40 percent of the yearly television revenue for those schools is an entitlement enabled by Texas and Oklahoma.

$12.5 million. That's AAC money.

Reactions: rchawk
The ISU people would love to rewind to a week ago or so when it was all buzz and the Big 12 media days and Iowa State was on top. Then BOOOM. Gone..

Reactions: HerkyFan
...commit to a new GOR extension amongst the remaining eight Big 12 teams at a conference zoom meeting today (which could not be signed until a new contract was reached...but the idea was a "commitment" to such).

The general idea of such a move being to look at bringing in 2 new schools...rumored as BYU/Houston.

Anyway...the three schools who would not consider such an extension were.....Iowa State and Kansas and WVU. Fascinating.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
When does Iowa State's fall camp start? Next week or following week? Talk about major major distraction.

The video is just a legal maneuver to ensure OU and UT pay the full GOR payouts. It really says nothing beyond business as usual in the Big Twelve and thus anyone breaching the GOR must pay the full damages. Nothing more. Lawyer-ese.
It was a hostage video as Texas and Oklahoma have grabbed them by the privates.

The ISU people would love to rewind to a week ago or so when it was all buzz and the Big 12 media days and Iowa State was on top. Then BOOOM. Gone..

Could you imagine if this all happened several months ago when the transfer portal was in full operation and the NCAA wasn't restricting transfers and all the players retained a year of eligibility because of COVID. Would any of the Big 12 leftovers have a football roster left?

isu fits in geographically with the ARC as well.

Simpson & the dutch in Pella would be close rivals.

Cricket wireless would probably be interested in the broadcast rights.

Matt Campbell to agent: "Get me the HELL OUTA HERE" !
Jamie to Matt: "Pawleaaaaaaaaaaase don't go! You can have 30% of the payout from Texas and Oklahoma if you just stay!"

ISU will become that dusty old town from Outlaw Josey Wales after the silver rush came and went. It all dries up.

Could you imagine if this all happened several months ago when the transfer portal was in full operation and the NCAA wasn't restricting transfers and all the players retained a year of eligibility because of COVID. Would any of the Big 12 leftovers have a football roster left?
I am sure the team will circle the wagons for this season, but it is not gonna be good after this season.

Jamie Pollard, almost exactly one year ago, commented on the importance of playing football despite the COVID pandemic.

"The Iowa State athletics budget does not include any state or university funding and relies mainly on television revenues, private donations and ticket sales. If those revenues decrease dramatically or are eliminated, we will have unfunded financial obligations.”

He was commenting upon the 2018-2019 data.

2018-2019 data:
Expenses totaled $95.3M.
Ticket sales totaled $16.4M.
Private donations totaled $18.2M
"Other revenue" totaled $6.6M
Student fees totaled $2M

By my math, ISU's athletic department had $43.2M in revenues from ticket sales, donations, student fees and "other" revenue.

To break even (which ISU did in 2018-2019), the athletic department received $52M in television/licensing revenue. $37M reportedly came from the Big 12's television contract.

I'll quote Pollard again . . "if those revenues are decreased dramatically . . . we will have unfunded obligations."

There has to be some awfully grim faces and significant number crunching going on behind closed doors in Ames. They're in a tight spot. A really tight spot. Lots of grandiose plans (I thought the proposed "entertainment district" was impressive) which rely upon a significant revenue stream. OU and UT may have left ISU (and the other 7 schools) out in the cold.

Reactions: win4jj

Yeah I remember talk last year about you clowns making the CFP. The media is always looking for the next shiny thing. The people in power don't know you exist. Enjoy the Mountain West with P5 chimp

Said the same in many different threads. Texas and Okie hold the trump (no reference to politics) card. They can wait. The other 8 cannot. And if the other 8 leave early they have to pay. And for those 8 teams this is cancer for 4 years as recruits go elsewhere as do many coaches. Who can most afford to sit around until 2025?

If Texas and Okie persons are nice they will leave and pay out without trying to reduce, but if they wanted hardball, man they are the position of strength to do so.
What a scathingly brilliant UT/OU maneuver ~ I love it! That's what six months of planning gets vs. six days of panicking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT