ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting development, only three Big 12 schools refused to....

Holy crap. All guns blazing. Even taking aim at Nebraska, which was, frankly, revisionist history. Texas acting as if they did Nebraska a favor by joining the Big 12. I vividly remember when the Big 12 formed and the popular consensus was that the Big 8 bailed out the 4 SWC schools that were stuck on a sinking ship. In fact, the B12 North was the power in the conference and the B12 South was seen as the weak division.

The burns though. Love this one:

Tough luck, that, no longer operating as a pseudo-junior college using partial qualifiers as the preferred and, in retrospect, only route to success. For a school with no recruiting footprint, success always happened on the margins, margins that Nebraska controlled in the Big Eight to its advantage.

So as much as Nebraska wanted to blame Texas for its eventual departure from the Big 12, the school’s leaders made a decision to compromise on the sketchy area the Cornhuskers used to maintain its status as a national power. Unsurprisingly, a move to the Big Ten hasn’t helped to solve those problems or brought back the school’s ability to take partial qualifiers.

At least the checks haven’t stopped cashing and Texas is no longer the scapegoat for the failures in Lincoln.

Wow. And the author gave every other B12 school the same treatment.
Texas was never a sinking ship. It always had options. It was the other schools that needed rescued.

Jamie Pollard, almost exactly one year ago, commented on the importance of playing football despite the COVID pandemic.

"The Iowa State athletics budget does not include any state or university funding and relies mainly on television revenues, private donations and ticket sales. If those revenues decrease dramatically or are eliminated, we will have unfunded financial obligations.”

He was commenting upon the 2018-2019 data.

2018-2019 data:
Expenses totaled $95.3M.
Ticket sales totaled $16.4M.
Private donations totaled $18.2M
"Other revenue" totaled $6.6M
Student fees totaled $2M

By my math, ISU's athletic department had $43.2M in revenues from ticket sales, donations, student fees and "other" revenue.

To break even (which ISU did in 2018-2019), the athletic department received $52M in television/licensing revenue. $37M reportedly came from the Big 12's television contract.

I'll quote Pollard again . . "if those revenues are decreased dramatically . . . we will have unfunded obligations."

There has to be some awfully grim faces and significant number crunching going on behind closed doors in Ames. They're in a tight spot. A really tight spot. Lots of grandiose plans (I thought the proposed "entertainment district" was impressive) which rely upon a significant revenue stream. OU and UT may have left ISU (and the other 7 schools) out in the cold.
Get down on his knees to the PAC 12. Only shot at joining a major and keep semi reasonable revenues.

While everybody else in the country has locked-in money and long-term budgets past 2025, the Big 12 remnants would have no planned TV deal over that timeframe. That makes big budget item planning hard. They could make estimates of donations/ticket sales, but that is only a portion of their budget.
If you have stadium renovations planned, or are negotiating coach contracts, or are just trying to figure out the general budget, by 2023 you will really need to know what you're getting past 2025.
I would guess the 8 remaining schools try to stick together for a while but they don't know how much the athletic dept is going to pull in 5 years from now, they are going to try to make things happen for themselves and get the best long term agreement they can. If the remnants try to pull in BYU and Houston, they know their post 2025 TV revenue will be down from 2025 (probably by a lot), so most of them are going to try to join other bigger conferences with more stability and TV revenue.
I have no idea what Big 12 bylaws are, but if enough schools go their own way they can vote to dissolve the conference. That's what Texas and OU are counting on.
This is what I'm thinking as well. The pressure isn't on Oklahoma and Texas - worst case scenario they wait out the four years. But the remaining Big 12 schools would be in shambles at the end of that process. Recruiting would get crushed and they'd be likely unable to negotiate a new contract/add schools/etc. Plus, during the four years each of the schools would be looking for better options/trying to leave conference. And as you mentioned - any loans/debt service options would be extremely difficult to negotiate.

All the pressure is on the remaining Big 12 schools to get this resolved as soon as they can so that an uncertain future can be fixed.

What a scathingly brilliant UT/OU maneuver ~ I love it! That's what six months of planning gets vs. six days of panicking.
Yeah if Texas and Oklahoma want to be nice, they go quietly after this season and payout in full. That’s maybe why any vitriol toward them will be kept minimal by Admins of schools. But the fans at the 8 will be ruthless toward them.

Reactions: bumpstock
Cause their fans are mostly cool with mediocrity. Would love to meet them in a bowl this year.
Dude, this is absolute nonsense. Their sports program won the Director's cup last year and they always have one of the top sports programs in the country. Don't mistake their inability to produce results on the football field with acceptance of mediocrity.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I'd rather not, thanks.

believe me, I don’t want to see it either… but they have a hell of a good team. I’m hoping they slip up twice so the best they could even think about is backing into the NY6 again. Iowa is a major swing game for that scenario.

Dude, this is absolute nonsense. Their sports program won the Director's cup last year and they always have one of the top sports programs in the country. Don't mistake their inability to produce results on the football field with acceptance of mediocrity.
They should expect national titles frequently. Poor return on their money. and football is it as has been stated many many times. It is the bank. No other sport is.

They should expect national titles frequently. Poor return on their money. and football is it as has been stated many many times. It is the bank. No other sport is.
They have the top earning sports department in the country. Seems they are doing OK with revenue - even in the Big 12 and without winning national titles. Everyone knows they are a sleeping giant - it's only a matter of time.

believe me, I don’t want to see it either… but they have a hell of a good team. I’m hoping they slip up twice so the best they could even think about is backing into the NY6 again. Iowa is a major swing game for that scenario.

They have essentially the same team ND bare-ass spanked and the Ragin Cajuns steamrolled. Good by their stsndards doesnt scare the rest of the world.

They have essentially the same team ND bare-ass spanked and the Ragin Cajuns steamrolled. Good by their stsndards doesnt scare the rest of the world.
It's also the same team that beat Oklahoma once last year and nearly came back to beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship. And OU steamrolled Florida in the Cotton Bowl. The Louisiana game was an outlier . . . as was Iowa's only regular season loss to ISU in the Orange Bowl year.

Iowa will have its hands full in Ames this year and, barring an opening game injury to Purdy or Hall, there is absolutely no reason why ISU shouldn't be favored to win in Ames.

It's also the same team that beat Oklahoma once last year and nearly came back to beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship. And OU steamrolled Florida in the Cotton Bowl. The Louisiana game was an outlier . . . as was Iowa's only regular season loss to ISU in the Orange Bowl year.

Iowa will have its hands full in Ames this year and, barring an opening game injury to Purdy or Hall, there is absolutely no reason why ISU shouldn't be favored to win in Ames.

Iowa WILL have their hands full. Winning or losing that game is probably the difference between 8-4 and 9-3 for both teams.

OK beat Florida’s second team.
Just sayin

...commit to a new GOR extension amongst the remaining eight Big 12 teams at a conference zoom meeting today (which could not be signed until a new contract was reached...but the idea was a "commitment" to such).

The general idea of such a move being to look at bringing in 2 new schools...rumored as BYU/Houston.

Anyway...the three schools who would not consider such an extension were.....Iowa State and Kansas and WVU. Fascinating.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

JFC, this board is really slipping. Has anyone asked the OP for the source of this "rumor" or for anything to show that it didn't get created on AggerFanatic?? The thought that the conference would have any reason to ask for such a non-binding commitment or that any of these schools wouldn't give it at this point is lunacy. This fairytale hasn't been subsequently reported anywhere by any reputable organization that can be confirmed or substantiated. There's a whole lotta delusional angst in watertown and agland right now...this is just more of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT