Penn State Wrestling Tickets: $40
Parking: $5.00
Refreshments: $12.00

Hawkreport post proven correct/annoying Gobblin: Priceless

Penn State Wrestling Tickets: $40
Parking: $5.00
Refreshments: $12.00

Hawkreport post proven correct/annoying Gobblin: Priceless

I never called you any names or said anything offensive. Simply offered a bet... And you didn’t have the balls to bet on your boy. By all means, keep digging your hole and showing your tiny dick for all to see.

Kemerer is 84-8 and placed 3rd-4th. He has lost to 6 different opponents (Richardson, Sueflohn, Palacio, M Jordan, Berger, and Nolf x 3; Berger was inj default).

He's 60-6. You don't count matches during redshirt season

At least this is a thought out post, but I believe you are proving my point.

You're not picking Kem because you think he'll win, your picking him because he's your guy (fandom), but with nothing to show a strength for Kem over Hall. I never stated it was a "dream" for someone to pick him, I was trying to find out what strength you guys feel Kem has over Hall.

1. I believe Hall has about 100 wins so far in his career (I haven't checked), but only 4 guys (Amine, Kutler, Zahid, Crutchmer) have been defeated by Hall in a 1 point match, so his matches aren't 1 point matches that can go either way

2. I agree Kem is VERY good, but you're talking Elite with Nolf and Hall (both guys in finals every year they competed with multiple championships) compared to a non finalist..there is a big distinction there. Spencer is elite, Yianni elite, Zahid elite, etc..

3. Injury is a factor becuase no one knows what you'll get. If people were picking Kem after watching him dominate for a month or so, I can get it. But after sitting out a year, bumping up 2 weights, it is a factor

4. True..can't quantify, but I would think if you asked all D1 coaches who is stronger between the 2, it would be a landslide (pure conjecture on my part)

5. Palacio (and Hall much better than him)
This

I didn't say 1 point matches only and I qualified it by AA level competition. 2 point matches are ALSO very close scores and that adds in Lujan, Skatzka, Labriola, Finesilver and Jordan.

Other than a late fall against Daniel Lewis and some early on domination of Skatzka before he turned it on at the end of last year, Hall hasn't really dominated any AA level competition.

Simply put, he is vulnerable. At the very least, he is much more vulnerable than the elite wrestlers that Sanderson has coached at PSU over the soon to be decade. Kemerer is a guy, IF HEALTHY, that truly has the potential to be at that level. If he stays healthy, I think you will recognize that, even with the PSU colored glasses!
Even in the close matches he still isn't in danger of losing

So bet me 100$ on Hall to not lose to KemDawg this year.?.
Friendly wager D4
Im betting KemDawg beats Hall this year

As Sir Gobblin states a few post later; Posting right will be accepted instead of jing. Your call D4.

Go Hawks

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin

If you said the odds were very low he would lose any of those matches, I would agree. however, all DANGER needs is one simple mistake when the score is that close.

Simply put, if you are up 2 or less with short time on the clock you ARE in about as much danger as you can be when leading.

The simple truth is that if you wrestle enough close matches someone is going to snipe you.

Reactions: Gobblin
So bet me 100$ on Hall to not lose to KemDawg this year.?.
Friendly wager D4
Im betting KemDawg beats Hall this year

As Sir Gobblin states a few post later; Posting right will be accepted instead of jing. Your call D4.

Go Hawks
Cricket.....Cricket.....Cricket

Reactions: Gobblin and MSeil
This thread should be in a very rose colored tint.

I know this is the Iowa board but I’m shocked how many of you really believe Kem beats Hall.

Hall is..
1. Better technical wrestler
2. Stronger
3. Better defensively
4. Better on top
5. No injury history

Kem is..

1. Bumping up 2 weights
2. Couldn’t take down Nolf, and Hall harder to take down
3. Coming off major injury
4. No Advantage in any of the 3 areas (top, bottom or neutral)

So besides being an Iowa fan, what would be reasons someone picking Kem over Hall? Seriously?
Hall is harder to take down than a 4x NCAA champ? Sorry dude, but you sound like an idiot.

You do realize if it weren't for injuries, and to a larger extent for that slacker of an all-time great, Nolf, that it's entirely conceivable that Kemerer could have two titles already under his belt.

I think you forget how good he actually is.

Hall is harder to take down than a 4x NCAA champ? Sorry dude, but you sound like an idiot.

You do realize if it weren't for injuries, and to a larger extent for that slacker of an all-time great, Nolf, that it's entirely conceivable that Kemerer could have two titles already under his belt.

I think you forget how good he actually is.
4x finalist, 3x time champ but your point still stands in my book.

If people want to have a discussion about who is harder to take down, an analysis of actual takedowns allowed is more valid than comparing numbers of championships.

Nolf, because of his offensive mindset, creativity, and confidence that he could score on demand, was actually "easier" to take down than Hall, simply because he was less conservative in his style. Just ask that Barfalo kid from last season.

Same comparison for Retherford. There were multiple matches where he was taken down by a clearly inferior opponent simply because of his offensive mindset. Hall is a more defensive wrestler, which makes him more difficult to take down.

Numbers of championships as a basis for comparing defensive ability/execution does not seem appropriate here. Besides, Hall could end up being a 4x finalist and 2x champ, which is not much different from a 4x finalist and 3x champ (Nolf). If not for an offensive juggernaut named Zahid, Hall could very well have been a 4x champ. Nolf, on the other hand, had to face the likes of IMar in only one season.

Reactions: pish69
Holy shit the season needs to start badly. What a silly, unwinnable argument. My posting rights to Penn States anonymous message board is here for the taking to anyone who wants it. I’ll take any and all bets... PLEASE!

Easy, man -- it's really not that big of a deal. Just discussion.

But if you're desperate for a bet with someone, I'll put my NRA membership rights on the line for any subject of your choosing. ;)

If people want to have a discussion about who is harder to take down, an analysis of actual takedowns allowed is more valid than comparing numbers of championships.

Nolf, because of his offensive mindset, creativity, and confidence that he could score on demand, was actually "easier" to take down than Hall, simply because he was less conservative in his style. Just ask that Barfalo kid from last season.

Same comparison for Retherford. There were multiple matches where he was taken down by a clearly inferior opponent simply because of his offensive mindset. Hall is a more defensive wrestler, which makes him more difficult to take down.

Numbers of championships as a basis for comparing defensive ability/execution does not seem appropriate here. Besides, Hall could end up being a 4x finalist and 2x champ, which is not much different from a 4x finalist and 3x champ (Nolf). If not for an offensive juggernaut named Zahid, Hall could very well have been a 4x champ. Nolf, on the other hand, had to face the likes of IMar in only one season.
When does NCAA championship NOT become the ultimate comparison? That's what it's all about, Slush.

And I was pointing out how dumb it was that Phish was even comparing Hall and Nolf in the first place.

Nolf's greatest defense was his offense, Hall is the polar opposite. Nolf has an 84% bonus rate for crying out loud. The guy didn't give up TDs because he was the one scoring. Hall is around 59%, which is still unbelievably good, but not even in the same world.

Nolf was held to only 10 decisions in his entire career... 3 of those were to Kemerer.

Fwiw--Retherford gotten taken down not because of his offensive style, but because he got lazy and complacent at times. The guy would toy with his opponent and get caught off guard. Hall on the other hand, is because of his his grind-it-out mentality. It opens the window for the other guy and that's what the original argument was.

But congrats, you PSU goobers have successfully high jacked another fun thread of ours. At this point I'm wondering if you aren't a closet Hawkeye fan...

When does NCAA championship NOT become the ultimate comparison? That's what it's all about, Slush.

And I was pointing out how dumb it was that Phish was even comparing Hall and Nolf in the first place.

Nolf's greatest defense was his offense, Hall is the polar opposite. Nolf has an 84% bonus rate for crying out loud. The guy didn't give up TDs because he was the one scoring. Hall is around 59%, which is still unbelievably good, but not even in the same world.

Nolf was held to only 10 decisions in his entire career... 3 of those were to Kemerer.

Fwiw--Retherford gotten taken down not because of his offensive style, but because he got lazy and complacent at times. The guy would toy with his opponent and get caught off guard. Hall on the other hand, is because of his his grind-it-out mentality. It opens the window for the other guy and that's what the original argument was.

But congrats, you PSU goobers have successfully high jacked another fun thread of ours. At this point I'm wondering if you aren't a closet Hawkeye fan...

I think you are taking offense where there isn't any. I'm not in disagreement that Nolf had a better collegiate career, was a more prolific point-scorer, and an all-time talent. I'm not even in disagreement that Hall's style leaves him more prone to an upset loss. My only point was that if one is to compare defensive prowess, a look at defensive stats (takedowns allowed, in this case) is more relevant than a look at championships won. I could see yor point if the 2 guys that are being compared win primarily on defense, but that isn't the case here. One guy gave up TD's more readily because he put more emphasis on creating offense than mastering defense.

I disagree on the Retherford take. Most times he was taken down wasn't because he got "lazy and complacent"-- it was because he was so focused on offense that he walked right into leg attacks. IIRC, the duals vs. tOSU and Michigan a couple of years ago are classic examples.

If it weren’t for an offensive juggernaut named Nolf and injuries Kemerer might have been a 4 X champ. If it weren’t for a lack of confidence in his offense and having several wrestlers flat out better than him Cash could have been a 4 time champ........

Reactions: Gobblin and MSeil
If it weren’t for an offensive juggernaut named Nolf and injuries Kemerer might have been a 4 X champ. If it weren’t for a lack of confidence in his offense and having several wrestlers flat out better than him Cash could have been a 4 time champ........

I'm not sure your analogy works. A lot less separation between Nolf and Hall than between Kemerer and Wilcke.

But go ahead and gloss over the entire point I was making just for the purpose of being oppositional. :rolleyes:

Reactions: pish69
I'm not sure your analogy works. A lot less separation between Nolf and Hall than between Kemerer and Wilcke.

But go ahead and gloss over the entire point I was making just for the purpose of being oppositional. :rolleyes:
My point is that Hall is a one time champ. The what if’s are stupid at best. As for your thoughts about Kemerer and Hall matching up I really don’t care. The matches will happen and we will see.

Not entirely true there since he has lost. Or was he not in danger, it was close and it just kind of happened? Perplexing statement.
Meaning many of his clients matches he is not close to losing and controls the whole match if Kem beats him he beats him im just saying Kem hasn't wrestled in a year and is comong off an injury it seems a stretch to say he will beat someone especially an elite wrestler like hall. I know he isn't liked by Iowa but the guy is good and Kem would have to have the match of his life to beat hall wheels hall doesn't have to have the match of his life. He's that good just saying. But it's ok if you think Kem should win. You are an Iowa fan so rooting for him isn't wrong. I'm just saying from a wrestling perspective that hall is the proven better wrestler

Hall is the proven wrestler. No denying that. I understand saying that in close matches that Hall controls he is in little danger of losing generally. I don't agree with, he is not in danger of losing. He is susceptible more so than a Nolf who generates his own points.

Hall is the favorite but I feel when you say Kem will have to have the match of his life you are seriously devaluing the talent of Kem. Easier to put it in a box of Iowa or PSU a guy you like or don't like. That has little bearing on who I think will win. I try not to deal in absolutes because everyone is beatable.

I'd put Hall over Kem right now more often than not. I'd put Kem over Meyer by an even greater margin. Transitive property aside, I never felt that Meyer had the match of his life yet he was somehow able to solve the puzzle of Hall. The match was wrestled in a style that favored the underdog.

Cenzo vs. Imar. Imar was the proven wrestler at the time. Bull vs. Cenzo. Cenzo was the proven wrestler. Sh!t happens and that is why I love this sport.

I just don't agree with the take that Kem has no shot because Hall just doesn't lose and that was where your comments seemed to be headed at least from how I read them.

If they wrestled 10 times, you feel confident that Mark would win them all? I don't. I would go maybe 7 to 3 for Hall right now until I see them go live. I don't see where Kem has distinct advantages but then again I didn't know where the Bull would get his points on Joseph either so there is that.

Doubt it is the last time I am wrong. Hopefully we get to see Kem vs. Hall 3 times this year. No idea what the outcomes will be but I know that each time I won't be going in thinking that Kem has no shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT