ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ UNLV

Iowa falls to UNLV 13-3 and gets swept. Obviously a disappointing weekend as Iowa could have done themselves some good RPI wise even going 1-2. First time I think Iowa has been swept in a weekend series since year one under Heller.

This UNLV team appears to be the real deal. They are 15-2 on the year now, haven't lost a game on Fri-Sun yet. They have decent starting pitching, relievers that can come in a close the door, and a potent offense. Their offense is very impressive. They hit for extra bases, put pressure on you, and have some power. Their lead off guy Bryson Stott is a tough tough out, hitting .400 on the year and .567 in lead off. You give UNLV free bases like Iowa did and you will pay and Iowa did.

Obviously I think it is safe to say offensively AND defensively Iowa takes a step back this year from last season. You're not going to replace a 30 HR guy like Adams, then you add McCoy in there (offense and defense) and it's asking a lot. The lack of extra base hits and power from Iowa this year is a bit more than I thought though. Too many free bases issued by this team so far this season too and that will cost you the big innings.

Still plenty of time and opportunities for this team, but I have lessened my expectations a bit. I think the 5th-7th place B1G prediction may be spot on, but time will tell and who knows when an offense could get hot.

Midweek game against Missouri State in Kansas City on Wednesday then the home opening series vs Evansville next weekend.

One last thing, no more west coast trips for Iowa athletics. In any sport.

Sobering series to be sure. All is not lost, but team has some holes. This where a healthy Whelan would help, he was probably Iowa's 2nd or 3rd-best returning bat. Performance will likely improve as the new guys play more. But so far definitely a drop-off in the offensive production.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT