ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa can beat Penn State next year! Return to Dominance for Iowa!

Although it has proven true for some time now, I am just not as sold on the current crop of PSU recruits. So far 125 looks like a swing and miss. RBY is legit, but so is DeSanto. Berge and Verkleeren are solid, but have a LONG ways to go to be top 5, let alone the bonus point machines PSU is used to. Brooks looked beatable at 174 and would be expected to take over 184 if Rasheed doesn't get his medical. I would still definitely favor Warner over Beard. Finally, I would distinctly favor Cass over Nevills.

If ever there is a time where Iowa should pounce it WILL be next year.

Also, if PSU does win it next year it will have a ton to do with significant improvement and would debunk any remaining talk about Sanderson and development of his guys.
I agree with most of this except for Brooks. I think he is going to explode on the scene immediately as a true freshman. He is just to freakishly athletic not to imo. Luckily he seems like the only true “can’t miss” guy right now, though that could certainly change.

I agree with most of this except for Brooks. I think he is going to explode on the scene immediately as a true freshman. He is just to freakishly athletic not to imo. Luckily he seems like the only true “can’t miss” guy right now, though that could certainly change.

Did you not watch Brooks at Midlands. Technically this is his "true" freshman season.

Did you not watch Brooks at Midlands. Technically this is his "true" freshman season.
Well technically you are correct I just meant next year when he’s actually wrestling for the team. I would be thrilled if you were right I just feel like he is going to be lights out though :(

Well technically you are correct I just meant next year when he’s actually wrestling for the team. I would be thrilled if you were right I just feel like he is going to be lights out though :(

Well, "technically", your premise was correct the first time, as Brooks has yet to enter college. MSU's point is understood, though.

Reactions: HawkeyeEmpire
Brooks is a Cadet FS World gold medalist and a Jr World silver medalist. He was top in his weight class and FLO's #2 p4p, only behind Gable Steveson.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I have the feeling Cael will work his magic, and once again be able to turn your typical run of the mill recruit into a pretty decent wrestler.

H0VwHw2.gif

If he is losing 4-0 to Christenson at 174, he has quite a ways to go to be a dominant force at 184. Now, I am not saying he won't prove to be a multiple AA type. I am really only referring to next season where PSU may really need him to be a major contributor.

If he is losing 4-0 to Christenson at 174, he has quite a ways to go to be a dominant force at 184. Now, I am not saying he won't prove to be a multiple AA type. I am really only referring to next season where PSU may really need him to be a major contributor.
Christensen got hurt at Midlands

Do you believe the Brooks you saw at Midlands is representative of where he's at now and where he will be next season?

Brooks is a Cadet FS World gold medalist and a Jr World silver medalist. He was top in his weight class and FLO's #2 p4p, only behind Gable Steveson.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I have the feeling Cael will work his magic, and once again be able to turn your typical run of the mill recruit into a pretty decent wrestler.

H0VwHw2.gif
Nick Reenan was a world medalist,I think. He got steamrolled by Martin last week.

Do you believe the Brooks you saw at Midlands is representative of where he's at now and where he will be next season?

I can only believe what my eyes see. Anything else would solely be conjecture. He has tons of time to improve under a program with a phenomenal recent record. He also has enough time to fill into 184. But, what I saw at midlands made it appear to me like that requires a significant amount of time and increase in size for him to be a strong AA candidate at 184, which has been a very tough weight for quite some time.

I can only believe what my eyes see. Anything else would solely be conjecture. He has tons of time to improve under a program with a phenomenal recent record. He also has enough time to fill into 184. But, what I saw at midlands made it appear to me like that requires a significant amount of time and increase in size for him to be a strong AA candidate at 184, which has been a very tough weight for quite some time.

You can choose to believe what you believe. I'm going to believe what my eyes saw and what his father said afterward.

Try it this way
125 PSU << Lee
133 RBY > DeSanto
141 Lee >> Murin
149 Verkleeren = Lugo
157 Berge > Young
165 Joesph > Marinelli
174 Hall > Kemerer
184 Rasheed >> Wilke or
184 Brooks > Wilke
197 Beard > Warner
Hwt Cassar > Cassioppi

Iowa is superior at 125, maybe 149. I know you guys believe Warner will beat Beard, but based on PSU's development of the bigger guys versus Iowa's combined with Warner's 18-19 struggles I am comfortable with my level of certainty that Beard will be superior.

Next year isn't going to be all that close. Both OSUs will be serious contenders, but the Hawks will spend their 10th NCAA championship since their last championship competing for that 4th place trophy.

Buckeyes are gonna lose McKenna, Jordan, Martin, and the Cowboys lose Rogers, Smith, White, Fix could Olympic redshirt. Michigan will definitely be in the mix. I think it's gonna be a lot closer than you think.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
Is this what Iowa has become. Maybe next year we can beat PSU (yet the season isnt over)

Nick Reenan was a world medalist,I think. He got steamrolled by Martin last week.

From what I've read, Reenan represented USA on Greco Roman teams in 2014 as a Cadet and in 2016 as Jr. He did not medal at either time. Reenan is a high quality recruit, but Brooks even more so.

Buckeyes are gonna lose McKenna, Jordan, Martin, and the Cowboys lose Rogers, Smith, White, Fix could Olympic redshirt. Michigan will definitely be in the mix. I think it's gonna be a lot closer than you think.

I think Iowa contends beginning next season. Can't wait for Kem to be back in the line-up.

Iowa with a healthy line-up is a very serious title contender next year. It will come down to guys like Warner and Cassioppi.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
I think Iowa contends beginning next season. Can't wait for Kem to be back in the line-up.

Iowa with a healthy line-up is a very serious title contender next year. It will come down to guys like Warner and Cassioppi.

No question that, if healthy, they are heavily in the mix. I actually think there could be 4 teams that have rights to claim themselves as favorites next year. It should be very interesting.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
I think Cassar will return. Who would be their 197 guy if Rasheed doesn't come back? Would it be Beard?

125-Teasdale/Teske
133-RBY
141-Lee
149-Verk
157-Berge
165-Joseph
174-Hall
184-Brooks
197-Rasheed/Beard??
285-Cassar?

Would Hall Olympic redshirt? If so, who first at 74? Joseph move up, or Manville?

I hate to say it and although very unproven, that could still be a lineup that scores a fair amount of points

Reminds me of the thousands of times Jammenz took to the message boards to warn Penn State fans to recalibrate our expectations for Bo Nickal after his true freshman year loss to Andy McCauley.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT