ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City folks, did you know “smilie” has a fan page?

Gary "Smiley" Bloore was a longtime fixture in the Iowa City and University of Iowa communities. I'm sad to read he has moved to an assisted living community in Maquoketa. While some folks may have found his demeanor unsettling, I found his easy going and cheery personality refreshing in a world awash in negativism. I hope he's doing OK and that he's healthy, happy and forever smiling.

Ran into him at George's a couple years ago. Me with my beer, he had his orange Fanta. I had heard last year that he moved away. He was around when I started school in '82

Yeah as long as you're cool with the fact that he masturbates constantly to his favorite players, because you know that's happening...
uh-well-kevin-cash-dozier.gif

He is an Iowa City legend. After my youngest was born at Mercy Hospital, I walked over to Hamburg Inn to pick up some dinner and sat next to him at the bar and had a nice chat. He was eating hamburger patties with an absurd amount of ketchup.

He is an Iowa City legend. After my youngest was born at Mercy Hospital, I walked over to Hamburg Inn to pick up some dinner and sat next to him at the bar and had a nice chat. He was eating hamburger patties with an absurd amount of ketchup.

Probably because we has mentally... off.

When you're off you don't have to pretend you don't find HS girls hot.

No, he preferred high school girls. It was creepy, but everyone just let him do it.
We have one of those up in North Iowa as well. Travels to tons of HS boys events. Takes pictures with and of them. Shows up at their houses with pictures he's taken and invites them out to eat. His house is a shrine to HS boys and KIMT ran a story on him as a "super fan".

We have one of those up in North Iowa as well. Travels to tons of HS boys events. Takes pictures with and of them. Shows up at their houses with pictures he's taken and invites them out to eat. His house is a shrine to HS boys and KIMT ran a story on him as a "super fan".

Sort of like when you have a suspected neighborhood serial killer and you just throw unused corpses in his backyard to keep him from looking for fresh meat all the time.

Smilie made custom hats for his favorite high school girl athletes that said, 'I love Heather' (or, whoever he was there to see).
He would also make custom buttons that had pictures of the girls and he would show up to games covered in the buttons, wearing his hat, sometimes a custom t-shirt as well.

Then he'd talk to all the high school girls and take pictures with them after the games. He was doing this in the 90's, and it continued until recently when he had to move away.

Most just said he was harmless, and he probably was. But, it was definitely one of those situations where if something had happened, absolutely no one would have been able to say, 'well, I didn't see that coming'.

Reactions: QChawks
Smilie made custom hats for his favorite high school girl athletes that said, 'I love Heather' (or, whoever he was there to see).
He would also make custom buttons that had pictures of the girls and he would show up to games covered in the buttons, wearing his hat, sometimes a custom t-shirt as well.

Then he'd talk to all the high school girls and take pictures with them after the games. He was doing this in the 90's, and it continued until recently when he had to move away.

Most just said he was harmless, and he probably was. But, it was definitely one of those situations where if something had happened, absolutely no one would have been able to say, 'well, I didn't see that coming'.
There's a 0% chance the guy in North Iowa doesn't jerk off to all his pics of shirtless HS boys. The fact that parents let him near their 14-17 year old kids is insane.

I remember absolutely trucking Smiley during the Quad vs Burge Foodservice softball (beer drinking) game the summer of 92...he must have flown 10 feet in the air...I can't for the life of me remember why I ran him over or why he was in my way...damn buttons went everywhere :)

I found him creepy, but everyone that worked with him said he was harmless...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT