ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has the 10th highest rate of college graduates who leave their state.

I see this point being made on a regular basis. But is this a new phenomenon? Where did Iowa rank 10 years ago? 20 years ago? 30 years ago?

Two of the biggest driving forces in Iowa’s economy are farming and manufacturing. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember. And most jobs in those sectors don’t require a bachelor’s degree.

Last edited:
I see this point being made on a regular basis. But is this a new phenomenon? Where did Iowa rank 10 years ago? 20 years ago? 30 years ago?

Two of the biggest driving forces in Iowa’s economy are farming and manufacturing. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember. And most jobs in those sectors don’t require a bachelor’s degree.
The good ones do…working for hybrid companies, as engineers for farm implements, and related industries. Skilled tradesmen (welder for example) find better wages. And opportunities elsewhere, too.

This article is just perfect, but not for the reason you posted it.

So then why have colleges and universities at all? Is it Iowa's mission to educate the rest of the country's workforce?

Just out of curiosity, when did you last live in Iowa? It's been 30+ years, right? Manufacturing has been on the decline since the 1980s in Iowa. Farms are consolidating. What job growth do you think is happening in Iowa. 9 out of 10 counties are stagnant or losing population.

So then why have colleges and universities at all? Is it Iowa's mission to educate the rest of the country's workforce?
Decent paying jobs for educators and college support staff. Not a lot of business moving too or growing in Iowa.

Company I worked for in Iowa kept selling off parts of their Iowa office whereas the Denver and Chicago offices were growing. There's not much opportunity for growth in Iowa. I moved to MD and got a 25% raise for the same work.

Just out of curiosity, when did you last live in Iowa? It's been 30+ years, right?
Manufacturing has been on the decline since the 1980s in Iowa. Farms are consolidating.
I’m well aware that a lot of manufacturing in Iowa (and across the country) has moved to Mexico or China or other countries and traditional family farms in Iowa (and across the country) have largely been replaced by corporations over the past 30 years. That doesn’t change the fact that most jobs in manufacturing and farming don’t require a bachelor’s degree and never have.

You didn’t need a bachelor’s degree to work a family farm in the 1960s and you didn’t need a bachelor’s degree to run a brake press or machining center at John Deere or Vermeer or Hon.
What job growth do you think is happening in Iowa.
Iowa’s unemployment rate is 3.2%. You can’t get much lower than that.
9 out of 10 counties are stagnant or losing population.
Has that ever not been the case? Since 1900, Iowa has the lowest population increase by percentage of any state in America.

So I ask you again - is this ‘brain drain’ a recent phenomenon? Or has it basically always been that way for at least 125 years?

Last edited:
Company I worked for in Iowa kept selling off parts of their Iowa office whereas the Denver and Chicago offices were growing. There's not much opportunity for growth in Iowa. I moved to MD and got a 25% raise for the same work.
Did that 25% raise offset the increased cost of living?

Just talking to my son’s friends, never once did cost of living come up when looking for a place to live and work. He and his friends were looking for things to do, like concerts, bars/restaurants, sporting events.
I gotta say, even a struggling city like Baltimore is a night and day difference compared to Iowa City as far as restaurants and activities.

Reactions: millah_22
Just talking to my son’s friends, never once did cost of living come up when looking for a place to live and work. He and his friends were looking for things to do, like concerts, bars/restaurants, sporting events.
Different people have different priorities. I asked Club215 about cost of living because he specifically cited a 25% pay increase as being a motivating factor in moving to Maryland.

My point is that you can live just comfortably on $100K in Iowa as you can on $125K in Maryland.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Different people have different priorities. I asked Club215 about cost of living because he specifically cited a 25% pay increase as being a motivating factor in moving to Maryland.

My point is that you can live just comfortably on $100K in Iowa as you can on $125K in Maryland.
The pay was not the motivating factor, but a welcome benefit.

And I disagree. 100k in Iowa means you're still living in Iowa.

The pay was not the motivating factor, but a welcome benefit.

And I disagree. 100k in Iowa means you're still living in Iowa.
Financially, mathematically, $100K in Iowa goes just as far as $125K in Maryland.

If you don’t like the lifestyle in Iowa then you could have just said that from the beginning instead of specifically pointing out that you got a 25% pay raise to move from the state with the 5th lowest cost of living in America to the state with the 7th highest cost of living in America.

Where in Maryland do you live? Lived in VA for 10 plus years and the further north you go, the more expensive it is to live on the coast.

If I could realistically do my job in Iowa I probably would. But I dare say there are more private chef jobs within a half mile radius of my boss’s house in Dallas than in the entire state of Iowa.
I didn’t move to Texas with the intention of becoming a private chef, but that’s what I ended up doing. Had I stayed in Iowa, I would likely be working for a chain of upscale restaurants, probably as part of a traveling opening crew.

Financially, mathematically, $100K in Iowa goes just as far as $125K in Maryland.

If you don’t like the lifestyle in Iowa then you could have just said that from the beginning instead of specifically pointing out that you got a 25% pay raise to move from the state with the 5th lowest cost of living in America to the state with the 7th highest cost of living in America.
Good point, I'm mixing things. I don't consider 100k in Iowa to match 125k in MD because that cost of living increase is not in a vacuum. There's much more available here regarding access to places (3 major airports and Amtrak), healthcare, entertainment, food.

I was noticing prior to leaving that the Iowa office of my former company was contracting where other locations were growing. It wasn't money specifically that made me consider leaving, but future growth in Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT