ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has the 10th highest rate of college graduates who leave their state.

So then why have colleges and universities at all? Is it Iowa's mission to educate the rest of the country's workforce?

Somebody has to do it.

Education has always been one of Iowa's most valuable exports. Which confuses me as to why it seems to be held in such low regard by the current leadership in Des Moines.

Just out of curiosity, when did you last live in Iowa? It's been 30+ years, right? Manufacturing has been on the decline since the 1980s in Iowa. Farms are consolidating. What job growth do you think is happening in Iowa. 9 out of 10 counties are stagnant or losing population.
Well let's check the numbers then and see how much Iowa is losing population and oh gee look we seem to be on a slow but steady incline every 10 years since 1990 and with a current population of 3.2 million the state is as "populated" as it's ever been.

People are definitely fleeing in droves (aka getting the f*** out).............

🤔

You/others: "Those population numbers are lies and will decrease eventually, you just wait and see!!!"

f95cb601-5db5-4cb3-9223-85ea67d7ddeb_text.gif

iowa would have potential if you think about it: nice clean little small towns... no traffic to speak of in big cities, relatively lower cost of living , the cold sucks
We don't need to follow in everyone else's footsteps and overpopulate our state, especially with a lot of the riff raff that us out there.

We're in the unique position to be more selective.

It's not our fault, though, that poor marketing and poor education about our state has kept us from recruiting certain key demographics that can help us win more national championships.

You're insufferable, worse than @Here_4_a_Day because you actually believe your tripe...
James….Iowa’s political leadership tghe past decade or so, certainly has blinders as to what really might be issues in Iowa’s growth.
Iowa’s “problems” are hardly Howe Iowa conducts its elections…hardly Iowa's problems with unions or how it funds its Area Education Associations….
Iowa’s defunding public schools, Iowa’s stifling of unions, Iowa’s increasingly complicating election rules, its limiting of local election control, its war on elimination all abortion….these are things that matter…there’s are things other states don’t mess with for the most part….and that’s why other states grow in economics and population. These are things that your kids and mine saw growing up. These are things kids of today see and weigh…before deciding to leave Iowa for another location.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Baltimore City
Good on you for living there. Great city to visit in certain areas so be careful my friend. Hope they can turn it around and get the murder rate down like they did in Richmond, VA back in the day. Best of luck on the east coast living. I’d move back to the VA Beach area if I had to move to a city on the coast. It’s close proximity to everything up and down the coast.

Reading this thread, you’d think you’d walk outside and see every street filled only with elderly folks and their walkers, tumbleweeds drifting across empty highways littered with rusted out Chevys and Oldsmobiles, abandoned high rises with boarded up windows, and rows and rows of highly educated millionaire young people standing across the Iowa border pointing and laughing back at all the poor boomer Iowans who aren’t as smart and rich as they are… and who didn’t flee the state cuz big bad Kim is SO mean.

Then reality hits and you actually walk outside and see things aren’t that bad at all. That not everyone is concerned with making a ton of money and being the tallest midget in the room.

But hey, politics and such.

Reading this thread, you’d think you’d walk outside and see every street filled only with elderly folks and their walkers, tumbleweeds drifting across empty highways littered with rusted out Chevys and Oldsmobiles, abandoned high rises with boarded up windows, and rows and rows of highly educated millionaire young people standing across the Iowa border pointing and laughing back at all the poor boomer Iowans who aren’t as smart and rich as they are… and who didn’t flee the state cuz big bad Kim is SO mean.

Then reality hits and you actually walk outside and see things aren’t that bad at all. That not everyone is concerned with making a ton of money and being the tallest midget in the room.

What's your industry? Have you tried to hire college graduates any time recently?

Good on you for living there. Great city to visit in certain areas so be careful my friend. Hope they can turn it around and get the murder rate down like they did in Richmond, VA back in the day. Best of luck on the east coast living. I’d move back to the VA Beach area if I had to move to a city on the coast. It’s close proximity to everything up and down the coast.
We have an off-street parking spot and don't go into the rough areas without a specific reason. Honestly I was closer to shootings in Iowa City than I have been in Baltimore

We have an off-street parking spot and don't go into the rough areas without a specific reason. Honestly I was closer to shootings in Iowa City than I have been in Baltimore

Personally, I'd rather have the stigma exist so there can still be a place that exists on the east coast that doesn't have a chipotle, dunkin, or various local "restaurant group" every 3rd storefront.

I didn’t realize there are that many shootings in IC compared to Baltimore.

I blame the farmers for polluting our beautiful nature. But in all reality it’s what you make of your situation. I live in Waterloo and I am perfectly content with what I have going on.

There’s a lot to criticize Iowa and its sh!tty government for. Not sure college grads leaving is one of them. Pretty sure that’s always been the case. The weather sucks and there’s not exactly a robust list of cultural or exciting things to do. Also there’s not a lot of college-required opportunities in the state outside of the two major metros.

But our government’s policies certainly don’t help either.

It's leftwing propaganda on steroids. It's fascinating to watch people lie about Iowa all because their party isn't in power.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
So then why have colleges and universities at all? Is it Iowa's mission to educate the rest of the country's workforce?
Because without them the economies of those areas would be a fraction of what they are today. Take the U out of Iowa City and you have Keokuk.

Well let's check the numbers then and see how much Iowa is losing population and oh gee look we seem to be on a slow but steady incline every 10 years since 1990 and with a current population of 3.2 million the state is as "populated" as it's ever been.

People are definitely fleeing in droves (aka getting the f*** out).............

🤔

You/others: "Those population numbers are lies and will decrease eventually, you just wait and see!!!"

f95cb601-5db5-4cb3-9223-85ea67d7ddeb_text.gif
There is a difference between population and college graduates leaving the state.

Clearly if a Democrat was governor Apple would build a giant tech campus in Algona.

Rural America is shrinking. The cities are doing fine.

If people want to leave then leave.

I am over 5 generations on both sides...I do think of leaving, but why leave the home of my ancestors to trash like @jamesvanderwulf and his ilk?
I thought you said you were headed to the shithole, crime infested state of New Mexico. Yeah I just passed through on there on my way to the winter home in Arizona. Even at the Holiday Inn in Albuquerque the homeless trash crashed the continental breakfast buffet before management ran them out. When you get to Kansas on the way home it looks like paradise compared to NM. They should have built a bigger A bomb in 1944...

Like those who claim $100K in Iowa City equates to $125K in Baltimore?
That 9% difference that you quoted is deceptive because it's largely based on housing costs. And the idea that a typical 3BR/2BA house in Iowa City is $389K in Iowa City but only $371K in Baltimore is silly for at least a couple of reasons. First, if you work in Iowa City you don't have to live right in Iowa City. It's easy to find a nice 3BR/2BA house in a surrounding community in the $250-300K range and still be within a 15 minute drive to work. And the only reason the median house in Baltimore is only $371K is because that figure includes houses in neighborhoods that even Club215 admits he would never venture without a specific reason, let alone live there. Sure, you could probably buy a 3BR house in Sandtown for $150K, so long as you don't mind feeling like you're living in an episode of The Wire. But if you want to live in a neighborhood that's anywhere near as safe as most parts of Johnson County, Iowa, then you can expect to pay more like $400K.

22% of that additional $25K in salary goes directly to federal income taxes. 7.65% goes to FICA. 5% goes to the state of Maryland. 3.2% goes to the city of Baltimore. 38%, or about $9500, is gone before it even reaches your bank account.

Rent is about 59% higher in Baltimore than in Iowa City. So if you're a recent college graduate who can't afford to buy a home yet, you're going to be paying an additional $8500 a year in rent. Now $18K of your pay raise is already gone. And that's before you pay higher prices for trivial things like groceries and utilities.

Wanna own a car? Prepare for sticker shock because auto insurance rates in Baltimore are roughly twice as much as they are in Iowa City. If you're married and your wife absolutely insists on also having a car of her own then you're barely going to be left with enough extra cash to buy some Orioles tickets.

That 9% difference that you quoted is deceptive because it's largely based on housing costs. And the idea that a typical 3BR/2BA house in Iowa City is $389K in Iowa City but only $371K in Baltimore is silly for at least a couple of reasons. First, if you work in Iowa City you don't have to live right in Iowa City. It's easy to find a nice 3BR/2BA house in a surrounding community in the $250-300K range and still be within a 15 minute drive to work. And the only reason the median house in Baltimore is only $371K is because that figure includes houses in neighborhoods that even Club215 admits he would never venture without a specific reason, let alone live there. Sure, you could probably buy a 3BR house in Sandtown for $150K, so long as you don't mind feeling like you're living in an episode of The Wire. But if you want to live in a neighborhood that's anywhere near as safe as most parts of Johnson County, Iowa, then you can expect to pay more like $400K.

22% of that additional $25K in salary goes directly to federal income taxes. 7.65% goes to FICA. 5% goes to the state of Maryland. 3.2% goes to the city of Baltimore. 38%, or about $9500, is gone before it even reaches your bank account.

Rent is about 59% higher in Baltimore than in Iowa City. So if you're a recent college graduate who can't afford to buy a home yet, you're going to be paying an additional $8500 a year in rent. Now $18K of your pay raise is already gone. And that's before you pay higher prices for trivial things like groceries and utilities.

Wanna own a car? Prepare for sticker shock because auto insurance rates in Baltimore are roughly twice as much as they are in Iowa City. If you're married and your wife absolutely insists on also having a car of her own then you're barely going to be left with enough extra cash to buy some Orioles tickets.
I ask: how much does it cost for an Iowa city resident to see a major league baseball game, say on a Tuesday night? Here it's $10 and whatever I want to spend on beer. Can't do that anywhere in Iowa.

I ask: how much does it cost for an Iowa city resident to see a major league baseball game, say on a Tuesday night? Here it's $10 and whatever I want to spend on beer. Can't do that anywhere in Iowa.
That's true. Like I said earlier, different people have different priorities. It sounds like Baltimore is a good fit for your lifestyle, and that's a good thing for you. Not everyone has those priorities. Some people prefer living in a small town with less congestion and traffic. For those people, sitting on the back patio having some beers with the neighbors is just as much fun. And that's fine for them.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT