ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has the 10th highest rate of college graduates who leave their state.

That's true. Like I said earlier, different people have different priorities. It sounds like Baltimore is a good fit for your lifestyle, and that's a good thing for you. Not everyone has those priorities. Some people prefer living in a small town with less congestion and traffic. For those people, sitting on the back patio having some beers with the neighbors is just as much fun. And that's fine for them.
What I'm saying is, even if at the end of the month I had the same entertainment spending power in Baltimore as I did in Iowa City, there's a ton more to spend it on.

Not to mention other benefits. My wife has been going to Johns Hopkins for migraine treatment since moving here. It's much improved and she's getting options now that take years to make it to the Midwest. Her new neurologist kinda laughed at the treatment program the CRapids doc had her on.

What I'm saying is, even if at the end of the month I had the same entertainment spending power in Baltimore as I did in Iowa City, there's a ton more to spend it on.
There's no disputing there are more entertainment options in Baltimore than in Iowa City. That's fine for you.

But for some people those additional options come at a price they aren't willing to pay, not just in terms of money. Some people simply don't like living in a large city. And that's fine for them, too.

My point is. The trend has zero to do with politics even though about once a month we get a thread wanting to make it about politics.
To me these small towns have an opportunity to entice young remote work professionals to come live in their communities. Yes we know Keota Iowa won't have a large sports team or music venue, but it can offer a good life at a great price. However, these small towns are filled with people who are leery of outsiders and would rather people "just leave it they're going to leave" instead of welcoming them and their professional salaries into the local economy.

I knew someone who was briefly on the council in a small town in Iowa. They wanted to expand the parks and add bike trails, and complete sidewalk networks in town so it was easier to walk to places. Pretty easy stuff to raise the standard of living in this town, and maybe attract a few professionals to move in. It was shot down and they have since left the council and will soon leave the town. It was kinda crazy the animosity some people had towards spending public money on bike trails.

There's no disputing there are more entertainment options in Baltimore than in Iowa City. That's fine for you.

But for some people those additional options come at a price they aren't willing to pay, not just in terms of money. Some people simply don't like living in a large city. And that's fine for them, too.
Yeah clearly. And clearly the college grads aren't the ones sticking around.

Reactions: RileyHawk
And clearly the college grads aren't the ones sticking around.
200w.gif

To me these small towns have an opportunity to entice young remote work professionals to come live in their communities.

I disagree with you on this one. Remote workers have an extra 2-3 hours a day between commuting, getting ready for work etc. as well as more money at the end of the day from not spending money on random crap while working outside of the house. They have time and money, and they want to spend it on getting out of the house, hence rents and home prices through the roof anywhere that the weather is decent and/or in urban centers.

🤣

Not shocking that an insecure, irrelevant bigot like yourself would think fostering an inclusive learning environment makes someone an "ideologue."

The world is leaving you behind, Grandpa.

Again, your inferiority complex is showing.

😘🤏❄️

DEI is a grift.

It's a mechanism for ideologues to push a political agenda.

Anyone else wondering just how accurate this survey is, considering that it relies entirely on data culled from LinkedIn profiles?

I mean, are people in small towns just as likely to have a LinkedIn profile as people in big cities? If you grow up in small-town Iowa, get a degree in education, and return to your hometown to take a teaching job, how likely are you to even bother having a LinkedIn profile?

That 9% difference that you quoted is deceptive because it's largely based on housing costs. And the idea that a typical 3BR/2BA house in Iowa City is $389K in Iowa City but only $371K in Baltimore is silly for at least a couple of reasons. First, if you work in Iowa City you don't have to live right in Iowa City. It's easy to find a nice 3BR/2BA house in a surrounding community in the $250-300K range and still be within a 15 minute drive to work. And the only reason the median house in Baltimore is only $371K is because that figure includes houses in neighborhoods that even Club215 admits he would never venture without a specific reason, let alone live there. Sure, you could probably buy a 3BR house in Sandtown for $150K, so long as you don't mind feeling like you're living in an episode of The Wire. But if you want to live in a neighborhood that's anywhere near as safe as most parts of Johnson County, Iowa, then you can expect to pay more like $400K.

22% of that additional $25K in salary goes directly to federal income taxes. 7.65% goes to FICA. 5% goes to the state of Maryland. 3.2% goes to the city of Baltimore. 38%, or about $9500, is gone before it even reaches your bank account.

Rent is about 59% higher in Baltimore than in Iowa City. So if you're a recent college graduate who can't afford to buy a home yet, you're going to be paying an additional $8500 a year in rent. Now $18K of your pay raise is already gone. And that's before you pay higher prices for trivial things like groceries and utilities.

Wanna own a car? Prepare for sticker shock because auto insurance rates in Baltimore are roughly twice as much as they are in Iowa City. If you're married and your wife absolutely insists on also having a car of her own then you're barely going to be left with enough extra cash to buy some Orioles tickets.
All of that is taken into account. You were wrong.

I find it hilarious that you spent so much time desperately trying to find a way to spin the numbers so you can be right.

That's true. Like I said earlier, different people have different priorities. It sounds like Baltimore is a good fit for your lifestyle, and that's a good thing for you. Not everyone has those priorities. Some people prefer living in a small town with less congestion and traffic. For those people, sitting on the back patio having some beers with the neighbors is just as much fun. And that's fine for them.
Which is why they pay, on average, 9% less in Iowa City than Baltimore. But it's not 25%.

Correct. Otherwise why would Texas, Florida, Georgia, SC, NC, Tennessee, Arkansas and Kentucky have net gains while Vermont, NY, Mass, Conn and Delaware have net losses, just like Iowa...
Because weather trumps politics? (Pun completely intended)

I thought you said you were headed to the shithole, crime infested state of New Mexico. Yeah I just passed through on there on my way to the winter home in Arizona. Even at the Holiday Inn in Albuquerque the homeless trash crashed the continental breakfast buffet before management ran them out. When you get to Kansas on the way home it looks like paradise compared to NM. They should have built a bigger A bomb in 1944...
James….poverty has its price…NM might be a look into the not too distant future for about 30-40 Iowa counties… New Mexico still has Santa Fe, remember..

All of that is taken into account.
No, it isn't. $371K is the median price of a 3BR/2BA home in the city of Baltimore, not the median price of 3BR/2BA homes in Baltimore neighborhoods where white people from Iowa would feel comfortable living. If you want to buy a home in a reasonably safe neighborhood then you're going to pay a lot more in Baltimore than you would in Johnson County, Iowa.

• Haha
Because weather trumps politics? (Pun completely intended)
Think really, really hard - squint if you have to - and see if you can identify something Iowa, Vermont, Connecticut, Delaware, and Rhode Island all have in common aside from the fact that they all have one of the highest 'brain drain" rate in the country.

I'll give you a hint - it's not politics.

No, it isn't. $371K is the median price of a 3BR/2BA home in the city of Baltimore, not the median price of 3BR/2BA homes in Baltimore neighborhoods where white people from Iowa would feel comfortable living. If you want to buy a home in a reasonably safe neighborhood then you're going to pay a lot more in Baltimore than you would in Johnson County, Iowa.

Well, not really

Wait until they get caught in that shitshow that is public education now. They will run to those private schools if the money is there.

Actually, not that much more.

To me these small towns have an opportunity to entice young remote work professionals to come live in their communities. Yes we know Keota Iowa won't have a large sports team or music venue, but it can offer a good life at a great price. However, these small towns are filled with people who are leery of outsiders and would rather people "just leave it they're going to leave" instead of welcoming them and their professional salaries into the local economy.

I knew someone who was briefly on the council in a small town in Iowa. They wanted to expand the parks and add bike trails, and complete sidewalk networks in town so it was easier to walk to places. Pretty easy stuff to raise the standard of living in this town, and maybe attract a few professionals to move in. It was shot down and they have since left the council and will soon leave the town. It was kinda crazy the animosity some people had towards spending public money on bike trails.
No young person with a lot of extra time on their hands is going to want to live in a small town. They're not going to live in a place that's 70 miles from a Whole Foods or a good Thai restaurant.

You will try to spin ANYTHING to avoid admitting you are wrong. LOL.

Reactions: lucas80
Think really, really hard - squint if you have to - and see if you can identify something Iowa, Vermont, Connecticut, Delaware, and Rhode Island all have in common aside from the fact that they all have one of the highest 'brain drain" rate in the country.

I'll give you a hint - it's not politics.
It's weather.

You're precious.

It's weather.

You're precious.
Or...maybe it's the fact that none of those states have any major cities.

Do you honestly think Iowa's college graduates are moving out of state for better weather? They're mostly moving to big cities, where the job opportunities are. They're mostly moving to places like Chicago and Minneapolis and Kansas City, where the weather isn't much better than where they came from.

I would imagine that a lot of college graduates from Rhode Island and Vermont and Delaware end up in cities like Boston or New York or Philadelphia, where the weather isn't much better than where they came from.

• Haha
Or...maybe it's the fact that none of those states have any major cities.

Do you honestly think Iowa's college graduates are moving out of state for better weather? They're mostly moving to big cities, where the job opportunities are. They're mostly moving to places like Chicago and Minneapolis and Kansas City, where the weather isn't much better than where they came from.

I would imagine that a lot of college graduates from Rhode Island and Vermont and Delaware end up in cities like Boston or New York or Philadelphia, where the weather isn't much better than where they came from.
LOL. The lengths you will go. Cities are a huge attractor, as is weather.

We know they aren't staying in Iowa because the cost of living is so much lower.

Reactions: lucas80
Good point, I'm mixing things. I don't consider 100k in Iowa to match 125k in MD because that cost of living increase is not in a vacuum. There's much more available here regarding access to places (3 major airports and Amtrak), healthcare, entertainment, food.

I was noticing prior to leaving that the Iowa office of my former company was contracting where other locations were growing. It wasn't money specifically that made me consider leaving, but future growth in Iowa.
There are also far more paths from 125K to 200K, 300K and more in MD than IA.

I’m well aware that a lot of manufacturing in Iowa (and across the country) has moved to Mexico or China or other countries and traditional family farms in Iowa (and across the country) have largely been replaced by corporations over the past 30 years. That doesn’t change the fact that most jobs in manufacturing and farming don’t require a bachelor’s degree and never have.

You didn’t need a bachelor’s degree to work a family farm in the 1960s and you didn’t need a bachelor’s degree to run a brake press or machining center at John Deere or Vermeer or Hon.

Iowa’s unemployment rate is 3.2%. You can’t get much lower than that.

Has that ever not been the case? Since 1900, Iowa has the lowest population increase by percentage of any state in America.

So I ask you again - is this ‘brain drain’ a recent phenomenon? Or has it basically always been that way for at least 125 years?
Unemployment rate doesn’t provide any context as to why college educated people are leaving the state. It just means jobs are being filled. College educated people are leaving the state versus starting a career at Casey’s.
A vibrant, growing economy needs an educated workforce.

Reading this thread, you’d think you’d walk outside and see every street filled only with elderly folks and their walkers, tumbleweeds drifting across empty highways littered with rusted out Chevys and Oldsmobiles, abandoned high rises with boarded up windows, and rows and rows of highly educated millionaire young people standing across the Iowa border pointing and laughing back at all the poor boomer Iowans who aren’t as smart and rich as they are… and who didn’t flee the state cuz big bad Kim is SO mean.

Then reality hits and you actually walk outside and see things aren’t that bad at all. That not everyone is concerned with making a ton of money and being the tallest midget in the room.

But hey, politics and such.
That does actually sound like council bluffs

This article is just perfect, but not for the reason you posted it.
Schools focusing on Diversity, Equity and inclusion. That's why we have fallen behind the rest of the world as far as testing scores, etc. Kids get along fine until adult f them up.
Put the focus on academics and stop with the social engineering.
If this young lady wants to focus on "wishy washy bullshit", California or New York would be the perfect place for her.
Good luck to her ever finding an affordable home to purchase. $6.00 a gallon gas is pretty cool too.
She can get her eyes open to all of the "equity" there. She can witness the small cities of homeless on the streets while the millionaires zoom by in their $200k cars heading for their gated communities.
Yessir, Iowa is just a horrible place..
Good bye young lady. (guessing you may be back soon)

James….Iowa’s political leadership tghe past decade or so, certainly has blinders as to what really might be issues in Iowa’s growth.
Iowa’s “problems” are hardly Howe Iowa conducts its elections…hardly Iowa's problems with unions or how it funds its Area Education Associations….
Iowa’s defunding public schools, Iowa’s stifling of unions, Iowa’s increasingly complicating election rules, its limiting of local election control, its war on elimination all abortion….these are things that matter…there’s are things other states don’t mess with for the most part….and that’s why other states grow in economics and population. These are things that your kids and mine saw growing up. These are things kids of today see and weigh…before deciding to leave Iowa for another location.
People are leaving California and New York in droves. Those places have the most liberal baby killing laws in the country so there goes your theory on that one.
High cost of living, high crime rates and shit piles in the streets. Ah yes, California dreaming.. Iowa is just a horrible place to live.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT