ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has the 10th highest rate of college graduates who leave their state.

Correct. Otherwise why would Texas, Florida, Georgia, SC, NC, Tennessee, Arkansas and Kentucky have net gains while Vermont, NY, Mass, Conn and Delaware have net losses, just like Iowa...
It's weather.

You're precious.
Great you're finally getting it. OP started a thread to somehow bash Iowa politics for some college grads leaving the state and even the Uber Libs have decided he was wrong. Progress...

Great you're finally getting it. OP started a thread to somehow bash Iowa politics for some college grads leaving the state and even the Uber Libs have decided he was wrong. Progress...
Actually the OP started a thread pointing out that Iowa grads are leaving the state for jobs and better career opportunities. They are and those opportunities are available in many places. Some of which have better weather.

You're not very good at this.

Reactions: nelly02
Actually the OP started a thread pointing out that Iowa grads are leaving the state for jobs and better career opportunities. They are and those opportunities are available in many places. Some of which have better weather.

You're not very good at this.
Then he linked an opinion piece blaming the Iowa political climate for the issue. Of course the facts are people have been leaving agrarian states for decades as less labor is required for farming due technological advances, but you and the OP likely knew this. Who am I kidding? You're clueless...

Then he linked an opinion piece blaming the Iowa political climate for the issue. Of course the facts are people have been leaving agrarian states for decades as less labor is required for farming due technological advances, but you and the OP likely knew this. Who am I kidding? You're clueless...
He linked an accurate article that demonstrates Iowa is losing college graduates. It's mind numbingly stupid to claim the reason is less need for farm labor - that has virtually nothing to do with it. It's for better opportunities just as the article and the OP states. The political climate is another factor just as weather is. There's not much that can be done about the weather but changing the political climate to be more attractive to young, educated people is. That won't happen anytime soon, if ever, due to the stranglehold the republicans have in the state. It's an issue that some of you want to ignore - nevertheless it is an issue.

People are leaving California and New York in droves. Those places have the most liberal baby killing laws in the country so there goes your theory on that one.
High cost of living, high crime rates and shit piles in the streets. Ah yes, California dreaming.. Iowa is just a horrible place to live.
With logic like yours blubber….how can I argue. I read where Iowa has the slowest/lowest growth rate in the US over the past 60 years…could that be right?

Didn’t read through everything so maybe it’s been posted. But I’d be curious how many came to Iowa to get a degree and then left. Also how many that grew up in Iowa and want to leave the state will come back in another 5-10 years?

Denial is the most predictable human response.

It’s almost as if the programming and radicalization being done by the self described activists on that campus don’t exist.

Why are you trying to erase them?

If you believe colleges are teaching white kids to hate themselves then you also believed that high schools were putting litter boxes in the bathrooms for "furry" students.

I know you parrot everything Elon tweets but take a moment and use some critical thinking.

Reactions: lucas80 and nelly02
The pay was not the motivating factor, but a welcome benefit.

And I disagree. 100k in Iowa means you're still living in Iowa.
My job has moved me all around the country. There are good things and bad things everywhere I lived. Outside of Iowa, I've always been in large to very large cities, and as far as things to do goes, of course big cities have more to offer. However, I never spent hours in traffic in Iowa, I never stayed away from downtown due to crime in Iowa, I never had to pay $500k to get an average house in Iowa. Golf in Iowa is practically free compared to $75-80 per round at an average large city course. It's all a matter of your priorities and perspective. (The winters in Iowa do suck however.)

Didn’t read through everything so maybe it’s been posted. But I’d be curious how many came to Iowa to get a degree and then left. Also how many that grew up in Iowa and want to leave the state will come back in another 5-10 years?
Brain drain refers to citizens of a state that receive a degree in state and leave.

This type of data would be much more informative. But the original topic as dissolved into politics posturing.

Back to the athletic boards I go. Catch y'all in a few weeks. LOL

220px-John_F._Lacey.jpg

This type of data would be much more informative. But the original topic as dissolved into politics posturing.

Back to the athletic boards I go. Catch y'all in a few weeks. LOL
It would be nice if people understood the term brain drain. But that hasn't worked as well.

Ok so what about the ones that come back in 5-10 years because they realize Iowa isn’t so bad and want to raise a family here.
That isn't part of the definition. Maybe you can contribute something and try to find those figures. Edit: I am sure you won't check those figures because they wouldn't be flattering.

People are leaving California and New York in droves. Those places have the most liberal baby killing laws in the country so there goes your theory on that one.
High cost of living, high crime rates and shit piles in the streets. Ah yes, California dreaming.. Iowa is just a horrible place to live.
Iowa just had shit everywhere else, and you get to smell it when you walk outside.

My job has moved me all around the country. There are good things and bad things everywhere I lived. Outside of Iowa, I've always been in large to very large cities, and as far as things to do goes, of course big cities have more to offer. However, I never spent hours in traffic in Iowa, I never stayed away from downtown due to crime in Iowa, I never had to pay $500k to get an average house in Iowa. Golf in Iowa is practically free compared to $75-80 per round at an average large city course. It's all a matter of your priorities and perspective. (The winters in Iowa do suck however.)
Cool. The problem with Iowa is there aren't that many high paying jobs as other states. And the companies that are there, in my experience, are expanding their footprint out of state.

Schools focusing on Diversity, Equity and inclusion. That's why we have fallen behind the rest of the world as far as testing scores, etc. Kids get along fine until adult f them up.
Put the focus on academics and stop with the social engineering.
If this young lady wants to focus on "wishy washy bullshit", California or New York would be the perfect place for her.
Good luck to her ever finding an affordable home to purchase. $6.00 a gallon gas is pretty cool too.
She can get her eyes open to all of the "equity" there. She can witness the small cities of homeless on the streets while the millionaires zoom by in their $200k cars heading for their gated communities.
Yessir, Iowa is just a horrible place..
Good bye young lady. (guessing you may be back soon)
Why aren't people moving to Iowa if it's Heaven on Earth?
Been to Columbus Junction, or any of our fine towns anchored by a protein production facility? Not very appealing to young families.

That isn't part of the definition. Maybe you can contribute something and try to find those figures. Edit: I am sure you won't check those figures because they wouldn't be flattering.
I probably won’t check because I honestly don’t really care if people are leaving the state.
But, I’ve known plenty of people that leave for a bit but they always come back.
I love living in Iowa and frankly it doesn’t matter to me one way or the other if people are leaving the state once they graduate.
I hope that’s flattering enough for you.

I probably won’t check because I honestly don’t really care if people are leaving the state.
But, I’ve known plenty of people that leave for a bit but they always come back.
I love living in Iowa and frankly it doesn’t matter to me one way or the other if people are leaving the state once they graduate.
I hope that’s flattering enough for you.
I am sorry I triggered you for claiming something that you can't prove.

He linked an accurate article that demonstrates Iowa is losing college graduates. It's mind numbingly stupid to claim the reason is less need for farm labor - that has virtually nothing to do with it. It's for better opportunities just as the article and the OP states. The political climate is another factor just as weather is. There's not much that can be done about the weather but changing the political climate to be more attractive to young, educated people is. That won't happen anytime soon, if ever, due to the stranglehold the republicans have in the state. It's an issue that some of you want to ignore - nevertheless it is an issue.
The only “ fact “ was more college degrees are leaving northern states than are staying. The other 90% of the article are opinions generated by a political professor and his students that are clearly “ guided “ by same ideological professor. That’s why Lucas posted it, one of the self proclaimed lib lapdogs of HORT. He admits as much…

Why aren't people moving to Iowa if it's Heaven on Earth?

Limited number of high paying jobs that aren't associated with agriculture in one fashion or another, and no real large city environment to speak of,.. Heaven on earth means different things to different people...

Financially, mathematically, $100K in Iowa goes just as far as $125K in Maryland.

If you don’t like the lifestyle in Iowa then you could have just said that from the beginning instead of specifically pointing out that you got a 25% pay raise to move from the state with the 5th lowest cost of living in America to the state with the 7th highest cost of living in America.

We moved from DC area employment and Maryland's Eastern Shore residence to rural Iowa to retire. Housing costs were similar and taxes here are higher. We are Iowa natives and situations steered us "home". God, I miss the Chesapeake Bay and the lifestyle, but home is home.

Limited number of high paying jobs that aren't associated with agriculture in one fashion or another, and no real large city environment to speak of,.. Heaven on earth means different things to different people...

Des Moines is the fastest growing metro in the Midwest. No one is noticing the lack of business our Senators, Representatives and Governer are not luring to the State. How do you notice something not happening?

Kentucky, Missouri, Minnesota, Kansas, Tennessee are blossoming with new industries. WTF with IOWA? Are Pig Nuts, Corn Ball and Covid Kim lazy, uncaring or incompetent? Do the nitwits know there is more than agriculture? Are there human beings within the state capable of assembling automobiles? Have they used their enough influence to pursue things beneficial to the State?

Why do surrounding states land industries and Iowa is stuck.

At least one positive development, amirite.
Like I mentioned a few times in this thread. How do we know all these graduates moving away are people we want to keep here in iowa. I also mentioned just because they have an Iowa degree doesn’t mean they are the best and brightest people we have in the state.

As I have a son graduating this May and a daughter who graduated in 2020 I can tell you definitely the backwards politics in Iowa are a major turn off for them and their fellow recent grads.

Is it worse than ever? I don’t have data. Anecdotally though I’ve never heard people identify politics as a major factor in why they don’t want to work here as much as I have over the past half decade.

As I have a son graduating this May and a daughter who graduated in 2020 I can tell you definitely the backwards politics in Iowa are a major turn off for them and their fellow recent grads.

Is it worse than ever? I don’t have data. Anecdotally though I’ve never heard people identify politics as a major factor in why they don’t want to work here as much as I have over the past half decade.
I’ve also never heard middle school and high school kids talk about politics like they do today. I feel bad for most of the kids because they most likely have a parent at home always bitching about something in politics and don’t get to form their own opinions as they grow up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT