ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has the 10th highest rate of college graduates who leave their state.

As I have a son graduating this May and a daughter who graduated in 2020 I can tell you definitely the backwards politics in Iowa are a major turn off for them and their fellow recent grads.

Is it worse than ever? I don’t have data. Anecdotally though I’ve never heard people identify politics as a major factor in why they don’t want to work here as much as I have over the past half decade.

Go Away GIF by NETFLIX

Not going anywhere and the boy is staying here to work too.

We will be part of the cohort taking out the trash that is the Iowa GOP over the next decade. It’s coming, deal with it.

You'll all be the same malcontents 10 years from now as you are today.

Iowa was once purple. Your way of thinking has turned the state red hot. The citizenry has rejected your politics. That should inspire some self reflection amongst you and your friends. Yet here you are doubling down.

Iowa was once purple. Your way of thinking has turned the state red hot. The citizenry has rejected your politics. That should inspire some self reflection amongst you and your friends. Yet here you are doubling down.
Your ilk are a dying breed.

The embrace of authoritarianism is a dead cat bounce.

It’s coming.

As I have a son graduating this May and a daughter who graduated in 2020 I can tell you definitely the backwards politics in Iowa are a major turn off for them and their fellow recent grads.

Is it worse than ever? I don’t have data. Anecdotally though I’ve never heard people identify politics as a major factor in why they don’t want to work here as much as I have over the past half decade.

Where are they going? Honest question

I used to have an unwritten policy that any iowa grad would at minimum get an interview if his/her resume came across and I legitimately haven’t seen one in probably 7 or 8 years

Where are they going? Honest question

I used to have an unwritten policy that any iowa grad would at minimum get an interview if his/her resume came across and I legitimately haven’t seen one in probably 7 or 8 years
A lot of mid-to-large cities from my observation: Denver, Austin, Madison, Indy, Minneapolis, etc.

And of course many still go to Chicago.

Reactions: RileyHawk

I always thought the state was black and gold..........

I have a son graduating from Purdue in May as well. He would never consider living in the Midwest but it's nothing political. He wanted to be somewhere out west for the mountains and he landed a gig in Vegas.

My daughter graduates from Iowa in the summer. She likes Iowa City okay, but Iowa would be one of the last places she'd want to settle in given the conservative bent of the state and her preference for the mountains and proximity to the ocean out west. The only Midwest locale that's a remote possibility is Chicago. She loves the city and all it has to offer.🤞

Reactions: torbee

I would say the reason people that are young move out is because it’s Iowa. One of the worst tourist states with not much to do, a bottom 5 state in terms of cities to do stuff in, our nature scene is beyond lacking, and small towns suck for young people. My plan was to get a job with a company in Des Moines out of college then move out of state once I saved up but shit happens and I ended up loving the Des Moines metro and Iowa to raise a family. Not many young people gives a rats ass about politics as much as everyone makes it out to be.

I wonder what the numbers are for young people that move out but come back to raise a family due to how attitudes change from out of college to in their 30s?

Open racism is what turned Iowa red. Neither McCain nor Romney offered anything for the racists of this state. So they stayed home. Only after Trump made racism acceptable did the racists come out in droves to vote.

Your thinking is the problem. Young people with college degrees are the most mobile members of society, and they are leaving Iowa. They want clean air and clean water. They want green spaces and recreational opportunities. They want autonomy over their bodies. They don't hate LGBTQ people and don't want their friends discriminated against. They want economic opportunity. They don't want book bans.
Congrats. The less educated and less marketable are the ones staying.

Your thinking is the problem. Young people with college degrees are the most mobile members of society, and they are leaving Iowa. They want clean air and clean water. They want green spaces and recreational opportunities. They want autonomy over their bodies. They don't hate LGBTQ people and don't want their friends discriminated against. They want economic opportunity. They don't want book bans.

Cults are bad lucas.

Cults are bad lucas.
I'm not in one, and you are off the point. Young people are leaving this state. Young people are not moving to this state. If you want to refute the point that young people are not leaving the state, or that young people are moving to Iowa in droves, please provide a link. Look, you are a bit of a dullard, and nowhere near as clever as you think you are when you troll, but if you think Iowa is on the right track, then young people would be staying, and young people would be moving here.

I'm not in one, and you are off the point. Young people are leaving this state. Young people are not moving to this state. If you want to refute the point that young people are not leaving the state, or that young people are moving to Iowa in droves, please provide a link. Look, you are a bit of a dullard, and nowhere near as clever as you think you are when you troll, but if you think Iowa is on the right track, then young people would be staying, and young people would be moving here.

Young people leaving the state is nothing new lucas. You know this, yet you're making it political. You're in a cult.

I was torn when I left 20 years ago. Thought Iowa treated/prepared me very well.

Now? I don’t see myself ever moving back. It’s gone downhill very quickly. Hopefully that changes.

I was torn when I left 20 years ago. Thought Iowa treated/prepared me very well.

Now? I don’t see myself ever moving back. It’s gone downhill very quickly. Hopefully that changes.

You left Iowa 20 years ago but contend it's gone downhill very quickly.

Sure...that checks out.

^^^Yep. The only college grads that RETURN to Iowa are the ones that inherited daddy's or their grandparent's farmland.

No one stays in rural areas unless they need really cheap housing.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
^^^Yep. The only college grads that RETURN to Iowa are the ones that inherited daddy's or their grandparent's farmland.

I know a lot of people that have stayed in rural areas. Some of them also have some pretty amazing houses because it’s cheaper to live there.
I also know a lot of people that moved away from rural areas but I’d say 95% of the people I know have stayed in Iowa.

Reactions: MitchLL
I know a lot of people that have stayed in rural areas. Some of them also have some pretty amazing houses because it’s cheaper to live there.
I also know a lot of people that moved away from rural areas but I’d say 95% of the people I know have stayed in Iowa.
Agree that housing costs can be a major consideration.

If you hate Iowa so much, GTFO.

Have you taken a look around Iowa lately. The entire state is a green space.
Iowa has the most developed landscape of all 50 states and the least public recreational area.

“In Iowa, we have the most altered landscape in America. The face of the landscape has changed more than any other state in the nation, due to agriculture and urbanization,” said Larry Gullett, the executive director of the Johnson County Conservation Board (JCCB). “Primarily due to agriculture.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT