ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Hawkeye references in movies and tv shows

For some reason i remember a story where iowa had no issues letting movies use their old uniforms. Think it helped protect their brand/trademark.

Then again i might just be dreaming this crap up.

Reactions: thrillpac
There’s a scene in season 2 of The Sopranos when they’re in the betting parlor and Furio asks if Chris likes Iowa with the points.

Iowa’s pretty well represented in Hollywood. Lots of Writer’s Workshop alumni in Tinseltown.
Flick is right on - plus a bunch of producers, directors and writers from the Iowa Playwrights Workshop too.

The Screaming Eagles of Minnesota State played Iowa in a bowl game on Coach.
The creator/main writer of that show went to Iowa! I was in Hillcrest (Near North 100s, by the corner door) when they were filming some exterior transition shots of "students" walking around, and was told to keep my blinds down for the shoot.

Last edited:
Can’t Buy Me Love. Bobby was a big star in southern California high school football. But, at Iowa, he was just a freshman trying to make it. Earn your spot, Bob. lol

maxresdefault.jpg

FWIW: Wife was re-watching The Gilmore Girls, season 6, and she noticed a scene at the Yale student newspaper that had a bunch of clippings on the wall, and the one most clearly visible next to the actor was a front page from The Daily Iowan with a black tiger hawk above the nameplate. Always fun to see that stuff.

Saved By The Bell. A.C. Slater was offered a full wrestling scholarship to Iowa. He had turmoil in his life though. This made the decision a difficult one. Among other problems, his girlfriend Jessi Spano was a pill popping feminist with A.C.’s balls soldered to her chastity belt. Tough times at Slater Hall.
So very tough!

when I was a little kid, and I used to watch Happy Days...... I always thought the pennant hanging at Arnold's said Iowa. My Dad would always have to correct me and tell me it said Iona. I think it was black and gold and that is what gave me the most confusion.

Not Hollywood but if you can find “The Last Game” you won’t be disappointed. Some Iowa ties in this documentary about a HS football coach in his final season as coach in PA. Pretty cool movie that aged really well too.

The classic 1999 film "Whiteboyz" features a scene at the original Fieldhouse bar in Iowa City's ped mall where the protagonists get into a fracas over an attempt to sell imitation illicit narcotics to unsuspecting collegiate scholars. Brilliant cinema.

They shot a house party scene for that movie in Bettendorf and gave small parts to a few local girls. What a terrible movie.

Last edited:
Furthermore, in the movie Major League, Ricky Vaughn's final scene of coming out the bullpen to the crowd going crazy singing wild thing, there's a fan on the third base line at or near the front row wearing a Hawkeyes football jersey.

1. In True Romance there is an Iowa football game on a TV in the background.
2. In (at least) one of the Air Bud movies, the school's fight song is On Iowa.

And, slightly OT: In The Big Chill, the big game is Michigan-Michigan State. People just assume it is Ohio State-Michigan. It isn't.

And even further OT (hope I'm not ruining the thread). Bill Walton is in Ghostbusters.
https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/bi...usters-appearance-confounding-dave-pasch.html

Last edited:
Also, in the remake of the movie The Crazies, when actor Timothy Olyphant is at the gas station the commercial over the loud speakers is telling people to get their Iowa Hawkeyes season tickets today.
I hit a HR in high school on the field the opening scene took place. Cool story I know. It took place in Lenox.

Reactions: Niko13
The classic 1999 film "Whiteboyz" features a scene at the original Fieldhouse bar in Iowa City's ped mall where the protagonists get into a fracas over an attempt to sell imitation illicit narcotics to unsuspecting collegiate scholars. Brilliant cinema.

Watched it again earlier this week and it was even better than I remembered. Deserved an Oscar and it should be on the AFI Top 100.

Alvin Mack regrets meeting the Hawkeyes[/MEDIA]

The casting in that movie is the best I’ve ever seen for a football film. Those actors looked and moved like real Power 5 college football players. The film even had cameos! When Lattimer tried to rape the petite young lady at the house party, it wasn’t Andrew Bryniarski in the scene. It was Christian Peter. The director really wanted to “sell” the sexual violence to the audience. So, they went out and hired the best.

Never Back Down. Several Iowa references including wearing Iowa t-shirts and discussing Dan Gable. Definitely on my top five list with the Godlfather. Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Big Short, and Shawshank

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT