ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Offers Class of 2025 Iose Epenesa (pronounced Yo-say)

I’d play for ISU for a mill. It’d take a lot more than that for me to represent the Huskers.
disgusted sarah michelle gellar GIF

NIL
$254K must be nice to be able to buy titles
Is this per year or all 4 years?

It has been several weeks since Iose's Miami visit. The longer this takes, the less likely Iose becomes a Hawk.

In our favor, I think the connectuon to Iowa is hard to break and we are a known entity putting DL in the NFL. Proximity could also help.

Seems like Miami is our stiffest competition. In their favor are Samoa ties to Eppy. New DC with an all-pro DE coach. Miami' NIL could impact his decision. Miami and the bright lights. Miami may also be putting a bug in their ear about Kirk's age.

I hope Iose keeps the Epenesa name going at Iowa. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It has been several weeks since Iose's Miami visit. The longer this takes, the less likely Iose becomes a Hawk.

In our favor, I think the connectuon to Iowa is hard to break and we are a known entity putting DL in the NFL. Proximity could also help.

Seems like Miami is our stiffest competition. In their favor are Samoa ties to Eppy. New DC with an all-pro DE coach. Miami' NIL could impact his decision. Miami and the bright lights. Miami may also be putting a bug in their ear about Kirk's age.

“The longer this takes, the less likely Iose becomes a Hawk.”

Exactly my thoughts.

When experts make the picks, it is time to look. However, one beat writer for Miami, who has been incorrect multiple times this year already, tells me this is a zero burger.
He’s had an 80% correct rate for the class of ‘25. Not saying he won’t be wrong again but I certainly like Iowa’s chances less after his prediction.

The age of the coach doesn't mean as much anymore, since players can leave anytime they want. Head coaches are more like CEO's...the relationship with the position coach is probably more important to players.
Well, I'm sure it's not being used against us, now that I that I know about players leaving whenever they want

Unless I missed something about his commitment date, the longer he waits the better for the hawks. Beating ISU is going to be huge for early season momentum and climbing the rankings. Miami is going to come out the gate and get spanked by UF. Actually, I feel when the season gets rolling Mizzou could pick up momentum. I am not the least bit worried about some On3 dingle form Miami.

I don’t disagree and that was my original thought but he’s been done with his visits for weeks now. For the life of me, I can never figure out why there’s no one taking OV’s to Hawaii.
I read an interview with an assistant coach at Hawaii once and he said they’re really careful to weed out the kids who just want a free trip to the islands. The staff knows they’re not going to be competing for a lot of 4-star kids not originally from Hawaii.

This site no longer lists Iose as a top target any more. They had been forecasting Iowa 100%. Looking more like Miami, probably dragging it out to be sure.

This site no longer lists Iose as a top target any more. They had been forecasting Iowa 100%. Looking more like Miami, probably dragging it out to be sure.
I noticed too. Clicked on his profile still has the one prediction for Iowa from Blair way back when and no other schools. I wouldn’t read too much into that. Why they aren’t showing it there anymore who knows.

Reactions: kkhawk

Doubt that it is age related. Certainly that could play a minor role. More likely that his knowledge of Kirk's "pet" policy (thru his 2 Hawkeye bothers) has turned him away.
If you take an honest look at Kirk's history with legacies, he really struggles. For every legacy P5 talent he lands he misses on 5 others. In fact the legacies he does land rarely get multiple years in the starting line-up.
Example: Markway was a TE recruit and a legacy. How the heck do you miss on that? Simple, KF is not a salesman. That's obvious from his 25 year history of telling the press about how handicapped he is at "lil ole Iowa".
When it's time to replace him, the AD (or committee) needs to find someone who can recruit as well as [develop]. Iowa treats its coaches well, to not demand ability in both areas is unforgiveable.

Reactions: DewHawk and kkhawk
Doubt that it is age related. Certainly that could play a minor role. More likely that his knowledge of Kirk's "pet" policy (thru his 2 Hawkeye bothers) has turned him away.
If you take an honest look at Kirk's history with legacies, he really struggles. For every legacy P5 talent he lands he misses on 5 others. In fact the legacies he does land rarely get multiple years in the starting line-up.
Example: Markway was a TE recruit and a legacy. How the heck do you miss on that? Simple, KF is not a salesman. That's obvious from his 25 year history of telling the press about how handicapped he is at "lil ole Iowa".
When it's time to replace him, the AD (or committee) needs to find someone who can recruit as well as [develop]. Iowa treats its coaches well, to not demand ability in both areas is unforgiveable.
So all the wins and NFL picks has you thinking Kirk can't recruit? Dumb

Clueless are we? So please enlighten us on just how Kirks "pet" policy affected. Eppy's boys? AJ was one dimensional when he got to Iowa, yet he still played a lot when he got there. Even he AND Eppy were clear that he was used and brought up in the system properly. He also had upperclassman (who became pros) playing in front of him. AJ matured and played a major role. He MAY have had a monster year as a senior had he stayed. Instead he went to the combine and performed poorly relative to the other draftees which led to him falling to round 2. ( Its clear he wasn't quite the athletic freak we all thought he was). I suppose that was Kirks fault? Eric simply isnt a D1 linebacker. Everyone in his family knows that He was like 185lbs when he got there. He's put on some muscle and has been a contributer on specials. As for missing on other legacy players, some kids don't want to follow in the same footsteps 25 years later. Also when many of their dads played at Iowa we weren't yet a consistent top 15-20 team. Now many of them have other options. Basically your just talking out your ASS......

Clueless are we? So please enlighten us on just how Kirks "pet" policy affected. Eppy's boys? AJ was one dimensional when he got to Iowa, yet he still played a lot when he got there. Even he AND Eppy were clear that he was used and brought up in the system properly. He also had upperclassman (who became pros) playing in front of him. AJ matured and played a major role. He MAY have had a monster year as a senior had he stayed. Instead he went to the combine and performed poorly relative to the other draftees which led to him falling to round 2. ( Its clear he wasn't quite the athletic freak we all thought he was). I suppose that was Kirks fault? Eric simply isnt a D1 linebacker. Everyone in his family knows that He was like 185lbs when he got there. He's put on some muscle and has been a contributer on specials. As for missing on other legacy players, some kids don't want to follow in the same footsteps 25 years later. Also when many of their dads played at Iowa we weren't yet a consistent top 15-20 team. Now many of them have other options. Basically your just talking out your ASS......
KC,

You and I don't always agree but in this case, you are spot on. AJ would have probably been an All-American if he had stayed another year but received very good 2nd round money. He's gotten better as a rush end in the NFL with some weight reduction and better quickness. Eric has been very committed as a walk-on and I'm sure has had a good share of his education paid for as a member of the team receiving NIL money. Good for him. Eppy, AJ and Eric have carried on the Hawkeye tradition. Hopefully Iose does the same.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Perhaps you can share your list of candidates that can recruit better than KF AND develop players better than KF. I am sure the list is pretty lengthy considering all of the programs who develop players better than Iowa. Just pick one and presto, problem solved.
Congratulations you just saved Iowa from forming a committee and hiring a search firm. My guess is Beth sends you a key chain and a magnet for your efforts.
Who knew that both ‘great recruiter AND great developer of talent’ was so common.

KC,

You and I don't always agree but in this case, you are spot on. AJ would have probably been an All-American if he had stayed another year but received very good 2nd round money. He's gotten better as a rush end in the NFL with some weight reduction and better quickness. Eric has been very committed as a walk-on and I'm sure has had a good share of his education paid for as a member of the team receiving NIL money. Good for him. Eppy, AJ and Eric have carried on the Hawkeye tradition. Hopefully Iose does the same.
It just gets old, the same drivel from some old posters and new ones about Kirks "union card" and "pet players". Utter nonsense. He plays the guys he and his staff think should be playing. End of discussion. Do they make mistakes sometimes, sure. But, i'd guarantee you Kirk and his staff know 100 times more about the game and their roster then anyone on this board. Parker Hesse is a PERFECT example of an over achiever who was VERY productive his last two years and was much better at carrying out his assignments in both the run and pass game then was AJ his first two years. Heese was also under rated as an athlete. A guy drafted as a DE and then ends up sticking in the league as a TE/FB. The things that posters here comment when they clearly have little actual insight could fill a convention hall.......

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT