ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa school voucher scam update: Private schools raising tuition up to 40%. Special ed services to public schools will have a 30 million dollar cut

We're talking about Iowa here, do you have any examples of Iowa public school teachers that prefer sending their children to private schools?
We have many. Granted a lot of them went to private schools as kids. I work with one who is loving her free money.

Just fir the hell if it...,did anyone here watch “Iowa Press” this past weekend on PBS? It was Part 2 of a (intelligent)discussion on what exactly this voucher legislation has delivered to public schools in Iowa.
2 weeks ago, the panelists repped private schools....one from Catholic schools in DSM the other a principal from a private school in Sioux County. This week’s panelist were Superintendants from a small school district in southern Iowa and the superintendent of Waukee schools ( who previously held the Dir of Ed St. of Iowa for Terry Branstad) before taking the Waukee job.
The 2 panelists both complained mostly about how “the State” has refused to advise the individual districts when asked particular questions about Iowa’s new laws and how they might affect education. The guests were asked specific questions by the media panelists but they were unable to give specific answers because they are waiting for advice from the state on what they can and cannot do. Both believed financially, they are going to be negatively affected...and both agreed that the smaller Iowa districts will be hit the hardest in the years to come. Both “experts” believed therefore that the purpose as stated by the legislature (and Governor) to help smaller school districts survive, was poorly engineered.
It was an interesting panel..both programs raised some interesting questions...questions that have not been addressed here.

That's sad. Why aren't they teaching at private schools if they truly think education is better there?

Well, for one, the difference in pay simply can’t be stated enough. For another, for some it might simply be they are devout Christian’s and wanted that included in their education-it doesn’t have to mean they think of it as a public vs private issue.

That's sad. Why aren't they teaching at private schools if they truly think education is better there?
Money. It bothers a lot of us. I get more irritated with administrators, especially like a superintendent, who live in and send their kids to a neighboring district.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Money. It bothers a lot of us. I get more irritated with administrators, especially like a superintendent, who live in and send their kids to a neighboring district.
To me, that shows more than a little moral bankruptness...it certainly is not limited to teaching/schools and educators...
It just seems to me that if one is a employee being paid by the public dollar, he/she should live in the locale that employs them and use the services (as much as possible) that the locality provides.
Over time, if this arrangement is undesirable or not sufficient, a person can move to a more accommodating position.
I feel this way about a variety of city, county and state employees...LEO, civic and city employees..fire fighters, first responders...Loyalty is a two-way Street.

Reactions: auntie_fah
Eat shit.
It blows my mind that a socially creepy teacher that posts are seen by his administration, school board and co-workers posts this daily. This is awesome, you embarrass yourself every post, go Davenport schools. I am sure TJ likes your complaints. Any plans to tell Iowa’s amazing governor she is a b#ttch and others like you have like 200 times on this site?

To me, that shows more than a little moral bankruptness...it certainly is not limited to teaching/schools and educators...
It just seems to me that if one is a employee being paid by the public dollar, he/she should live in the locale that employs them and use the services (as much as possible) that the locality provides.
Over time, if this arrangement is undesirable or not sufficient, a person can move to a more accommodating position.
I feel this way about a variety of city, county and state employees...LEO, civic and city employees..fire fighters, first responders...Loyalty is a two-way Street.
I work in one of the jobs you mentioned above and I agree with you. However, it gets tricky when you start dictating how and where families should live their lives.

I agree. More than a few of them do this for athletics.

It blows my mind that a socially creepy teacher that posts are seen by his administration, school board and co-workers posts this daily. This is awesome, you embarrass yourself every post, go Davenport schools. I am sure TJ likes your complaints. Any plans to tell Iowa’s amazing governor she is a b#ttch and others like you have like 200 times on this site?
Lol. I defend the people in my district constantly. Do we have issues? Yeah. But I defend the work people do a lot.

I work in one of the jobs you mentioned above and I agree with you. However, it gets tricky when you start dictating how and where families should live their lives.

Yeah I don’t love it if they do this solely for the school/athletics; but there are other factors that could play a role. Like, what if the significant other has a job elsewhere, so they chose the town/district in question because it made commute easier? What if it’s that much cheaper there? What if they did originally live/work in that district, and then got a better offer in a different school?

You actually think they’ll take SPED kids? Behavior problems?
Why would those parents want to send their kids to a school that is not equipped to handle their needs, because they've been underfunded by the State for decades?
But, if they think they could help them, with the resources they have, then yes, they would.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Why would those parents want to send their kids to a school that is not equipped to handle their needs, because they've been underfunded by the State for decades?
But, if they think they could help them, with the resources they have, then yes, they would.
It's closer. It provides a religious focus that they want. It's where the parents went. Any number of reasons. Yet they don't get to make the choice, the school does. And they won't choose a student who has challenges because they don't have to.

smh...how many special education kids...kids with IEPs/504's...attend the private school you support?

This seems like the kind of freedom that @NorthernHawkeye loves to inhale deeply.
There are no controls in place for this program. No caps on schools raising tuition and nobody is tracking the money.
AND more importantly NO (Democratic) State Auditor to investigate reported abuses……simply his definition of separation of church and state…….;)

It’s time to get more agnostics and atheists to run for office.
They can just lie like trump and claim to be Christian but actually use their brains when they vote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT