ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa school voucher scam update: Private schools raising tuition up to 40%. Special ed services to public schools will have a 30 million dollar cut

~130 new kids in the Elementary this fall, and that should increase over the next two years as the income restrictions are lifted.
If you're thinking about making the switch to a private school, better get in soon before all of the spots are taken.

Where is this at and how many of the 130 kids do they represent there?
Iowa City, and I'm not sure of the percentage. I was just told it was significant.
This first year, to qualify, you need to be at 300% under the Federal Poverty Level (90k for a family of 4).

Iowa City, and I'm not sure of the percentage. I was just told it was significant.
This first year, to qualify, you need to be at 300% under the Federal Poverty Level (90k for a family of 4).
What happens when the tuition is raised to match the amount the state kicks in?

I have heard there is over 60 Hispanics and low income from Ottumwa that open enrolled at Pella Christian. The issue is Pellais clickish with even non Dutch Pell people. I heard they hired some Spanish speaking teachers.

Reactions: Pinehawk
They raise tuition every year a little bit. Just like public school funding increases. Nothing has changed. Nobody suggested tuition would never increase. No matter how many fake scenarios you pretend are true.

Public school parents, this could be your teacher. Thankfully, now you’ve got options where the standards are a little higher.
Interesting take. I wonder what is wrong with a teacher that stays in private school. It makes little economic sense. Perhaps some are married to a spouse with good income/benefits, so staying at a school that does not allow kids with behavioral issues in makes more sense. From my experience, the public school teachers in Iowa City have been outstanding. I think their pay compared to other districts in our state makes a difference. Good teachers strive to teach in IC public schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Paris
I have heard there is over 60 Hispanics and low income from Ottumwa that open enrolled at Pella Christian. The issue is Pellais clickish with even non Dutch Pell people. I heard they hired some Spanish speaking teachers.
It’s a good business move for Vermeer in doing so. The Dutch ain’t stupid! Still, Ottumwa is a solid hour away from Pella....each way.
But then, is this something “verifiable” or “I heard it from my aunt, whose cousin had a kid going to school there...”

Last edited:
~130 new kids in the Elementary this fall, and that should increase over the next two years as the income restrictions are lifted.
If you're thinking about making the switch to a private school, better get in soon before all of the spots are taken.
It would be interesting to hear if all 130 kids finish the school year in your private school. I'm sure some will end up needing services your school won't be able to provide.

Reactions: Tom Paris
It’s a good business move for Vermeer in doing so. The Dutch ain’t stupid! Still, Ottumwa is a solid hour away from Pella....each way.
But then, is this something “verifiable” or “I heard it from my aunt, whose cousin had a kid going to school there...”
Comes from a teacher in Pella.

Good to see you acknowledge that it's not school choice for parents/kids but rather school's choice in who they take.

Public school parents, this could be your teacher. Thankfully, now you’ve got options where the standards are a little higher.
Remember when you thought that public schools got money for kids in their district who attend private school? That was hilarious.

This is the level of knowledge we're dealing with here, folks. He's not informed and even worse, he doesn't care.

This program is going to get bigger and more successful over the coming years.
You’re going to have to sustain your outrage for a long time. Pace yourselves.

Like Indiana? SMFH

This is a subsidy to the christian right who were already paying for their private education. Very few new students will be added and those will be at the discretion of the school. This is a complete farce.

Bigger? Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if Kimmie double downs on her stupidity when it starts showing major cracks and she claims that if only it can expand it will work.
What Pinehawk keeps ignoring is that even if the voucher program is as wildly successful as he says it will be, there's still a ceiling on that success - capacity at these private schools. Still crickets from Iowa GOP on how they'll fix the "failing" public schools in Iowa.

You mean someone who knows what he’s talking about? You’re bullshit attacks public schools, along with the kids I teach. You do damage to them so you can kindly STFU. I fight for them. Against your lies. We’ve been right all along.

By the way, the kids I teach and their parents love me.

It’s sad that you are so thrilled at the damage this program will cause kids in poverty.
130 families in poverty were just able to join a better school because of this program.
That’s not damaging, it’s a life changing opportunity.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Just keep educating those 400k like you had been.

These threads are always just a bunch of public school teachers upset because families want out. If they were doing such a great job, they’d have nothing to worry about. Nobody would want to leave.

These threads are always just a bunch of public school teachers upset because families want out. If they were doing such a great job, they’d have nothing to worry about. Nobody would want to leave.

No, we’re just wondering what the plan is to help those who can’t jump to private schools.

No, we’re just wondering what the plan is to help those who can’t jump to private schools.
Yeah, there is no plan. You can thank Gov. Reynolds and the Republican legislature for that.
Which is why families should take advantage of this program if they can, before all the openings are gone.

That's really a bunch of bullshit. Where there is funding the public schools in Iowa fare very, very well. It's where the funding is low that there are some problems. Not to mention the requirement that public schools teach EVERYONE, they don't get to pick and choose.

A great number of the vouchers being approved are for families who already go to public school. It's just a subsidy to them and an opportunity for the private schools to hike rates. They will be sure to manage the tuition so they dissuade the non-desirables from applying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT