ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa St has plenty of talent on D

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
@Lone Clone & @ISUBryce

I was pretty surprised by your defense. I know Heacock routinely fields a good D but I honestly felt it might be down a tick, but it is not. That TJ Tampa is a stud and in fact, I thought your defensive line & linebacker play over the years had been a bit better than your defensive back play. With some admittedly, solid scrappy, but under sized cornerbacks, but man they were good back there!

Over the years, I’ve taken slight umbrage at some of the guys on Cyclonefanatic like Cytwins, blowing about how they have similar talent to Iowa. Even though The NFL draft absolutely does not come close to bearing that out. However I was very impressed with the total talent on your defense. You are recruiting very good on that side of the ball…

It really is remarkable how much these teams & fanbases mirror each. Complete with the fans wanting to get rid of the conservative, predictable head coach & poor offense!

You also continue to find good Rbers? What’s the deal with Abu Sama, did Iowa even offer him….?

I know they didn’t look great yesterday but he needs to play more!

I liked both RBs for ISU. That kid from Des Moines has wiggle and can cut on a dime. The other one from Georgia looks strong as a bull. Their backfield has a bright future.

I also thought their young QB played a pretty good game especially for playing an instate rival in just his second start. I believe I counted 7 drops so his receivers and RBs didn’t help him out much.

@Lone Clone & @ISUBryce

I was pretty surprised by your defense. I know Heacock routinely fields a good D but I honestly felt it might be down a tick, but it is not. That TJ Tampa is a stud and in fact, I thought your defensive line & linebacker play over the years had been a bit better than your defensive back play. With some admittedly, solid scrappy, but under sized cornerbacks, but man they were good back there!

Over the years, I’ve taken slight umbrage at some of the guys on Cyclonefanatic like Cytwins, blowing about how they have similar talent to Iowa. Even though The NFL draft absolutely does not come close to bearing that out. However I was very impressed with the total talent on your defense. You are recruiting very good on that side of the ball…

It really is remarkable how much these teams & fanbases mirror each. Complete with the fans wanting to get rid of the conservative, predictable head coach & poor offense!

You also continue to find good Rbers? What’s the deal with Abu Sama, did Iowa even offer him….?

A group of 5th grade girls would look good against our shit sack offense.

We had 41 pts after 3 games last year, we have 44 now. We can actually throw the ball, our pass blocking is really very good We have explosive players and some explosive plays.

Iowa st has had a top tier D since Campbell has been there. This offense is better and opinions aren't created equal. I’m enjoying my favorite team and as I said in an earlier thread. I’m actually glad you are not Curt!

It makes my experience even better😂

Lol, the mental contortionism of convincing ourselves we don't have a problem is just really, really funny.

Only for you cuz. I like this team. The blocking and lost yardage plays last year was horrific. I’m enjoining the team. I had a great weekend at my buddies watching football. And the entertainment of grown men spending days on a message board complaining over and over, has reached comic proportions.

Lol, the mental contortionism of convincing ourselves we don't have a problem is just really, really funny.

Look at it another way… In the last five games versus Iowa State we have scored 85 points, or 17 per game. And you expect every fan to be just as pissed as you are when we scored 20…

Not this guy I’m happy as a clam.

We had 41 pts after 3 games last year, we have 44 now. We can actually throw the ball, our pass blocking is really very good We have explosive players and some explosive plays.

Iowa st has had a top tier D since Campbell has been there. This offense is better and opinions aren't created equal. I’m enjoying my favorite team and as I said in an earlier thread. I’m actually glad you are not Curt!

Ok I agree there is improvement. But, that is like going from an F grade to a D-. You might pass the class but the D- will not save BF's job. And, the offense has not scored 44 points. The pick six takes 7 off of your total in my book. And yes, safeties and turnovers contributed to the point total Iowa had last year. The measuring stick is not scoring more points than last year, b/c last year was horrific when it came to offensive production. Big improvements are expected. Almost 7 more points per game is the minimum expectation. So far, falling short against two bad teams is not cutting it. The 24 points vs Utah State is not something to point brag about. Vs ISU, Iowa scored 13 points on offense yesterday, against a team that only won 4 games last year and two of those wins were against SE MO State and Ohio U. ISU beat Iowa last year b/c Iowa couldn't even score more than ten points (Iowa has 7 points).
BF needs to be scoring significantly more vs far lesser programs to meet his measuring stick. Iowa has the most favorable schedule in school history this season. If BF can't average 25 points per game, I doubt people will lament his being demoted.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
I liked both RBs for ISU. That kid from Des Moines has wiggle and can cut on a dime....
Sama III impressed me as well, albeit limited touches. He's bulked up some since his 372 YD/6 TD performance in the '22 5A State Championship game running behind Southeast Polk's OL (Proctor led). Athleticism runs in Abu's family if I recall correctly.

Kirk mentioned regrets for not pursuing the kid, perhaps they felt he was a little light (170ish lbs) at the time. If he can stay healthy, he appears to have a solid college career ahead.

Ok I agree there is improvement. But, that is like going from an F grade to a D-. You might pass the class but the D- will not save BF's job. And, the offense has not scored 44 points. The pick six takes 7 off of your total in my book. And yes, safeties and turnovers contributed to the point total Iowa had last year. The measuring stick is not scoring more points than last year, b/c last year was horrific when it came to offensive production. Big improvements are expected. Almost 7 more points per game is the minimum expectation. So far, falling short against two bad teams is not cutting it. The 24 points vs Utah State is not something to point brag about. Vs ISU, Iowa scored 13 points on offense yesterday, against a team that only won 4 games last year and two of those wins were against SE MO State and Ohio U. ISU beat Iowa last year b/c Iowa couldn't even score more than ten points (Iowa has 7 points).
BF needs to be scoring significantly more vs far lesser programs to meet his measuring stick. Iowa has the most favorable schedule in school history this season. If BF can't average 25 points per game, I doubt people will lament his being demoted.

Then you’d have to take the defensive scores off the other games & I know there was at least 1 so it’s at worse a net equal and didn’t we average 17.5 points a game last year going up to 22 isn’t at least a C- minus?!

Whatever I honestly don’t care I’m still enjoying the team.

Honestly, I’ve only seen about two or three people on this board even stick up for Brian Ferentz anymore?!

• Haha
Then you’d have to take the defensive scores off the other games & I know there was at least 1 so it’s at worse a net equal and didn’t we average 17.5 points a game last year going up to 22 isn’t at least a C- minus?!

Honestly, I’ve only seen about two or three people on this board even stick up for Brian Ferentz anymore?!

It’s probably because his performance isn’t defensible. Honestly, I’m not sure where else he would continue to keep his job with the numbers his offenses have produced.

The funny thing is, it’s not Iowa fans saying it. It’s national pundits, many who played football at the collegiate and professional levels.

I'll say something nice about Brian. The dude has a beautiful head of hair. I'm kinda jealous. There. I said it.

Look at it another way… In the last five games versus Iowa State we have scored 85 points, or 17 per game. And you expect every fan to be just as pissed as you are when we scored 20…

Not this guy I’m happy as a clam.
Love your optimism. 13 points and 230 yards against ISU. Lol. You bring something special to this board.

• Haha
Love your optimism. 13 points and 230 yards against ISU. Lol. You bring something special to this board.

It’s not cancer bud?! And we are 2-0. When we get to the end of the year, I think I’m gonna end up being pretty satisfied with our win totals, and you will have sweated it out and been frustrated all year long. I’d say both of us are special for sure, but I’m gonna be a lot happier and more joyful then you are brother

It’s not cancer bud?! And we are 2-0. When we get to the end of the year, I think I’m gonna end up being pretty satisfied with our win totals, and you will have sweated it out and been frustrated all year long. I’d say both of us are special for sure, but I’m gonna be a lot happier and more joyful then you are brother
The good thing is I don't let Iowa football ruin my day or weekend. I just feel ok calling out where improvements can be made. But sorry, I'm not sweating Iowa football "all year long." I've got two daughters to take care of that, lol.

• Haha

Did you even read my post? I clearly stated,
"And, the offense has not scored 44 points. The pick six takes 7 off of your total in my book. And yes, safeties and turnovers contributed to the point total Iowa had last year. The measuring stick is not scoring more points than last year, b/c last year was horrific when it came to offensive production. Big improvements are expected. Almost 7 more points per game is the minimum expectation. So far, falling short against two bad teams is not cutting it."

25 points per game is the minimum. Also, I never criticized BF. I only stated the lack of production and referred to the details in his contract. I did not write that contract and nobody on this board did either. I am happy as heck Iowa is 2-0. And, so are all of the other people on this board, even those critical of BF. Personally, I think the woes have come from poor QB play the previous seasons that were exacerbated by an O-line that was not up to the O-line play one comes to expect from an Iowa football team. Never have I criticized either Ferentz (except the predictability of the offense-on another thread which does not make me unique, and you can scour just about every sports writer who has written on the Hawkeyes and they say similar things). and that predicability may very well be because the O-line play dictates it.

According to BF's contract less than 25 points per game would not be anywhere near a C-.

• Haha
They are very good on the back end.

Their front six has taken a step back. It’s still good, but it’s a step below last year. Very similar to Iowa from last year to this year defensively.

Iowa did improve offensively. ISU did not.

The good thing is I don't let Iowa football ruin my day or weekend. I just feel ok calling out where improvements can be made. But sorry, I'm not sweating Iowa football "all year long." I've got two daughters to take care of that, lol.

You still seem to have plenty of time to be here complaining. Take care of daughters, come her and complain about Iowa…..

Hmmm not hard to guess which one will be more meaningful on your death bed…

You get to the 4th quarter, like yesterday, and need to burn clock with the running game/run blocking ...and you can't convert on 3rd and 1, like yesterday, having a slightly improved pass protection isn't going to help.

In November, you better have a healthy running game to win when it counts. Iowa had 28 carries for 53 yards outside the 59 yard run by Patterson.

• Haha
You get to the 4th quarter, like yesterday, and need to burn clock with the running game/run blocking ...and you can't convert on 3rd and 1, like yesterday, having a slightly improved pass protection isn't going to help.

In November, you better have a healthy running game to win when it counts. Iowa had 28 carries for 53 yards outside the 59 yard run by Patterson.

Thank goodness that 59 yard run didn’t count. And Iowa rarely wins🤷‍♂️

• Haha

Significantly improved pass protection, and most rushing totals look worse without their longest run.

Other than that, yes, not being able to convert third and short, regardless of situation is infuriating. I swear there isn’t a team in the country worse at it.

Significantly improved pass protection, and most rushing totals look worse without their longest run.

Other than that, yes, not being able to convert third and short, regardless of situation is infuriating. I swear there isn’t a team in the country worse at it.
Yeah I've never been a fan of the "well take away THIS play and they only did this" thing. Still, scoring 13 on 230 yards against ISU is pathetic.

• Haha
Having raised two daughters I assure you there is no such thing as "plenty of time".
He's kind of a weird dude to imply that Iowa football would mean more to someone than their kids. His Ferentz Family ballwashing is at Defcon 1 after the first two weeks.

You still seem to have plenty of time to be here complaining. Take care of daughters, come her and complain about Iowa…..

Hmmm not hard to guess which one will be more meaningful on your death bed…
The guy with over 13,000 messages calling someone out for the time they are here. You just can't make this stuff up.....😂

@Lone Clone & @ISUBryce

Much like Iowa, they have a system that works and they recruit well to that system on defense.

I have said it before Campbell doesn't love some guys on this Iowa staff but he absolutely respects the heck out of Ferentz. He's basically trying to win the same way Kirk does. Iowa is just better at it and that bears out when you look at the results of the games.
TJ Tampa? Is that the "stud" who got ran over by Patterson and took himself out of the game?
That's him. PFF seems to think he's pretty good.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Yeah I've never been a fan of the "well take away THIS play and they only did this" thing. Still, scoring 13 on 230 yards against ISU is pathetic.

Yep pathetic to a team that has a defense like ISU… Pathetic is the word Id use.
The guy with over 13,000 messages calling someone out for the time they are here. You just can't make this stuff up.....😂

Since 2002… yeah you are right you can’t make that level of stupidity up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT