ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Iowa State

Ray Lima, Matt Leo, Kamilio Tongamoa, Eyioma Uwazurike, JaQuan Bailey, Jamahl Johnson, Carson Lensing, and Spencer Benton all played last season on the D-Line last season. The plus all the young guys who sat out last season provide strong depth.
You're basing depth off of who saw the field last year (regardless of how much they played or overall impact),and who you have coming in off red-shirt? Then Iowa has depth all over the field as well, and looking at Iowa's track record with developing NFL level talent, I have confidence that Iowa will have more quality depth and a much better team.

Iowa returns its best receiver in Fant who had more TD’s than any isu receiver last year while isu doesn't. Not a stretch at all to say Iowa wil see an increase and isu a decline.

And we return more rushing TDs by a long way than Iowa does. Plus we have a couple of WRs who redshirted who likely would have started for Iowa last year. Learn the name Tarique Milton, for instance. In addition to that, we bring in a WR who was higher ranked than Lazard coming out of high school, plus three other highly regarded WRs with multiple offers. I'm not saying Scates will be as good as Lazard or that he will even play next year because he could redshirt. We were deep at WR last year and will continue to be deep this year, despite the three graduated seniors. Will we be as good? Only time will tell, but there's a lot of reason to be optimistic.

And we return more rushing TDs by a long way than Iowa does. Plus we have a couple of WRs who redshirted who likely would have started for Iowa last year. Learn the name Tarique Milton, for instance. In addition to that, we bring in a WR who was higher ranked than Lazard coming out of high school, plus three other highly regarded WRs with multiple offers. I'm not saying Scates will be as good as Lazard or that he will even play next year because he could redshirt. We were deep at WR last year and will continue to be deep this year, despite the three graduated seniors. Will we be as good? Only time will tell, but there's a lot of reason to be optimistic.

The clowns really have a recruit ranked higher than #8 in the country? Do we know if this kid is going to be eligible? So if these players were so awesome why didn’t they play? Leave to to clown fans to be certain isu always has the top notch talent that is coming to their rescue.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Iowa has a much better quarterback (than ISU) and quarterbacks, along with a solid defense, win games. Also, when did the incoming recruits and redshirts for ISU, become so much better than the incoming recruits and redshirts for Iowa? According to the national recruiting experts - Iowa's recruiting classes have been much better (than ISU) since Campbell took over and Iowa proves over and over and over again that they have one of the best developmental programs in the country. You listen to Chris Williams too much.

For some reason clone fans seem to think if a guy has measurables or offers that equals “outstanding depth and talent.” ISU’s DL was close to invisible last year. 9.5 sacks for the whole line are returning and 7 of them are from Bailey who was shut out in the Iowa game. They had 1 whole sack as a team against us. What a bunch of studs...

Meanwhile Iowa returns 19.5 sacks on the DL and we’re worried about the interior DL.

Both Campbell Nd KF are good with game prep. Both QBs have experience and play their system. Offensive line edge to Iowa. DL slight to Iowa State. Receivers a tossup. Linebackers and DBs pretty even. Should be a hell of a game.

DL edge to Iowa. Lattimore and Nelson at tackle are good, both 290 ish. Look for B Reiff to get a lot of playing time. He's a bit small but a terrific athlete. C Golston has been moved to tackle in a attempt to get another very good athlete on the field. A Nelson has bonafide all-American potential. AJ at the other end will be a monster. The coaches will play 8-9 guys, people will be fresh in the fourth. Haven't even mentioned S Brincks who is a big body and had a solid year. We have enough quality depth that they can afford to redshirt Daviyon Nixon, a player that had an Alabame offer. Plus a couple of really nice prospects coming in the fall. One that was impressive at the Army bowl game.

LOL, at the edge to ISU.

okay, time out. First of all good thread, a lot of rational post. But defenses in the Big 12 are never really going to be high ranked, it is the style of football. It is up tempo, fast past, their is more snaps per game. There is a reason why statistically when Big 12 schools play good defenses in the non conference, all of the sudden that good defense doesn't look so good. That doesn't mean the Big 12 wins the game, it just means that the style of football dictates how many points are scored or how the game is played in most situations. Joe Klatt went into depth on this on one his shows. For example, Baylor against Michigan State a few years back. MSU I believe had a top 10 defense, Baylor shredded them for 3 quarters putting up 41 points(MSU ended up winning on Baylor miscues and making some big plays in the 4rth). Pitt last year had one of the top defenses in the ACC, yet Okie State put up 59 points on them and called off the dogs. Iowa was decent on defense last year, yet gave up 38 in regulation. So I don't think you can take anything from what defenses are ranked when ISU played a team and draw a conclusion from it. If Iowa were to play in the Big 12, and had to go round robin week after week against high octane offenses, they would drop in the defensive standings as well. Doesn't mean they wouldn't win a lot of games, they still could, it just means they wouldn't win games games 17-13.

The difference in plays per game is 3.2 (74 to 70.8) between Big Ten and Big 12. 3 plays per game is not a huge difference. Not enough to inflate the numbers.

Last edited:
The difference in plays per game is 3.1 (74 to 70.8) between Big Ten and Big 12. 3 plays per game is not a huge difference. Not enough to inflate the numbers.

Now don’t go using facts that disrupts long held clown fan myths. That simply won’t be tolerated and will be instantly ignored.

The difference in plays per game is 3.1 (74 to 70.8) between Big Ten and Big 12. 3 plays per game is not a huge difference. Not enough to inflate the numbers.
Maybe I am reading this completely wrong, but are you telling me that the Big Ten ran more plays per game than the Big 12? I would have guessed just the opposite, and by quite a margin.

Maybe I am reading this completely wrong, but are you telling me that the Big Ten ran more plays per game than the Big 12? I would have guessed just the opposite, and by quite a margin.

Big 12 ran 3.2 more plays per game. Sorry for the confusion.

My point was that those that tout the Big 12 as a conference loaded with super fast paced games as their excuses for bad defensive numbers are just wrong.

Last edited:
Ray Lima, Matt Leo, Kamilio Tongamoa, Eyioma Uwazurike, JaQuan Bailey, Jamahl Johnson, Carson Lensing, and Spencer Benton all played last season on the D-Line last season. The plus all the young guys who sat out last season provide strong depth.
So what would you say of Iowa's depth on the DL? The Hawks return Anthony Nelson, Parker Hesse, AJ Epenesa, Sam Brincks, Matt Nelson, Cedric Lattimore, Brady Reiff, Garret Jansen, and Chauncey Golston. Of those guys, three guys had solid production (Nelson, Nelson, and Hesse) ... and a 4th had impressive production given that he was only a true freshman (Epenesa). Additionally, Lattimore saw starter-quality reps and Reiff seems quite promising.

In comparison, of the guys you listed, Jaquan Bailey and Ray Lima are the main guys who had pretty solid production. As I've stated before, I'd say that Uwazurike seems pretty promising too.

If ISU's DL is deep ... then what does that make Iowa's DL?

Reactions: millhawk and buchs
Lattimore played solid football as the season went on. He's 295 now and probably will be a little bigger this fall. I think he makes more strides this year.

Reactions: kceasthawk
So what would you say of Iowa's depth on the DL? The Hawks return Anthony Nelson, Parker Hesse, AJ Epenesa, Sam Brincks, Matt Nelson, Cedric Lattimore, Brady Reiff, Garret Jansen, and Chauncey Golston. Of those guys, three guys had solid production (Nelson, Nelson, and Hesse) ... and a 4th had impressive production given that he was only a true freshman (Epenesa). Additionally, Lattimore saw starter-quality reps and Reiff seems quite promising.

In comparison, of the guys you listed, Jaquan Bailey and Ray Lima are the main guys who had pretty solid production. As I've stated before, I'd say that Uwazurike seems pretty promising too.

Didn’t Nixon pick up an Alabama offer playing at Iowa Western last year too?

The only concern I have heard about the D Line this year is it might be a little light in the middle. That will be a non factor against the clones. When Wiscy runs five 6'8 320pounders at us it will be a concern, that o line ISU is bringing to the table, C latt and the boys will eat up. The Clones only chance, like last year, they can make young corners so dumb things. Its alot easier to make a player make a poor choice when there are 2 solid receivers, a scheme can cover 1 good wr. As far as the "we have more running back production returning".... we are Iowa, at 32 I could go put up 800 yards behind our line of I didn't get hurt. Don't worry about our run game. Injuries might hamper us late in the season with depth but we will still have plenty of bodies for ISU.

Seriously? Your expecting to beat OU again this year? That would be like Iowa expecting to beat OSU the next time we play them by 32 points. Could it happen? Yea maybe, but dealing in realism you'd have to figure about 10% chance you would beat OU again. I can see the ISU staff preaching that gospel to the players, to motivate them and inspire them. Good luck though. If the Clones can pull that off again this year, it just makes the Hawks victory at Kinnick that much better......:cool:

The only concern I have heard about the D Line this year is it might be a little light in the middle. That will be a non factor against the clones. When Wiscy runs five 6'8 320pounders at us it will be a concern, that o line ISU is bringing to the table, C latt and the boys will eat up. The Clones only chance, like last year, they can make young corners so dumb things. Its alot easier to make a player make a poor choice when there are 2 solid receivers, a scheme can cover 1 good wr. As far as the "we have more running back production returning".... we are Iowa, at 32 I could go put up 800 yards behind our line of I didn't get hurt. Don't worry about our run game. Injuries might hamper us late in the season with depth but we will still have plenty of bodies for ISU.
To be fair, not many teams are going to go up against Wisconsin and have a size advantage on the line

Cool.

Unfortunately there's a big "miss" in the linked piece. The "luck" example works for gambling...things will always regress to the mean in a static environment with constant variables.

Winning in sports is not simply "luck", there are many factors in play which are determined by the participant. It's a dynamic environment. Otherwise every team would have a .500 lifetime record +/-

That being said, the clones will remain the clones.

This game is always played on raw emotion. Because of that the score will be closer then it should be. Hawks by 7 in regulation. Not an OT game this year.

Imo opinion Iowa has depth as well. I will try to actually explain why I think ISU has depth and not just spout off random shit to try to make a point like others on my side have on here before. The 1st thing you have to look at i how bad DL play and DL recruiting was when Paul and the boys were in Ames. It was absolutely horrible. The thing Campbell has done has went out and got a bunch of guys that would not have even looked Iowa States way 5 or 6 years ago. The 2nd thing is depth to me is when you have 2,3, or even 4 guys that can come into a game at any point and put out a positive output and not just be random bodies to throw out there and fill up holes when the 1 or 2 decent guys on the DL get hurt. The 3rd thing has to do alot with the 1st thing and thats the actual players ISU can put out there. As stated above in your post Iowa State has 2 All conference players that will play but what's behind them is what's intriguing. You have 2 guys who were Top JUCO DL Prospects in last season's Class in Tongamoa 6'5 310 and Leo 6'7 280 pounds finally healthy enough to get some really meaningful PT this season. Jamahl Johnson is 6'0 315 and is considered by many to be the fastest dude on the DL, Spencer Benton is the smallest guy at 245 pounds but he is the typical high effort high motor kid from Iowa that both our fan basses have come to know and love, Carson Lensing is alot of the same as Benton but has a few inches and pounds on Benton, Eyioma Uwazurike is still probably the most raw player that played last season and he has alot of growing game wise before he even taps into his whole potental. There is a trio of RSFRESH that may get a chance to prove something this season in Cordarius Bailey, Tucker Robertson, and Angel Dominguez. Robertson is a 6'3 285 pounds from California and is one of the most violent DL Prospect I have ever seen on film, Dominguez is 6'4 275 pounds and was one of the top DE prospects in the Midwest coming out of Kansas, last is Bailey who will play more of the LB/DE position when ISU plays a 3 man front he is 6'3 220 pounds and is crazy athletic he was on of the top players in Mississippi his SR year. All in all am I somewhat confusing Depth for Potential? Maybe but you have to remeber there is more potential in the DL group than there has ever been at Iowa State and because of that there are more legit players that can play and to me that means more depth wheher or not that depth is proven up to this point. The DL room has came a million miles since Campbell has stepped on Campus.

Reactions: JohnO-2
Seriously? Your expecting to beat OU again this year? That would be like Iowa expecting to beat OSU the next time we play them by 32 points. Could it happen? Yea maybe, but dealing in realism you'd have to figure about 10% chance you would beat OU again. I can see the ISU staff preaching that gospel to the players, to motivate them and inspire them. Good luck though. If the Clones can pull that off again this year, it just makes the Hawks victory at Kinnick that much better......:cool:
Didn’t expect to beat them last year with Mayfield and a QB starting his first game. Expect ISU to be much deeper and better. Will OU?

I think we probably have a better chance to beat OU again than to beat TCU again, and not a really good chance for either. But who knows? If we're going to lose on the last series of the game to Kansas State again, as we've done more most of the past 10 years, we're going to have to pick up a win somewhere ::(

Didn’t expect to beat them last year with Mayfield and a QB starting his first game. Expect ISU to be much deeper and better. Will OU?
Here's a good reason ISU probably won't beat OU this year - you lost Lazard, and he made your QB's look a lot better than they were. He was a big, physical, and experienced receiver that could chase down floating ducks and found a way to get away with offensive pass interference - when his talent wasn't enough. That takes nothing away from his overall talent, but he knew how to use his size and strength to his advantage....particularly in the red-zone. Additionally, I don't care what Chris Williams is pumping out of his a$$ for click bait - there is no way ISU has two 'lock down' corners. Most teams are lucky to have one corner with that kind of talent, let alone two....and I saw nothing from the clones (last year) to even indicate they have one corner that can completely lock down one side of the field. It's a ridiculous statement from a fan boy blogger, but if that gains him more clicks and a bigger clone following, more power to him. Just don't expect others (outside the clonefanatic site) to buy this kind of propaganda.

Reactions: Hawkeyefan565
Lattimore played solid football as the season went on. He's 295 now and probably will be a little bigger this fall. I think he makes more strides this year.
Lattimore really seemed to get more of a feel for the D as the season progressed ... and consequently, he was able to play faster and get in on more plays as a result. I certainly agree that he should be poised to make a pretty significant developmental step in his play through the '18 season.

This is why I share some fellow Hawks skepticism about some guys not he ISU DL. For example, Jamahl Johnson has played for 2 consecutive years ... playing in 16 games and has recorded just 4 tackles and 0.5 TFLs. He may be an important teammate insofar as how he contributes at practice ... but it doesn't appear to be translating to production on the field. Also, Tongamoa contributed all of 4 games and registered a single tackle. Similarly, talking up Matt Leo is equally baffling ... the guy may be a very good athlete given his size, however, he's still reasonably raw as a talent on the DL. I at least understand some enthusiasm concerning Lensing, because in the 4 games he played in, he at least registered 1.5 sacks, along with 4 tackles. Still ... not a lot of experience ... but I can at least see some of the promise there.

Of course, to ISU's credit, I definitely agree that JaQuan Bailey, Ray Lima, and Eyioma Uwazurike all come across as being totally legit talents. Of course, it's worth mentioning that Bailey is the "veteran" of the group ... and he's going to be a JR in 2018 (and he's seen starts in each of the past 2 seasons). The latter two guys have only see action on the D1 level for one season.

As a point of contrast, Hesse and M. Nelson are each going to be 5th year seniors ... both of whom will be entering their 4th year playing. Hesse will be in his 4th year starting ... whereas M. Nelson will be in his 3rd year starting. Anthony Nelson will be entering his 4th year in the program ... and his 3rd year starting. Even one of Iowa's least experienced guys ... Epenesa ... not surprisingly showed great promise last year ... he's a 5-star guy who will likely be seeing a number of reps comparable to a starter in '18. And, of course, much improved guys like Lattimore and Reiff will each be entering their 3rd year seeing reps for the Hawks ... although last year was their first year of really seeing a larger number of high quality reps.

Thus, my excitement about the Iowa DL is largely attributable to the fact that the Hawks have a great mix of both high-level talent AND experience!

Because you are the clowns. Do you guys ever have back to back winning seasons?
Agreed and because it is really hard to go from being the "hunter" to being the "hunted".... They will get everybodies best shot in 2018 and I just don't think they are ready to make that step just yet. Maybe season 2020.

Here's a good reason ISU probably won't beat OU this year - you lost Lazard, and he made your QB's look a lot better than they were. He was a big, physical, and experienced receiver that could chase down floating ducks and found a way to get away with offensive pass interference - when his talent wasn't enough. That takes nothing away from his overall talent, but he knew how to use his size and strength to his advantage....particularly in the red-zone. Additionally, I don't care what Chris Williams is pumping out of his a$$ for click bait - there is no way ISU has two 'lock down' corners. Most teams are lucky to have one corner with that kind of talent, let alone two....and I saw nothing from the clones (last year) to even indicate they have one corner that can completely lock down one side of the field. It's a ridiculous statement from a fan boy blogger, but if that gains him more clicks and a bigger clone following, more power to him. Just don't expect others (outside the clonefanatic site) to buy this kind of propaganda.
I don’t read or listen to Chris Williams

Agreed and because it is really hard to go from being the "hunter" to being the "hunted".... They will get everybodies best shot in 2018 and I just don't think they are ready to make that step just yet. Maybe season 2020.
State had a nice year (relatively speaking) last year, but nobody is circling them on the schedule yet

Reactions: SPECTRE
Will isu be able to sneak up on anyone this year or do isu fans think they can out talent and out coach WVA,Texas, OU,TCU, Iowa and Okie State?

Hey as a fan I understand optimism, but your not really saying now that ISU reloads like OU are you? I mean follow the logic here. Iowa beats OSU like a drum this year with a first year starter true soph at QB, and he throws 5 TD's, while OSU plays a senior who has won a national title, much bigger recruit, and he throws 4 interceptions. Do I think if they played this year, that we'd have the same outcome? A NO! Weird things happen in some games, and sometimes you benefit from a perfect storm in a game. I've seen Iowa get rolled in some bowl games when I was sure the other team wasn't that much better. Sometimes it just goes down like that. I wouldn't plan on beating OU on a regular basis though.

Reactions: millhawk

Plus losing their OL/OC coach. Don’t under estimate potential impact. How many times have you seen units take a step back when they lose a coordinator from one year to the next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT