ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Iowa State

Were you paying attention? We were deep at WR last year. There was no need for a freshman to burn his redshirt year. We had former starters relegated to third team last year. WR was the deepest position on the field last year. It still is.

and how many of these awesome players are so talented that they will be drafted in the first 3 rounds in two weeks?

Or are we to believe they are so awesome that they weren’t good enough to unseat players the NFL doesn’t want?

The fact remains that isu has 2 receivers returning with a total of 12 TD’s between them. Iowa has Fant with 11 by himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
What has happened far too often? Losing to ISU? ...

As to what KF's record should or shouldn't be against ISU, he's won 7 of the last 10 against Iowa State, with the losses all by 3 points. Of the 7 wins, 5 by double digits (and wins of 28, 39 32 among those. A .700 mark against any P5 team is good. Of course, the last decade isn't the totality of KF's record against ISU, so he has to own that as well.

Accurate numbers...also a nicely-spun version of things. Here's another view which is also factual.

It took KFz 19 years to establish a winning record against ISU, widely considered one of the worst Power 5 programs in NCAA football. That powerhouse Kansas was the only regular opponent that had a worse record vs ISU during KFz's tenure

BTW over the last 10 years, UNI has a .600 winning percentage against ISU...so perhaps .700 isn't as impressive considering that.

Last edited:
Accurate numbers...also a nicely-spun version of things. Here's another view which is also factual.

It took KFz 19 years to establish a winning record against ISU, widely considered one of the worst Power 5 programs in NCAA football. That powerhouse Kansas was the only regular opponent that had a worse record vs ISU during KFz's tenure

BTW over the last 10 years, UNI has a .600 winning percentage against ISU...so perhaps .700 isn't as impressive considering that.

I didn't spin anything. I readily acknowledged that KF has to own his entire career against Iowa State, which isn't great. But apparently if I didn't say "KF sucks" I'm a loyalist or whatever.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Oklahoma had a mediocre defense and they entered the game completely overlooking the Cyclones. When the Cyclones answered every punch ... that planted seeds of doubt. It was a great credit to the Cyclones for winning ... particularly when starting an absolutely new guy in the game.

Oklahoma raced out to a 17-3 lead and was up 24-13 at half. Not sure how that generated seeds of doubt. If anything, Oklahoma figured they had already taken ISU's best punches and fell asleep at halftime.

Oh, and how many teams in the Big XII aren't mediocre at defense?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Yeah, I'm just not seeing it. Iowa State has depth along the D-line as well, a lot of depth. In fact there's depth all over the field at Iowa State, except for possibly the safety position, which, admittedly is untested for the most part. But they return the two guys who started the bowl game at that spot. And Iowa lost it's top two RBs and a lot of WR production. I'm just not seeing that much offensive improvement, unless you're counting on a massive leap from your offensive line from last year. Even then, I'm just not seeing it.

Iowa losing "a lot of WR production" is the funniest s#it I've read in a long time.

Oh, and Iowa State does not have all kinds of depth over the field. You're either kidding or delusional.

Of course you aren't seeing much of anything other than the inner walls of your rectum. With the inane drivel you just constructed, that's painstakingly obvious.

I went to CF which I do once a week to see PsychoTwins posts. We have no chance to win. The only reason why we can win is because the game is our Super Bowl and we care more about it than any Big 10 game and they care more about South Dakota St or Akron or Kansas then us. So maybe we can win even with their 1 and 1a Heismans with their QB and RB. But don't know. Wow what a program. They just reload.

I went to CF which I do once a week to see PsychoTwins posts. We have no chance to win. The only reason why we can win is because the game is our Super Bowl and we care more about it than any Big 10 game and they care more about South Dakota St or Akron or Kansas then us. So maybe we can win even with their 1 and 1a Heismans with their QB and RB. But don't know. Wow what a program. They just reload.

The king of cyclone delusional is psychotwins.

I didn't spin anything. I readily acknowledged that KF has to own his entire career against Iowa State, which isn't great. But apparently if I didn't say "KF sucks" I'm a loyalist or whatever.

KF's record against Iowa State reflects 1) Iowa State is vastly improved compared to where they were during the eighties and nineties 2) Iowa football was in bad shape when KF took over and 3) Iowa has had mediocre teams under Ferentz.

Over the last decade and a half, Ferentz is 10-5 against Iowa State. Should it be better? Probably. But when both Iowa and Iowa State are mediocre, Iowa State tends to win. 2017 (I believe at least so don't quote me on it) is the first year KF managed to beat Iowa State when the Cyclones ended up with a winning record.

So, IMO, what Ferentz's record against ISU indicates is that Iowa has had plenty of mediocre teams during his tenure that Iowa State has managed to eke out wins against. Nothing more.

Herky - I won't post there cause I know he gets paid for posts on his trolls. He is a sick person. He knows more about Iowa then I would ever know. I can't believe how sad that must be. I check it once a week and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. How can an ISU "fan" post every stat for football or basketball within 1 minute of other posts?! That boy is on a bad path.

Yeah, there are plenty of Cyclone fans who are idiots.

I've met plenty of Hawkeye fans who aren't much brighter.

I agree on idiot fans. But some obsession there and knowledge of us is sick. Jesus they have 16k posts on our recruiting for football and 1K for their recruiting. That is really pathetic.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
If history is any indicator, Iowa will likely beat Iowa State in 2018.

When Iowa State has beaten Iowa in recent memory, it's usually because Iowa couldn't dominate in the trenches and had a bunch of turnovers. This season Iowa's OL should be better and the DL will absolutely tear some s#it up. I also think Iowa might actually have a productive passing game this year.

While Iowa State as a program (for now) is trending up, they will most likely take a step back record-wise this season. I say most likely because it's nearly impossible to predict these things anymore, but conventional wisdom would say ISU will likely go 6-6 this year.

Last edited:
I agree on idiot fans. But some obsession there and knowledge of us is sick. Jesus they have 16k posts on our recruiting for football and 1K for their recruiting. That is really pathetic.

Oh, I totally agree. Their fan base is a special kind of pathetic. They want desperately for others outside the state of Iowa to take notice of an 8-5 season and also want to rid themselves of the label of playing 2nd fiddle in the state, but spend an inordinate amount of time focused on the Hawkeyes. It makes no sense.

With that said, a lot of Iowa fans on here need to keep how retarded Cyclone fans look in mind the next time they think to post something about Nebraska.

and how many of these awesome players are so talented that they will be drafted in the first 3 rounds in two weeks?

Or are we to believe they are so awesome that they weren’t good enough to unseat players the NFL doesn’t want?

The fact remains that isu has 2 receivers returning with a total of 12 TD’s between them. Iowa has Fant with 11 by himself.

What many Cyclone fans fail to realize is in the Big XII a s#it ton of teams have WR talent and score a bunch of points. Iowa State is not talented enough most years to get in a track meet with most Big XII teams which is why their conference record is usually horrible.

Also, Iowa State has put up 3, 20, 9, 7, and 5 points their last 5 trips to Iowa City. If you do the math, that's 8.8 points/game.

Yet, their going to have an offensive explosion this year in Kinnick replacing most of their top skilled position players from last season. :rolleyes:

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
Were you paying attention? We were deep at WR last year. There was no need for a freshman to burn his redshirt year. We had former starters relegated to third team last year. WR was the deepest position on the field last year. It still is.
Former starters relegated to 3rd string? Maybe a sign of depth ... maybe a sign that the development of some guys have run parallel to that of Warren?

The fact remains that ISU lost 3 SR top WRs from last years squad. They return Butler, Jones, Eaton, and Epps? Of those guys, only Butler and Jones have really executed at a high level previously. I'm sure that ISU has a bunch of young, talented players on the roster too ... however, those guys aren't experienced either!

Thus, it would wise to differentiate between deep in talent versus deep with experienced talent.

The king of cyclone delusional is psychotwins.
CyTwins is also known to troll Iowa recruits and the McCaffery kids on Twitter. He or she is a special kind of pathetic.

Reactions: HerkyFan
CyTwins is also known to troll Iowa recruits and the McCaffery kids on Twitter. He or she is a special kind of pathetic.
I've never seen him on CR. Is he a regular on CF?
He’s probably referenced roughly once a month (on this site) about the asinine comments he makes on clonefanatic. I believe he’s a regular on Chris Williams site and some Hawkeye sites, yes.

We have slightly better odds than a coin flip to beat Iowa State every year under KF. Plain and simple.
Sorry. I have to disagree with you here as do not think you know what you are talking about. Plain and simple. I’ll take Iowa -1 all day long.

What gets me is that with over 35,000 posts he has gone from being a wack-a-doodle to now he is just what isu stands for and what it is to be a cyclone. Why else would his act be tolerated?

Last edited:

What gets me is that with over 35,00 posts he has gone from being a wack-a-doodle to now he is just what isu stands for and what it is to be a cyclone. Why else would his act be tolerated?
They continue to ‘raise the standard,’ right?

He is a bad person. I go once a week to read and it is amazing. Some Hawk will post something and within 1 minute he posts a QB rating or JoBo's assist to TO ratio. The guy is sick. He has over 35k posts and probably 90 percent are about Iowa. He gets paid by CF to do his deal. It is really sad. Get a real job. Not jerk off cause your little group of Clones tell you how great your troll is. Horrible life he must half to sit all day and post on the Hawks and get enjoyment cause you lie and troll.

Oh, I totally agree. Their fan base is a special kind of pathetic. They want desperately for others outside the state of Iowa to take notice of an 8-5 season and also want to rid themselves of the label of playing 2nd fiddle in the state, but spend an inordinate amount of time focused on the Hawkeyes. It makes no sense.

With that said, a lot of Iowa fans on here need to keep how retarded Cyclone fans look in mind the next time they think to post something about Nebraska.

The thing I find most ironic is when Iowa has had 8-5 record last 2 seasons clone fans are over here saying Iowa is irrelevant nationally because we are only 8-5. Yet funny thing is after last season now they think they are but yet Iowa isn't. Were they a nice story for national media for 2-3 weeks. Yeah I'll give them that just like Iowa was after beating OSU. End of the day they ended season with 2nd most wins in school history and still weren't ranked. I like many others always want to see Iowa follow up a successful season with another one and will be interested to see how they do with actual expectations for the first time in forever next season.

KF's record against Iowa State reflects 1) Iowa State is vastly improved compared to where they were during the eighties and nineties 2) Iowa football was in bad shape when KF took over and 3) Iowa has had mediocre teams under Ferentz.

Over the last decade and a half, Ferentz is 10-5 against Iowa State. Should it be better? Probably. But when both Iowa and Iowa State are mediocre, Iowa State tends to win. 2017 (I believe at least so don't quote me on it) is the first year KF managed to beat Iowa State when the Cyclones ended up with a winning record.

So, IMO, what Ferentz's record against ISU indicates is that Iowa has had plenty of mediocre teams during his tenure that Iowa State has managed to eke out wins against. Nothing more.
What precisely would you define as constituting being "mediocre?" I don't know if I'd classify losing to ISU as a necessary indicator of the Hawks being mediocre ... no matter how bad the Cyclone team might be.

As we all know, particularly given Ferentz's developmental philosophy for the program ... the Hawks do, in fact, have a tendency to come out of the gate a little slow. We also know that part of that is also linked to experience and quality of play in the trenches. In years when the Hawks are more on the inexperienced side in the trenches ... the Hawks tend to have issues, particularly early in the season. Sometimes these early struggles are also attributable to the OL being dinged coming out of summer/fall-camp ... and the necessary juggling necessary to cover for the injuries. However, once guys get healthy and once the OL "gels" .... usually the quality of play goes on the uptick.

Of course, another key ingredient is the quality of our QB at the time ... or, at the very least, the status of our QB at the time. Usually the Hawks converge towards having a pretty solid QB (albeit, not always a NFL quality QB).

In 2005, the Hawks had one of their worst losses to the Cyclones ... and I'd still claim that the '05 squad was mediocre early in the season, but developed into a pretty fine team. Also, while the '11 squad was far from perfect - I also consider them better than mediocre.

If you were to compare the 2014 vs 2016 squads ... both underperformed. However, at least the '16 squad got decimated by injuries. The '14 season was perplexing given how much talent was on the squad ... but how poorly they played together (at times) as a team. The '14 squad should have performed better ... but could justifiably be described as a mediocre "team" ... because the locker-room clearly was divided that season and they underperformed on so many levels (poor execution by the players, poor coaching by the coaches, even negligent inattention by Kirk).

Both ISU and Iowa replace 3 of their top 7 receivers by total yardage. Iowa returns 1,531 receiving yards from last year. ISU returns 1,474 receiving yards from last year.

Of course this means only ISU will have production decline.
I love how you throw Butler and his 4 receptions in there to make this sound comparable. Iowa State loses 3 of their top 4 pass catchers, with Butler returning. 159 receptions lost from last year. Iowa loses 56 receptions between Vburg and Wadley. Let's use our brains on this one.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
He is a bad person. I go once a week to read and it is amazing. Some Hawk will post something and within 1 minute he posts a QB rating or JoBo's assist to TO ratio. The guy is sick. He has over 35k posts and probably 90 percent are about Iowa. He gets paid by CF to do his deal. It is really sad. Get a real job. Not jerk off cause your little group of Clones tell you how great your troll is. Horrible life he must half to sit all day and post on the Hawks and get enjoyment cause you lie and troll.

He is a horrible person but I doubt he gets paid to do that.

In 2014, our QB was incapable of throwing an accurate pass more than 12 yards downfield and defenses knew it.

We have a lead at halftime of the ISU game. He throws a pick early in the 2nd half and became as inept as any QB I have seen start for the Hawks. (OK, Jeff Christiansen was just as bad).

I distinctly remember Beathard coming in to save the day vs Purdue and then the next week, when 99% of the fan base realizes who the best QB on the team is ... out comes check down Jake.

Anyway, that team could have been a lot better. Who was more responsible for that ineptitude- Rudock or the coaches? I will leave that for you to draw your own conclusions. Thank God he made the off-season switch to C.J.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
It's debatable it honestly is. I do think Iowa State has more talent in more position groups. I would take almost everyone on the offensive side of the ball for Iowa States over Iowas players aside from the oline. Iowa State has more talent at WR than Iowa and will have some of the fastest athletes ever seen in a Cyclones Uniform in that group plus arguably one of if not the fastest player in the nation as the #2 RB. Iowa has more talent at some spots on defense and like i said above the OL but overall I do think ISU has more talent across the board other than a few spots.
I would take Montgomery, Butler, and Good-Jones on the offensive side of the ball.

In 2014, our QB was incapable of throwing an accurate pass more than 12 yards downfield and defenses knew it.

We have a lead at halftime of the ISU game. He throws a pick early in the 2nd half and became as inept as any QB I have seen start for the Hawks. (OK, Jeff Christiansen was just as bad).

I distinctly remember Beathard coming in to save the day vs Purdue and then the next week, when 99% of the fan base realizes who the best QB on the team is ... out comes check down Jake.

Anyway, that team could have been a lot better. Who was more responsible for that ineptitude- Rudock or the coaches? I will leave that for you to draw your own conclusions. Thank God he made the off-season switch to C.J.
Rudock could complete longer passes ... however, for whatever reason, he worried way too much about making mistakes. Consequently, when playing for the Hawks, he was tremendously risk averse. The problem with when he would throw some longer balls ... he'd throw them late ... and then the timing was necessarily already off. Consequently, a lot of those passes either would go for incompletes ... or for picks.

Rudock wasn't nearly as bad as many folks in this fan base seem to think ... however, I'd acknowledge that his development genuinely seemed to stagnate (which is odd, because Beathard continued to progress throughout his career). At the end of the day though, Jake proved to be an A-hole because he gave up on the team.

What many Cyclone fans fail to realize is in the Big XII a s#it ton of teams have WR talent and score a bunch of points. Iowa State is not talented enough most years to get in a track meet with most Big XII teams which is why their conference record is usually horrible.

Also, Iowa State has put up 3, 20, 9, 7, and 5 points their last 5 trips to Iowa City. If you do the math, that's 8.8 points/game.

Yet, their going to have an offensive explosion this year in Kinnick replacing most of their top skilled position players from last season. :rolleyes:

Jump ball to their tall receiver and hand off to their decent running back. Those will be the go to's. We have a lot of tape on Kempt. I know he played good on the road, but he has never been to Kinnick at night for this game.

I love how you throw Butler and his 4 receptions in there to make this sound comparable. Iowa State loses 3 of their top 4 pass catchers, with Butler returning. 159 receptions lost from last year. Iowa loses 56 receptions between Vburg and Wadley. Let's use our brains on this one.

They both lose 3 of top 7 pass catchers. The total receiving yardage returning is close. You are pointing out that Iowa isn’t as diverse offensively which I won’t argue

They both lose 3 of top 7 pass catchers. The total receiving yardage returning is close. You are pointing out that Iowa isn’t as diverse offensively which I won’t argue

How many points does a team get for yards gained? Last I knew you only get points for TD’s, FG’s and on the rare occasion a safety.

In that vain Iowa has substantially more production returning in the passing game than isu.

But tell us how the rules of football really work.

Reactions: RogerKint
How many points does a team get for yards gained? Last I knew you only get points for TD’s, FG’s and on the rare occasion a safety.

In that vain Iowa has substantially more production returning in the passing game than isu.

But tell us how the rules of football really work.
ISU returns guys who account for 24 of their 43 TDs.

Iowa returns guys who account for 26 of our 44 TDs.

No judgement either way ... but the returning TD numbers seem pretty comparable to me.

What IS interesting is that ISU racked up nearly 800 more yards on O ... and yet scored fewer TDs on O.

ISU returns guys who account for 24 of their 43 TDs.

Iowa returns guys who account for 26 of our 44 TDs.

No judgement either way ... but the returning TD numbers seem pretty comparable to me.

What IS interesting is that ISU racked up nearly 800 more yards on O ... and yet scored fewer TDs on O.

I would guess the yard variation has to do with our defense getting turnovers and starting the o with shorter fields. (Just a guess)

Iowa has a much better QB, so there’s that factor to consider as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT