ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Iowa State

Hawks win by a couple tds. Lil bro will put up a fight as usual, but Iowa will prevail with depth on the DL, Improved offensive attack, and Kinnick home field advantage.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing it. Iowa State has depth along the D-line as well, a lot of depth. In fact there's depth all over the field at Iowa State, except for possibly the safety position, which, admittedly is untested for the most part. But they return the two guys who started the bowl game at that spot. And Iowa lost it's top two RBs and a lot of WR production. I'm just not seeing that much offensive improvement, unless you're counting on a massive leap from your offensive line from last year. Even then, I'm just not seeing it.

Reactions: MOClone
Yeah, I'm just not seeing it. Iowa State has depth along the D-line as well, a lot of depth. In fact there's depth all over the field at Iowa State, except for possibly the safety position, which, admittedly is untested for the most part. But they return the two guys who started the bowl game at that spot. And Iowa lost it's top two RBs and a lot of WR production. I'm just not seeing that much offensive improvement, unless you're counting on a massive leap from your offensive line from last year. Even then, I'm just not seeing it.

What depth is that?

okay, time out. First of all good thread, a lot of rational post. But defenses in the Big 12 are never really going to be high ranked, it is the style of football. It is up tempo, fast past, their is more snaps per game. There is a reason why statistically when Big 12 schools play good defenses in the non conference, all of the sudden that good defense doesn't look so good. That doesn't mean the Big 12 wins the game, it just means that the style of football dictates how many points are scored or how the game is played in most situations. Joe Klatt went into depth on this on one his shows. For example, Baylor against Michigan State a few years back. MSU I believe had a top 10 defense, Baylor shredded them for 3 quarters putting up 41 points(MSU ended up winning on Baylor miscues and making some big plays in the 4rth). Pitt last year had one of the top defenses in the ACC, yet Okie State put up 59 points on them and called off the dogs. Iowa was decent on defense last year, yet gave up 38 in regulation. So I don't think you can take anything from what defenses are ranked when ISU played a team and draw a conclusion from it. If Iowa were to play in the Big 12, and had to go round robin week after week against high octane offenses, they would drop in the defensive standings as well. Doesn't mean they wouldn't win a lot of games, they still could, it just means they wouldn't win games games 17-13.

Well then maybe clone fans should take that into account when trying to compare qb numbers and talking about in earlier post about kempt being better than Stanley.

Reactions: taHawkeyes
Well then maybe clone fans should take that into account when trying to compare qb numbers and talking about in earlier post about kempt being better than Stanley.

Good luck with that. The Baylor v. MSU example is an interesting one. Baylor didn't score in the last 20 minutes of that game, and those "Baylor miscues" included a blocked FG and late interception. Because of course, MSU's defense had nothing to do with those. They were miscues.

The key factor in this matchup is that IT IS GAME#2 for both teams and using the old improvement adage, who improves the most will win.

I do think that ISU has more quality depth than they generally have had in the past. I still think ISU is going to have some pretty exploitable areas though.

Iowa losing Wadley is big. He was a true play-maker and put Iowa on his back several times the last two years. Losing Butler, not as big a deal. He was a real solid back, but he spent most of the year injured and was largely a non-factor, unfortunately.

Iowa really didn't lose very much WR production. Vandeberg had a pretty disappointing Senior season, never really seeming to recover from his foot injuries. We will miss his leadership more than anything. Any loss there is more than made up for with the growth of other players at WR who had a bit of baptism by fire such as Smith-Marsette and B Smith (B Smith didn't put up any real numbers last year as a Tr Freshman, but has really been coming along and is a physical receiver that Iowa has struggled to recruit to IC). Steady veteran players like Easely complement the youth. Transfer Groeneweg (who was injured last year) is really turning heads as well. He is sort of Ryen-like with his speed and ball skills. Could be a real weapon not only at receiver, but also in the return game. When you combine the WRs with Iowa's embarrassment of riches at TE (and an OC who really knows how to use them)...I wouldn't sleep on Iowa's passing attack.

I think Iowa's offense is actually going to be pretty high-octane this year, and much, much more consistent.

The defense is actually much more concerning, with major questions and development needed at D Tackle, LB, and Safety. Not good to have concerns at every level in the middle of your defense. But, Iowa has shown that they have a consistent tradition of high level defensive play, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt there until shown otherwise.

Because those games are so representative of Kirk's typical game
Maybe not, but I think often its more that we struggle offensively then that KF has the team sit on leads of 3 points or less, which was the posters claim. Does he sit on leads late in games, absolutely, we all know that KF can be risk averse. You could also find plenty of games where we pushed the offense when KF was comfortable that we had the upper hand, and the opponent wasn't able to stop us. I remember several games against MSU where they were helpless and we pushed the score, as well as some games against NWestern, like the one on their homecoming where Wadley ran for four TD's leading to a 40-10 blowout. Not really fair to make a blanket statement either way.

I do think that ISU has more quality depth than they generally have had in the past. I still think ISU is going to have some pretty exploitable areas though.

Iowa losing Wadley is big. He was a true play-maker and put Iowa on his back several times the last two years. Losing Butler, not as big a deal. He was a real solid back, but he spent most of the year injured and was largely a non-factor, unfortunately.

Iowa really didn't lose very much WR production. Vandeberg had a pretty disappointing Senior season, never really seeming to recover from his foot injuries. We will miss his leadership more than anything. Any loss there is more than made up for with the growth of other players at WR who had a bit of baptism by fire such as Smith-Marsette and B Smith (B Smith didn't put up any real numbers last year as a Tr Freshman, but has really been coming along and is a physical receiver that Iowa has struggled to recruit to IC). Steady veteran players like Easely complement the youth. Transfer Groeneweg (who was injured last year) is really turning heads as well. He is sort of Ryen-like with his speed and ball skills. Could be a real weapon not only at receiver, but also in the return game. When you combine the WRs with Iowa's embarrassment of riches at TE (and an OC who really knows how to use them)...I wouldn't sleep on Iowa's passing attack.

I think Iowa's offense is actually going to be pretty high-octane this year, and much, much more consistent.

The defense is actually much more concerning, with major questions and development needed at D Tackle, LB, and Safety. Not good to have concerns at every level in the middle of your defense. But, Iowa has shown that they have a consistent tradition of high level defensive play, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt there until shown otherwise.
I'm not really worried about the DL at all. We have a solid group. I'd expect Lattimore and Nelson to have fine seasons, and the backups will be serviceable. The DE's as a group, may be the best we've had in as long as I can remember. While the LB's will have some growing pains, there's some pretty solid athletes there as well. Unlike other years when we've turn over all the LB's at once, this season we'll have guys on the field that have been in the system for three or four years, unlike when we we're forced to play Morris and Jewell as pups. Also think the group at safety will be plenty solid. As a group Snyder, Hooker, Stone, Gervase, and frosh Cradeeth, should be more then up to the task.

You just go back and review your episodes of scientific american frontiers there chief. Salt will be poured on the wounds next fall in Kinnick.

Reactions: dekhawk
Look at the defenses Iowa played and isu played when kempt was starting. Night and day difference. Iowa 4 vs top 20 defenses & 8 of them in the top 50. Kempt 1 vs top 50. Besides TCU faced 71st osu, 81st OU, 94th kstate, 96th texas Tech, 109th wvu, 118th KU and Memphis ranked 121st which was good for bottom 10 defenses in the nation last year.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

From a talent perspective, Park is/was far superior to Kempt. But Park's whatever problems he had (I could harbor a few guesses) made him a head case and poor leader. Obvious from watching ISU they played much better as a team after Park left. Yes, they played crappy defenses but Kempt also played well. It will likely be a good game. Whichever team has addressed its weaknesses better by Week 2 will win. Iowa appears to have an advantage on both lines and is playing at home. But nothing is guaranteed.

What depth is that?

Ray Lima, (all-Big 12) Jamahl Johnson (played as a freshman), Tucker Robertson, all at nose/DT. Add Kamilo Tongamoa and Joshua Bailey if they go to a 4-man front. Plus Matt Leo, 6-7, 280 coming off a redshirt year and Uwazurike 6-6, 290, both listed at DE, but can be moved inside if needed. Jaquan Bailey, coming off an all-Big 12 year at DE, Carson Lensing, another DE who got some valuable time last year, plus Spencer Benton, who has played a lot, and Dan Sichterman, who has been turning heads in practice. If there's a consistent theme from coaches after spring practices, it's the depth along the defensive line and all over the field, really.

Reactions: MOClone and mrcyfan
If I were an ISU fan I would be pissed if they didn't win 9 games. They play South Dakota St and Akron besides their Iowa super bowl out of conference. Plus play in by far the worst power 5 conference. And if you listen to Clone fans if their QB doesn't win the Heisman their RB will. ISU is so lucky no regional jobs were really open or Campbell would have been gone. A 9 win season this year bye-bye. Unless Campbell knows how crappy the Big 12 is and knows Pollard will pay whatever to keep him.

Ray Lima, (all-Big 12) Jamahl Johnson (played as a freshman), Tucker Robertson, all at nose/DT. Add Kamilo Tongamoa and Joshua Bailey if they go to a 4-man front. Plus Matt Leo, 6-7, 280 coming off a redshirt year and Uwazurike 6-6, 290, both listed at DE, but can be moved inside if needed. Jaquan Bailey, coming off an all-Big 12 year at DE, Carson Lensing, another DE who got some valuable time last year, plus Spencer Benton, who has played a lot, and Dan Sichterman, who has been turning heads in practice. If there's a consistent theme from coaches after spring practices, it's the depth along the defensive line and all over the field, really.
"Tristan, Alaric, come on over here boys. These are my All American tackles that don't do nothing but knock the piss out of folks."

I'm not really worried about the DL at all. We have a solid group. I'd expect Lattimore and Nelson to have fine seasons, and the backups will be serviceable. The DE's as a group, may be the best we've had in as long as I can remember. While the LB's will have some growing pains, there's some pretty solid athletes there as well. Unlike other years when we've turn over all the LB's at once, this season we'll have guys on the field that have been in the system for three or four years, unlike when we we're forced to play Morris and Jewell as pups. Also think the group at safety will be plenty solid. As a group Snyder, Hooker, Stone, Gervase, and frosh Cradeeth, should be more then up to the task.
DE's are definitely strong. But, at Tackle I need to see a little more out of Lattimore, and Nelson's health is a little concerning. Depth behind them is a little bit sketchy. Could be totally fine, but I wouldn't say that I am not worried at all.

Agree on LB's. I think we have some real talent there, and for the most part, they have time in the system. They are still a little lost from what I have heard, but it is spring and there is still a lot of shuffling going on. I am pretty confident that we are not looking at a situation like we did when we had to throw Jewel, Bower, and Niemann out there undersized and inexperienced. Welch, Hockaday, Jones, Mends, Niemann...we should be fine. Even Doyle is pretty intriguing.

Safety concerns me still. Hooker is pretty solid, and will keep getting better...but I have concerns about Snyder's recovery, and Gervase has to play much smarter, because he just doesn't seem to have the athleticism to recover if he makes a mistake. It will be interesting to see if Stone forces his way in there.

Like I said, I will always give our defense the benefit of the doubt, as we almost always seem to put a quality product out there, but I think that there are still plenty of legitimate areas of concern.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If I were an ISU fan I would be pissed if they didn't win 9 games. They play South Dakota St and Akron besides their Iowa super bowl out of conference. Plus play in by far the worst power 5 conference. And if you listen to Clone fans if their QB doesn't win the Heisman their RB will. ISU is so lucky no regional jobs were really open or Campbell would have been gone. A 9 win season this year bye-bye. Unless Campbell knows how crappy the Big 12 is and knows Pollard will pay whatever to keep him.

That all you got?? Hack fans like you excel at spouting unsubstantiated drivel. (I know, I know... those are big words... go look them up)

When I think depth I think proven talent coming off the bench. Lima's a starter, as is Lensing, Uwa, and Bailey from what I can tell. Beyond height/weight, have Leo, Tonga, Benton, Robertson, Johnson, Dan proven anything on the field in an ISU uniform? That's what having depth means.

Both Campbell Nd KF are good with game prep. Both QBs have experience and play their system. Offensive line edge to Iowa. DL slight to Iowa State. Receivers a tossup. Linebackers and DBs pretty even. Should be a hell of a game.

Reactions: MOClone
Both ISU and Iowa replace 3 of their top 7 receivers by total yardage. Iowa returns 1,531 receiving yards from last year. ISU returns 1,474 receiving yards from last year.

Of course this means only ISU will have production decline.

Iowa returns its best receiver in Fant who had more TD’s than any isu receiver last year while isu doesn't. Not a stretch at all to say Iowa wil see an increase and isu a decline.

Good luck with that. The Baylor v. MSU example is an interesting one. Baylor didn't score in the last 20 minutes of that game, and those "Baylor miscues" included a blocked FG and late interception. Because of course, MSU's defense had nothing to do with those. They were miscues.

A Baylor receiver was running for a td at the 5 yard line in the 4rth Q. He stuck out his arm and grabbed a MSU players face mask. The play got called back. There was no reason for him to do that, that is the big miscue in that game. That would have made the score 48-21 in the 4rth Q. Baylor ended up getting penalties, then got their fg blocked and MSU ran it back for a TD. That made the score 41-28. That put it in reach for MSU. The point is like a lot of other defenses outside the Big 12, playing a Big 12 offense results in your defense not having a good day, even if you win the game. See Georgia trying to deal with OU. And really, it's not as extreme as it was from say 2007 to 2014 because the Big 12 was the first league to have so many teams play that style of football. You are seeing high scores in a lot leagues these days. When Missouri, Texas A and M, and Gus Malzahn brought their versions of the uptempo spreads to the SEC, it even change the way that league played football.

Nice first post MO. I kind of know what the words mean. Thanks though. Simple idea. Go jerk off on CF on why you will win the Big 12 in football and go to the final four and how Dresser will turn the wrestling program around. The absolute delusion from little brother is sad and pathetic. Simple question. Why on CF are there more posts on the the Hawk programs, like 8 to 1, then Cyclone programs? I mean PyschoTwins has 35K posts and 90 percent deal with Iowa. What is wrong with you people?!

All that might be true, but let's examine one Matt Campbell. What is this Matt Campbell guy doing exactly? He's trying to establish the rush. Build an offensive line from in state recruits that can be developed. Play defense.

Exactly what I preached Iowa State should be doing before Cyclone Fanatic decided to censor me, consequently depriving me of my Constitutional rights, under the guise, presumably from their counsel, of the broad protections web-sites are afforded. Recently pierced by DOJ, but I digress. Suffice it to say, it's clear Iowa State doesn't have a law school.

Strange thing really. That group of liberals preaching tolerance, letting trolls troll, and banning anyone who doesn't fit their world view. Stranger yet that the team that they are a fan of hired a coach to do precisely what I suggested, and they started to win some football games.

And here we all are, anonymous on a message board. In April. Talking about 1 out of Iowa's 13 football games next fall.

Jaquan Bailey is a big time player. Ray Lima seemed pretty darn solid. Also, at least against Iowa, I remember that Uwazurike impressed me ... really long athlete ... moved surprisingly well given his size. Given the depth that was developed ... I would agree that ISU's DL has been upgraded compared to prior years. Of course, they'll also be facing off against an Iowa OL that should be improved from last year too.

ISU lost some depth at CB and lost some good safeties.

Furthermore the game will be at Kinnick ... so the Hawks will likely be attempting to execute a "looser" game-plan ... one where they're a little more willing to take chances. Should those chances pay dividends for the Hawks ... the extra momentum advantage that the home-field advantage can supply a team can be pretty significant.

An understated consideration is that usually younger players have a much greater capacity for improving early in their career ... compared to players later in their career. This is obviously not a hard, absolute rule ... but it is empirically pretty well established. Thus, this leads to the intriguing question ... how much better will Kempt be in 2018? How much better will Stanley be in 2018? Regardless of what others say, the truth remains that Kempt will be surrounded by fewer weapons in '18 than he had in '17. How about Stanley? Iowa loses Wadley ... but last year we also already saw the promising emergence by Toren and Ivory. The Hawkeye O was really young last year ... how will they be with an extra year under their respective belts?

ISU rolls. Won’t be close.
giphy.gif

by far the worst power 5? That is hardly ever the case with the Big 12. Do your research. Plus, you have to consider going round robin in a league where generally all the teams are in the top 50 with the exception of KU is not easy. If ISU plays in the worst power 5, why is their strength of schedule always so high? Last year was the one exception where Iowa's schedule was similar to ISU. Playing in a 14 team league and in the weaker division of that league and some years actually getting do dodge all of the tough teams from the other division (2015) is an easier deal than what Iowa 'State has to go through.

by far the worst power 5? That is hardly ever the case with the Big 12. Do your research. Plus, you have to consider going round robin in a league where generally all the teams are in the top 50 with the exception of KU is not easy. If ISU plays in the worst power 5, why is their strength of schedule always so high? Last year was the one exception where Iowa's schedule was similar to ISU. Playing in a 14 team league and in the weaker division of that league and some years actually getting do dodge all of the tough teams from the other division (2015) is an easier deal than what Iowa 'State has to go through.

Because of us, dumbass.

Stanley had all day to throw last year, which was a huge factor in us winning. The DL is better than normal for ISU, but very average overall.

What depth is that?
Ray Lima, Matt Leo, Kamilio Tongamoa, Eyioma Uwazurike, JaQuan Bailey, Jamahl Johnson, Carson Lensing, and Spencer Benton all played last season on the D-Line last season. The plus all the young guys who sat out last season provide strong depth.

Ray Lima, Matt Leo, Kamilio Tongamoa, Eyioma Uwazurike, JaQuan Bailey, Jamahl Johnson, Carson Lensing, and Spencer Benton all played last season on the D-Line last season. The plus all the young guys who sat out last season provide strong depth.

So as long as a guy has played he = depth. Interesting.

So as long as a guy has played he = depth. Interesting.
Yes all but Tangamoa and Leo "because they were hurt" played alot of snaps last season and proved they were good enough players to be on the field

Last edited:

Again Iowa returns more TD production in the passing game than isu, called Fant and Hockenson. No surprise that clown fans can’t grasp this.

I would honestly be more surprised if Iowa State wins 8 games again than I would be if they miss a bowl game completely. I don’t think they have much talent at QB, and Iowa State as a team is due for some regression to the mean in turnover luck.

I would honestly be more surprised if Iowa State wins 8 games again than I would be if they miss a bowl game completely. I don’t think they have much talent at QB, and Iowa State as a team is due for some regression to the mean in turnover luck.

That is what’s so funny about clown fans. They think isu will suddenly now win 8 games a year going forward.

Of course when you ask them how they went from first to worst in MBB they will all say they saw a down turn coming. Yeah right, the next clown fan that said isu was going to finish last in the Texas Ten this past season in basketball will be the first one. The myopians on cryclown fanatic are still arguing how this season really wasn’t as bad as it actually was.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT