ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa WBB 2025 Recruiting Thread

The WNBA are imbeciles. They have a generational talent in CC and they go out of their way to make things as difficult as possible for her. This isn't how you showcase the leagues next SS. Too bad CC got drafted by the Fever. They seem clueless how to use her and coach a team. Then THERE ARE THE REFS. WTF. Why aren't there flagrant fouls called and players ejected for these hits to the head? The hits are intentional. Then there is to horrible scheduling. Your star player has to play 11 games in 20 days. Who does this,and they are the only team that had to do this. CC goes from a grueling college season straight into the league with no break. Surprised she hasn't gotten injured or has any legs left.

The WNBA are imbeciles. They have a generational talent in CC and they go out of their way to make things as difficult as possible for her. This isn't how you showcase the leagues next SS. Too bad CC got drafted by the Fever. They seem clueless how to use her and coach a team. Then THERE ARE THE REFS. WTF. Why aren't there flagrant fouls called and players ejected for these hits to the head? The hits are intentional. Then there is to horrible scheduling. Your star player has to play 11 games in 20 days. Who does this,and they are the only team that had to do this. CC goes from a grueling college season straight into the league with no break. Surprised she hasn't gotten injured or has any legs left.
what does this have to do with recruiting>??

I guess if she doesn't want to win anything that is the place to go...
You may forget or just don't know that Kelsey Plum (all-time leading scorer before Caitlin passed her) played at Washington. Maybe she was Brynn's idol. I always thought she was a long shot.

You may forget or just don't know that Kelsey Plum (all-time leading scorer before Caitlin passed her) played at Washington. Maybe she was Brynn's idol. I always thought she was a long shot.
Oh I do but Washington isn't a good team that is what i was saying....had nothing to do with Plum and never have read anything that she was Brynn's idol anywhere

can't blame her for wanting to stay home...

really to bad Iowa still has not turned the CC effect into alot of big time recruiting wins yet
Addi Deal is certainly a big time recruiting win. That said, I fear this may be the first of many disappointments with the class of 2025. Perhaps 2026 too.

What's anyone hearing on Speiser or any other 25 prospect?
Hawkbuck a couple of weeks ago said that Iowa is near the top of Speiser’s list but not at the top. Based on social activity, she is very warm to Notre Dame and K State. Her dad also was very excited about an offer from LSU. Abby still seems to be very engaged with her on X so it seems the staff hasn’t moved on quite yet.

Kyle also recently mentioned on the HR board that he heard Hays is having trouble narrowing her list down. That doesn’t rly bode well for us IMO. I also noticed when doing the McGaughy recon that Hays has lots of interest Washington as well. Though her mom is still a die hard hawk fan it seems lol so at least there’s that.

Wondering if the class of 2025 may be done…crickets from Skinner (though she’s been busy with other commitments). Can we think of anyone else in ‘25 who has even visited campus? Nothing to indicate any further interest from other targets like Henderson, Jackson, or Jernigan either for months.

Last edited:
Addi Deal is certainly a big time recruiting win. That said, I fear this may be the first of many disappointments with the class of 2025. Perhaps 2026 too.
If that is true.....then the CC effect meant next to nothing for Iowa Women's basketball which is really to bad.

If that is true.....then the CC effect meant next to nothing for Iowa Women's basketball which is really to bad.
Lucy Olsen and Ava Heiden are also very impressive in different ways, even if they’re (probably) not All American caliber.

We’ve had a pretty decent run of exciting commitments with Heiden, Guyton, Deal, and Olsen tbh. Lots of big wins there that demonstrate an expanded footprint and growing cachet.

We all want to return to a Final Four and we may have the potential for that but are not quite on track for that goal. The onus is on Jan of course to keep the momentum going and get over that hump when it comes to elite kids…we still need one or two more pieces to get there…

But it remains the truth that recruiting has always been an uphill battle for Iowa WBB. I’m not sure we should expect that to dramatically change now that we’ve had an internal coaching change.

Last edited:
Addison Deal, ESPN ranked #12 from California, and Lucy Olsen are 2 huge CC-effect recruiting wins. Before those 2, I was in the camp waiting for the CC-recruiting effect, but Deal and Olsen are huge national recruiting wins. And Houston is an above average local/regional recruiting win.

I hope Jan keeps swinging for the fences in regard to the recruits she pursues. There will be several swing and misses, McGaughy and Hays were always going to be tough because of the distance from home. For me Emilee Skinner would be the most treasured recruit that Iowa could still land in the 25 class but again it is a long way from home.
For the 25 class it will be interesting to see names that may pop up as “fallback” options, Midwest kids that may be late bloomers etc.
IMO the 26 class will be the key to seeing how the Iowa program is progressing on the recruiting front under Jan’s leadership, A lot of Midwest talent available that would really help alleviate the distance factor and who knows maybe pluck a girl from either coast that distance from home isn’t a huge factor.

I hope Jan keeps swinging for the fences in regard to the recruits she pursues. . . .
IMO the 26 class will be the key to seeing how the Iowa program is progressing on the recruiting front under Jan’s leadership . . .
Agree with your post. Also think it would help if Jan would hire an assistant with a demonstrated ability to recruit top talent. With the additions from the Pac-12, the talent in the BIG is going to be at an all-time high, making elite recruiting, regional and national, even more of a priority.

I hope Jan keeps swinging for the fences in regard to the recruits she pursues. There will be several swing and misses, McGaughy and Hays were always going to be tough because of the distance from home. For me Emilee Skinner would be the most treasured recruit that Iowa could still land in the 25 class but again it is a long way from home.
For the 25 class it will be interesting to see names that may pop up as “fallback” options, Midwest kids that may be late bloomers etc.
IMO the 26 class will be the key to seeing how the Iowa program is progressing on the recruiting front under Jan’s leadership, A lot of Midwest talent available that would really help alleviate the distance factor and who knows maybe pluck a girl from either coast that distance from home isn’t a huge factor.
The transfer portal is fertile ground as well. I don’t believe that the Maryland model should be followed but one or two transfers when you have an obvious need (such as Olsen this year) is critical IMO to sustaining a successful program. At least as important as HS recruiting.

Reactions: Scott559

I agree, I hope she keeps aiming high, there’s no reason not to. I wouldn’t be surprised if Libby Fandel is an option they look to (not that she would necessarily say yes at this point) — I noticed Jan Liked an X post about her on May 19.

The transfer portal is fertile ground as well. . . . At least as important as HS recruiting.
I agree, I hope she keeps aiming high, there’s no reason not to. I wouldn’t be surprised if Libby Fandel is an option they look to (not that she would necessarily say yes at this point) — I noticed Jan Liked an X post about her on May 19.
Transfer portal and fall-back high school recruits seem like alternative options. Unless Jan thinks that a fall-back recruit is significantly under ranked, I would pass and hold the scholarship for better portal or next high school class options.

I don't see them offering a 2/3 guard but you never know. Guyton & Levin are combo guards though Aaliyah could play point as well, Deal could play 2 or 3. Mallegni and Houston project at 3/4. McGaughy could play inside or out at the 4. I don't think they're in on another player with her skill set. With Heiden in 24, where would Hays fit? They're both interior players at this point & with their accolades, would either accept a backup role for multiple years? If you have both on the court the pace would certainly be slower. They'd obviously take Speiser but new guard offers would surprise me.

Reactions: shikreto
Transfer portal and fall-back high school recruits seem like alternative options
They are alternative options by definition. But scholarship players are leaving every school, including Iowa ….almost 1200 WBB players transferred last year IIRC.

No guarantee that Heiden, or Deal, or any other contributing player will be here 2-3 years from today. Jensen, like other major college HCS, will need to attract talented transfers to stay competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT